Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 Final Gate: Chapters 15 - 18 & Epilogue
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

RichardBaker
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

129 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2006 :  01:15:17  Show Profile  Visit RichardBaker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As a number of folks have observed, the series was really crammed to fit it into the space available. I had to resist the temptation to widen the net any further. The dwarves do play a pretty big role in the battle near the Lost Peaks, where the army of the Silver Marches helps out the wood elves.

quote:
Originally posted by hammer of Moradin

Rich, was the exclusion of dwarves in the series intentional, or were you just wanting to focus on elves? Not that you needed a good dwarf character, but at some point they would have been involved in at least some of the events, especially in the North and Silver Marches regions!

Oh, and I'm a Cubby.

quote:
Originally posted by RichardBaker

Where's the challenge in rooting for a team that wins all the time? Being a Phillies fan is like being a Cubs fan, except that instead of having decades of misery occasionally relieved by a shining hope that gets dashed to nothing at the last moment, you just have decades of misery. Hard to say which is worse.

Rich Baker
Wizards of the Coast, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2006 :  01:34:49  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi,

I enjoyed the entire Last Mytal trilogy, especially the Final Gate one. Of course, without strict words count limitations, it could have gone deeper in details/lore.

The Crusade idea was great; I liked very much the true resurrection usage to bring back the ancient hero. The Zhentarim attack that turned to an easy take over is a bit too much saying : I missed space to do it like I planed it.

To M. Baker : It's really bad to let us wait for the status of the Standing stone I would also like to ask you to take at look at your thread in the Chamber of Sage

Edited by - Skeptic on 27 Jun 2006 01:35:19
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2006 :  13:48:17  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just finished it!

and I enjoyed it

A few points

I love that evil at least won in some small way ie Zhentil Keep claiming Hillsfar (Although this makes Mysteries of the Moonseas even less useful )

This I imagine should mean Scyllua Darkhopes recruitment penalty in Powers of Faerun should be changed after all the Zhents have just toppled an enemy who has oppossed them for decades

The whole demons servicing together with devils thing doesnt worry me Ive always though of the whole planescape/blood war thing as being rather stupid. Arch devils and Demon Princes arent stupid (Stat wise most have Inteligences in the High 20s and would realse that the Blood war is costly waste of resources)

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2006 :  20:43:41  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Guardians of the Vale are pretty cool Great scene when they first arrived and began their attack.

Quite nice when Malkazid meets up with Fflar again and recalls what happened before.

Malkazid's tower looks very imposing. This scene was very well described and gave that feeling that Araevin and company were certainly out of their depth!

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2006 :  21:57:33  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hah! loved it when Malkazid was just about to kill Seiveril and then stopped as he sensed that something was occuring back in his tower in the Barrens. Saved by the bell

Speaking of disappearances, a nice touch when the Guardians of the Vale started to fade away and the last one bowed and touched his head to the hilt of his sword in a sign of farewell. Beautiful.

The whole scene in Malkazid's tower was great! I was completely gripped by this part. I liked when Marosa casually stepped through the whirlwind to get the shard. I (unlike Araevin) was sure she would be fine, being an air genasi, but wouldn't have put any bets on it

Once thing I liked was how Malkazid then went back to Sarya to tell her what had happened and ordered that the shard from the Nameless Dungeon be found. All too often writers just give characters knowledge which only the reader has and some writers would just have Malkazid have the assumption\knowledge that Araevin already has the other two shards, but in this case, Richard played this perfectly by letting them believe what they naturally would do... that he likely doesn't have the other shards. Great stuff!

I absolutely loved the scene where Ilsevele tells Araevin of her feelings and what has transpired in his absence. A beautiful touching scene full of emotion and feeling! Very well done and it sure gave me a lump in my throat when Araevin tried to rescue the situation but knew it was pointless.

The closing lines to that chapter was perfect, when Araevin's response to Ilsevele saying "I hope you can forgive me" is "I hope I can forgive myself".

Fantastic!

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2006 :  21:38:48  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just finished the book. Excellent!!!

I was so pleased with the epilogue too. I never expected them to retake Myth Drannor after all this time and for the Tree of Souls to finally end up being planted too. Wow, this is really gonna open it up for the elves now!

I'm also gagging to see what becomes of Hillsfar with the Zhentarim looming over it

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Wenin
Senior Scribe

585 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2006 :  21:40:52  Show Profile Send Wenin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why is a non-randomized sampling of NPC characters being used at all to justify the general leanings of a race when it comes to alignment? Especially when there is source materials that states the general leanings.

I'm not understanding the logic here.

Session Reports posted at RPG Geek.
Stem the Tide Takes place in Mistledale.
Dark Curtains - Takes place in the Savage North, starting in Nesmé. I wrapped my campaign into the Hoard of the Dragon Queen, but it takes place in 1372 DR.
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2006 :  22:02:46  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's my point exactly.

We need to see more of the typical; less of the atypical. Even Rich himself said that there's been a stereotype around that Sun Elves are "evil." Elaine had noticed it, too. Obviously people are either not reading the sourcebooks or they don't think they're important enough.

I'm not sure why these NPCs in particular were singled out and not those who are more traditional to the culture (those that tend towards Law and Good, statistically speaking).

Planescape Fanatic

"Fiends and Undead are the peanut butter and jelly of evil." - Me
"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD

Edited by - GothicDan on 28 Jun 2006 22:05:10
Go to Top of Page

El Magnifico Uno
Learned Scribe

113 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2006 :  22:26:46  Show Profile  Visit El Magnifico Uno's Homepage Send El Magnifico Uno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I think it has alot to do with the idea that heroes and villains are "suppossed" to be outside the norm.. Thus you get evil sun elves, bizarre half-breed heroes, and just all around over-the-top fantasy.. Don't get me wrong though, I'm a huge fan of the "ordinary" and would like to see more of the typical denizens of FR.. But unfortunately "ordinary" doesn't sell well to most 12-16 year old males (primary audience).. You need BIG, and AWESOME, and NEW!!.. That sells books, ordinary doesn't.. Of course what ordinary DOES sell is staying power.. It develops a stable world that will be around tomorrow for the next batch of purchasers.. Certianly twould be nice if WOTC could find a happy balance between the two, but that's alot easier said than done (especially when there is money and profits on the line)..
Go to Top of Page

Wenin
Senior Scribe

585 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2006 :  22:41:40  Show Profile Send Wenin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Stories aren't written about the typical person. NPCs are the atypical. Wouldn't it be somewhat expected that someone that doesn't fit the norm of a society would stand out, whether bad or good? Their relatively unconventional approach is what leads to their success.

quote:
But I do think they're more Lawful than they are Chaotic (and the NPC stats agreed with this).

From this it doesn't seem that you're staying to your point.

But your last point is essentially caused by writers creating their villians and heros as they need them to fit within their story. So your question is, why are writers creating "Evil" Gold Elves, rather than Moon Elves?

Hehehehe it's kinda funny cause you're wanting affirmative action for Gold Elves. =)

I'm not debating against you, just trying to understand your position. I myself don't understand why WoTC painted themselves into a corner with not allowing room for LG elves.... or even Chaotic being the general tendency of elves. I myself would think that a long lived race would be more for the status quo and tradition, and that kind of behavior doesn't suit a generally chaotic society. Though as was said before Chaotic chracters can still have Lawful traits that are minor, however I don't see a society's tradition only being a minor trait.

I just realized that I've gone off topic of this thread.

Apologies to Richard.

PS: I'm so jealous of so many of you. Having the time to sit back and read so much FR material. =(

Session Reports posted at RPG Geek.
Stem the Tide Takes place in Mistledale.
Dark Curtains - Takes place in the Savage North, starting in Nesmé. I wrapped my campaign into the Hoard of the Dragon Queen, but it takes place in 1372 DR.

Edited by - Wenin on 28 Jun 2006 22:45:47
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2006 :  01:04:22  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Stories aren't written about the typical person. NPCs are the atypical. Wouldn't it be somewhat expected that someone that doesn't fit the norm of a society would stand out, whether bad or good? Their relatively unconventional approach is what leads to their success.

Uh. Part of Ed Greenwood's mindset seems to be highlighting the "normal" people and the "normal" adventurers of the Realms. That mindset, the focus on what X or Y commoner eats for dinner, or the wedding traditions of Z town, is really what brings the setting to life. It makes it more than a cardboard cut-out world with heroes stomping around. What do you think the Waterdeep novel was all about?

quote:
But your last point is essentially caused by writers creating their villians and heros as they need them to fit within their story. So your question is, why are writers creating "Evil" Gold Elves, rather than Moon Elves?

No. My point is that, historically, people believed that Gold Elves were "Lawful Evil." That is, people see their CULTURE as naturally corrupt, inclined towards evil, etc. And we have seen no novels or the like to dismiss this assumption. I want to see Gold Elves being portrayed in a more traditional, Lawful Good role. I want Gold Elves who act like Gold Elves - not like Moon Elves.

quote:
Hehehehe it's kinda funny cause you're wanting affirmative action for Gold Elves. =)

Not at all. I want people to see things that show them that Gold Elves don't NEED affirmative action.

quote:
I'm not debating against you, just trying to understand your position. I myself don't understand why WoTC painted themselves into a corner with not allowing room for LG elves.... or even Chaotic being the general tendency of elves. I myself would think that a long lived race would be more for the status quo and tradition, and that kind of behavior doesn't suit a generally chaotic society. Though as was said before Chaotic chracters can still have Lawful traits that are minor, however I don't see a society's tradition only being a minor trait.

General Greyhawk Elves were Chaotic Good. Sun Elves do not seem to be (I've looked over the actual stats when compiling Sun Elven alignments of all 1E and 2E NPCs).

Dragonlance finally took that final step and wrote that Silvanesti were traditionally Lawful. The Complete Book of Elves even calls Sun Elves the "equivalent" of Krynn's Silvanesti, in terms of culture; while I think this is an obvious simplification, I sure do think that the Ar'Tel'Quessir are more like the Silvanesti than the are the Qualinesti (the latter of which are stated to be Chaotic).

Planescape Fanatic

"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2006 :  01:06:27  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GothicDan
Not at all. I want people to see things that show them that Gold Elves don't NEED affirmative action.

Like you mentioned before, all such people need to do is look through the 2E Cormanthyr sourcebooks.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

El Magnifico Uno
Learned Scribe

113 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2006 :  01:42:14  Show Profile  Visit El Magnifico Uno's Homepage Send El Magnifico Uno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well maybe the gold Elves just need a few more history excerpts for all the good things they have done.. Most Sun Elf history blurbs refer to them in the context of The Shattering, the Crown Wars (Vyshanns, Aryvandaar, Miyeritar, etc), the Fall of Myth Drannor (bigoted sun elves, the battle for the Crownblade, etc), and various other sundry individual crimes including but not limited to Dlardrageths, Eldsomething Veluuthra(sp?), and general problems in Evermeet and Evereska.. There has to be something good though.. Well at least there should be.. If they were such a blight on the world then you'd figure that the Moon and Green elves would just get together and sick the Seldarine on them ala the Drow..
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2006 :  01:53:09  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All Elves participated in the Shattering. The majority of Aryvandaar were Good still, according to Elaine. And only in 3E were they blamed for Miyeritar; before, they were one of MANY possible culprits. The Fall of Myth Drannor wasn't really their fault at all; yes, many Gold Elves went after the blade, but also note that it was Silver Elves that killed the Coronal's heiress.

The rest of the Sun Elves hate the Fey'ri to the core. And the Eldreth Veluuthra numbers under 100, and only 2 of their leaders are Sun Elves.

See, even someone who knows about the events doesn't really KNOW about them.

Planescape Fanatic

Go to Top of Page

El Magnifico Uno
Learned Scribe

113 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2006 :  10:14:51  Show Profile  Visit El Magnifico Uno's Homepage Send El Magnifico Uno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not really sure what your last phrase is trying to say there GothicDan, but I'll try to clarify my previous post for you.

My point was that the Gold Elves are generally associated with negative things in the FR history.. There is not a comparatively high ratio of positive things that Gold Elves did.. Thus, they are often viewed in a negative light.. Now the exact details of my examples are not terribly important, it's more about the general feeling.. The overall impression of the Crown Wars were that the Gold Elves started it - most people would agree with that.. The overall impression of Myth Drannor was that the Gold elves were racist, bigoted, and tried to cling to power which weakened the city and helped contribute to it's fall - most people would agree with that.. Dlardrageths were a Sun Elf house, Veluuthra is generally associated with Sun Elves and Wild Elves - minor stuff but helps contribute to the "evilness".. Now there are exceptions in each case, however the overall impression is the key - the impression that Gold Elves are somewhat evil.. One would think that you would agree with that based on your posts..
quote:
My point is that, historically, people believed that Gold Elves were "Lawful Evil." That is, people see their CULTURE as naturally corrupt, inclined towards evil, etc. And we have seen no novels or the like to dismiss this assumption. I want to see Gold Elves being portrayed in a more traditional, Lawful Good role.
Now if none of my examples are valid (though they most certainly are valid) then where pray tell would people be getting the impression that Gold Elves were evil?
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2006 :  10:39:39  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I ain't no mod, but I do think you deviated from discussing the novel...

If you want to open a new scroll some other place.

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

BobROE
Learned Scribe

Canada
106 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2006 :  14:26:24  Show Profile  Visit BobROE's Homepage Send BobROE a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I enjoyed the book, but my only complaint is with the epilogue. I don't like the way it locks the realms into a given result. I'd rather have the reestablishment of Myth Drannor be left up in the air. To be developed in future novels/source books.
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2006 :  16:58:22  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think this is nontopical at all, because it deals with the question of how the Sun Elves were portrayed in Rich's novels, and why. :)

I think that people are under the impression that Gold Elves tend to be evil because they do not read enough into the facts presented. They see the Crown Wars and just go "Oh, the Sun Elves started it" - no. The Vyshaanti started it. That's like trying to make the actions of the high-ranking Nazis of WW II apply to all Germanic people in the world.

I've listed already great Sun Elf heroes to counter the negatives. These heroes have traditionally been not only Good, but also Lawful in many cases, and that's my point. The fact that in the most recent Realms of the Elves, the majority of Sun Elves were portrayed either as Evil or bordering on Evil didn't really help, either.

I suppose I am asking for things that aren't readily going to happen. Most people do not seem to think that it's likely that Sun Elven culture (not Elven culture in general), for some reason, is capable of producing truly good, heroic individuals, despite all of the evidence fo the contrary.

I'm tired, so I'm going to retire from this thread. Sorry if I was a disruption.

Planescape Fanatic

Edited by - GothicDan on 29 Jun 2006 17:00:46
Go to Top of Page

Bocklin
Learned Scribe

Germany
151 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2006 :  18:39:30  Show Profile Send Bocklin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Rich,

Thanks a lot for the series. It was a really, really good FR read and probably one of the best. I put it up there close to the Erevis Cale trilogy in my heart. And that means a lot, believe me! ;-)

I am very happy to see the Elves back with a vengeance and having carved themselves a shiny new realm on mainland Faerûn.

Just a short question: the Epilog does a jump forward of eight years. Was it a way for you to "cement" your legacy and make sure that no other author comes after you and undo what you and Seiveril's crusade managed to achieve after so much effort? Or is it a sign that You (WotC) are in the process of fastforwarding the timeline in the next earthly year(s)?

Anyway, I am happy to see that this precludes any unraveling of your work or of the events presented here. After all that befell them in the past decades, the Faerûnian Elves deserve a break after all. ;-)

Thanks again.

Stéphane
Go to Top of Page

RichardBaker

129 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2006 :  21:04:50  Show Profile  Visit RichardBaker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Including a "down the road" epilogue was my editor's idea; my first draft epilogue only jumped about 3-4 months past the recapture of Myth Drannor. I didn't do it to 'cement my legacy,' but I think it was very useful to reassure the reader that this was a significant Realms development that would not be forgotten about or undone any time soon. We have a product or two coming up next year that may shed a little more light on this, but I can't say more than that right now.

quote:
Originally posted by Bocklin

Hi Rich,

Thanks a lot for the series. It was a really, really good FR read and probably one of the best. I put it up there close to the Erevis Cale trilogy in my heart. And that means a lot, believe me! ;-)

I am very happy to see the Elves back with a vengeance and having carved themselves a shiny new realm on mainland Faerûn.

Just a short question: the Epilog does a jump forward of eight years. Was it a way for you to "cement" your legacy and make sure that no other author comes after you and undo what you and Seiveril's crusade managed to achieve after so much effort? Or is it a sign that You (WotC) are in the process of fastforwarding the timeline in the next earthly year(s)?

Anyway, I am happy to see that this precludes any unraveling of your work or of the events presented here. After all that befell them in the past decades, the Faerûnian Elves deserve a break after all. ;-)

Thanks again.

Stéphane

Rich Baker
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2006 :  21:10:03  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Richard, what happened to the Tree of Souls? Is it with Lamruil in his hidden realm and brought forth two saplings?

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Braveheart
Learned Scribe

Austria
159 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2006 :  10:16:22  Show Profile  Visit Braveheart's Homepage Send Braveheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Richard,

I really enjoyed your trilogy, after having to read about the Retreat in 10+ books it was fun to read about elves kicking a** for once. The ending is a perfect setting for books and material to come. In my opinion you did a perfect job on giving the Zhents some credit and displaying them as a force to be reckoned with, not like that incompetent bunch in some of Ed's books.
I still have some questions regarding the book:
1) I was wondering what happened to the Standing Stone. Was it really destroyed, hidden or thegodsknowwhat? I know someone already asked this question, but I couldnt find an answer in this thread.
2) Are there any plans involving Myth Drannor in future novels?

Yours,
Braveheart

Jarlaxle: "Do keep ever present in your thoughts, my friend, that an illusion can kill you if you believe in it."
Entreri: "And the real thing can kill you whether you believe in it or not."

Edited by - Braveheart on 30 Jun 2006 10:17:57
Go to Top of Page

RichardBaker

129 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2006 :  21:05:33  Show Profile  Visit RichardBaker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, I'll own up to a modest goof: I sure thought that the Tree was planted in Evermeet and that Lamruil had taken a sapling off to his new hidden realm. However, I don't think this really messes up my story or continuity all that badly. The important thing in Last Mythal is that Seiveril is given a sapling; the question of where the parent tree is located and how many other saplings it has produced is secondary to the story. A minor "patch" to one line of dialogue in Final Gate would fix things up nicely.

quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

Richard, what happened to the Tree of Souls? Is it with Lamruil in his hidden realm and brought forth two saplings?

Rich Baker
Go to Top of Page

RichardBaker

129 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2006 :  21:10:39  Show Profile  Visit RichardBaker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The story doesn't say, so I don't know how "official" this answer is, but yes, I think Sarya had the thing knocked down. I suppose it's possible that the fey'ri just didn't get to it as fast as she might have liked, but I think Sarya's minions understood that she wanted it pulled down and pronto.

The refounding of Cormanthyr and the new understanding with Sembia certainly seem to demand a new Dales Compact in any event. In fact, the original epilogue I wrote for the book depicted the ceremony at the Standing Stone (new or old, I didn't say) where the new Compact was sworn to by all.

quote:
Originally posted by Braveheart

Hi Richard,

I really enjoyed your trilogy, after having to read about the Retreat in 10+ books it was fun to read about elves kicking a** for once. The ending is a perfect setting for books and material to come. In my opinion you did a perfect job on giving the Zhents some credit and displaying them as a force to be reckoned with, not like that incompetent bunch in some of Ed's books.
I still have some questions regarding the book:
1) I was wondering what happened to the Standing Stone. Was it really destroyed, hidden or thegodsknowwhat? I know someone already asked this question, but I couldnt find an answer in this thread.
2) Are there any plans involving Myth Drannor in future novels?

Yours,
Braveheart

Rich Baker
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2006 :  22:08:24  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, I'll own up to a modest goof: I sure thought that the Tree was planted in Evermeet and that Lamruil had taken a sapling off to his new hidden realm. However, I don't think this really messes up my story or continuity all that badly. The important thing in Last Mythal is that Seiveril is given a sapling; the question of where the parent tree is located and how many other saplings it has produced is secondary to the story. A minor "patch" to one line of dialogue in Final Gate would fix things up nicely.

Check Evermeet by Elaine Cunningham, Amlaruil gave Lamruil the tree

Also, the tree of souls was meant to be planted on the mainland so that High Magic could again work there, there was no need to plant it on Evermeet. [edited this part in]

Edited by - Mace Hammerhand on 01 Jul 2006 00:09:48
Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2006 :  22:54:12  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm curious, Mr. Baker: did you read Evermeet (the novel) at all?
Go to Top of Page

El Magnifico Uno
Learned Scribe

113 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2006 :  23:44:06  Show Profile  Visit El Magnifico Uno's Homepage Send El Magnifico Uno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
LOL.. Somebody is getting wicked.. That's a double bladed question if I ever saw one..
1) "I did read it, but completely forgot everything in it. [i]
2) [i]"I didn't read it and thus didn't do any research beforehand. "

You're a bad mean person.
Go to Top of Page

RichardBaker

129 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2006 :  00:20:52  Show Profile  Visit RichardBaker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Yes, I did.

No need to be insulting.

quote:
Originally posted by Winterfox

Rich Baker
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2006 :  00:46:33  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yes, I did.

No need to be insulting.

quote:
Originally posted by Winterfox

Richard, I don't think fellow scribe Winterfox meant this as an insult. If you check out this thread ( http://www.candlekeep.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7115 ) you can see that many of us wondered about the issue.

In all honesty, and this is definitely not meant as an insult, I wondered the same thing. In game terms, with the retrofitting of certain aspects, people like me who read books very intensively (when they are good, and your trilogy was) were bound to wonder if this was also a retrofit.

I think the explanation that the Tree is in Lamruil's realm and brought forth two saplings (what *is* the correct expression anyway?) and one was given to Amlaruil to give to Seiveril makes perfect sense and would also indicate a greater divine plan hatched by the Seldarine.

I'm going to repeat myself, but I enjoyed your trilogy, greatly.

Go to Top of Page

Braveheart
Learned Scribe

Austria
159 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2006 :  07:11:09  Show Profile  Visit Braveheart's Homepage Send Braveheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The story doesn't say, so I don't know how "official" this answer is, but yes, I think Sarya had the thing knocked down. I suppose it's possible that the fey'ri just didn't get to it as fast as she might have liked, but I think Sarya's minions understood that she wanted it pulled down and pronto.

The refounding of Cormanthyr and the new understanding with Sembia certainly seem to demand a new Dales Compact in any event. In fact, the original epilogue I wrote for the book depicted the ceremony at the Standing Stone (new or old, I didn't say) where the new Compact was sworn to by all.

Thanks for that bit of information

Jarlaxle: "Do keep ever present in your thoughts, my friend, that an illusion can kill you if you believe in it."
Entreri: "And the real thing can kill you whether you believe in it or not."

Edited by - Braveheart on 01 Jul 2006 07:11:22
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000