Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 The Dream Spheres
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2002 :  13:59:46  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
What are you views on this novel? I have read Elfshadow, Elfsong and Silver Shadows featuring Danilo and Arilyn. Does this read the same high standard?

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"

Ebola
Acolyte

Slovenia
15 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2002 :  19:13:59  Show Profile  Visit Ebola's Homepage Send Ebola a Private Message  Reply with Quote
for me yes.
like intrigues in waterdeep
Go to Top of Page

ArcticKnight
Learned Scribe

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2002 :  19:42:34  Show Profile  Visit ArcticKnight's Homepage Send ArcticKnight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree, it was a fine book it tradition with the other songs and swords books.

on a side note, i have the Songs and Swords "series" as it was originally released with Elfshadow , Elfsong, Silver Shadows and Thornhold being Harpers books, to anyone else with the Harper Verisons, did u buy the new released ones as well as the Songs and Swords series, or just leave them be?

"The man who does not read has little advantage over the man who cannot read."

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2002 :  08:28:32  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I left them alone. I was thinking about getting the Songs and Swords series just cos im a huge collector of anything with an FR logo on and also for the new covers. If they had released them like they have with Shandrils Saga, with extra text and scenes then I would definatly have got them.

Which covers do you prefer, the old ones from the Harpers or the new ones from the Songs and Swords?

Saying that, I might just buy the Starlight and Shadows series again next year with the new covers

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

ArcticKnight
Learned Scribe

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2002 :  01:37:43  Show Profile  Visit ArcticKnight's Homepage Send ArcticKnight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yea i bought the new Shandril books so Hand of Fire wouldnt look Akward by itself with silverfall...

i also am going to leave the Songs and Swords alone since its just a new cover , nothing else

i will also buy the Starlight and Shadow books because i have a sneaking hunch they will do something similar to the Shandril books being that WindWalker will be new, like Hand of Fire was.

"The man who does not read has little advantage over the man who cannot read."

Go to Top of Page

kahonen
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2002 :  13:20:47  Show Profile  Visit kahonen's Homepage Send kahonen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought Dream Spheres was the worst FR book I've read. Each to his own I suppose
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2002 :  18:32:11  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have you read Once Around the Realms, Kahonen? I hear that most FR fans think that is the worst book ever. I havent read it so i cant judge.

Rad

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Solmyr
Seeker

Sweden
78 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2002 :  11:02:59  Show Profile  Visit Solmyr's Homepage Send Solmyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I totaly agree that once around the realms is the worst FR novel of them a have read so far.
I enjoyed dream spheres a lot, but it's not as good as the first 3 books in songs and swords though.

With each post i grow wiser and with added wisdom I grow stronger.
Go to Top of Page

kahonen
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2002 :  16:17:50  Show Profile  Visit kahonen's Homepage Send kahonen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No, I haven't read Once Around the Realms, Rad. Thanks for the warning - it's one to cross off the Christmas present list

I couldn't actually say why I didn't enjoy Dream Spheres - just one of those things, I suppose.
Go to Top of Page

Bellua Aeneus Lacerta
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2002 :  16:33:22  Show Profile  Visit Bellua Aeneus Lacerta's Homepage Send Bellua Aeneus Lacerta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just started reading this book today...More to follow.
Go to Top of Page

Bellua Aeneus Lacerta
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2002 :  16:44:33  Show Profile  Visit Bellua Aeneus Lacerta's Homepage Send Bellua Aeneus Lacerta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rad

Well I left them alone. I was thinking about getting the Songs and Swords series just cos im a huge collector of anything with an FR logo on and also for the new covers. If they had released them like they have with Shandrils Saga, with extra text and scenes then I would definatly have got them.

Which covers do you prefer, the old ones from the Harpers or the new ones from the Songs and Swords?

Saying that, I might just buy the Starlight and Shadows series again next year with the new covers

Both of my "Elf Shadow" books are first editions, and they have the same cover.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2003 :  17:36:53  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I guess im gonna get a good beating for saying this, but I found this novel absolutely appauling!! This has to be Elaine Cunninghams worst novel by far.

The novel was 375 pages, a good 70 pages or so more than a "standard" FR novel and you could have probably fit the entire story into 100 pages. Nothing really actually happened to note. Just a little twist at the end and thats that.

Very disappointed and a poor concluding novel to an otherwise excellent series

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Mythander
Learned Scribe

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2003 :  19:12:55  Show Profile  Visit Mythander's Homepage Send Mythander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rad

Well I guess im gonna get a good beating for saying this, but I found this novel absolutely appauling!! This has to be Elaine Cunninghams worst novel by far.

The novel was 375 pages, a good 70 pages or so more than a "standard" FR novel and you could have probably fit the entire story into 100 pages. Nothing really actually happened to note. Just a little twist at the end and thats that.

Very disappointed and a poor concluding novel to an otherwise excellent series

Well, the worst Novel by Elaine Cunningham, is far better than some peoples best work.
I have to agree that it was not up to the caliber of the other books in the series. I do think it would have been better as a stand alone book.

Wow! That has no saving throw written all over it.
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2003 :  22:23:09  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I remember Dream Spheres as being very disappointing as well. I think great writers like Salvatore and cunningham sometimes succumb to the TSR/WOTC/Hasbro you must publish problem. They probably get under pressure from the company to make a story, and so the books come out less thought out, and shoddy.

I blame the company for the bad works of Cunningham and Salvatore.

and I agree with the last post. Elaine's WORST work is usually far superior to alot of the Realms writing staff.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2003 :  03:29:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really did not find Dream Spheres that disappointing, although it probably won't be a novel that I will read again for a while. However I agree with Mournblade about the 'TSR/WOTC/Hasbro you must publish problem'. There were some parts of this novel that seemed rushed, and a few portions of text read like they probably should have been rewritten.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2003 :  04:58:07  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I liked it, as I said. It wasn't as good as the earlier ones, but I'd place it over Daughter of the Drow.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2003 :  05:29:10  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Convoluted. That's the word that comes to mind when I think about Dream Spheres. There was just a great deal going on within the novel, so much that it felt at times that it could have been two separate novels.

I still found the book a good read. However, I was somewhat disappointed that it left a reader with more questions at the end regarding a certain trio's fate (Arilyn,ubiquitous Danilo, and Elaith). Considering WOTC has yet to let Elaine write another book featuring any of these characters, disappointment has now turned into ...well....such words aren't to be repeated in polite company.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2003 :  16:42:49  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

I liked it, as I said. It wasn't as good as the earlier ones, but I'd place it over Daughter of the Drow.

Bookwyrm, you cant be serious?! Daughter of the Drow is FANTASTIC!!!!

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2003 :  16:44:35  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mythander

Well, the worst Novel by Elaine Cunningham, is far better than some peoples best work.
I have to agree that it was not up to the caliber of the other books in the series. I do think it would have been better as a stand alone book.

The Dream Spheres was originally released as a stand-alone novel. Later, WotC took the Arilyn\Danilo Harper novels and The Dream Spheres and bundled them together to create what is now known as the Songs and Swords series.

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Mythander
Learned Scribe

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2003 :  16:45:45  Show Profile  Visit Mythander's Homepage Send Mythander a Private Message  Reply with Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

I still found the book a good read. However, I was somewhat disappointed that it left a reader with more questions at the end regarding a certain trio's fate (Arilyn,ubiquitous Danilo, and Elaith). Considering WOTC has yet to let Elaine write another book featuring any of these characters, disappointment has now turned into ...well....such words aren't to be repeated in polite company.

I would definatly like to see another book showcaseing Arilyn, Danilo, and Elaith. I espessially would like to see Mr. Thann expose some of his power.

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2003 :  01:31:22  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rad

quote:
Originally posted by Bookwyrm

Bookwyrm, you cant be serious?! Daughter of the Drow is FANTASTIC!!!!

Now now. I didn't say I didn't like it. Just that I thought Dream Spheres was better by about one notch. But then, I'm rather partial to the character of Danilo Thann.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2003 :  04:32:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know I certainly am. In fact I'll admit that most of the reason why I had purchased all of the (now titled) Songs and Swords series is because of the character, Danilo Thann. I'd really like to see him in a solo novel actually.

Edited by - The Sage on 24 Jul 2003 04:33:24
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2003 :  13:16:09  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry, that was unclear. Did you mean that you bought the repackaged books, the ones that all say "Songs & Swords Book X," even though you had the old versions? (Nothing wrong with that, since I'd do the same if I had the cash. I was just curious.)

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2003 :  15:02:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In fact I did mean that. I always buy all the repackaged books, like for example the newly reprinted "Avatar Trilogy". The only books that I have never re-purchased as repackaged () is the "Dark-Elf" trilogy, but there is a special story behind that, so I won't go into it here.

Go to Top of Page

Mythander
Learned Scribe

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2003 :  17:12:11  Show Profile  Visit Mythander's Homepage Send Mythander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rad

The Dream Spheres was originally released as a stand-alone novel. Later, WotC took the Arilyn\Danilo Harper novels and The Dream Spheres and bundled them together to create what is now known as the Songs and Swords series.

Well that makes a little more sense.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2003 :  17:14:40  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sage of Perth

In fact I did mean that. I always buy all the repackaged books, like for example the newly reprinted "Avatar Trilogy". The only books that I have never re-purchased as repackaged () is the "Dark-Elf" trilogy, but there is a special story behind that, so I won't go into it here.

I wanna hear this special story of yours, Sage

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2003 :  08:04:23  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didn't know those got repackaged, except as a collecter's edition omnibus.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2003 :  09:01:30  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They were reprinted with different borders a few years after their original printing. I remember seeing them at my local bookstore after I had first purchased the Elminster - The Making of a Mage hardback.

Rad said -
quote:
I wanna hear this special story of yours, Sage
And I would like to tell you, although considering that there are some parts of this story which may not be appropriate for the more sensitve scribes here at Candlekeep, I will email you the tale instead. Is that okay? .

Edited by - The Sage on 25 Jul 2003 09:02:29
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2003 :  16:49:46  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sage of Perth

And I would like to tell you, although considering that there are some parts of this story which may not be appropriate for the more sensitve scribes here at Candlekeep, I will email you the tale instead. Is that okay? .

Yeah ok, im intrigued

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1266 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2024 :  21:27:30  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Necromany cast.

I've been re-reading The Dream Spheres. And I agree with some of the above, I dislike this novel. And it's hard to articulate why! On paper the return of Arilyn and Danilo as a team in Waterdeep should be a great thing and we have the fun of nobels and wizards and Skullport and some Tethyr nobles etc.

But the novel just is comes off without any joy or pleasure in it. You fall in love with Lily Thann as a character and then she's just murdered horribly. Arilyn and Dan don't seem happy to be together at all. Their relationship just doesn't seem to work in this one. Nothing happy happens to them. Elaith is tired by this point as a character, he seems like he belongs with one of RA Salvatore's infallible drow rebel who you think is bad but secretly he's helping the good guys (Jarlaxle for example). And the use of "tren" as this ubiquitous bad guy force when I don't think I've ever heard of them before this novel or after? Like just use some other d&d monster.

The noble stuff should have worked, but using the noble wizard as a shape shifter the whole time was just confusing. Too many characters of no consequence.

I just did not like this novel. It's far from the worst novel of the Realms obviously, but compared to how joyous it is to read Elfsong (my fave) and Elfshadow, I get why a lot of people didn't love this one. Still, a bad FR novel from Elaine is >>>>> most people. At least I believe it was set in Ed's realms and not really any issues with the characters or canon or plot holes (I honestly didn't find myself caring enough to find them, I suppose that they want to ressurect one character who is killed but not Lily Thann who died in Harper care is one of them - like did she deserve to die or not Danilo?).

Now I'm off to look into Tren.
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2385 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2024 :  22:17:45  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

But the novel just is comes off without any joy or pleasure in it. You fall in love with Lily Thann as a character and then she's just murdered horribly.

Well, things did get rough this time. It ain't disney.
quote:
Arilyn and Dan don't seem happy to be together at all. Their relationship just doesn't seem to work in this one.

Why not? They always had some troubles.

quote:
And the use of "tren" as this ubiquitous bad guy force when I don't think I've ever heard of them before this novel or after? Like just use some other d&d monster.

A quick search shows the tren were mentioned back in AD&D2 FR materials, at least MC11, Book of Lairs and Drizzt Do'Urden's Guide to the Underdark.
The point seems to be that they are significantly more dangerous than common lizardmen, but also immediately come across as exotic and most likely someone's minions, rather than just another random bunch of savages fresh out of a swamp.
quote:
The noble stuff should have worked, but using the noble wizard as a shape shifter the whole time was just confusing. Too many characters of no consequence.

How many are too many? It's a detective (sort of), not a spoon-feeding fable for kids. Anything can turn out to be important. Or not.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000