Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Upcoming FR Novel Release Listing
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2010 :  16:48:57  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't know if these here have already been posted (?):

Elminster Ascending: Sage of Shadowdale / November 2, 2010
HERE

and

Sword of the Gods: Forgotten Realms: The Abyssal Plague / Bruce Cordell / April 5, 2011
HERE

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2010 :  00:03:24  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skychrome

Sword of the Gods: Forgotten Realms: The Abyssal Plague / Bruce Cordell / April 5, 2011
HERE

I enjoyed his Plague of Spells. So I might read this as well.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2010 :  22:29:53  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dennis

quote:

HERE

I enjoyed his Plague of Spells. So I might read this as well.

I have that one unread on the shelf. Saw it starts in Starmantle... guess I should really start reading it!

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2010 :  14:30:15  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

Dawnbringer a Forgotten Realms Novel, May 3rd 2011.

By Samantha Henderson

Hmmmm....

Amazon:Reading level: Young Adult

Seems that this is not precisely focused on CKs age average.

'Tis WotC's way of 'going with the flow.' So many YA novels these days focus on angels and vampires that they've become like mosquitoes in a swamp.

Go to Top of Page

Tarrok of Halruaa
Acolyte

United Kingdom
37 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2011 :  17:24:05  Show Profile Send Tarrok of Halruaa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought that as no-one else has updated this topic for a while I'd summarise the release schedule for 2011 so far:

March - Sandstorm - Christopher Rowe
April - Sword of the Gods - Bruce R. Cordell - The Abyssal Plague
May - Dawnbringer - Samantha Henderson
June - The Spectral Blaze - Richard Lee Byers - Brotherhood of the Griffon 3
July - The Darker Road - Jaleigh Johnson - Unbroken Chain
August - Bury Elminster Deep - Ed Greenwood - The Sage of Shadowdale 2
September - Shadowbane - Erik Scott De Bie
October - Neverwinter Wood - RA Salvatore - Neverwinter 2
November - Cry of the Ghost Wolves - Mark Sehestedt - Chosen of Nendawen 3
November - Brimstone Angels - Erin M Evans - Neverwinter Nights 1
Go to Top of Page

ErinMEvans
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2011 :  06:56:34  Show Profile  Visit ErinMEvans's Homepage Send ErinMEvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is likely a very late comment, but:
quote:
quote:
quote:

By Samantha Henderson

Hmmmm....

That YA stamps shows up on most Realms books, depending on who's selling it. It's the seller's call, not the publisher's, weird as that sounds. I know The God Catcher was listed as YA in many places, despite the fact that it has no teenagers, vampires, or angels. :)

www.slushlush.com

Edited by - ErinMEvans on 21 Feb 2011 07:00:56
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2011 :  16:46:19  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ErinMEvans

This is likely a very late comment, but:
quote:
quote:
quote:

By Samantha Henderson

Hmmmm....

That YA stamps shows up on most Realms books, depending on who's selling it. It's the seller's call, not the publisher's, weird as that sounds. I know The God Catcher was listed as YA in many places, despite the fact that it has no teenagers, vampires, or angels. :)

Not late at all! Good too see you here Erin...hopefully we will see more of you in these halls?

P.S. Loved The God Catcher!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

ErinMEvans
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 22 Feb 2011 :  03:00:25  Show Profile  Visit ErinMEvans's Homepage Send ErinMEvans a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Not late at all! Good too see you here Erin...hopefully we will see more of you in these halls?

With Brimstone Angels coming up, it does seem more likely. Glad you enjoyed The God Catcher!

www.slushlush.com
Go to Top of Page

Elsenrail
Seeker

Poland
72 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2011 :  20:15:48  Show Profile Send Elsenrail a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.amazon.com/Masked-Witches-Brotherhood-Griffon-Book/dp/0786959827/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1307121699&sr=1-1

New novel, but Mr Byers has already hinted its coming.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2011 :  22:39:37  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Aerial skyships? Are they Halruaan spoils the witches somehow managed to salvage?

Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2011 :  00:25:58  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another new book has turned up on Amazon. Venom in Her Veins by Tim Pratt. The Amazon page features a longer description but the basics are that it features a Yuan Ti pureblood who is mistaken for a human child and adopted by a human family. It sounds like things are okay until she realizes that she isn't human. I've wanted to see more of the Yuan Ti since I read the House of Serpents trilogy so I will be looking into this one.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2011 :  02:15:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tyrant

Another new book has turned up on Amazon. Venom in Her Veins by Tim Pratt. The Amazon page features a longer description but the basics are that it features a Yuan Ti pureblood who is mistaken for a human child and adopted by a human family. It sounds like things are okay until she realizes that she isn't human. I've wanted to see more of the Yuan Ti since I read the House of Serpents trilogy so I will be looking into this one.

Neat.

I'm not familiar with Pratt's work, but yuan-ti are among my favourite of the various scaly-folk. So I'll be looking forward to this.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2011 :  04:09:11  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I'm not sure. I was never fond of the scaly folks. So probably I will pass---unless some other interesting tidbits come along.

Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2011 :  07:57:56  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's interesting by the description so i will wait to see it ...

BARDOBARBAROS DOES NOT KILL.
HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2011 :  08:05:25  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

By Samantha Henderson

Hmmmm....

I also do not like this Young Adult Reading level on the FR books ....

HE DECAPITATES!!!

"The city changes, but the fools within it remain always the same" (Edwin Odesseiron- Baldur's gate 2)
Go to Top of Page

Cronje
Seeker

56 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2011 :  13:10:03  Show Profile Send Cronje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Young Adult Reading is fine with me. There are novels for the younger readers (the Netheril Trilogy, The Stowaway...) and more adult novels, such as Ed Greenwood's or R.A. Salvatore's. It's good that Wizards is trying to appeal to more readers, because more readers will give them us more fans.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2011 :  06:00:09  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

All FR novels in amazon.com are MIS-labelled with YA reading level.

Go to Top of Page

BARDOBARBAROS
Senior Scribe

Greece
581 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2011 :  08:18:28  Show Profile  Visit BARDOBARBAROS's Homepage Send BARDOBARBAROS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Which are these that are mis-labelled ???
Because there are and novels which are not labelled as YA and others that have the label reading level YA...

HE DECAPITATES!!!

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2011 :  08:55:12  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Counselors and Kings, Haunted Lands, Brotherhood of the Griffon, Twilight War, Return of the Archwizards, all the Realms of X anthologies, The Abolethic Sovereignty... In short, ALL.

Go to Top of Page

Tyrant
Senior Scribe

USA
586 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2011 :  05:23:12  Show Profile  Visit Tyrant's Homepage Send Tyrant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My Amazon searching has turned up an interesting entry. A new book by Bruce Cordell, called Spinner of Lies. It appears to be a sequel to Sword of the Gods. Here is the description, which has a very interesting second paragraph:

"Demascus is once again chasing memories of his past lives, as he and Riltana follow the trail of paintings that possess slivers of Oghma God of Knowledge’s power. But Madri, returned as an ethereal mass, is also on the hunt, and she has dark secrets of her own. Nothing is as it seems and Demascus must decide for himself where his allegiance lies. Right after his momentous rematch with archrival Kalkan!

Spinner of Lies kicks off the 2012 Schemes of the Spider Queen Encounters season with unforeseeable events that will have bold, sweeping ramifications across the Underdark."

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
-The Sith Code

Teenage Sith zombies, Tulkh thought-how in the moons of Bogden had it all started? Every so often, the universe must just get bored and decide to really cut loose. -Star Wars: Red Harvest
Go to Top of Page

Neo2151
Learned Scribe

USA
113 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2011 :  12:12:43  Show Profile Send Neo2151 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

To be totally fair, how do you mean "mis-labeled?"

What I mean to say is that, in my experience with the Realms (which, up until the time jump for 4th Edition, was about 15 books shy of all of them!) there were only a handful of "Adult" themed stories and/or novels.
I'll go ahead and say Greenwood is about the only author who really does any adult writing for the Realms, and by the standards of an "adult" tag, he's usually pretty tame about it (sure, there were a couple really dark stories that Salvatore gave us about Wulfgar, but those only lasted for a few books.) Any sexual themes (at all!) are done by Greenwood and pretty much nobody else, and all the violence is very PG to PG13 at worst.

So, take this with a grain of salt if you want, or call me jaded (and believe me, I am!) but if I want "adult themed fantasy" I'm not coming to the Forgotten Realms to get it. I'll be in Westeros or Hyboria.

"Come looking for me, and I will blast you to dust, and then lay waste to all your descendants, ancestors, and the realm you came from, every last tree and stone of it. Why? Well, it's what I usually do."

-Baerendra Riverhand on The Story of Spellfire
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2011 :  13:04:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Neo2151

quote:

To be totally fair, how do you mean "mis-labeled?"

What I mean to say is that, in my experience with the Realms (which, up until the time jump for 4th Edition, was about 15 books shy of all of them!) there were only a handful of "Adult" themed stories and/or novels.
I'll go ahead and say Greenwood is about the only author who really does any adult writing for the Realms, and by the standards of an "adult" tag, he's usually pretty tame about it (sure, there were a couple really dark stories that Salvatore gave us about Wulfgar, but those only lasted for a few books.) Any sexual themes (at all!) are done by Greenwood and pretty much nobody else, and all the violence is very PG to PG13 at worst.

So, take this with a grain of salt if you want, or call me jaded (and believe me, I am!) but if I want "adult themed fantasy" I'm not coming to the Forgotten Realms to get it. I'll be in Westeros or Hyboria.

There's a difference between something being adult or not, and young adult. Young adult often implies teenaged readers, while saying something is adult often implies not only a mature audience, but one that is willing to read about sex and/or dark themes. There is a middle ground, and that's where most FR fiction falls.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Neo2151
Learned Scribe

USA
113 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2011 :  13:30:40  Show Profile Send Neo2151 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
There's a difference between something being adult or not, and young adult. Young adult often implies teenaged readers, while saying something is adult often implies not only a mature audience, but one that is willing to read about sex and/or dark themes. There is a middle ground, and that's where most FR fiction falls.

What's the official categorization for such a group? Because for the life of me, I wasn't aware there was an official age group between "Young Adult" and "Adult"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young-adult_fiction

My point was that FR very easily falls under a Young Adult tag, and was simply pointing that out.

"Come looking for me, and I will blast you to dust, and then lay waste to all your descendants, ancestors, and the realm you came from, every last tree and stone of it. Why? Well, it's what I usually do."

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2011 :  14:57:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

What's the official categorization for such a group? Because for the life of me, I wasn't aware there was an official age group between "Young Adult" and "Adult"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Young-adult_fiction

My point was that FR very easily falls under a Young Adult tag, and was simply pointing that out.

Your link explains it. YA is 14-21. Most FR novels do not target that specific audience -- but they also don't specifically target the audience that wants sex and/or mature themes, which is what "adult" fiction generally entails. We're not talking age groups, we're talking labels -- unless you're going to accept that 14 year olds are adults.

So if you're not targeting only teenagers, and you're not targeting only people who want sex and dark themes, then there is in fact a middle ground.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2011 :  15:23:25  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Wow, you clearly don't read my novels, I think.

I recommend starting with Ghostwalker. Just the prologue should do it, I think. In fact, here's a free sample: http://www.o-love.net/realms/samples/sam_fig2.pdf

And here's the companion story I wrote for the novel (also free): http://o-love.net/realms/samples/sam_fig2_2.pdf

Also, you might consider some Paul S. Kemp as well. Just a suggestion.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Neo2151
Learned Scribe

USA
113 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2011 :  18:21:13  Show Profile Send Neo2151 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie
Wow, you clearly don't read my novels, I think.

I recommend starting with Ghostwalker. Just the prologue should do it, I think. In fact, here's a free sample: http://www.o-love.net/realms/samples/sam_fig2.pdf

And here's the companion story I wrote for the novel (also free): http://o-love.net/realms/samples/sam_fig2_2.pdf

Also, you might consider some Paul S. Kemp as well. Just a suggestion.

Cheers

No need to continue to be off-topic so instead you have a PM, sir!

Go to Top of Page

Elsenrail
Seeker

Poland
72 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2011 :  21:33:15  Show Profile Send Elsenrail a Private Message  Reply with Quote
http://www.amazon.com/Masked-Witches-Brotherhood-Griffon-Book/dp/0786959827/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1312144165&sr=1-2

Cover for the novel. :) I like it, but is seems to be very dark- are these the wychlaran?
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2011 :  08:36:29  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

An intriguing title. An interesting blurb. A really cool cover. I can't wait to read it!

Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2011 :  00:53:25  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, I did not know there were to be more than 3 books! Great! Any plans for a 5th book or even more?

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2011 :  01:13:42  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Wow, I did not know there were to be more than 3 books! Great! Any plans for a 5th book or even more?

Richard said it's going to be six books.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000