Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Upcoming FR Novel Release Listing
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2008 :  16:29:48  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lameth

What about the novels The Pirate King and the Ghost King?
Will they be placed into the timeline of the 4th Edition?

Might I remind you that the series is called Transitions. My guess is that Pirate King will be in the middle somewhere between the 3e and 4e Realms, and that Ghost King will be entirely in the 4e Realms.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Jodes_Quenthal
Acolyte

14 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2008 :  19:03:55  Show Profile  Visit Jodes_Quenthal's Homepage Send Jodes_Quenthal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, I was really looking forward to Recalamation, but I can understand the reasoning for not finishing a book that has so much of yourself within it. I respect Elaine's honesty and integrity for admitting the simple fact she was not able to complete the book due to her own decision. Obviously it would sell regardless of how well it was written due to the great works in the series ahead of it. Hopefully Elaine will leave the door open for these characters to make appearances elsewhere, but if not, the beauty of imagination is each of us readers can make our own ending up of these character's lives. Wonderful series Elaine, you have nothing to be ashamed of for being honest and your integrity is a rare beautiful thing.

May the Realms live on
Go to Top of Page

Baldwin Stonewood
Acolyte

34 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2008 :  17:00:16  Show Profile  Visit Baldwin Stonewood's Homepage Send Baldwin Stonewood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know, understand, but do not agree with the decision of WoWC to go to 4E. I also understand the FR novels appear be making the leap forward but my question concerns the last book in a trilogy, Paul Kemps upcoming release: Shadowrealm: The Twilight War Book III (The Twilight War) due out in Dec (I believe). Will that continuation of the trilogy round out 3.5 or will there somehow be a transition into 4E within the book? I am hoping it simply finishes the current story line.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2008 :  18:17:13  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Baldwin Stonewood
The Twilight War Book III (The Twilight War) due out in Dec (I believe). Will that continuation of the trilogy round out 3.5 or will there somehow be a transition into 4E within the book? I am hoping it simply finishes the current story line.

No one here would know the answer to that question. You could ask the author, but I sincerely doubt he'd give you an answer, because that would be a spoiler.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2008 :  00:02:24  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Pirate King is now pegged for Oct 7th 2008.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2008 :  02:15:38  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't know if this has been posted but amazon.com is listing Downshadow, by Erik Scott de Bie as the third book in the Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep series. It will be out in April 2007
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2008 :  02:23:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's out already!?!

*The Sage, subtlety hinting at DragonReader's typo regarding the release date of Downshadow*

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2008 :  06:01:40  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

It's out already!?!
*The Sage, subtlety hinting at DragonReader's typo regarding the release date of Downshadow*

Oooh, sly.

It seems we're looking at April 2009, ladies and gents.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2008 :  18:23:27  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, that's interesting.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2008 :  19:48:26  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think it's breaking any NDAs to say that Ed loved it.
Erik, you must have done good.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2008 :  01:39:53  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

love,
THO

Well thank you, my lady. [gallant bow]

I hope the rest of you will be pleased as well!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2008 :  13:59:23  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

love,
THO

He already has his head in the clouds with his upcoming nuptuals THO, now with high praise from Ed he will be unsufferable at GenCon!

Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2008 :  01:17:06  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

It's out already!?!

Doh!

The DragonReader cannot type and humbly requests forgiveness
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2008 :  01:46:32  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alright. I can forgive... this time!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2008 :  16:38:21  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since Paul hasn't been around a lot lately, he did post in his journal, on Friday, that he does have another new trilogy for Erevis Cale.

Maybe he'll swing by and update us..... If this has already been mentioned elsewhere on Keep, then I missed the post.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

initiate
Learned Scribe

Canada
102 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2008 :  18:44:01  Show Profile  Visit initiate's Homepage Send initiate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Re: Downshadow:

Yeeeeessss!!

I thought they simply could not do anything to make me happy anymore, and I'm still not buying their busted and reconstituted campaign setting, but this is something I can get behind. After a long string of decisions I consider quite terrible, [messing up the drow pantheon, general Sellplague nastiness, flagrant abuse of the novel line], I am thrilled to see WotC making a choice I can be genuinely happy with as a consumer. There are few other authors they could have enlisted to make me give the broken Realms4 a shot in this way. I've enjoyed both of Mr. De Bie's novels, [Ghostwalker more than Depths, but that only because I found Depths cried out for more details on Twilight's past that just weren't there, but which a sequel might provide], and look forward to this one.

Also, ... I know it's far too early to talk about the details, ... but "shadow"? I can think of many shadowy things. Shades are shadowy, [a fact we're never allowed to forget], Shar's shadowy, [likewise], ...

Shadowdancers are shadowy, too.

Good news about the Paul Kemp trilogy, as well. What with these improvements to the novel line, and the Cormyr article by Brian James, could it be that WotC is moving toward turning FR4 around?
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2008 :  01:49:56  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Since Paul hasn't been around a lot lately, he did post in his journal, on Friday, that he does have another new trilogy for Erevis Cale.

I had the feeling Cale wasn't going to bite the dust. Thanks for the news.

Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2008 :  16:37:32  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

This is a cross-post to my Q&A thread. If the monitors wish to delete one of the posts or otherwise consolidate, feel free.

I've heard writers far more experienced than I admit that every now and then, they'll come up against a book that is far more difficult to write than they'd anticipated--including some stories they're never able to complete. For me, RECLAMATION was one of these problematic stories.

I rewrote the plot several times, changed the scope of the story, dropped characters and subplots and added new ones, changed Elaith Craulnober's role from a secondary character to a major character, wrote, revised, tossed out, lather-rinse-repeat. Despite all these efforts--and also because of them--I was unable to complete the book before the drop-deadline. After much consideration, the folks at WotC decided to cancel RECLAMATION.

I have absolutely no complaints about the way WotC has handled this situation. If a writer cannot, for any reason, meet a contracted deadline, the publisher has every right to cancel that book.

Yes, I'm disappointed. This story dealt with several issues I would have liked to resolve: the final mystery behind the moonblades, the identity of the child Princess Amnestria bore to Elaith Craunober, the fate of Kymil Nimesin, the royal succession of Evermeet. Elaith needed to face his past and move beyond it one way or another. Danilo needed to move beyond what my friend and current co-writer calls "a walking romantic subplot" and come into his own. Arilyn had residual issues raised by events in the last part of Dream Spheres.

But. With fourth edition around the corner, it just didn't make sense to push back the release date again. Upcoming 4th edition changes to the Realms will render many of the themes and concerns of this book irrelevant, just as the destruction of Halruaa pretty much guaranteed the irrelevance of the Counselors & Kings trilogy. Also, nine years have elapsed since the release of Dream Spheres, the last Songs & Swords book. Nine years. That's a long, long gap, even in as long-lived a series as Songs & Swords--Elfshadow, the first Songs & Swords book, has been in print longer than many FR readers have been alive. All things considered, it’s probably time to move on.

I apologize to readers who have been looking forward to this story and who are disappointed by its cancellation. You have my heartfelt thanks for all your support, kindness, and friendship over the years.

But but.........Never? Is the message implying that we will never get closure on the characters and storyline of songs and Swords all because of 4th edition coming out making it obsolete?????

Oh good god.........

I can't even really explain the hollow feeling I am experiencing right now. I was looking forward to this on a level equal to that of Shadowrealm. In some ways, moreso since I started reading this series in my youth
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2008 :  16:55:15  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

[quote]Originally posted by Kuje

All,

Just to clarify. I've said that my next trilogy will build off of events from the Twilight War and will be released in trade paperpback format, but I've said nothing else about characters or content (nor can I, yet).

Thanks for spreading the news about the new FR trilogy, though, Kuje. Appreciated.

Edit: Added info re release format

Edited by - PaulSKemp on 22 Jul 2008 17:20:14
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2008 :  17:15:56  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh OK--thanks for the clarification.

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2008 :  17:42:21  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Initiate--your praise and support is really nice to hear. And I hope you won't be disappointed.

quote:
Originally posted by initiate

Also, ... I know it's far too early to talk about the details, ... but "shadow"?

I dropped a series of hints in my Ask the Author thread--the best place as-yet to talk about the novel.

To wit: "Downshadow" is an area of the 4e Waterdeep, specifically one having something to do with one of the big "down" and "shadowy" things in Waterdeep . . . .

quote:
I can think of many shadowy things. Shades are shadowy, [a fact we're never allowed to forget], Shar's shadowy, [likewise], ...
Shadowdancers are shadowy, too.

All true. I wonder if any of that will show up . . . hmm.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2008 :  17:44:52  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

He already has his head in the clouds with his upcoming nuptuals THO, now with high praise from Ed he will be unsufferable at GenCon!

And I'll have you know that I'm never insufferable. You'd be surprised what you can live through.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2008 :  00:27:13  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe that according to Wizards, Blackstaff Tower and Mistshore will both be available at GenCon!

Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2008 :  20:12:01  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie
To wit: "Downshadow" is an area of the 4e Waterdeep, specifically one having something to do with one of the big "down" and "shadowy" things in Waterdeep . . . .

seems Walker might fit in there.........or perhaps 'Light..................

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2008 :  02:03:02  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Following up Downshadow in the Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep will be

City of the Dead by Rosemary Jones!

This is awesome news!

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2008 :  02:05:32  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
June 2009 release for City of the Dead.

April= Erik Scott de Bie

June= Rosemary Jones

How can Wotc top that?

Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2008 :  14:39:10  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I already mentioned The hand of the Hunter by Mark S. in another thread, but this morning WOTC has added The Edge of Chaos (book #3 of the Wilds) to its catalog:

http://ww2.wizards.com/books/Wizards/Products/?doc=250187400

Edited by - DragonReader on 06 Nov 2008 14:42:15
Go to Top of Page

DragonReader
Senior Scribe

USA
371 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2008 :  00:14:05  Show Profile  Visit DragonReader's Homepage Send DragonReader a Private Message  Reply with Quote
WOTC has added book 2 of the Abolethic Sovereignty trilogy by Bruce Cordell to its catalog. The book will be called City of Torment and will be out in September 2009

http://ww2.wizards.com/books/Wizards/Products/?doc=250137400
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2008 :  00:21:11  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Remember the old days of publishing* when the first book was self-contained and had to prove itself before they'd sign on for sequels and such? Now, it seems every book** is the first of a trilogy.

* or movies, for that matter!
** again, or movies

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2008 :  18:46:43  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DragonReader
WOTC has added book 2 of the Abolethic Sovereignty trilogy by Bruce Cordell to its catalog. The book will be called City of Torment and will be out in September 2009

http://ww2.wizards.com/books/Wizards/Products/?doc=250187400

Yet another novel I'm not interested in...

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 18 Nov 2008 01:52:42
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000