Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Wikipedia thread
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2006 :  23:47:55  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Let's go!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalelands

Any basis to 'Some say Dalelanders originally came from the Great Dale.'?

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2006 :  00:14:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Page 119 of a Grand Tour of the Realms from the 2e Campaign Setting box set.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2006 :  00:25:36  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aha.

How about 'Like other folk of the northern Dragon Reach lands, the Dalesfolk are descended from humans of Jhaamdath and other nations of the Vilhon Reach, though some believe they originally came from the Great Dale.'?

Ooog.
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2006 :  00:31:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good, but make sure to link to the Jhaamdath, Vilhon Reach, and Great Dale articles with [[Jhaamdath]], for example.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2006 :  00:56:18  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, Great Dale today is very different from Great Dale in -200 DR which is when the Dalefolk came across the Reach. The Chondathans of Jhaamdath originally settled the lands of the Easting Reach (which would include the Great Dale) and then moved across to the Dalelands. Why they did such two large hops in such a short space of time (-250 or so for the first and -200 for the second) can be summarized in one word: Narfell. Narfell, that big fiend-loving empire of joy, held sway in the region and hence probably didn't do much for settlement. I'm working on tidying up the history of the East (and making fair progress of late) and I can tell you that there are reasons why settlers could come to the environs of Thesk and the Great Dale (and by Great Dale in this instance we mean places like Mettledale and Spearsmouth Dale, not Bezentil and other settlements inside the woodlands) and live there, free from the hegemony of Narfell, but all will be revealed in time. Of course, that didn't stop Narfell unleashing fiends on these settled areas time and time again - so it's no wonder they left for 'safer' areas like the Dalelands. It was only after -150 DR and the fall of Narfell that major, long-term settlement of the lands of the Easting Reach could proceed.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2006 :  01:01:04  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Only a lawyer can use a phrase like, "that big fiend-loving empire of joy" and really mean it!

(just kidding George)
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2006 :  02:21:23  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahh Narfell always gets bad press. It's not their fault that they got caught in the crosshairs of Orcus as prime manipulation material. And it may have not gone much further than the first Nentyarch and his Crown of Narfell had it not been for them stumbling across ... well, that would be telling All I can say is that a FR author pinging me about the region recently set off a most delightful train of thought that has solved one of my biggest "issues" re Narfell. Now even the elves are falling into place. All good.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2006 :  02:26:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Let us hope then, that we have the oppportunity to see that particular train stop at a future Realmslore sourcebook station .

I know many of us, myself included, have clamored for more on Narfell and to see its further development in the Realmslore. If you've been given the chance George... then I hope we get to see it published in some manner.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 18 Apr 2006 02:27:46
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2006 :  06:19:50  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't get too excited, Sage - this current work is all for "fun". But I want to be ready in case something pops up. Imagine how the LEoF chapters "The Old North" and "The High Forest" would have read if I hadn't organised my North Timeline in time ...

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2006 :  06:35:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, I know, and you're right about the LEoF details. It gave you the opportunity to put those notes to good "official" use.

Still, I'd rather see you hold onto those Narfell and Raumathar notes and "have" the potential to drop them in the Realmslore at some point, even if they're only minor tidbits mentioned here and there. Or, as you said... "in case something pops up".

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2006 :  16:08:15  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
V. interesting, and I confess partly new to me, George. So we need a somewhat longer summary if it's going to be accurate.
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2006 :  20:26:08  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"[Lantan] is the land of the Gnomes."

"[Cormyr] is the epitome of medieval Europe, and particularly France."

Didn't ya know?
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 18 Apr 2006 :  20:31:01  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alwys good to learn new Lore *sighs*
FR commonors are not the same as peasants, they are educated, literate, though do tend to still be low economic class.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2006 :  00:44:48  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

V. interesting, and I confess partly new to me, George. So we need a somewhat longer summary if it's going to be accurate.

Faraer, I wouldn't use my musings in any Wikipedia entry. They are just that - musings - and have no more merit than those of any other FR fan out there. Stick with what is in the published products for now, and we'll deal with stuff like this in due course as opportunities present themselves.

-- George Krashos

Edited by - George Krashos on 19 Apr 2006 00:45:23
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2006 :  01:19:45  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, but it's still more complex and a little uncertain.

–255: The first refugees from Jhaamdath, who settle the northern Inner Sea from Cormyr east to the Vast
–200: Those who cross the Dragon Reach. Are these southerners who two generations earlier settled the Vast and perhaps the Easting Reach, or are they those from Impiltur and Damara mentioned in the 1987 and 1993 boxed sets' entries for 'Dalelands'? If the former, the Impilturians and Damarans may be a third, undated wave -- the wording of that text suggests they arrive closer to the raising of the Standing Stone.

I think I must have dismissed the 'Dalesfolk from the Great Dale' idea as a hasty thing Jeff Grubb jotted down in the middle of doing something else, based on the shared 'dale'.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2006 :  01:58:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

"[Lantan] is the land of the Gnomes."
Oh, not this again. Yes, there are gnomes... but despite all the gnomish-ness... Lantan still has a notable human presence. The tinker-like aspect of the gnomes were the result of TSR bringing the concept of the tinker gnomes into the Realms, and also largely because Gond appeared (in the form of a gnome) on the island during the Time of Troubles.

I assume you've altered this already Faraer?

quote:
"[Cormyr] is the epitome of medieval Europe, and particularly France."
And for this... Ed and other FR game designers and authors have all repeatedly said that Faerun is mostly not based on -- or rather similiar to -- Earth cultures, except for the parts that TSR added on.

That needs to be corrected as well.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2006 :  04:46:28  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yes, but it's still more complex and a little uncertain.

–255: The first refugees from Jhaamdath, who settle the northern Inner Sea from Cormyr east to the Vast
–200: Those who cross the Dragon Reach. Are these southerners who two generations earlier settled the Vast and perhaps the Easting Reach, or are they those from Impiltur and Damara mentioned in the 1987 and 1993 boxed sets' entries for 'Dalelands'? If the former, the Impilturians and Damarans may be a third, undated wave -- the wording of that text suggests they arrive closer to the raising of the Standing Stone.

I think I must have dismissed the 'Dalesfolk from the Great Dale' idea as a hasty thing Jeff Grubb jotted down in the middle of doing something else, based on the shared 'dale'.

Faraer, keep in mind the dates you are talking about. There are no Impilturians or Damarans in -250 DR or -200 DR. What the reference re "Impilturians and Damarans" is lacking is a 'present-day' in front of it. Basically, the settlers that became the first Dalefolk were from the Easting Reach region: present-day Thesk and Impiltur for the most part. Most would have been of native Narfelli stock, some would have been actual citizens of Narfell. The immigrants from Jhaamdath either stayed to mingle with the Nar population (thereby creating the Damaran racial grouping) or moved west to the Dalelands. As such, it's unlikely that there were one, two or three waves of immigration. The human population of the Dalelands (and here I'm talking about the eastern coastal dales) was kicked off in -200 DR and likely continued on for over three centuries. I'm thinking it had no discernable "waves" - just a starting point and a general trailing off period.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2006 :  15:10:53  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sigh, I'd forgotten how much of this made it into print in Races of Faerûn and was working from the FRCS and other sources I had slightly closer to hand. So George, I think you're saying the statement (RoF p. 85) that in -255 the Jhaamdathan refugees 'set out to colonize lands that would later become known as Impiltur, Thesk, and the Vast' supercedes the FRCS's 'head north and settle the lands of present-day Cormyr, Sembia, the Dalelands, and a portion of the Vast' (p. 268), so that the latter process takes place in two separate movements including the -200 'cross the Dragon Reach' entry? Because as written in the FRCS, the Dales are indeed settled twice. What reason do you suggest for why the Jhaamdathans avoid the borders of Cormanthor in the first emigration? Then, RoF p. 85 dates the westward migration ('cross the Dragon Reach') to 1 DR, not -200.

Ignoring the latter point, even if the main settlement of the Dales is c.-200, might there not have been lesser waves of migration too, such as on the fall of Jhaamdath and accompanying the later human settlement of the Vast?

Edited by - Faraer on 19 Apr 2006 15:28:55
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2006 :  15:12:09  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
Oh, not this again.
Yup. I thought everyone knew Cormyr is the land of gnomes and Lantan is based on France.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2006 :  02:48:04  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sigh, I'd forgotten how much of this made it into print in Races of Faerûn and was working from the FRCS and other sources I had slightly closer to hand. So George, I think you're saying the statement (RoF p. 85) that in -255 the Jhaamdathan refugees 'set out to colonize lands that would later become known as Impiltur, Thesk, and the Vast' supercedes the FRCS's 'head north and settle the lands of present-day Cormyr, Sembia, the Dalelands, and a portion of the Vast' (p. 268), so that the latter process takes place in two separate movements including the -200 'cross the Dragon Reach' entry? Because as written in the FRCS, the Dales are indeed settled twice. What reason do you suggest for why the Jhaamdathans avoid the borders of Cormanthor in the first emigration? Then, RoF p. 85 dates the westward migration ('cross the Dragon Reach') to 1 DR, not -200.

Ignoring the latter point, even if the main settlement of the Dales is c.-200, might there not have been lesser waves of migration too, such as on the fall of Jhaamdath and accompanying the later human settlement of the Vast?

Okay here are my thoughts - and they are just that. First, we have to look at the Dalelands as they appeared way back then. Extrapolate backward from the "Year of the Tusk" (112 DR) map in the Ol' Grey Box.

Seemingly, the only area available for colonization is modern-day Sembia, and a coastal strip at that. The elves are strong in Cormanthor. The dragons rule just about everywhere else. Significant changes in the status quo occur in -206 when the dragon Venominhandar is supposedly slain and in -205 DR when the elves under Iliphar Nelnueve take over the forests of modern Cormyr. Basically, it's clear the dragons are on the wane.

The references to settlement of the Dalelands has always been specific that the settlers crossed the Dragon Reach (i.e. from the area where Procampur is now to the Sembian coast). Impiltur isn't founded till -72 DR. The question is, why didn't the Jhaamdathans hop directly across the Inner Sea to the Sembian coast as Chondath later did when it established its colony cities (Chancelgaunt et al)? My thinking is that the simple reason was that this was still uncharted territory (save for the elves). Real wilderness, unmapped, unknown and considered dangerous - especially considering the rapacious dragon population of the area (the Thunder Peaks are famous for their large number of wyrms and the Dragonmere obviously got its name for a reason). In contrast, the lands of the Easting Reach were more civilized, had a known human population (even if they were demon-worshippers), and allowed settlers to try and establish holds on the edges of civilization, but with some security. Note also that Prosekampalar is founded in -153 DR by dwarves, but obviously with a large human population. It would have existed as some sort of settlement before besoming a full-fledged city and is a natural 'jumping off' point for settlement into the Dales.

At the time of Jhaamdath's fall, Westgate is in hands of the vampire king Orlak. It would have been a pretty nasty place to live - and likely not a vibrant, progressive, 'happening' place which would promote exploration, colonization etc., unlike Proeskampalar noted above.

So basically, I think the barriers to a hop north by Jhaamdathan refugees, rather than a hop northeast and then west, was that such a hop north was considered to be a huge leap into the unknown, fraught with danger and with no support or back-up if things went awry. That's why I think they went to the Easting Reach first, and then hopped west to the Dalelands/Sembia.

Once a civilized foothold had been made in the Sembia/Dalelands region, that's when I think the FRCS and Grand Tour migration pattern (i.e. straight from the Vilhon) occurred.

-- George Krashos

Edited by - George Krashos on 20 Apr 2006 02:49:58
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2006 :  20:16:44  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Right, I'm sure the dragons had something to do with it. There are many ways to make sense of the extant references, and actually I wouldn't want this history developed in print without extremely wide thought given to it: for instance, the events that prompted the -200 migration (some kind of internal conflict? who were the pioneer leaders? etc.) could provide further history and plot hooks in both the Dales and Impiltur. Speaking of waves of immigration, we have the founding of Dordrien and possibly Teshar. The early history of the Dalelands after their formal founding is also sketchy, including some completely unknown Dales -- must finish off my timeline!
Go to Top of Page

ode904
Learned Scribe

Finland
193 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2006 :  22:17:53  Show Profile Send ode904 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, there's quite long article in Wikipedia. I have written some random things in Wikipedia too, but it's good thing if there are people eager enough to write about Forgotten Realms to Wikipedia. Maybe one day we can search Wikipedia about any Forgotten Realms things :D
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2006 :  22:23:45  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, but the great thing about this site is that you can witness Realmslore being created before your very eyes (witness above).

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2020 :  06:27:17  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Krashos,

me entolí mou tha sikotheís!

quote:
I'm working on tidying up the history of the East (and making fair progress of late) and I can tell you that there are reasons why settlers could come to the environs of Thesk and the Great Dale (and by Great Dale in this instance we mean places like Mettledale and Spearsmouth Dale, not Bezentil and other settlements inside the woodlands) and live there, free from the hegemony of Narfell, but all will be revealed in time.

I am resurrecting this scroll as I am looking for information about Mettledale and Spearsmouth Dale. Specifically, the towns in those areas: one in Spearsmouth Dale and three in Mettledale. After an exhaustive search (which didn't take all that long), I uncovered nothing but this listing, and another one in some Ed questions from 2006, which was a passing mention. Do you have any more information that you've put together about the towns and environs of Mettledale and Spearsmouth Dale? I am cleaning up little bits of odds and ends before I start my next sandbox campaign in a few months, and I want to get every little thing accounted for to the greatest degree possible.

Thank you as always.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000