Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Best Character of Elaine
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Chosen of Lathander
Acolyte

Turkey
21 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2006 :  17:28:48  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Lathander's Homepage Send Chosen of Lathander a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
Who do you think the Elaine Cunninghams best character is?
(sorry if there are some grammar mistakes

Choices:

Arilyn Moonblade
Danilo Thann
Liriel Beanre
Fyodor
Bronwyn
Ebenezer Stonemile
Elaith Craulnober
Matteo
Tzigone

(Anonymous Vote)

Lathander is beginnig of all things,everything will reborn with dawn.

Edited by - Chosen of Lathander on 09 Mar 2006 14:11:21

Braveheart
Learned Scribe

Austria
159 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2006 :  17:35:23  Show Profile  Visit Braveheart's Homepage Send Braveheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Uh.. what happened to Elaith Craulnober?

Jarlaxle: "Do keep ever present in your thoughts, my friend, that an illusion can kill you if you believe in it."
Entreri: "And the real thing can kill you whether you believe in it or not."
Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2006 :  17:38:11  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Strictly speaking, Elaith's Ed Greenwood's creation.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2006 :  17:59:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of the listed choices, I like Liriel and Danilo the best. If Matteo and Tzigone had been options, I'm not sure who I would have picked.

Ooh, can you imagine the fun of Tzigone and Danilo together? No one would be safe!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Lathander
Acolyte

Turkey
21 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2006 :  18:16:57  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Lathander's Homepage Send Chosen of Lathander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
why doesent anyone say arilyn!??!?!!? i love her

Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2006 :  18:33:16  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Lathander

why doesent anyone say arilyn!??!?!!? i love her

Then why have you not voted for her? Or can you not, as the poll's creator?
I'm afraid I prefer Danilo.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2006 :  18:47:50  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I prefer Danilo as well - for one thing he's a handsome devil, and he gets my favourite FR-heroine at the end, too - mostly due to his witticisms and Scarlet Pimpernelitude.

And the creator of a poll can, indeed, vote in it.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Braveheart
Learned Scribe

Austria
159 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2006 :  19:55:56  Show Profile  Visit Braveheart's Homepage Send Braveheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Winterfox

Hm, but fleshing out that character should qualify as "character by Elaine Cunningham" too, shouldn't it? Ed Greenwood surely created a lot of characters, but filling them with life was up to some other authors .

Jarlaxle: "Do keep ever present in your thoughts, my friend, that an illusion can kill you if you believe in it."
Go to Top of Page

Drakul
Senior Scribe

USA
367 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2006 :  20:03:27  Show Profile Send Drakul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My vote goes to Liriel. I guess I love the Drow and everything about them.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCDonLNKf6_KA9Qlal3Qu3zQ?view_as=subscriber
Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2006 :  21:55:12  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Braveheart
Hm, but fleshing out that character should qualify as "character by Elaine Cunningham" too, shouldn't it? Ed Greenwood surely created a lot of characters, but filling them with life was up to some other authors .

*shrugs* I was just pointing out a reason why he might not have been included in the poll.

I voted Liriel, also, but because of her personality (plus the fact that she pays for her mistakes, and her actions have consequences) and not because she's a drow. A few years ago I'd probably have voted for Arilyn, but I don't know, the character's appeal has lessened for me, I suppose.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2006 :  22:56:19  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Shrug, Ed still filled Elaith with life before Elaine used him, from what I've heard from THO. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2006 :  00:43:53  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of the choices provided... I would say Danilo.

Mostly because, in many ways -- mostly because of his attitudes and playful nature -- he reminds me of myself... but also, I thoroughly enjoy each and every tale I read that features Danilo. He is at once, a very easy character to understand, or so it would seem at least initially. The real delight about Danilo is that there is always more than meets the eye when you read about him. Just when you think you've learned what makes him tick, and what he is really about, we, as the reader, learn more about him through his interactions between other characters and himself and discover a whole other level to this character.

And of course... I still remember the discussion Elaine and I had about what part Danilo would play in the Abduction from the Seraglio and what a delight it would be see Danilo "on stage" in the leading role as Belmonte .

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 09 Mar 2006 00:45:06
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2006 :  00:48:56  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:

quote:

Shrug, Ed still filled Elaith with life before Elaine used him, from what I've heard from THO. :)

Indeed... as our Lady Hooded One told most of us, again, recently -

"Just a gentle correction here: Ed didn't create Elaith for (or in) FR1. Elaith was a living, breathing NPC in the original Realms campaign for YEARS (at least 8) before FR1 was published. I have read three early, never-published Realms short stories by Ed, set in Waterdeep, that have Elaith in them. (And yes, they're as good as any other fictional depictions of Elaith I've read, though much shorter.)
love to all,
THO"

Go to Top of Page

Braveheart
Learned Scribe

Austria
159 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2006 :  08:38:49  Show Profile  Visit Braveheart's Homepage Send Braveheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:

quote:

Indeed... as our Lady Hooded One told most of us, again, recently -

"Just a gentle correction here: Ed didn't create Elaith for (or in) FR1. Elaith was a living, breathing NPC in the original Realms campaign for YEARS (at least 8) before FR1 was published. I have read three early, never-published Realms short stories by Ed, set in Waterdeep, that have Elaith in them. (And yes, they're as good as any other fictional depictions of Elaith I've read, though much shorter.)
love to all,
THO"

I stand corrected . As someone who "only" reads the novels you get a slightly different view on who you associate with particular characters.

Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2006 :  08:45:01  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My vote goes to Danilo Thann. An dashing character with a good sense of righteousness and morals and cheerful and outgoing, straightforward which are some of the traits which I liked about him when I read the Song & Swords novels.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2006 :  10:10:22  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Look at my avatar. Look at my vote.

Enough said :)
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2006 :  11:28:30  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Won't vote until I see Tzigone on that list :-P

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Lathander
Acolyte

Turkey
21 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2006 :  14:10:55  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Lathander's Homepage Send Chosen of Lathander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
uh sorry people.i dont know the matteo or tzigone you speak of.Elaine is my best author in FR.But Evermeet:The Island of Elves and yh Dream Sphere are not translated to Turkish now and getting them from USA may cost me too much...but i will put matteo and tzigone anyway.
i am very dissapointed that only a few people voted for Arilyn

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2006 :  14:34:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Lathander

uh sorry people.i dont know the matteo or tzigone you speak of.Elaine is my best author in FR.But Evermeet:The Island of Elves and yh Dream Sphere are not translated to Turkish now and getting them from USA may cost me too much...but i will put matteo and tzigone anyway.
i am very dissapointed that only a few people voted for Arilyn

Matteo and Tzigone are the two main characters of Elaine's Counselors & Kings trilogy, set in Halruaa.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Lathander
Acolyte

Turkey
21 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2006 :  14:54:09  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Lathander's Homepage Send Chosen of Lathander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well sorry
and thank you too wooly rupert. i was waiting the counselors and kings series to be translated.and i see they are translated konw.i will buy them at once

Go to Top of Page

Beezy
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2006 :  16:29:04  Show Profile  Visit Beezy's Homepage Send Beezy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For me it's almost a toss up between Arilyn Moonblade and Liriel Beanre but I voted for the fromer because I enjoyed that series alittle more than the trilogy involving the latter.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2006 :  13:47:45  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Danilo is an entertaining character all the time I read about him.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

Sadonayerah Odrydin
Learned Scribe

USA
210 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2006 :  18:37:16  Show Profile  Visit Sadonayerah Odrydin's Homepage Send Sadonayerah Odrydin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Arilyn. It was a close tie between Danilo, Arilyn, and Elaith. But since I had to choose, I chose the one who inspires me the most.

"What's that," asked Mogget.
"Sardines," said Sam. "I knew they were standard rations, so I got a few tins for you."
"What are sardines?" Moggest asked suspiciously. "And why is there a key? Is this some sort of Abhorsen joke?"
Abhorsen by Garth Nix

"What you made a vampire...Pomeranian?!" --Hannibal King from Blade Trinity

~Sadie
Go to Top of Page

Xysma
Master of Realmslore

USA
1089 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2006 :  19:46:22  Show Profile  Visit Xysma's Homepage Send Xysma a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love all of Elaine's characters, but I had to vote for Tzigone, she's just the most fun, although Liriel might give her a run for her money.

War to slay, not to fight long and glorious.
Aermhar of the Tangletrees
Year of the Hooded Falcon

Xysma's Gallery
Guide to the Tomes and Tales of the Realms download from Candlekeep
Anthologies and Tales Overviews

Check out my custom action figures, hand-painted miniatures, gaming products, and other stuff on eBay.

Go to Top of Page

Marc
Senior Scribe

657 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2006 :  17:12:12  Show Profile Send Marc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elaith is unique

Go to Top of Page

Elven Avenger
Acolyte

Brazil
27 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2006 :  19:42:11  Show Profile Send Elven Avenger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elaith Craulnober, all the way.
Go to Top of Page

Mace Hammerhand
Great Reader

Germany
2296 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2006 :  21:11:05  Show Profile  Visit Mace Hammerhand's Homepage Send Mace Hammerhand a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elaith was fleshed out by Elaine, the character (s name) was around before...

Mace's not so gentle gamer's journal My rants were harmless compared to this, beware!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2006 :  01:07:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mace Hammerhand

Elaith was fleshed out by Elaine, the character (s name) was around before...

Indeed. Elaith was originally Ed's creation.

I'll let Elaine explain -

"And as much as I'd like to take credit for Elaith's creation, he first appeared as an NPC in a game product entitled "Waterdeep and the North," by Ed Greenwood. When I wrote ELFSHADOW, my first novel, I didn't realize Elaith was a well-established character in Ed's home campaign. As far as I knew, Elaith existed only as a one-paragraph description. That paragraph appealed to me, so I took the character and ran with it. Over the years, Ed has been very gracious about this accidental literary hijacking."

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2006 :  01:25:59  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted for Elaith--the only little nitpick I have against him is that he's still a bit angsty.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

MerrikCale
Senior Scribe

USA
947 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2006 :  02:33:58  Show Profile  Visit MerrikCale's Homepage Send MerrikCale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Went with Danilo

When hinges creak in doorless chambers and strange and frightening sounds echo through the halls, whenever candlelights flicker where the air is deathly still, that is the time when ghosts are present, practicing their terror with ghoulish delight.
Go to Top of Page

Conlon
Learned Scribe

Canada
132 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2006 :  09:52:34  Show Profile  Visit Conlon's Homepage Send Conlon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This was very close for me as well. I very much enjoy Liriel though I can't name her as my fave. And since there was some dispute over Elaith's creator, I didn't vote for him.

I had many reasons for voting for Danillo, but the one that put him over the top was a quote from a letter sent to Danillo from the esteemed Athol of our very own Candlekeep:

"Start by sparing me your fine flourishes and your flattery. Though I doubt not your sincerity, such niceties only serve to raise my hackles. Perhaps this is because I remember all too well the times you insisted that she who named me must have been speaking with a lisp"

CLASSIC!

My hopes are ashes, my dreams are dust. All my intentions mean nothing unless they are followed by action.

Edited by - Conlon on 02 Sep 2006 09:54:18
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000