Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Pyramids under Ascore
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2012 :  07:11:51  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by twyoung1960

So how does that go with The Seven Swords of Wayland?

What do the Seven Swords of Wayland have to do with the Realms?

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2012 :  11:28:03  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm also curious about this question...

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2012 :  12:36:47  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seven Swords of Wayland

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2012 :  14:12:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

Seven Swords of Wayland

The question still remains of how these swords are relevant to this discussion, or to the Realms in general.

I could see discussing using these swords in the Realms, but the way it was brought up, it seemed as if the poster was drawing a connection between these blades and the pyramids under Ascore. And this is puzzling to us.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2012 :  17:13:51  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had never heard of them until this thread.

Google is my friend.

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2012 :  17:57:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Google is my friend.

Ditto, on both counts.

I work in IT, and sometimes, when confronted with a tricky issue, I'll tell my customer that I am "consulting my friend Google."

Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2012 :  00:07:02  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thats a loss for you then - Robin of Sherwood is excellent, a nice mix of mysticism, swordplay, medieval history, folklore and general running around the forest swinging swords! (Michael Praed was a much better Robin than Jason Connery was). Its well worth trying to find them on DVD if you get a chance.

more on Waylund the smith here
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wayland_the_Smith

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005

Edited by - crazedventurers on 19 May 2012 00:08:01
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2012 :  03:27:04  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When I first saw "Wayland" I thought of the Thrawn series in STAR WARS.

Yeah it looks like a neat show.

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2015 :  04:44:53  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any news on this topic?

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2015 :  05:42:45  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What news are you after Barastir?

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2015 :  06:05:45  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ummmmm...

I just pictured River Song appearing in my room and wagging her finger at me, "Spoilers!"

The lore for those pyramids has been 'hiding in plain sight' all along... you just need an epic guide to point the way.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2015 :  10:04:35  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Ummmmm...

I just pictured River Song appearing in my room and wagging her finger at me, "Spoilers!"

The lore for those pyramids has been 'hiding in plain sight' all along... you just need an epic guide to point the way.

No, there is another ...

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2015 :  18:07:41  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Though not tied directly to the pyramids, Menzoberranzan: City of Intrigue p.108 does describe a region of the Underdark not far beneath the ruins of Ascore called the Mhaurlok Expanse. It's a region where powerful earth nodes and ancient ley lines intersect. Whomever or whatever constructed the pyramids of Ascore likely utilized this congruence for some unknown purpose.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2015 :  19:42:28  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:

Ummmmm...

No, there is another ...

-- George Krashos

If that's a reference to what I think it was then that was awful, and from the wrong universe.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2015 :  14:03:28  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, I think I've used that line in another post, regarding 'future potential FR lore', and I think that may be what Krash was referencing.

And if not, now I have a picture in my head of the scrappy little Doctor (when he became a shrunken, wizened 'gnome' thanks to The Master) arguing with Yoda. - "It a timey-wimey thing!", "An idiot, I think you are".

Hmmmm... The Silence as Force-users... NAAAAHHHHHH.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 05 Jan 2015 14:04:16
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2015 :  23:48:14  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James
(...) It's a region where powerful earth nodes and ancient ley lines intersect. (...)

What are "ley lines", or would it be "fey lines"?

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Jan 2015 :  23:58:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James
(...) It's a region where powerful earth nodes and ancient ley lines intersect. (...)

What are "ley lines", or would it be "fey lines"?

Ley lines is correct.

Short version: Lines of magical energy connecting various geographical points. Commonly, it's believed that if a lot of ley lines converge in an area, there is a dramatical increase in magical energy in that area.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 06 Jan 2015 00:00:55
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2015 :  02:04:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hmmmm... The Silence as Force-users... NAAAAHHHHHH.

That's a really scary prospect, Markus. And one that I'd be keen to tinker with, actually, should I ever run a SW/DW merged campaign.

Just think of it... The Sith Lords CRPG's Darth Nihilus as a Silent.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 06 Jan 2015 :  05:28:59  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, given the end of that story-arc, they were neither very good or very bad - just trying to maintain the 'status-quo'. More like the 'grey Jedi' then a true Jedi or Sith.

Still, I like them as villains - they are pretty epic. How the heck do you fight something you can't remember? I wonder if their ability would work on an illithid? (or an Ood, for that matter).

Anyhow, it may seem I am rambling again, but the direction I've taken - scify and aliens - isn't all that far off the mark.

Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2015 :  11:15:21  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
Ley lines is correct.
(...)

Thank you very much, Wooly! Limited English, you know...

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2015 :  15:45:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
Ley lines is correct.
(...)

Thank you very much, Wooly! Limited English, you know...

Understood. Ley lines have not gotten much mention in prior Realmslore, and they're not the most universal concept... So I figured it was a good idea to give that link.

I myself had never heard of ley lines until they were an important plot point in a Shadowrun novel I read in the early 90's.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2015 :  18:48:21  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Leylines was something I had to look-into way back in the 70's, when I was working on the 'Faerie' supplement for C&S. Then the company moved, and all my research went unused (I was still in HS, so I certainly couldn't move out west with FGU).

I've always found the RW concept fascinating (homes have even had to have their corners 'shaved off' for being across one), but I haven't really found any canon evidence of them in the Realms. If they would exist anywhere, it would be on Toril, but we've seen nothing concrete.

EDIT: And I would imagine that they would be part of the Weave, as well. Could be the Leylines are the 'major strands' of the magical web, anchoring it in place (just theorizing at this point).

Edited by - Markustay on 08 Jan 2015 18:50:23
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2015 :  22:00:37  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Leylines was something I had to look-into way back in the 70's, when I was working on the 'Faerie' supplement for C&S. Then the company moved, and all my research went unused (I was still in HS, so I certainly couldn't move out west with FGU).

I've always found the RW concept fascinating (homes have even had to have their corners 'shaved off' for being across one), but I haven't really found any canon evidence of them in the Realms. If they would exist anywhere, it would be on Toril, but we've seen nothing concrete.

EDIT: And I would imagine that they would be part of the Weave, as well. Could be the Leylines are the 'major strands' of the magical web, anchoring it in place (just theorizing at this point).

Yeah, I don't recall published references to them, but I found a quote from the Hooded One saying they were in Ed's original Realms.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2015 :  05:37:26  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
One day I might give you my take on the pyramids of Ascore.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2015 :  05:54:15  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Today is one day, please share

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2015 :  12:51:28  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No can do just yet. It's not been ruled out of the mix. Yet.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Lhynard
Acolyte

USA
33 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2017 :  18:15:42  Show Profile  Visit Lhynard's Homepage Send Lhynard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart

*put my mathematics degree to use*

The difficulty in a five-sided polygon is in figuring out how to create it with a compass (the one that draws circles, not the one that points north). It's one of those mathematical conundrums that, although you can create almost any of the basic degrees using a compass, the 72 degree needed to create a five-sided polygon is impossible* to do with a compass.

So, the question then becomes how difficult is it to express architecturally in the plans to build one? A four-sided pyramid, therefore, becomes MUCH more easier to design and build since 90 degrees is easy to create.

Of course, all this gets tossed out the window once you start using magic and it's "reality-is-just-a-guidline" rules-breaking.

*impossible, of course is defined as 'hasn't been done yet', of course.

Actually, the ancients solved how to draw a perfect pentagon with a compass and straightedge way back when; it is by no means impossible to do! (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentagon#Construction_of_a_regular_pentagon)

I know that it has been years since this post; my main reason was to bump this thread, not to nitpick you. No offense intended!
Go to Top of Page

Eremite
Learned Scribe

Singapore
182 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2017 :  15:33:06  Show Profile  Visit Eremite's Homepage Send Eremite a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LhynardI know that it has been years since this post; my main reason was to bump this thread, not to nitpick you. No offense intended!

I'm glad you bumped it. I was thinking about this post the other day when I discovered that I had fortunately saved George Krashos's explanation for the site which he posted at Ed's new site at some point and then it was erased.

For me, that's a canon answer to something I posted quite a while ago!

Best
E
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2017 :  01:49:44  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, it's not really canon and much of the credit for the explanation goes to Eric Boyd also, whose own version of the tale of Jergal for another project spawned mine. I don't usually like dabbling in matters "godly" as they usualy funnel out into a vast expanse of supposition and conjecture, but this one seemed "neat" in relative terms.

Back to work on something a little more mundane for the Realms.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2017 :  07:10:53  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well its the most ungodly godly event ive read so far. Thats why i like it. Plus there is little conjecture and lots of room for expansion (like what happened to the survivors of ascore).

Still my all time favourite of your articles.

Do whats the mundane piece about, swords of impiltur are never mundane.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page