Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Lord of Stormweather
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dave_Gross
Forgotten Realms Author

Canada
38 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2003 :  04:10:14  Show Profile  Visit Dave_Gross's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Since I totally snaked out on my earlier hint in another topic, then got distracted by a phone call, I'll forgo the traditional shame on starting a topic on one's own book and, well, start a topic on my own book.

Two wonderful surprises emerged when I opened my box of author copies this evening. (Actually, three, but I'm afraid to mention the third in public and get jinxed.)

First, the interior map (about which I'll say no more until you've actually read the whole book) is by that god among cartographers, Dennis Kauth. What a great job he did! I hate turning over my poor excuse for a map when the editors request it, but I sure love seeing a good artist transform it into something beautiful.

Second, the promos for Lord of Stormweather showed a green background on the otherwise splendid cover design. Now, in magazine publishing (and to a large degree also in mass market book publishing), there are two particularly bad colors for covers: green and brown. LOS advertisements have shown a green background, which made me very sad, especially since Black Wolf had a brown background, which I think Terese Nielsen and Matt Adelsparger saved with her fantastic artwork and his splendid graphic design. When I first took LOS out of the box, it was in dim light, and I thought they'd changed the green to brown, which I thought the height of irony. Then I stepped into the light and saw that it was a lovely deep red.

O frabjous day!

So it might be hard for everyone to understand, but I'm excited that the books is red. My cat, Fred, is still avoiding me after the spontaneous happy dance he witnessed earlier. Poor devil. No one should have to see that.

Please pardon my giddiness. I'm just so happy about the red, and that lovely map.

Dave

P.S. The book should be in stores pretty soon, maybe a week.

P.P.S. Even though it's no longer green, it would make a splendid St. Patrick's Day gift for all your friends. One of the main characters is practically Irish!

ArcticKnight
Learned Scribe

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2003 :  04:18:37  Show Profile  Visit ArcticKnight's Homepage Send ArcticKnight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Am i to understand that LOS will be released this month? if so thats great!!!!!

2nd , you must tell us what the 3rd suprise is!!!! thats just not right. lol

thanx for the info , you can be sure it will be a wonderful Pattys day gift to myself.

"The man who does not read has little advantage over the man who cannot read."

Edited by - ArcticKnight on 18 Feb 2003 04:19:27
Go to Top of Page

Dave_Gross
Forgotten Realms Author

Canada
38 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2003 :  04:24:17  Show Profile  Visit Dave_Gross's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Knight,
Officially, no. The release date is still March, and probably it won't hit most bookstores until then. But usually when author copies show up, it means that it's only another week or so before some outlets begin carrying the book. This is not always true, and it's not true of all books that come out in a month. Release dates are arcane, mystical things that we mere mortals daren't constrain.

Ahem.

The third surprise will mean very little to anyone but me, but it does make for a marvelous mystery, doesn't it?

Cheers,

Dave

quote:
Originally posted by ArcticKnight

Am i to understand that LOS will be released this month? if so thats great!!!!!

2nd , you must tell us what the 3rd suprise is!!!! thats just not right. lol

thanx for the info , you can be sure it will be a wonderful Pattys day gift to myself.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2003 :  09:04:02  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, im REALLY looking forward to this novel!! Now im really drooling! I understand your excitement about the cover Dave, id be the same! After all, a cover of a book draws in a lot of people!

I can only imagine the immense excitement authors get when they receive their authors copy in a box one morning....it must be the most amazing feeling!

I hope Ill be able to pick up a copy soon enough (no im not going to start my ancient rant about lack of novel availability in the UK ).... maybe some stands will have it at Euro GENCON

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Bellua Aeneus Lacerta
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2003 :  15:53:25  Show Profile  Visit Bellua Aeneus Lacerta's Homepage Send Bellua Aeneus Lacerta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So it might be hard for everyone to understand, but I'm excited that the books is red. My cat, Fred, is still avoiding me after the spontaneous happy dance he witnessed earlier. Poor devil. No one should have to see that.

Please pardon my giddiness. I'm just so happy about the red, and that lovely map

A good map always helps the story along-congrats!

Why do I keep picturing Steve Martin?
"The new phone books are here,the new phone books are here!"
Go to Top of Page

Dave_Gross
Forgotten Realms Author

Canada
38 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2003 :  23:45:01  Show Profile  Visit Dave_Gross's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bellua Aeneus Lacerta

Why do I keep picturing Steve Martin?
"The new phone books are here,the new phone books are here!"

Now if you crossed that image with one of Drew Carey, you'd be on the right track. Imagine Fred's alarm!

Dave

Edited by - Dave_Gross on 21 Feb 2003 01:41:33
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2003 :  09:31:48  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Reading Voronica's post in another topic, it mentions that Tazi is used in Lord of Stormweather also . Is this novel more a story of the whole Uskevren family or does she just make a brief appearance. I think I remember reading also that Talbot features in the novel too.

Lord Rad

Edited by - Lord Rad on 21 Feb 2003 09:32:44
Go to Top of Page

Dave_Gross
Forgotten Realms Author

Canada
38 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2003 :  16:24:26  Show Profile  Visit Dave_Gross's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Tazi, Talbot, Larajin, and Shamur all appear in Lord of Stormweather, and they have critical roles in the story, but the characters who get the most attention are Tamlin, Thamalon, Cale, and . . . well, I don't want to spoil the last one before you read Chapter Three, but it's not an Uskevren.

So Tazi appears a few times, and it's more than briefly, but I wouldn't claim she's a major character. Ditto for Talbot and Larajin. Shamur's role is bigger, but not quite as big as those of the four POV characters.

Among the POV characters, Tamlin and Thamalon have the key roles, but everybody--everybody--changes pretty significantly by the end of the novel. In some cases, those events lead to a big decision. In other cases . . . well, there we go with the spoilers again.

Still haven't seen the book in stores, but it shouldn't be too much longer.

Dave

quote:
Originally posted by Rad

Reading Voronica's post in another topic, it mentions that Tazi is used in Lord of Stormweather also . Is this novel more a story of the whole Uskevren family or does she just make a brief appearance. I think I remember reading also that Talbot features in the novel too.

Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2003 :  16:33:08  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dave_Gross

<snip>
Among the POV characters, Tamlin and Thamalon have the key roles, but everybody--everybody--changes pretty significantly by the end of the novel. In some cases, those events lead to a big decision. In other cases . . . well, there we go with the spoilers again.

Still haven't seen the book in stores, but it shouldn't be too much longer.

Dave

everybody hmmm do we need to read that as every body...?

Intrigueing...

<starts rummaging mind, trying to recall details of series...>
Go to Top of Page

Dave_Gross
Forgotten Realms Author

Canada
38 Posts

Posted - 21 Feb 2003 :  18:11:24  Show Profile  Visit Dave_Gross's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mumadar Ibn Huzal
everybody hmmm do we need to read that as every body...?

Intrigueing...

<starts rummaging mind, trying to recall details of series...>

I hadn't meant it that way, but you wouldn't be wrong . . .

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Bellua Aeneus Lacerta
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2003 :  15:17:20  Show Profile  Visit Bellua Aeneus Lacerta's Homepage Send Bellua Aeneus Lacerta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dang--Just made the 100 mile round trip to Waldenbooks yesterday, and LoS wasn't there yet.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2003 :  19:31:04  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just got my copy of "Lord of Stormweather" in the mail from Amazon. I should start reading it late tonight or Thursday after I finish the last twenty pages of the current novel I'm reading.

I got the reprints of Tangled Webs and Daughter of the Drow as well. Rather than reading those novels again in anticipation of Windwalker, I'm heading to "Lord of Stormweather." I hope that shows Mr. Gross how much I've enjoyed the Sembia series and have anticipated this book.
Go to Top of Page

DragonofJustice
Acolyte

46 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2003 :  06:44:45  Show Profile  Visit DragonofJustice's Homepage Send DragonofJustice a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Somebody mentioned this book in another thread somewhere, can't find it right now, and I lack patience. But anyhow, I went to the bookstore today, and saw it not. Now, I am very curious. It is a sad state of affairs that there was a time I new the whens, the whats, hows, and whys of all books in print about FR, when the next one was coming out, and what it was about. Now, I am old (don't even say a word little wyrm) and too caught up in work and life to finish a book in a week, much less the half-a-day it used to take me to devour one book.

Sad. . .so sad.
Go to Top of Page

Bookwyrm
Great Reader

USA
4740 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2003 :  16:17:24  Show Profile  Visit Bookwyrm's Homepage Send Bookwyrm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why not? You did it to me.

Hell hath no fury like all of Candlekeep rising in defense of one of its own.

Download the brickfilm masterpiece by Leftfield Studios! See this page for more.
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2003 :  17:11:52  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah but disciple of Tyr, that's just between thy ears. One has to but sit down for a moment and convince oneself of the achievability of the task and it will be achievable. Three books in one weekend with time to spare is within the realms of possibilities... and I'm not even a native english speaker...

<throws down the proverbial and virtual glove in challenge>
Go to Top of Page

Bellua Aeneus Lacerta
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2003 :  23:51:17  Show Profile  Visit Bellua Aeneus Lacerta's Homepage Send Bellua Aeneus Lacerta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just got the red book today.
Sooo good, so far.
Or so far, soooo good
Go to Top of Page

Dave_Gross
Forgotten Realms Author

Canada
38 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2003 :  01:27:49  Show Profile  Visit Dave_Gross's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hope you like it all the way through, Bellua. If you do, tell everyone (especially on amazon.com). On the other hand, if you don't like it, don't tell nobody!

I'd love to hear what you and the others on this board think of the book, especially if you can come to the Lord of Stormweather chat at wizards.com next Friday at 5:00 p.m. Pacific Time. I know the time difference will make it hard for many of the readers here.

We're also trying to get together a "Sembia Wrap Party" with as many of the Sembian Seven as can make it, probably some time in April. It would be great to have some of the local sages from this board visit for both of those occasions.

Dave

quote:
Originally posted by Bellua Aeneus Lacerta

Just got the red book today.
Sooo good, so far.
Or so far, soooo good

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2003 :  11:24:20  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dave_Gross
We're also trying to get together a "Sembia Wrap Party" with as many of the Sembian Seven as can make it, probably some time in April. It would be great to have some of the local sages from this board visit for both of those occasions.

Sometimes, just sometimes, being in England REALLY sucks!!

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Bellua Aeneus Lacerta
Senior Scribe

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2003 :  00:33:18  Show Profile  Visit Bellua Aeneus Lacerta's Homepage Send Bellua Aeneus Lacerta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whew! I just got back from Lord of Stormweather.(I know-some people only read their books).I laughed, I cried, all that good stuff. Really, It was an enjoyable book to read. Only complaint is the same one I always have--It coulda been longer.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2003 :  06:09:55  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bellua Aeneus Lacerta stated:

quote:
It was an enjoyable book to read

I hate me too posts, but ...me too. I really enjoyed "Lord of Stormweather." Dave Gross did a really good job in making all the Stormweather characters a part of the story. I can only envision what an author must feel writing a character that someone else has already written in another novel. This book strongly concluded the Sembia series and made me eager to read the novels in the near future featuring Tazi and Erevis Cale. Additionally, I'd like to conclude in pointing out how nice it is to see a group of characters evolve in a series and not remain static. This trait is not found in every FR series or character. Keep writing Mr. Gross. In fact, if you are reading this now, why aren't you writing???!!!!!

Go to Top of Page

Dave_Gross
Forgotten Realms Author

Canada
38 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2003 :  07:53:14  Show Profile  Visit Dave_Gross's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

Bellua Aeneus Lacerta stated:

quote:
It was an enjoyable book to read

I hate me too posts, but ...me too. I really enjoyed "Lord of Stormweather." <SNIP> Keep writing Mr. Gross. In fact, if you are reading this now, why aren't you writing???!!!!!

Hey, I was writing! Well, I was near writing. Okay, okay, I returned from a writer's group meeting with some nice feedback on my next outline, and I was still sort of thinking about writing.

Glad to see that some folks have finished the book and enjoyed it. If there's any possible way for you to join us next Friday at 5:00 p.m. Pacific Time (and I realize it's unlikely for all but the sturdiest night owls in the UK), please come to the Lord of Stormweather chat. Sounds like we have one special guest confirmed and another one probable. (I'll start haranguing him tomorrow.) Maybe if you help me encourage her a bit, we can persuade Voronica to crash the party, too. You can never have too many Sembians, I say.

Also, I just received clearance from the tower to talk about my next book, which has . . . let me see . . . one, two, three--no, four connections to the Sembia series! I think I can reveal all four of them at the chat.

Please don't scold me further, Sirius. I've set the alarm an hour early for a bit of writing in the morning. Promise!

Thanks for the kind words, Bellua and Sirius. They're much appreciated.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 11 Mar 2003 :  08:26:20  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I hope some of you scribes get to join Dave in the chat and then REPORT RIGHT BACK HERE IMMEDIATELY to tell the rest of us what transpired!!!

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

ArcticKnight
Learned Scribe

USA
169 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2003 :  23:08:48  Show Profile  Visit ArcticKnight's Homepage Send ArcticKnight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Dave, this is the first chance ive had to commment on LOS since i read it due to computer problems.

LOVED IT!!! great way to finish up the series!

on a side note i must say that the bottom of page 91 and all of page 92 had me laughing so hard i nearly passed out!!!! that was just so on the mark!!!

great book, looking forward to more from you!!!

"The man who does not read has little advantage over the man who cannot read."

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2003 :  14:44:59  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well Met

Sembia series novels, Lord of Stormweather and Dave Gross fans... see here for an opportunity to ask your questions as part of an interview with Dave Gross, author of the final novel in the series.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

AulayanDuerf
Acolyte

23 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2003 :  05:02:11  Show Profile  Visit AulayanDuerf's Homepage Send AulayanDuerf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I *FINALLY* Got Lord of Stormweather. Went to B&N the other day and grabbed a bunch of books.

I still have yet to find Sands of the Soul, so I may have to bite the bullet and order it off of Amazon.

Anyhow, onto LoS. I loved it. I had high expectations going in it, after Shadow's Witness and Black Wolf and of course all the comments here. And it definitely did not disappoint. I loved the portrayal of Thamalon the Lesser. The only complaint is..it seems the whole vault thing was underexplained. Or perhaps I just missed it, and will catch it in the second reading whenever that is. (Unlike many FR novels, this is going into my definitely read again list)

The Sembia Series has kept me attached to the Realms Fiction, when I've felt like dropping it due to all the books that have the overly-used plot of: If The Heroes Fail The World Could End (tm). I definitely cannot wait for Twilight Falling, Mistress of Night, and ... Tazi's Rogue book whose title I cannot remember at the moment.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2003 :  06:58:44  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AulayanDuerf

I definitely cannot wait for Twilight Falling, Mistress of Night, and ... Tazi's Rogue book whose title I cannot remember at the moment.

The Crimson Gold. I believe it is due in December.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2003 :  07:20:38  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is it part of a trilogy like the Erevis Cale books, or is it just a single novel?.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Zacas
Learned Scribe

USA
261 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2003 :  12:26:59  Show Profile  Visit Zacas's Homepage Send Zacas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
it's part of "The Rogue Series" but, as with the other upcoming class-based series, each novel is stand-alone... they mostly have nothing to do with what happens in the others... or so has been said before anyways... it might have changed..

I am like a superhero, with no powers or motivation.
I have gone to find myself. If I get back before I return, please keep me here.
People like you are the reason people like me are on medication.
Go to Top of Page

Voronica Whitney-Robinson
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
40 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2003 :  17:33:49  Show Profile  Visit Voronica Whitney-Robinson's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zacas

it's part of "The Rogue Series" but, as with the other upcoming class-based series, each novel is stand-alone... they mostly have nothing to do with what happens in the others... or so has been said before anyways... it might have changed..

It is a stand alone novel, so you don't have to read the others, but you'd be cheating yourself out of some good stories if you don't. Look for it this December! Hope to see some of the US Candlekeep crowd at GenCon this week.

V.

A friend will help you move.
A real friend will help you move a body...

Visit http://www.voronica.com to see what else I've been up to.

Edited by - Voronica Whitney-Robinson on 20 Jul 2003 17:35:07
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000