Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Faerūnian conspiracy theories?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Unski
Acolyte

Finland
12 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2005 :  09:36:15  Show Profile  Visit Unski's Homepage Send Unski a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Earth has dozens of them, which naturally made me wonder if the Forgotten Realms had any well established conspiracy theories?
Like people with lead pots in their heads, claiming that now the illithids can't control them, like they control the rest of the world.
Or that it's always the Zhents.

The Realms of course are a bit too supernatural for the common conspiracies. A flying saucer might not be too incredible to witness if you have even flying ships or carpets!

But what's the truth out there?

And that be the end of that story.

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2005 :  11:22:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think a good conspiracy theory would need a more established communications network. It's a lot easier to keep a secret when word doesn't spread all that quickly.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2005 :  14:33:00  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello-

I agree with Wooly on this one. Not since the advent of mass communication has information traveled so quickly as it has since. IN fact - I would say that the communication revolution - which IMHO did not really get started until say - the late 50's early 60's was/is to blame for the radical change in the US's presidental election system - as well as the (to me) shift in the British royals' behaviour in general; or at least - the speed and completeness that it is communicated at.

It is my thoughts that a 'conspiracy theory' type mentality though might exist within some of the larger organizations - like the Zhents, Harpers, and some of the churches - each organization blaming the other (at least among themselves - if not outwardly) for events that are detrimental to that group. However - the common people probably don't have anything that moves quite in those directions - most things probably are more of the 'old wives tales' sort of thing - that the larger groups can readilly check into and determine if its right or wrong - where the commoner - is left to beleive or not.

I would even add that the Harpers - with Khelben's recently leaving the group and founding another group - not to mention his purported 'deal with the devil' as it were - might start some people in the Harpers to have a very 'conspiracy theory' type thoughts.

Dhomal

I am collecting the D&D Minis. I would be more than willing to trade with people. You can send me a PM here with your email listed - and I can send you my minis list. Thanks!

Successfully traded with Xysma!
Go to Top of Page

Mystery_Man
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2005 :  15:47:50  Show Profile  Visit Mystery_Man's Homepage Send Mystery_Man a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A conspiracy theory is a theory that claims an event or series of events is the result of secret manipulations by two or more individuals or an organization, rather than the result of a single perpetrator or natural occurrence. Conspiracy theories often defy an official or dominant understanding of events, and proponents sometimes substitute zeal for logic.

Take the Realms timeline - In 1372 Tilverton suffers an attack of unknown origin in Mirtul. All that is left of the town is a dark, concave space filled with shadows and flitting regions of deeper darkness.

Now take a whacky theory and wrap it around that particular event. Khelben secretly knew all along that this event was going to happen and did nothing to stop it. Going so far as to remove all of his Moonstars from the area so that they would not fall victim to whatever it was that caused the problem in the first place. It isn't true of course but isn't it a funny coincidence that no Moonstars were in the area at the time it happened? One could even postulate that Kheblen went so far as to help the event along because he made pact with whatever was going to cause the event not to come near Waterdeep. Now before all you canonites get all up in arms I know it's crazy, and completely untrue. But it's plausible to the layman since his credibilty is already suspect.

Edited by - Mystery_Man on 27 Dec 2005 15:49:44
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2005 :  16:55:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mystery_Man

But it's plausible to the layman since his credibilty is already suspect.

It's plausible, but the layman won't know about the Moonstars, and possibly not even the Harper schism. And this theory wouldn't be all that widespread, since there isn't a good communications network. Sure, bards could carry the tale -- but some Harper/Moonstar bards would work against it, and other bards would add to it or embellish it... Plus, at least in regards to this scenario, most Cormyrians outside of Tilverton never really paid much attention to it.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 27 Dec 2005 16:56:53
Go to Top of Page

Mystery_Man
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2005 :  17:37:51  Show Profile  Visit Mystery_Man's Homepage Send Mystery_Man a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, Waterdeep is a bit too far away. Trade Kelben for Vangerdahast and Moonstars for Purple Knights and you have yourself a pretty good conspiracy theory.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11716 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2005 :  21:48:49  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I saw Khelben (in illusory form) selling innocents to a demon (in illusory form) in Skullport, all in exchange for a staff that was all black. This was years back, but I think he still totes the staff today <g>.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Unski
Acolyte

Finland
12 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2005 :  10:03:45  Show Profile  Visit Unski's Homepage Send Unski a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suppose that all of you are correct. Though many types of rumours spread around in large cities, the lack of fast communication (if you ignore the few rare crystal balls) prevents any secrets from popping up in the open. But Mystery Man gave a good example, though this blurrs the line between rumours and classical conspiracy theories. Speach is one thing, but a videotape is totally another.
Hmm, I have spotted how Planescape is quite filled with different conspiracies and conspiracy theories. Darn Yugoloths!

And that be the end of that story.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000