Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Book Club
 General Book Club Discussion
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

Malarick
Seeker

United Kingdom
86 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2005 :  17:30:30  Show Profile Send Malarick a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
We can use this thread for general discussion about the book clubs. What did you like about them, and any recommendations for future novels.

Towards the end of November, we will run a poll to see what future novels people are interested in reading. That way we can plot out the schedule for the next few months.

If there is enough activity, and people are interested, we may also start to take suggestions for 'classic' realms novels which people would like to read again, and discuss.

I look forward to your input.

Thanks

Mal

Malarick

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2005 :  17:39:01  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Indeed, classics will be given some focus in the book club.

Rest assured, however, that new releases will be featured in the book club, by default.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2005 :  00:38:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oooh! I like the "Classics" reading idea.

I have another suggestion to make regarding this whole BOOK CLUB... but I'll discuss it with Big Al via PM .

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 31 Oct 2005 00:42:36
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2005 :  08:08:49  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Oooh! I like the "Classics" reading idea.

I have another suggestion to make regarding this whole BOOK CLUB... but I'll discuss it with Big Al via PM .

Well met

Very well, Sage. Thy input is always appreciated (even though it oft means more work ). No PM as yet, i'll wait to hear.

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Malarick
Seeker

United Kingdom
86 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2005 :  17:24:45  Show Profile Send Malarick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hooper101

when is the next book starting?

Midnight's Mask starts from this month, as soon as people can get their hands on a copy. Mine is already on it's way to me!

The next book club will start in December, and will be Ghostwalker by Erik Scott deBie.

Thanks

Mal

Malarick

Edited by - Malarick on 31 Oct 2005 17:25:12
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2005 :  20:29:14  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, how lovely. Right -- I shall have to block off time, then. ;)

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Malarick
Seeker

United Kingdom
86 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2005 :  23:04:55  Show Profile Send Malarick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

Oh, how lovely. Right -- I shall have to block off time, then.

Well you do have a long time to finish up your next FR novel

Malarick
Go to Top of Page

CreepyBastard
Acolyte

14 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2005 :  22:26:22  Show Profile  Visit CreepyBastard's Homepage Send CreepyBastard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Midnight's Mask starts from this month, as soon as people can get their hands on a copy. Mine is already on it's way to me!

Just got mine today. I also picked up The Whisper of Waves... I wasn't planning on it, but I thought about how much I enjoyed Annihilation, that I would see if it was a fluke, or if Phil really is a decent story-teller.
Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2005 :  22:42:21  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bastard, have you ever gone by a screen/username of "TheGreenBastard"?
Go to Top of Page

hooper101
Learned Scribe

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2005 :  23:02:48  Show Profile  Visit hooper101's Homepage Send hooper101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As stated before elswhere I am interested in a book club classics

Die, die, die ,die, die, why won't you just die you silly dragon!
Go to Top of Page

Malarick
Seeker

United Kingdom
86 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2005 :  23:16:00  Show Profile Send Malarick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CreepyBastard

Just got mine today.

Good to see you here Creepy!

I look forward to joining you this week discussing what I think will be another stunning novel from Mr Kemp!

Malarick
Go to Top of Page

CreepyBastard
Acolyte

14 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2005 :  13:15:32  Show Profile  Visit CreepyBastard's Homepage Send CreepyBastard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Winterfox

Bastard, have you ever gone by a screen/username of "TheGreenBastard"?

Nope. I'm just Creepy...
Go to Top of Page

CreepyBastard
Acolyte

14 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2005 :  13:17:51  Show Profile  Visit CreepyBastard's Homepage Send CreepyBastard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Good to see you here Creepy!

I look forward to joining you this week discussing what I think will be another stunning novel from Mr Kemp!

Yup, can't go wrong with PSK... IMO.
Go to Top of Page

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2005 :  17:41:45  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just wanted to stop by and say howdy. Howdy!

I see some familiar Book Club faces around here, and Mal and Creepy will be busy visiting our sister site's Club for the (for shame!) Eberron novels.
From experience, we can all tell you that these Book Clubs are a great means to express your opinion (within limits Creepy) and ask questions of our visiting authors. Don't harass the guests, and I know you won't because we have a fine site going here, and feel free to ask away.

I will stop in to give a nudge, but unfortunately will not be here for the whole discussion since I still have to read the first two books in this series. I will be back, in force, in December to pick at Erik's noggin' to see what makes him tick (or, does it tock?).

Enjoy!

"Hurling himself upon his enemies, he terrified them with slaughter!"

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Candlekeep proverb: If a thing is said often enough, fools aplenty will believe it to be true.
Go to Top of Page

Malarick
Seeker

United Kingdom
86 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2005 :  19:47:42  Show Profile Send Malarick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hammer of Moradin

I see some familiar Book Club faces around here, and Mal and Creepy will be busy visiting our sister site's Club for the (for shame!) Eberron novels.

Indeed, it is great to see some familiar faces! I hope we get more of the regular CK bunch join in, and make these book clubs even more popular!

I think given time, they will start to grow, as they did with the Eberron novels.

Malarick
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2005 :  20:44:55  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hammer of Moradin

I will be back, in force, in December to pick at Erik's noggin' to see what makes him tick (or, does it tock?).

Hey Hammer!

I'm afraid it's both -- aside from sounds that are many, varied, and completely different. ;)

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2005 :  00:14:55  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

The Whisper of Waves book club is now open for thy comments. Alas, Phil Athans will not be gracing us with his presence, but the threads are there for ye to discuss the novel amongst thyselves.

The tome is in 4 parts and contains a staggering 72 chapters (which I hear are very short).

So for this month, we have three book clubs running simultaneously (Of course, this won't always be the case...but this month I thought it best to include something for everyone):

Midnight's Mask (Erevis Cale Trilogy, book 3, by Paul S Kemp) - with author participation.

Whisper of Waves (The Watercourse Trilogy, book 1, by Phil Athans) - without author participation.

Elfshadow (Songs and Swords, book 1, by Elaine Cunningham) - with author participation.

I'll look forward to reading thy comments. Hope ye all enjoy the book club

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2005 :  00:48:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's nothing for me unfortunately .

I don't have Midnight's Mask, and Whisper of Waves is still a fortnight away yet, and I just re-read Elfshadow back in May.

Looks like I'll have to wait until the next club opens...

Go to Top of Page

Malarick
Seeker

United Kingdom
86 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2005 :  01:46:04  Show Profile Send Malarick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, as you know, the book club will remain open for the whole of the month, and probably a little after.

So once you have Whisper of Waves, there is still plenty of time to give us your thoughts!

Malarick
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2005 :  03:06:49  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Malarick

quote:

Well, as you know, the book club will remain open for the whole of the month, and probably a little after.

So once you have Whisper of Waves, there is still plenty of time to give us your thoughts!

I usually chime in on most novel scrolls here, but the Book Club discussions will now offer me a convenient enough place to do that as well I suppose .

Go to Top of Page

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2005 :  04:21:39  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sure you can come up with some comments or quesions for Elfshadow, Sage. Just play along at home and you too can win prizes!

"Hurling himself upon his enemies, he terrified them with slaughter!"

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Candlekeep proverb: If a thing is said often enough, fools aplenty will believe it to be true.
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2005 :  06:04:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's something I just thought of:

What's the policy regarding spoilers from other books?

For example, I haven't read Elfshadow, but I've read Silver Shadows and The Dream Spheres-what happens if something is noted in Elfshadow and I want to explain to someone how it's resolved in a later classic novel-is that allowed?
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2005 :  08:30:45  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

Here's something I just thought of:

What's the policy regarding spoilers from other books?

For example, I haven't read Elfshadow, but I've read Silver Shadows and The Dream Spheres-what happens if something is noted in Elfshadow and I want to explain to someone how it's resolved in a later classic novel-is that allowed?

Well met

Hmmmm, firstly i'd say notify that the point is explained in another particular novel. In addition, ye could always explain the exact details and highlight the text with the background color to hide it.

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Malarick
Seeker

United Kingdom
86 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2005 :  11:19:32  Show Profile Send Malarick a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would try and keep that out where possible, as we will be reading through the other novels in the series anyway.

If it is something related to a PAST novel, then I think that might be okay, but anything referring to LATER novels in the series should be avoided!

Thanks

Malarick
Go to Top of Page

CreepyBastard
Acolyte

14 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2005 :  12:49:32  Show Profile  Visit CreepyBastard's Homepage Send CreepyBastard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
From experience, we can all tell you that these Book Clubs are a great means to express your opinion (within limits Creepy) and ask questions of our visiting authors. Don't harass the guests, and I know you won't because we have a fine site going here, and feel free to ask away.

Just keeping the discussions honest, Hammer.
Go to Top of Page

Celebrant Moonflower
Acolyte

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2005 :  13:17:58  Show Profile  Visit Celebrant Moonflower's Homepage Send Celebrant Moonflower a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry i've been away for a while. I will join in whenever i can. I'm reading Midnight's Mask right now

When has truth been utterly devoid of paradox?

Edited by - Celebrant Moonflower on 06 Nov 2005 13:27:39
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2005 :  20:23:01  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, I have to be honest and admit that I'm not too keen on having the book comments split up by chapters/parts. This is a personal thing, because I generally just write what I think of, and take a very holistic approach when I comment on novels.

But still, this is a good idea, and I'm enjoying it so far.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2005 :  20:38:12  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Hmmm, I have to be honest and admit that I'm not too keen on having the book comments split up by chapters/parts. This is a personal thing, because I generally just write what I think of, and take a very holistic approach when I comment on novels.

I know it can be a little jarring whilst reading, but once you get used to it, it works great. You know you won't hit spoilers in a particular thread for a start and it's nice to be able to join in discussions on certain parts of the book. Speaking of which, i'm just started MM and need to get writing!

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2005 :  20:51:27  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Rad

quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

I know it can be a little jarring whilst reading, but once you get used to it, it works great. You know you won't hit spoilers in a particular thread for a start and it's nice to be able to join in discussions on certain parts of the book.

True, maybe it's just a matter of getting used to it. As some may have noticed, though, I'm still writing general comments in the Novels forum, though.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2005 :  06:17:28  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello-

Perhaps we should get the general scroll stickied to the top - so it does not get lost in the chapters sections....

:) :)

Dhomal

I am collecting the D&D Minis. I would be more than willing to trade with people. You can send me a PM here with your email listed - and I can send you my minis list. Thanks!

Successfully traded with Xysma!
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 08 Nov 2005 :  08:32:26  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dhomal

Hello-

Perhaps we should get the general scroll stickied to the top - so it does not get lost in the chapters sections....

:) :)

Dhomal

Well met

Aye, good point, Dhomal

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page