Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Who is the best spellcaster in the realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 15

Darkheyr
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2005 :  07:17:39  Show Profile  Visit Darkheyr's Homepage Send Darkheyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Well, the novels are bad, but Telamont is pretty cool - however, even in the novels, he never does anything that qualifies him as "the best spellcaster".

He is a level 35 caster, though. And pretty darn old. Novels are just that, novels. The Archwizards books are plain silly, thats aboot it, so I'm definitly not judging by that.
Also dont forget his mostly epic-level sons (most of them spellcasters) and the entire might of Shade behind him.

As for Iolaum: He is widely considered the second most powerful arcanist of Old Netheril, and was already old during Karsus' rise to power. He fled before the Fall, and by now he is an undead elder brain wizard or something equally strange. Without doubt one of the most powerful "mortals" of Faerūn. I can get you some more information once I'm home if you want :)

I also believe a former student of Iolaum is living somewhere around Red Larch...

silm.pw - A Neverwinter Nights Persistent World
Go to Top of Page

Khaa
Seeker

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2005 :  13:10:50  Show Profile  Visit Khaa's Homepage Send Khaa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anyone remember the wizards in R.A. Salvatore's series? There name escapes me... The ones who have "Puddlejumper" and one of them is a werewolf. I really like them. How many wizards sit around inventing spells no matter what happens to them.

Ever want another forum? Well try out www.icewinddale.com
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2005 :  14:20:27  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good point, Khaa. There are several criteria besides power and levels that could determine one to be the "best" caster of the Realms. It is a very subjective word, indeed.

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2005 :  17:22:00  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Khaa

Anyone remember the wizards in R.A. Salvatore's series? There name escapes me... The ones who have "Puddlejumper" and one of them is a werewolf. I really like them. How many wizards sit around inventing spells no matter what happens to them.

The Harpells. Bidderdoo (what a horrible name!) was the werewolf. Malchor Harpell is a normal mage, and a powerful one at that, but the rest of his clan are a few orcs short of a horde.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Fletcher
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2005 :  17:46:02  Show Profile  Visit Fletcher's Homepage Send Fletcher a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elminster it is. There is a distinct difference between best and most powerful. El isn't the most poweful wizard out there, but he has made the greatest difference with what power he has.

Run faster! The Kobolds are catching up!
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2005 :  20:27:37  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Khaa

I really like the Harpells too, specially Harkle and his spell that allows him to know things but making him banish if revealing them, I have never seen any wizard using such a spell; (sorry at this moment I can't remember the name of the spell). Someone must be a slightly powerful wizard to use this. But I am not saying he is the most powerful though, it is a too subjective opinion.

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est

Edited by - Thelonius on 03 Nov 2005 20:28:17
Go to Top of Page

Darkheyr
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2005 :  07:11:03  Show Profile  Visit Darkheyr's Homepage Send Darkheyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fletcher

Elminster it is. There is a distinct difference between best and most powerful. El isn't the most poweful wizard out there, but he has made the greatest difference with what power he has.

I suggest you read up on the wizards I mentioned ;)

Especially Larloch is a master schemer - he just doesn't WANT to control or influence the entire world. He's happy gathering knowledge and magic items.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2005 :  20:00:46  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I guess I look at this question from a very humanistic perspective. *shrug* Iolaum might be old and powerful, but come on, now he's some sort of brain? How can I relate to that? Same goes for the Shades. Old they may be, but didn't they spend much of their lives on a distant plane? I like someone who is not just powerful and old, but walks the Realms with everyone else, interacts with everyday folk, learns from them, and shares his gifts with others.

And I agree that "powerful" is a deceptively subjective term.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Darkheyr
Learned Scribe

264 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2005 :  07:17:43  Show Profile  Visit Darkheyr's Homepage Send Darkheyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
True. I rate from experience, personal power and influence.

Elminster has the Chosen of Mystra and other friends, Telamont has his Shades, Szass Tam has Thay, Larloch his cadre of liches... Hard to tell the most powerful. But just from their vast collected knowledge and experience, I couldn't go with Elminster, but Larloch, Halaster, Telamont and Iolaum. Halaster doubly so, because he's insane :P

Go to Top of Page

Magus Rages
Acolyte

15 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2005 :  11:37:35  Show Profile  Visit Magus Rages's Homepage Send Magus Rages a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fascinating replies from all who had replied, thank you!, nice and honest replies from Darkheyr and Rinonalyrna Fathomlin, rarely do I come across such honest replies, well thanks by the way.

So far based on the polls, it appears that Elminister has the leading vote, not surprising anyway but rather much expected since the Old Sage is considered currently the realms' greatest spellcaster or what some says as the currently most powerful spellcaster given he has Mystra's favor.
Halaster may be mad and insane and a sure supermage, but he is capable of exerting his tremendous power when it is needed, heard that he can go One on One with the 9 Chosen of Mystra, or maybe go against all 9. Also, he is considerably patient enough to complete his Undermountain project which he manipulates it as though it was his playhouse. Larloch is reclusive, gang-boss of a circle of liches(ex-archwizards) and yet possessing insurmountable power and wisdom, a level 46 mage, ex-netheril supermage with enough wits to fight Karsus, but he had created the Death Moon Orb, one of the most hotly contested and fought over items. Telamont Tanthul, near supermage was heard to be a former mentalist(some say so which may explain why he was able to use his will to tame a dracolich) and Telamont may have the backing of 500 shades or so, Telamont himself is hard to take on especially when he is made of shadowstuff(100% pure shadowstuff quality) and with a incredible mastery of the Shadow Weave but Telamont's body is ailing weak. Elminister may be near a thousand years old with great mastery of the Weave magics, a supermage yes, but he seems slightly addled of mind.

How I consider in my opinion of who is considered the most superior and powerful spellcaster is based on my personal catergory:
1) Ability to eliminate powerful opponents whether they are in massive numbers or small numbers and conquering powerful spellcasters with minimum exertion of efforts and done in the shortest time.
2) Flexible, adaptable and pragmatic, able to bend the situation to his will and whim as well as responding to change of situations in the most appropriate way as the situation demands.
3) Control-example: no stuttering and stammering during spellcasting- and decisiveness with incredible willpower in himself/herself.
4) Great planner and strategist with foresight, I mean, like able to forsee what potential threats may arise against his/her power, and developing superpowerful spells in advance to deal with the threats and alongside a sound planned strategy to implement the spells against the threats. Larloch and Telamont Tanthul(has anyone read his personal spellbook yet?) are good examples.
5) Charisma.
6) Posssessing Unbreakable Devotion and Unbreakable concentration, unshakable determination and great perseverance.
7) Casting spells with Exteme speed(as fast as possible but at least above a newly graduated mage and above a lvl 30 mage) and extreme ruthlessness, with mind set on the results and victory, I mean like Drizzt being the Hunter, killing with extreme speed and extreme ruthlessness.
8) Learning quickly from personal defeats and others' defeats.
9) A constant thinker and analyzer, never sitting around and hanging up the legs.

Guess who among the spellcasters has the most number of listed points in my catergory?

Edited by - Magus Rages on 07 Nov 2005 11:40:05
Go to Top of Page

Khaa
Seeker

USA
80 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2005 :  13:25:13  Show Profile  Visit Khaa's Homepage Send Khaa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Im dunno who. But think of the Harpells!

Ever want another forum? Well try out www.icewinddale.com
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2005 :  15:17:07  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Narm - the damsel in distress

Edited by - Chosen of Bane on 07 Nov 2005 15:17:50
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2005 :  15:21:15  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

I guess I look at this question from a very humanistic perspective. *shrug* Iolaum might be old and powerful, but come on, now he's some sort of brain? How can I relate to that? Same goes for the Shades. Old they may be, but didn't they spend much of their lives on a distant plane? I like someone who is not just powerful and old, but walks the Realms with everyone else, interacts with everyday folk, learns from them, and shares his gifts with others.

And I agree that "powerful" is a deceptively subjective term.

Well, to be fair, the Shades didn't ask to be away from Faerun for all that time.

Powerful is a very relative term - like I said, look at Szass Tam, he may not have all the levels, but he certainly has more underlings who are powerful than, let's say Khelben. I know that Khelben has a great many friends, but you don't control friends through power - underlines you do.

There is a lot of different scales that can be used to discuss powerful.

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11690 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2005 :  16:20:58  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why Sleyvas of Thay, of course <g>. So he lacks the sheer power of these others. He makes up for it in creativity.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2005 :  20:15:28  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Magus Rages

Fascinating replies from all who had replied, thank you!, nice and honest replies from Darkheyr and Rinonalyrna Fathomlin, rarely do I come across such honest replies, well thanks by the way.

You're more than welcome.

quote:
Guess who among the spellcasters has the most number of listed points in my catergory?

Hmm, I don't know...Elminster? The Simbul? :) Although Elminster isn't as obsessed with "power", IMO, as a lot of other mages are, which may be a good thing. He has taken it upon himself to look beyond his personal power and work for all good people in the Realms.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 07 Nov 2005 :  20:17:26  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CrennenFaerieBane

Well, to be fair, the Shades didn't ask to be away from Faerun for all that time.

Maybe so, but that doesn't change the fact that they *were* away for such a long time.

quote:
Powerful is a very relative term - like I said, look at Szass Tam, he may not have all the levels, but he certainly has more underlings who are powerful than, let's say Khelben. I know that Khelben has a great many friends, but you don't control friends through power - underlines you do.

There is a lot of different scales that can be used to discuss powerful.

True. As for friends, they aren't something you control (or would want to control, else they wouldn't be friends), but they can represent a certain kind of influence, which is itself a kind of power.

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 07 Nov 2005 20:17:47
Go to Top of Page

wiseguysez
Acolyte

Canada
8 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2006 :  03:02:14  Show Profile  Visit wiseguysez's Homepage Send wiseguysez a Private Message  Reply with Quote
meh, ya all raise interesting points and its hard to take a side in your argument. I'd say to pit one mage against another close competitor. alone. without any of their apprentices and friends and such. and then pit one mages apprentices against the others' and so on. then just take all the "stats" and do an overall. that is, if u have nothing better to do with your life... no offense to anyone who might use this idea or one similar to it...
Go to Top of Page

Vvornth
Acolyte

Sweden
48 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2006 :  10:50:39  Show Profile  Visit Vvornth's Homepage Send Vvornth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I heartly recommend that you expand your posting habits beyond threads with polls.

It's good to be king
Go to Top of Page

Faramicos
Senior Scribe

Denmark
468 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2006 :  12:21:38  Show Profile  Visit Faramicos's Homepage Send Faramicos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My vote goes to the Old, wise mage of the Dalelands. His general actions and place as chosen of Mystra (GODDESSS OF MAGIC for petes sake) must make him nothing less than the top candidate for the title in question...

"When dragons make war, worlds can only tremble in the shadow of angry wings"
Go to Top of Page

Rivalen
Acolyte

19 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2006 :  12:25:03  Show Profile  Visit Rivalen's Homepage Send Rivalen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted Halaster Blackcloak, the famous genius of Undermountain, if there is anybody who can go toe to toe with the greatest of Mystra's Chosen, I would bet my chips on Halaster Blackcloak as the one.

Fight to win, but donlt fight too long or for glorious tales.
Go to Top of Page

Mystery_Man
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2006 :  13:26:54  Show Profile  Visit Mystery_Man's Homepage Send Mystery_Man a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I'd vote Larloch if he was on the list. He could deliver a spanking to anyone on the list or off.
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2006 :  04:46:18  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where is Larloch, or Shaaan the Serpent Queen? 'Tis my humble opinion that these two archwizards should both be suitable candidates for "The Best Spellcaster in the Realms"-title

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Crust
Learned Scribe

USA
273 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2006 :  20:05:43  Show Profile  Visit Crust's Homepage Send Crust a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alassra Silverhand...

Look, someone knows his FR!

You should have definitely just said "The Simbul."

I chose Alassra Silverhand (The Simbul to the layperson) based on her performance in Silverfall and El in Hell. Elminster might be more inventive, but I've always thought that The Simbul was capable of unleashing more destruction than anyone else. If I were captain, I'd pick The Simbul first.

"That's right, hurl back views that force ye to think by name-calling - 'tis the grand old tradition, let it not down! Anything to keep from having to think, or - Mystra forfend - change thy own views!"

Narnra glowered at her father. "Just how am I to learn how to think? By being taught by you?"

"Some folk in the Realms would give their lives for the chance to learn at my feet," Elminster said mildly. "Several already have."

~from Elminster's Daughter, Ed Greenwood

Edited by - Crust on 19 Jan 2006 20:09:48
Go to Top of Page

GungHo
Seeker

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2006 :  21:57:13  Show Profile  Visit GungHo's Homepage Send GungHo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Volo
Go to Top of Page

TonyMontana1638
Acolyte

18 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2006 :  05:36:49  Show Profile  Visit TonyMontana1638's Homepage Send TonyMontana1638 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I went with El simply because he strikes me as, in a literary sense (even if that isn't the sense the thread creator was looking for), I believe he would defeat any of these wizards on here. Before you chuck CR levels or such at me, I just have to think that he would find a way to best any of them one-on-one (which is how I classify 'powerful' though there are many other ways to do so), even if it meant destroying himself in the process.

Also, shouldn't Qysar Shoon VIII (I know that isn't compeltely right, but should be close enough) be on here somewhere?

"Don't give up... Don't ever give up."
-Jimmy Valvano

The V Foundation for Cancer Research
http://www.jimmyv.org/
Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2006 :  22:36:19  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hmm... i think alot fo the most powerful mages have been forgotten over time.
i believe I would list the terraseer and more mages of other races.
It seems like many extremely powerful elven high mages might have had hgiher levels of power than these listed but there are no stories of their actions directly.
I think also that many dragons came to master a level of magic higher than those listed when they ruled faerun!
there is so much ancient history that it makes sense for some epic wizards to be overlooked
and I'd like to take a moment of silence for them

ok silence is over.
haha

"You came here to be a martyr in a great big bang of glory... instead you will die with a whimper."
::moussaoui tries to interrupt::
"You will never get a chance to speak again and that's an appropriate ending."

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2006 :  10:35:25  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why isn`t the Sojourner from the Erevis Cale trilogy here? Everyone who has read Midnight`s Mask knows what HE is capable of.(and that was when he was old and dying)

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Volo
Seeker

Canada
58 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2006 :  11:03:34  Show Profile  Visit Volo's Homepage Send Volo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm. You haven't listed one that I'd consider. Iahkovas. Consider the sheer amount of destruction he unleashed in his few years of terror.

Or, barring him, Larloch.

Volo's misunderstood. He's not an idiot. He's a FLAMING idiot!
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2006 :  23:26:38  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Crust

I chose Alassra Silverhand (The Simbul to the layperson) based on her performance in Silverfall and El in Hell. Elminster might be more inventive, but I've always thought that The Simbul was capable of unleashing more destruction than anyone else. If I were captain, I'd pick The Simbul first.

I think Elminster is no less capable, he is just more likely to stay his hand. :)

Go to Top of Page

Lady Kazandra
Senior Scribe

Australia
921 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2006 :  00:11:58  Show Profile  Visit Lady Kazandra's Homepage Send Lady Kazandra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:
Originally posted by Crust

I think Elminster is no less capable, he is just more likely to stay his hand. :)

I think some people overemphasise the destruction/chaotic nature of the Simbul, to a degree. Yes she is quite proficient in the Art and yes she is often capricious with its use displaying little to no patience. But at the same time, she has goals and she moves to enact them almost always through her use of great magic.

So while I think she is less likely to "stay her hand" unlike Elminster . . . I also believe that she would try to at least understand a little about a situation before heading into something "with spells blazing".

"Once upon a time the plural of 'wizard' was 'war'." -- The Last Continent, by Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 15 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000