Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Favorite Seven Sister
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2005 :  03:28:24  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
Mr. Scott de Bie's new posting thread has caused me to ask the general population of this board who their favorite Seven Sister is and why? They all have their merits but what makes them super special to you...

C-Fb

Choices:

Storm Silverhand
Dove Falconhand
The Simbul
Laeral Silverhand Arunsun
Alustriel Silverhand
Sylune
Qilue - High Priest of Eilistraee
All of them! - They are the best!

(Anonymous Vote)

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.

Edited by - Crennen FaerieBane on 02 Oct 2005 03:33:51

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2005 :  03:38:16  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, Alustriel is winning! Oh, wait, its only me so far. I have always liked Alustriel. For some reason when I first got into the Realms, I associated much more with Waterdeep and the Savage Frontier than with the Heartlands region. FR1 and FR4 were my favorite supplements for a long time, and Alustriel was just great. Of coure, back in FR4 Laeral was still a psychopath, so that limited the list a bit more.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2005 :  06:20:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I picked Laeral. I'm sure that this may come as a shock to many of you, but I'm a bit on the mischievous side... So I like others who share that trait. Laeral has been depicted being mischievous and fun-loving, as well as intelligent -- ideal qualities in any woman. So, she's the one I'd choose.

The fact that she lives in Waterdeep, with my fave Chosen, is the frosting on the cake.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2005 :  07:02:17  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I chose the Simbul. I like her power, her style, and her determination . She's just wild! .

Plus, we still don't know a great deal about her. In addition, her gradual growth and development as a character always makes for good reading. But I think it's mainly because I'm always a sucker for wild women with mysterious pasts! ::winks at a certain lady friend::

Add to that the background of Aglarond, which is a realm that I enjoy reading about, and you've got my winner in this category .

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 02 Oct 2005 07:03:29
Go to Top of Page

Beezy
Learned Scribe

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2005 :  07:50:25  Show Profile  Visit Beezy's Homepage Send Beezy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I picked Storm, she was always one of my favorite of Ed's characters
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2005 :  07:57:23  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why settle for one? I would rather have them all.

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2005 :  08:35:34  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted Laeral, she seemed to have a balance of intelligence, magic, cunning and cheerfulness, otherwise, all rounded. That's what make her capable and competent enough to check the growing power of other mages. But one thing she is quite notorious of, that is her naivete.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2005 :  09:28:42  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed I've always liked Sylune, misterious, out of reach...
Though I liked Laeral too, it's difficult not to feel attracted to such a char...

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est
Go to Top of Page

TymoraChosen
Seeker

67 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2005 :  10:12:14  Show Profile  Visit TymoraChosen's Homepage Send TymoraChosen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I picked Storm Silverhand, her particular characteristic of jumping to conclusions without any proper judgement makes her amusing to me. No wonder she was called Storm.

May tymora's blessings be heaped on all
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2005 :  14:17:40  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I chose Laeral.

If anyone has to ask why, they've not been paying attention.

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2005 :  16:12:31  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alustriel, simply because my last cheeky character had a bit of a 'thing' for her.

I really don't like Storm, perhaps she was portrayed badly but I thought she was a complete loser in the Avatars Trilogy. She was in Farthest Reach recently too, and I still didn't like her much, a bit too haughty and condescending for my liking.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2005 :  19:45:43  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dove.

Rangers represent!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Narithal
Acolyte

Canada
11 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2005 :  20:49:17  Show Profile  Visit Narithal's Homepage Send Narithal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like both Storm and Dove, but in the end I picked Dove. I love rangers!
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2005 :  03:13:17  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Bah, you people are all wrong.
Why settle for just one.
I mean there are 7 of them, so one for each day of the week...
Then just need to find 3 more lasses, so one can a different lass for each day of a Ride...

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2005 :  04:08:16  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I picked Storm because she's the one I'd most like to have tea with. But I basically like them all.

quote:
Originally posted by Kaladorm

I really don't like Storm, perhaps she was portrayed badly but I thought she was a complete loser in the Avatars Trilogy. She was in Farthest Reach recently too, and I still didn't like her much, a bit too haughty and condescending for my liking.

Read about her in Ed Greenwood's stories--she is his character, and he portrays her as the generally kindly, fun-loving lady that she is supposed to be.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2005 :  05:33:42  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

I picked Storm because she's the one I'd most like to have tea with. But I basically like them all.

quote:
Originally posted by Kaladorm

Read about her in Ed Greenwood's stories--she is his character, and he portrays her as the generally kindly, fun-loving lady that she is supposed to be.

The Avatar trilogy isn't the best basis for anything... Any time that the author's characters are supposed to be the heroes, there's a tendency to have iconic characters either stay in the background or come off poorly in comparison to them.

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2005 :  10:53:19  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought she was portrayed rather well in All Shadows Fled, though obviously this portrayal is by Ed himself. I have noticed that Troy Denning especially has a knack for making sure that established characters usually look like idiots at some point in time so that his main character can "get over" on them to prove their abilities.

For example, Galaearon being smarter, wiser, and more compassionate than Storm, Dove, Laeral, Alustriel, and Khelbun (not to mention this book being a prime example for those foolish enough not to think the Seven have separate personalities). It also come across in the Crucible (even though I liked it much better than the ROTAW) as Ruha is much more reasonable than Mystra, her goddess, and Malik is even a bit smarter than Cyric.
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2005 :  12:51:00  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Denning - I just don't understand why he got to write some of those books. I wish they would have run those stories by some editor so that it could have been fixed before they were released. The Seven Sisters are by no means the most powerful people, but I do believe they would be a fair bit smarter than they were portrayed.

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2005 :  12:52:39  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I vote in the Simbul for the same reasons that the Sage :: but not for the same lady friend, of course ::

But my heart beat fast every time that I read something about Laeral!

Chosen of Moradin

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto

Edited by - Chosen of Moradin on 03 Oct 2005 12:53:42
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2005 :  13:44:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Moradin

I vote in the Simbul for the same reasons that the Sage :: but not for the same lady friend, of course ::
Hehe...

In a strange twist, the Lady K had originally considered having her username here at Candlekeep as "The Simbul" .

Go to Top of Page

ShadowJack
Senior Scribe

USA
350 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2005 :  15:15:45  Show Profile  Visit ShadowJack's Homepage Send ShadowJack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
it was a close match for me between Dove and Storm... I picked Storm because we know more about her. As far as I know there has been more published about her.

Ruha was in Crucible? That is Ruha the bedine witch, right? I like her character... Never read Crucible so I don't know how she appeared in that book. In RotAW she was kind of a pain in the butt, though... I thought Storm was portrayed O.K. in those novels...

ShadowJack
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2005 :  17:27:53  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Her accusations of and leaping to conclusions annoyed me (was it Kelemvor who got in trouble? Or perhaps Cyric).

Also in Farthest Reach she seemed very condescending to people in two ways. The first was a kind of '*sigh* oh well, you'd better come with us then hadn't you?' approach to the ranger demon hunting party that gets nearly destroyed (2 survivors, can't remember their names). The second is when she talks to Seiveril and seems to only offer negative responces along the lines of 'good luck getting them to help' etc, or watching over Seiveril like a parent wanting their child to learn on their own, rather than actually save the dalelands; rather than offer help directly she just seems to nod when Seiveril gets something right and say something like 'yes very good, now what should you do next?' (quotes aren't real by the way, just summed up conversations of how they appeared to me) :)
Go to Top of Page

El Magnifico Uno
Learned Scribe

113 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2005 :  04:32:48  Show Profile  Visit El Magnifico Uno's Homepage Send El Magnifico Uno a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heh! I actually liked the portrayal of Storm in the Farthest Reach... She came across as a powerful leader jaded with the experience of many many years, looking out after "her" people, and once again facing an inevitable tide of evil as she has in the past and intends to continue doing so in the future... A mite better than the "I'm a whimsical munchkin fairy" impression I originally got about the Seven Sisters... 'Course I am a bit biased, as IMO Richard Baker is quite possibly the single best Realms writer (in my admittedly limited experience, the majority of which was back in the Zhentarium = Keystones Cops period, that to this day has created a soft spot in my heart for the beleagured and bungling Zhents, Red Wizards, and other unbelievably inept forces of darkness - always root for the under-dog!)...
Go to Top of Page

TheRedBard
Acolyte

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2005 :  06:14:51  Show Profile  Visit TheRedBard's Homepage Send TheRedBard a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Although she isnt in many books, I def love Alustriel the most. She rules one of the most important places in the realms. Yet the lovely High Lady doesnt use fear tactics, she never seems to want to use her power to right everything she deems wrong in her world as most of her sisters do. She does what good she can and tries to see problems from all angles. She is kindhearted and seems to really enjoy life more than any other chosen I can think of, and may very well be the most successful in life. (save perhaps for El) Everyone of her subjects loves her for just the way she is, and she seems to really value it more then magic, wealth or power. Silverymoon just rocks, lets all rally for the High Lady fellow scribes!!!

"You're only given a little spark of madness. And if you lose that, you're nothing!"
-Robin Williams, 1978 HBO Special
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2005 :  11:20:13  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheRedBard

Although she isnt in many books, I def love Alustriel the most. She rules one of the most important places in the realms. Yet the lovely High Lady doesnt use fear tactics, she never seems to want to use her power to right everything she deems wrong in her world as most of her sisters do. She does what good she can and tries to see problems from all angles. She is kindhearted and seems to really enjoy life more than any other chosen I can think of, and may very well be the most successful in life. (save perhaps for El) Everyone of her subjects loves her for just the way she is, and she seems to really value it more then magic, wealth or power. Silverymoon just rocks, lets all rally for the High Lady fellow scribes!!!

I think I'd pick Alustriel as my second choice, for pretty much the same reasons you list.

Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2005 :  11:31:21  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think I would pick either Dove or Qilue.

Dove - she's a ranger, a troublemaker, and generally pretty cool.

Qilue - she's a Drow, she's hot, and she's got the pariah vote.

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2005 :  13:46:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I think I'd pick Alustriel as my second choice, for pretty much the same reasons you list.
My second choice would be Laeral.

As for the reasons why... well, I think Steven already summed those up rather well!

Go to Top of Page

Gladi
Acolyte

Czech Republic
24 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2005 :  17:31:03  Show Profile  Visit Gladi's Homepage Send Gladi a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Be well
Oh like as a charcter .
Well I voted Storm, as I finally found some art that actually depicts her as desirable woman (on some solo novel of hers).

But as characters... None of the chosen really strike a chord within me.
Go to Top of Page

Vangelor
Learned Scribe

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 06 Dec 2005 :  08:22:49  Show Profile Send Vangelor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good poll, and tough pick.

I went with the Simbul because she's just a force of nature at this point. But I almost had to go "all of the above".

For second pick, it's equally difficult. I'll have to sat Qilué here. She has a very difficult road as Chosen of Eilistraee as well as Mystra, but I do believe those drow who strive for it are deserving of their redemption.
Go to Top of Page

Spree
Acolyte

7 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2005 :  14:50:16  Show Profile  Visit Spree's Homepage Send Spree a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Qilue... because she is drow.... I have a thing for dangerous, dark, perfectly build females.
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2005 :  01:49:57  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Syluné - she's misunderstood more than most, and seems particularly compassionate, gentle and caring. She has time for everyone and there is an air of mystery about her that intrigues me.

Second choice would be Laeral, mostly because of her sense of humour.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000