Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 Dragon #336
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2005 :  03:09:51  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Okay, so this issue is going to be a bit of a letdown after the last two three issues having Realms specific information in it, but there are a couple of things to note.

As I mentioned in my thread about the Paizo message boards, Erik Mona mentions in the letters section that they are looking into having at least one article for each of the "current" campaign settings included in each issue, meaning that they are seriously looking at a permanent article slot for FR material.

The other thing that has caught my attention so far in this issues are the rules for hauntings. Its really interesting to see other uses put in for clerical turning that still have to do with the undead, and to see alternate ways of defeating a "haunting" rather than just reducing an undead monster to 0 hit points. It really captured my attention.

The buyer's guide, apparently inaccurately, notes Champions of Valor as coming out in September, which had me in the throes of anguish (having just spend my gaming budget for the month), until I noticed on the WOTC site its still listed as a November release (in time for my birthday?).

There is also an article on undead origins (i.e. how they come about when not the spawn of other undead or the work of a necromancer) that does give you a little food for thought, though much of it is just reiterated points made in their original entries. There is also an article on the Spawn of Kyuss and a new Kyuss creature template, as well as some evil outsider summonings/bindings in the Demonomicon of Iggwilv column, though I will admit I need to do more than skim these to get a good feel for them.

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2005 :  03:29:09  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Whats going to be in 337?

Any FR stuff?

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2005 :  03:35:46  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Unfortunately no . . . Zuggtmoy in the Demonomicon, an Eberron article on a secret society, "mind" themed monsters, and the Ecology of the Shadar-Kai . . .
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2005 :  03:43:05  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

Unfortunately no . . . Zuggtmoy in the Demonomicon, an Eberron article on a secret society, "mind" themed monsters, and the Ecology of the Shadar-Kai . . .

Watch out Erik your loosing my money again

Then again its just as well Im going to be spending enough money in the October/November period

Champions of Valour FR source book
Revenge of the Sith Dvd
At least 2 cases of Underdark D&D minis
Star Wars: The New essentials Chronology
Dark Lord: Rise of Darth vader novel
Promise of the Witch King.....

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2005 :  03:52:05  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to admit, I've been campaigning for people to look into Dragon again and definately telling Erik that he needs to support FR, and to play devil's advocate, his ideas may take some time to implement, but yes, next issues seems sigularly unimpressive from my point of view.

Zuggtmoy, unlike Orcus or Graz'zt, doesn't seem to be a demon lord (lady?) that has much use in the Realms. Certain characters just seem VERY tied to Greyhawk, and even though Graz'zt is Iuz's father, he seems more diversified than, for example Zuggtmoy. Eberron . . . well, I'm still not really getting into the mindset there, though I have tried to at least read the articles . . . and am I the only one that saw the Shadar-kai entry when it first came out and said . . . "the point here is?"

So no, next issue not looking too promising. Maybe the Bazaar of the Bizare will make it all worth while, but I doubt it.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6647 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2005 :  04:54:56  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My selection process is simple: no FR content, no outlay of dinero. I know that I am likely in a minority of one when it comes to this but I've got better things to spend my money on than a magazine full of articles that I'll never use. Any FR article, no matter how bad, will be used - at the very least as part of a set of resources.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2005 :  04:58:06  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

My selection process is simple: no FR content, no outlay of dinero. I know that I am likely in a minority of one when it comes to this but I've got better things to spend my money on than a magazine full of articles that I'll never use. Any FR article, no matter how bad, will be used - at the very least as part of a set of resources.

-- George Krashos

Well at least its not a minority of 1 George, my Dragon and Dungeon buying habits mirror yours

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2005 :  05:14:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Watch out Erik your loosing my money again
And mine as well it would seem . Krash pretty much said how I feel now when it comes to both DRAGON and DUNGEON content -- "no FR content, no outlay of dinero."

That would make a great sig!

quote:
Then again its just as well Im going to be spending enough money in the October/November period

Champions of Valour FR source book
Revenge of the Sith Dvd
At least 2 cases of Underdark D&D minis
Star Wars: The New essentials Chronology
Dark Lord: Rise of Darth vader novel
Promise of the Witch King.....

'Tis the same for me as well, only with a few additions.

4 cases of UD minis, SW Battlefront II, and the SW Chronicles: The Prequels.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 13 Sep 2005 05:41:24
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2005 :  05:19:55  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Damn I forgot the Games

Add the following to the list

SW Battlefront 2
Civilization 4
Rome Total War: Barbarian Invasion

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2005 :  06:03:58  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Civilization 4? But I've just managed to get the last expansion for Civ3 Ah well, I probably wouldn't be able to play it on this computer anyway. *sighs*

And add one more to the "No FR content, no dinero outlay" gang. Guess that means I can get myself some more miniatures perhaps

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

EvilKnight
Learned Scribe

USA
162 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2005 :  15:38:31  Show Profile  Visit EvilKnight's Homepage Send EvilKnight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm disappointed. I got a subscripton to Dragon in anticipation of some regular FR content. Maybe I should send a letter and cancel the subscription.

EvilKnight
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2005 :  16:30:52  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wouldn't cancel it EvilKnight, or anyone else. Erik is thinking of making a monthly FR presense in the magazine, where at least one article each month is Forgotten Realms. Rather than cancel, I would get ahold of him and e-mail him to tell him that you might not resubscribe if this doesn't come about.

As for the rest of you that follow "no FR, no love" I can appreciate that. All I would ask is that perhaps you drop Erik a line to let him know how you feel. I am rather passionate that the Forgotten Realms are one of the cornerstone items that made Dragon Magazine, and they should be handled as such.

If you need to know the right e-mail addresses and such, just go to Paizo.com and you can either e-mail the magazine or Erik directly. Hey, every once in a while he personally writes back too, so have at it.
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2005 :  00:54:47  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Damn I forgot the Games

SW Battlefront 2
Civilization 4

Well, at least you remembered BF2 - I was going to say, if you're going to buy RotS, you have to buy BF2!! there goes $70 on November 1st! :)

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2005 :  03:23:41  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like the regular features too much to cancel my subscription. I like the development of the classes and the random articles concerning magic items/ecologies et al.

It's still a good mag, plus it has neat articles that remind me of the Jedi Counseling web articles in each issue that make it worth having, at least in my eyes.

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2005 :  11:11:28  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CrennenFaerieBane

quote:

Damn I forgot the Games

SW Battlefront 2
Civilization 4

Well, at least you remembered BF2 - I was going to say, if you're going to buy RotS, you have to buy BF2!! there goes $70 on November 1st! :)

C-Fb

Then of cause theres the AT AT from the SWM line that also comes out in November!

Glad Ive got a birthday in October

Im going to be hoping for cash!

Emperor Sigismund

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2005 :  14:48:11  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah... my wife allows me a book/gaming allowance every month - it's a faily decent amount. She is actually the Battlefront master, not I.

As for Dragon - mine will probably come way after every else's as usual. Bah! I like the magazine, but the shipping could be improved a bit!

C-Fb

Go to Top of Page

Kes_Alanadel
Learned Scribe

USA
326 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2005 :  15:00:55  Show Profile  Visit Kes_Alanadel's Homepage Send Kes_Alanadel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CrennenFaerieBane

Yeah... my wife allows me a book/gaming allowance every month - it's a faily decent amount. She is actually the Battlefront master, not I.

As for Dragon - mine will probably come way after every else's as usual. Bah! I like the magazine, but the shipping could be improved a bit!

C-Fb

Well, we only recieved ours yesterday. Tifus was having a hard time deciding whether to read the mag, or watch the season premiers of his TV shows......like "House".
~Kes

Ack! I seem to have too much blood in my coffee stream!

When did 'common sense' cease to be common?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000