Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Novels in the Sword Coast?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lucius
Seeker

98 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2005 :  19:19:18  Show Profile  Visit Lucius's Homepage Send Lucius a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Other than the Baldur's Gate novel, are there any others set in the Sword Coast? Forgive my ignorance, but I've only currently read 4 Realms novels (Best Of, Elf Shadow, and the first two parts of the Dark Elf Trilogy) and after finishing Sojourn, I'm going to need another Realms book. I feel I know the SC best compared to the rest of the Realms, due to my affinity with BG, and wouldn't mind reading something similar.
Obviously, I'd read the BG novel, but having heard such bad press, I may leave it till later.

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2005 :  22:27:54  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lucius

Other than the Baldur's Gate novel, are there any others set in the Sword Coast? Forgive my ignorance, but I've only currently read 4 Realms novels (Best Of, Elf Shadow, and the first two parts of the Dark Elf Trilogy) and after finishing Sojourn, I'm going to need another Realms book. I feel I know the SC best compared to the rest of the Realms, due to my affinity with BG, and wouldn't mind reading something similar.
Obviously, I'd read the BG novel, but having heard such bad press, I may leave it till later.

I'd say a blessed majority of the novels take place within three days' ride of the Sword Coast, and that's counting every novel going back to 1987.... The bulk of the novels take place among the Heartlands, which depending on the topic and author, could loosely fall within the Sword Coast lands.

Every book on or near Waterdeep is Sword Coast; thus, nearly every Elaine Cunningham non-drow book is a Sword Coast book (ranging from north of Luskan to Tethyr), for example.

If it doesn't have a place name in the title that ties it to Cormyr or Thay or other places, there's a 60-40% chance the book could lie near the Sword Coast.

Steven
Who's cleaning out email and boards for the weekend, as he'll be out of touch...

PS: If you're looking for a Sword Coast recommendation, run (don't walk) to your book store and find yourself a copy of ELFSHADOW. Until the new Ed/Elaine novel comes out, this is still one of the definitive forays into Waterdeep. And it's a blessed-good read too.

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com

Edited by - Steven Schend on 05 Aug 2005 22:30:23
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2005 :  23:09:58  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Icewind Dale trilogy takes place in the Sword Coast. Starts from Icewind Dale and goes all the way to Calimport.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2005 :  23:55:46  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend
Every book on or near Waterdeep is Sword Coast; thus, nearly every Elaine Cunningham non-drow book is a Sword Coast book (ranging from north of Luskan to Tethyr), for example.
::snip::
PS: If you're looking for a Sword Coast recommendation, run (don't walk) to your book store and find yourself a copy of ELFSHADOW. Until the new Ed/Elaine novel comes out, this is still one of the definitive forays into Waterdeep. And it's a blessed-good read too.

Thanks, Steven. Your commission check is in the mail.

One correction, if I may. Elfshadow has a few scenes in Waterdeep, but the sequel, Elfsong, shows far more of the city. I suspect that's the one you had in mind.

More Waterdeep books: Dream Spheres is set almost entirely in Waterdeep, and Thornhold takes place mostly in Waterdeep and points north. Going way back, there's the third book of the Avatar trilogy, Waterdeep.

DDH already mentioned the Icewind Dale trilogy by R.A. Salvatore. Quite of bit of Mel Odom's Threat from the Sea trilogy deals with the Sword Coast. If you are interested in Tethyr, there are two books: Simon Hawk's War in Tethyr and my Silver Shadows. There's an out of print book set in the Jungle of Chult: Ring of Winter, by James D. Lowder. There's very little fiction set in Amn. I believe the first book of Doug Nile's Maztica trilogy starts out there. Tangled Webs, the middle book of my Starlight & Shadows trilogy, has several scenes in Luskan, and deals with some of the perennial Sword Coast issues, such as the rivalry between Waterdeep and Luskan, and between Luskan and Ruathym. Most of this book, however, is set on Ruathym, a island quite a ways off the coast, so this might not be what you're looking for.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2005 :  01:16:05  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met, Lucius!

When you say "the Sword Coast", do you mean the Sword Coast North, the SC South, or somewhere in the middle? It's a rather long strip of land. BG takes place more toward the south than the north.

All of the novels mentioned are excellent, though. I heartily recommend Elaine's work.

I don't think the bad press on BG is at all justified. If you're expecting it to be like the game, you might be disappointed, but I know I found it entertaining and readable.

Can't say I know of Amn being explored much either. BG2: Shadows of Amn takes place at least largely in Amn, but then you probably knew that already. . . :)

Cheers

(P.S. Commission check? tee hee :p )

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2005 :  01:57:41  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham
One correction, if I may. Elfshadow has a few scenes in Waterdeep, but the sequel, Elfsong, shows far more of the city. I suspect that's the one you had in mind.

(sigh) Ms. Cunningham, don't even tempt me with talks of Elfsong! Lol. You do not know how long and hard I've been looking for that novel. It's nearly impossible to find here in Canada at the major bookstores, and I don't even know why. I've seen your other books here but never Elfsong. It was only last month that I finally found ONE copy of Dream Spheres after a long time of searching.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2005 :  02:46:39  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101
(sigh) Ms. Cunningham, don't even tempt me with talks of Elfsong! Lol. You do not know how long and hard I've been looking for that novel. It's nearly impossible to find here in Canada at the major bookstores, and I don't even know why. I've seen your other books here but never Elfsong. It was only last month that I finally found ONE copy of Dream Spheres after a long time of searching.

Well, this could be easily resolved. I have at least a dozen copies of ELFSONG in my basement and would love to find good homes for them. :) For more info, here's a link to one of the sub-pages in my FAQ section:

http://www.elainecunningham.com/signed_books.htm

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 06 Aug 2005 02:55:57
Go to Top of Page

Lucius
Seeker

98 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2005 :  10:34:59  Show Profile  Visit Lucius's Homepage Send Lucius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First of all, thank you for all the replies. The amount of knowledge here can be quite overwhelming, in a good way. It's especially cool to have a reply from one of the authors of some of the few Realms novels I've read. Thank you Ms Cunningham, and everyone else who replied!

To be more specific, I'm interested in the Sword Coast south (being the area of the Realms I know the best) but any nearby locations are of interest. For example the Field of the Dead, or anywhere near to Baldur's Gate.

Again, thank you for the quick replies.
Go to Top of Page

Pipers Youth
Acolyte

11 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2005 :  19:50:30  Show Profile  Visit Pipers Youth's Homepage Send Pipers Youth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, having books sent to your house to sign must keep you humble Ms. Cunningham. I would love to have my copy of Daughter of the Drow signed. I would hang it in a glass case above my bookshelf. I hope that doesn't make me some kind of weirdo...

Then again, I would gladly follow you into a volcano.

Sincerely,
Jason

"I...I truly wish Vangerdahast was still irritating half of Cormyr by running things in his usual capable fashion. He'd handle things so much better than I do."

-Caladnei, Mage Royal

Edited by - Pipers Youth on 07 Aug 2005 19:54:15
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2005 :  20:11:17  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pipers Youth

Wow, having books sent to your house to sign must keep you humble Ms. Cunningham.

For good or ill, ego has never been an issue for me. I get enough feedback from a) mirrors, b) teenage children, and c) royalty statements to ensure humility.

quote:
Then again, I would gladly follow you into a volcano.

Heh. I caught the reference to the City of Splendors prelude. But if IRL you ever happen to see me walking into a volcano, you can be fairly certain that I'm sleepwalking, in which case I would be obliged if you'd wake me up. I know they say you shouldn't do that to a sleepwalker, but it strikes me as the preferable of the two options.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2005 :  20:32:54  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

But if IRL you ever happen to see me walking into a volcano, you can be fairly certain that I'm sleepwalking, in which case I would be obliged if you'd wake me up. I know they say you shouldn't do that to a sleepwalker, but it strikes me as the preferable of the two options.

EC vs. volcano?

Look out, Mother Nature!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Pipers Youth
Acolyte

11 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2005 :  22:43:20  Show Profile  Visit Pipers Youth's Homepage Send Pipers Youth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Such a vivid memory Ms. Cuninngham! Though I had no doubt you would place the reference to your and Ed's novel. And of course I would give you a head's up right before you plunged into a fiery demise. Though if you kept walking... well, I did my best. It would be a happy death though.

“My Lord Piergeiron,EMrelder breathed, awed to find himself in the presence of the Open Lord of Waterdeep.

Piergeiron clapped him on the shoulder in a soldier’s thanks to a battle-comrade. Drawing a long dagger, he pressed it into Mrelder’s hand.

“Well met, lad. That board of yours is not good for much more fighting; take this.EThe lord grinned. “If you’re so minded, there’s work yet for us all.E

If? At that moment, Mrelder would cheerfully have followed Waterdeep’s Lord into a volcano!

-From the Novel Waterdeep, City of Spelndors

"I...I truly wish Vangerdahast was still irritating half of Cormyr by running things in his usual capable fashion. He'd handle things so much better than I do."

-Caladnei, Mage Royal

Edited by - Pipers Youth on 08 Aug 2005 22:46:11
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000