Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Realms Events
 Current/Recent Wars
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Paec_djinn
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2005 :  16:42:45  Show Profile  Visit Paec_djinn's Homepage Send Paec_djinn a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I am interested in places which are warring within the Realms recently (as of 1370 DR and beyond). I do not possess sourcebooks and my only sources are from the internet and novels so I would appreciate any kind help.

I also would appreciate it if any of you could stay away from spoilers to The Two Swords, the final two WotSQ books, and Farthest Reach. Thanks.

[SPOILERS AHEAD]

So far I know of:

1. Obould Many Arrows v.s Mithral Hall dwarves.
Mithril Hall (1370- DR)

Important Battles:
-Battle at Shallows
-Battle at and before Keeper's Dale

Conclusion: [As of the Lone Drow]After the battle before Keeper's Dale, the dwarves are pushed into Mithral Hall.
[Please do not spoil me on what will happen in The Two Swords]

2. Cult of the Dragon v.s Impiltur and Damara.
Impiltur (1373) Border of Vaasa and Damara (1373-)

Important Battles:
-Battle near Lyrabar (with Taegan. I've forgotten the exact location)
-Siege of the Monastery of the Yellow Rose

Conclusion: [As of pg. 200 The Rite]The Cult of the Dragon stronghold west of Lyrabar is defeated and Sammaster moves to Damara where he attacks the Monastery of the Yellow Rose.

3. House Dlardrageth v.s Silver Marches and Elves of High Forest and Evereska.
High Forest and Evereska(1374) Myth Drannor (1374-)

Important Battles:
-Battle of the Lonely Moors.

Conclusion: [As of Forsaken House]House Dlardrageth is defeated at the Battle of the Lonely Moors. Sarya orders a relocation to Myth Drannor
[Please do not spoil me on what will happen in Farthest Reach]

4. Menzoberranzan/Ched Nassad v.s Jaezred Chaulssin.
Menzoberranzan (Date unknown) Ched Nassad (date unknown)

Important Battles:
-Slave Uprising in Menzoberranzan
-Duergar and Lesser Houses in Ched Nassad
-Duergar and Kaanyr Vhok's Attack on Menzoberranzan

Conclusion: [As of Extinction]The Duergar and Kaanyr Vhok's army is stalled from conquering Menzoberranzan. The battle still rages on although Nimor Imphraezl has been trapped in the Shadow Plane.
[Please do not spoil me on what will happen in Annihilation and Ressurection]

5. Phaerimm v.s Elves of Evereska v.s Shade Enclave
Evereska(1371-1372) Cormyr (1372)

Important Battles:
-Phaerimm siege of Evereska
-Shade attack on Tilverton

Conclusion: Shade Enclave returns above Anauroch, Tilverton is destroyed, and the phaerimm are defeated- their numbers greatly reduced.

6. Ghazneths, Nalavarauthatoryl and Minions v.s Kingdom of Cormyr
Cormyr (137? DR)
[I haven't read Death of the Dragon and I don't think I'll intend to do so, I wouldn't mind if anyone spoils me on details of this. Like the factions involved and such]

7. War in Chondath which is slowly erupting
Chondath (137? DR)
[I haven't read the Scions trilogy and I don't think I'll intend to do so, I wouldn't mind if anyone spoils me on details of this. Like the factions involved and such]

8. War in Threat from the Sea trilogy
Sea of Fallen Stars (137?)
[I haven't read the Threat from the Sea trilogy and I don't think I'll intend to do so, I wouldn't mind if anyone spoils me on details of this. Like the factions involved and such]

Important Battles:
Battle at Myth Nantar.

9. Ogre Mages vs. Temple of Cyric
Southern Amn (1370 DR)
[I would require more details on this]

10. Manshoon Clones v.s Manshoon Clones (The Manshoon Wars)
Faerun (1370 DR)

12. Reclamation Wars
Tethyr (13??-1369 DR)

13. Sembia & Hillsfar against Elves of Tangled Trees
Tangled Trees (1372 DR)

Conclusion: The war never actually got started though there were a few ambushes along the Rauthavyr Road. Larajin and her twin managed to convince both sides to stop the war.

Edited by - Paec_djinn on 15 Jul 2005 12:41:51

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2005 :  16:47:09  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't forget the war in Cormyr featured in Death of the Dragon.
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2005 :  21:11:15  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
War is also erupting in Scions of Arrabar in Chondath.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2005 :  23:29:42  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In 1372 DR Sembia & Hillsfar war against the elves of the Tangled Trees in southeast Cormanthor. This is detailed in the novel Heirs of Prophecy, part of the Sembia series.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2005 :  01:14:04  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps you would like to add the battles that were fought underwater as well, such as the events that occured in the Threat from the Sea trilogy where an important battle was waged at Myth Nantar.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2005 :  03:20:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
- During 1370 DR in southern Amn, ogre mages and their allies war with the temple of Cyric.

- The Manshoon Wars, again in 1370 DR.

- Although they end in 1369 DR, the Reclamation Wars of Tethyr are an important addition to the listing for this period.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2005 :  06:03:55  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

- During 1370 DR in southern Amn, ogre mages and their allies war with the temple of Cyric.

- The Manshoon Wars, again in 1370 DR.

- Although they end in 1369 DR, the Reclamation Wars of Tethyr are an important addition to the listing for this period.

Pardon my asking, The Sage, what were the ogre mages and their allies fightin with the Cyricists for what goal?

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2005 :  06:13:50  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't recall if any reason than the one numbered as no3 here has been established (and I won't swear that's not a product of my over-heated mind too), but here's a few possibilities:

1) They don't like each other

2) The Cyricist's main source of income is ambushing caravans moving between Amn and Tethyr, something that will have been affected, badly, by the Sythilissian (spelling?) Empire having risen smack down in the middle of that rout.

3) (The most likely) The ogre-mages are in fact allied with one branch of the church of Cyric, that branch is not on good terms with the Cyricists following Blackwill Akhmelere.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2005 :  06:18:40  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the alliance between the ogre mages and the Cyricists was mentioned in LoD.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2005 :  06:51:20  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

I can't recall if any reason than the one numbered as no3 here has been established (and I won't swear that's not a product of my over-heated mind too), but here's a few possibilities:

1) They don't like each other

2) The Cyricist's main source of income is ambushing caravans moving between Amn and Tethyr, something that will have been affected, badly, by the Sythilissian (spelling?) Empire having risen smack down in the middle of that rout.

3) (The most likely) The ogre-mages are in fact allied with one branch of the church of Cyric, that branch is not on good terms with the Cyricists following Blackwill Akhmelere.

I understand now, thanks, Kajehase.

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2005 :  08:50:50  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Excellent, Paec_djinn. Great idea to collate this list of events I have made this topic sticky as I believe it to be a good resource for all.

Paec_djinn, if ye could update the original post with any other updates from other scribes, then that would be splendid

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Paec_djinn
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2005 :  09:47:00  Show Profile  Visit Paec_djinn's Homepage Send Paec_djinn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the quick replies. I never expected this much.

I've already editted in and I'm looking for details on the wars the scribes above me have mentioned. Please pay attention on where there are spoilers to me. Feel free to point out my mistakes as well and make your own additions should you feel it's neccesary.

Edited by - Paec_djinn on 15 Jul 2005 10:17:38
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2005 :  11:25:45  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For the reclamation wars, the best source would be Lands of Intrigue, which was still available as a free pdf-download at the WoTC-site last time I checked.

As for no 13, there were a few ambushes along Rauthavyr's road I think.

Since Death of the Dragon has been out so long I don't think it's too much of a spoiler to anyone, to mention that it was fought between Cormyr and monstrous forces (mostly goblins and orcs) under the leadership of the ghazneths (sp?) and the Extremely Ancien and Venerable Old Wyrm/Elf Nalavarauthatoryl.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Kajehase on 15 Jul 2005 11:27:51
Go to Top of Page

Smyther
Learned Scribe

Canada
121 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2005 :  18:14:22  Show Profile  Visit Smyther's Homepage Send Smyther a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In southern Amn, there have been several important battles involving the Sythillisian Empire and the forces of Amn.
The first major event is in Tarsakh of 1370, with an alliance between Sythillis, Cyrvisnea, and the Cyricists of the Twin Towers of the Eternal Eclipse (considers the Cyricists of the Mountain of Skulls and the Dark Redoubt to be heretical, and three-way-vise-versa). They put their priests at the disposal of the ogre mages, confident that their priests can be taken back to strike the Empire from within when the time comes or if the army fails. They do this in return for promised aid in an assault against the Mountain of Skulls.
After this, there are general assaults on all of southern Amn.
During Eleasis of 1370, the Sythillisian Empire assaults (and ransacks) Esmeltaran, Hillfort Ishla, and Gambiton and the King's Arch. The army of Amn manages to rally and successfully defend Hillforts Keshla and Torbold in some major skirmishes over the next few tendays. The Amnian army tries to retake Esmeltaran, but the entrenched invaders repel them, forcing the situation to a siege.
The primary goal of the Sythillisian Empire is achieved in the siege of Murann. Though they had advance warning of the assault and managed to evacuate many civilians by sea, the loss of life is still incredible, and a member of the Council of Six is trapped in the ruins. Further escape of trapped refugees is blocked off by the pirate band 'The Black Alaric,' who have a temporary alliance with the Empire. A civilian army assaults the siege army outside Murann, resulting in great casualties, but in the process nearly eliminating the kobolds of the enemy army and learning that Cyricists are involved in the battle.
The forces of Amn retreat in Eleint to regroup and formulate new assault plans, but everything seems to come to a standstill. There are a few more minor battles throughout the rest of the year, but otherwise there is an uneasy truce whilst both sides build up strength.

This is all from Lands of Intrigue, accurate as of 1370 for when the campaign is supposed to take place, right at the height of the war. I don't know if the rest of the war is detailed in any other supplements, but I'd be VERY interested in knowing what happens if it is.

So sayeth the Smyther, the Dark Bard of Amn.
Go to Top of Page

Mr. Wilson
Seeker

USA
73 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2005 :  15:20:17  Show Profile  Visit Mr. Wilson's Homepage Send Mr. Wilson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't believe the war in Amn has been updated post LoI. Which is really to bad.

"I've got a plan..."- Dan
"Nothing good has ever come after those four words." - Jesse
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 06 Oct 2005 :  18:38:15  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Wilson

I don't believe the war in Amn has been updated post LoI. Which is really to bad.

Exactly. I want to know if Athkatla was sacked.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2005 :  22:09:01  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello-

I was just reading through WOTC's Perilous Gateways detailing some portals across the realms.

One entitled Portals Under the Black Gauntlet gives some information about forces of Bane taking control of the city of Mintar on the NE shores of the Lake of Steam in 1362 DR. It goes on to say that they turned their attention to an inland town, Kzelter and took that over also (in 1369 DR).

I have not heard specifically any more about this - so possibly there has been additional organization of the underground attempting to re-gain control of Mintar from the Banites, and possibly they have assistance from some other source now. In any case - its quite possible that this is still teh situation in 1370 DR+.

Dhomal

I am collecting the D&D Minis. I would be more than willing to trade with people. You can send me a PM here with your email listed - and I can send you my minis list. Thanks!

Successfully traded with Xysma!
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2005 :  02:06:24  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by khorne

It wasn't and hasn't been. Only the Lake Esmel region and the parts of Amn immediately north of the Wealdath and below the Small Teeth (such as Murann and its environs) have been affeceted by the Sythillians. Look at the back cover of the LOI - Amn book for an indication of who controls what.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2005 :  03:49:12  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A rather large bearded bird hath told me the war in Amn WILL be updated in an upcoming Realms product.
Ask me no more on this.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2005 :  03:52:08  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
She just loves doing that . . . drive by teasing . . .
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2005 :  04:40:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

. . . drive by teasing . . .

I could see that quickly becoming an "unofficial" addition to THO's custom title here at Candlekeep... .

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2005 :  06:57:32  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
She's got guts, that's for sure. I didn't quite have the nerve to come out and say it like she did. Yep, the situation in Amn is getting an update. Boy, am I glad to get that off my puny chest.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2005 :  11:41:47  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

She's got guts, that's for sure. I didn't quite have the nerve to come out and say it like she did. Yep, the situation in Amn is getting an update. Boy, am I glad to get that off my puny chest.

-- George Krashos

We'd rather have it off of her chest, anyway. No offense, Krash, but I'm thinking her chest is likely more picturesque than yours.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2005 :  15:05:11  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

-- George Krashos

We'd rather have it off of her chest, anyway. No offense, Krash, but I'm thinking her chest is likely more picturesque than yours.

Let me get my digital camera ready... .

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2005 :  17:13:48  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Ahem! It's all very interesting (verrrrrry interesting ), but, about these wars.....

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2005 :  22:25:30  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by khorne

It wasn't and hasn't been. Only the Lake Esmel region and the parts of Amn immediately north of the Wealdath and below the Small Teeth (such as Murann and its environs) have been affeceted by the Sythillians. Look at the back cover of the LOI - Amn book for an indication of who controls what.

-- George Krashos

I think you are forgetting the fact that LOI occurs in 1370 , and the current year is 1373-1374. So we don`t know who is holding what currently........

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2005 :  03:52:44  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2005 :  04:06:24  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And here we all thought THO was the worst tease at Candlekeep!

Go to Top of Page

Chataro
Learned Scribe

Singapore
114 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2006 :  15:25:27  Show Profile  Visit Chataro's Homepage Send Chataro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
With so many war going on, its a miracle faerun can still survive, especially since the Tot just passed with so many dead. Is there a war of evermeet?
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2006 :  00:51:17  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chataro

With so many war going on, its a miracle faerun can still survive, especially since the Tot just passed with so many dead. Is there a war of evermeet?

Check the local bookstores for the novel Evermeet: Island of Elves by Elaine Cunningham, the book details the war of Evermeet, two-three years before the war of Evereska.

Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2006 :  04:43:36  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chataro

Depending on your own FR campaign timeline, the ToT was in 1358, It is now 1370's. There has been a lot going on though, keeps things interesting. there has been several wars happening or has happened since the ToT, but globally it probably is not all that large. It would be interesting just to see how many major conflicts have occurred since the ToT with an approx. body count. I think the elves have taken the brunt of things though, at least with the "goodly" races.

Edited by - scererar on 21 Mar 2006 04:45:58
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000