Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 dadaa
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ode904
Learned Scribe

Finland
193 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2005 :  22:01:40  Show Profile Send ode904 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
a

Edited by - ode904 on 05 Nov 2015 18:35:48

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2005 :  22:18:55  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, you are really lucky ones!!!

Here in Brazil, we have (sounds of drums in the background):

Icewind Dale Trilogy 01 - The Cristal Shard.

Sole and only!

This is a real Vile Darkness work...

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2005 :  22:47:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think we Americans forget how lucky we are to have all of this stuff published in our native tongue, right off the bat.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2005 :  01:14:29  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This situation is much worse in my country, acquisition of some of the latest novels take at least a few years to arrive, and made worse with the scarcity of FR campaign accessories which seemed more like a very rare treasure that is so hard to find.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2005 :  01:34:00  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I think we Americans forget how lucky we are to have all of this stuff published in our native tongue, right off the bat.

As do some of us in Australia.

On the other hand though, I'm noticing with increasing frequency, a number of past FR novels being published that are in foreign languages.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Eronthar Elvenkin
Acolyte

Turkey
11 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2005 :  09:02:36  Show Profile  Visit Eronthar Elvenkin's Homepage Send Eronthar Elvenkin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In here you can find any novel in Turkish or in English.

As full series in Turkish; Starlight and Shadows, Kings and Councelors, Icewindale, Darkelf, Avatar trio and Prince of Lies

Tornhold was published last month. I don't interested in Drizzt so i can't surely tell which books has been published. (I mean i don't know exact names, but too many drizzt books on the shelves) So books about Elminister etc. etc.

Sorry for this absurd knowledge, but only follow Cunningham and Weis & Hickman novels. And given novels are what i've been read. But one thing for sure so many publishers in the area who prints the FR novels. Maybe Anthor will be succeed where i fail and give you a better list of printed books.

Freedom Prevails...
Go to Top of Page

Snotlord
Senior Scribe

Norway
476 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2005 :  09:09:10  Show Profile  Visit Snotlord's Homepage Send Snotlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In Norway we can get most recent FR books through the local gaming/comics distributors, and amazon.uk is fairly well stocked. The local shops are pricey, but then again everything is around here.

A couple of Ed Greenwood books has even crept into mainstream book distribution channels, which is a good omen for Forgotten Realms and fantasy in general.

I got LEOF at about the same time as the aussies, so I have no complains.

No FR books are translated to norwegian.

Edited by - Snotlord on 06 Jul 2005 09:23:28
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2005 :  17:31:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ode904

HERE IN FINLAND WE HAVE NOW 24 FG-BOOKS.

Putting on my "clueless American" hat for a moment... What is FG?

Go to Top of Page

Jindael
Senior Scribe

USA
357 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2005 :  17:36:16  Show Profile  Visit Jindael's Homepage Send Jindael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

HERE IN FINLAND WE HAVE NOW 24 FG-BOOKS.

Putting on my "clueless American" hat for a moment... What is FG?

I believe he means "FR". Maybe when you translate "Forgotten Realms" into Finnish, the initials are FG?

"You don't have a Soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
-- C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

Anthor The Unforgiver
Acolyte

Turkey
15 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2005 :  19:01:06  Show Profile  Visit Anthor The Unforgiver's Homepage Send Anthor The Unforgiver a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eronthar Elvenkin

In here you can find any novel in Turkish or in English.

As full series in Turkish; Starlight and Shadows, Kings and Councelors, Icewindale, Darkelf, Avatar trio and Prince of Lies

Tornhold was published last month. I don't interested in Drizzt so i can't surely tell which books has been published. (I mean i don't know exact names, but too many drizzt books on the shelves) So books about Elminister etc. etc.

Sorry for this absurd knowledge, but only follow Cunningham and Weis & Hickman novels. And given novels are what i've been read. But one thing for sure so many publishers in the area who prints the FR novels. Maybe Anthor will be succeed where i fail and give you a better list of printed books.

The first book of war of the spider queen: dissolution, the four legacy of the drow book were published, starless night are also published.
The First three books about Elminster are published. The first 2 books of paths of darkness are also publęshed.

The gods may forgive you,
BUT I WON`T

My name is Anthoriavalas, but people call me Anthor.

Edited by - Anthor The Unforgiver on 06 Jul 2005 20:57:27
Go to Top of Page

Snotlord
Senior Scribe

Norway
476 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2005 :  20:29:05  Show Profile  Visit Snotlord's Homepage Send Snotlord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Putting on my "clueless American" hat for a moment...

In my experience americans has lots of clues.

Edited by - Snotlord on 07 Jul 2005 06:17:42
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2005 :  23:21:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

But dont expect something especially good english from me, i'm 16 and finnish..

No worries. A lot of Americans aren't so hot at speaking English, even though it's their native tongue.

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2005 :  05:53:58  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

No worries. A lot of Americans aren't so hot at speaking English, even though it's their native tongue.

Yes, I've noticed most of you can't even spell words like favour or centre properly

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2005 :  11:35:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

quote:

quote:

Yes, I've noticed most of you can't even spell words like favour or centre properly

Oh no. We spell them correctly. It's everyone else that spells them weird.

Go to Top of Page

Xaean
Acolyte

Austria
8 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2005 :  01:55:49  Show Profile  Visit Xaean's Homepage Send Xaean a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I haven't counted them, but as far as I know there's the Drizzt, Cadderly series and the Halruaa and Avatar trilogies.

By Moradin's beard!
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2005 :  13:07:08  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I know this is only a small part of the story, but there's a list of translations for my books on the Bookshelf page of my author website,
www.elainecunningham.com. Several of the publishers are listed on the Links page. If you're looking for books in your language, you might want to visit the publisher's website to check for upcoming translations of Forgotten Realms books.

My website may not include ALL the publishers who've purchased translation rights; for years, it was almost impossible to get this info from TSR/Wot, and there might be translations of which I'm not aware. If you know of books in your language that are not listed here, I'd love to hear from you!

Some of the publishers have been terrific. The Polish publisher, ISA, always emails when something new is coming out, and then sends me copies of the Polish translations. The publisher in Turkey requested a forward to Counselors & Kings. Apparently fantasy novels are widely regarded as "children's stories" in Turkey, and he wanted me to address this question. I thought this was a great idea, and would love to see more publishers getting authors involved in some small way with the translations of their books. :)

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2005 :  16:14:14  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ehh, Elaine, just wanted to tell that your bookshelf really needs some updates(these are only finnish, I think there can be errors in other languages as well): the whole series of Starlight & Shadows and Songs&Swords are in finnish like I said before.
They are all published by Jalava Kustannus I think..

Yeah, it does need updating, and since it was pieced together bit by bit, it probably does have some significant gaps.

When my schedule clears up a bit, I'll work on updating the translation lists and the publisher links. It would probably also be good to find out which of the translations might be out of print, and which foreign-rights publishers are no longer in business.

Thanks for the info! These days WotC is giving better, more detailed information on foreign rights sales than they did in years past, but the royalty statements merely indicate sale of translation rights. There's no information on when the books will actually be published. It's good to know that these books are now on the shelves in Finland.

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 08 Jul 2005 16:19:03
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2005 :  11:39:07  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

That's not a conundrum.
FR=Forgotten Realms
Just want to shorten sometimes..

And: the topic line is so short that i had to shorten it!
And: Sorry guys that was a mistake. It have to be FR...

I`m 17 and finlandsvensk(I STILL haven`t found a proper english word to describe the term!) so it`s my finnish that`s pretty miserable. Ican talk finnish, but spell it? not a chanse. Luckily for me, I`m fluent in english

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Lameth
Learned Scribe

Germany
196 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2005 :  13:14:50  Show Profile  Visit Lameth's Homepage Send Lameth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Xaean

I haven't counted them, but as far as I know there's the Drizzt, Cadderly series and the Halruaa and Avatar trilogies.

And the Elminster Series.
There are 39 books in german.

Edited by - Lameth on 10 Jul 2005 13:19:45
Go to Top of Page

Jemima Aslana
Acolyte

4 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2005 :  00:02:20  Show Profile  Visit Jemima Aslana's Homepage Send Jemima Aslana a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm lessee

In Danish we have only bad translations of FR books. 'Tis a pity.

We have the Avatar Trilogy (not the two additional books about Cyric) It has been expanded into 6 books instead of 3.

Same thing with the Moonshae Trilogy - 6 books instead of 3.

I've only seen the first two books of Shandril Shessair's Saga (Spellfire for those of you who aren't aware)

The first of the Elminster books have been translated as well, I've seen Making of a Mage and Cormanthor in Danish, but not the others.

That's 10 books that I know have been translated, admitting that I'm probably not aware of them all add possibly 6 or 7 to that. And that's what we have in DK.

Ever since I found a possibility for acquiring the books in English that's what I've done - I can't stand a bad translation of an otherwise good book - so I may not be entirely uptodate with the Danish supply, but I'm fairly certain that not even RAS' extremely popular Drizzt books have been translated. Only the older books exist in Danish - I dunno why they stopped translating - must not have been profitable enough. No wonder really, who wants to buy a book that's basically just junk? (That is what they became in Danish, I'm sorry to say)

Ia Ia Cthulhu Fthagn!
Go to Top of Page

NiTessine
Acolyte

Finland
34 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2005 :  14:15:13  Show Profile  Visit NiTessine's Homepage Send NiTessine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And the Finnish translations have become progressively worse as time has passed... The old Dark Elf and Icewind Dale trilogies were excellent translations that managed to preserve the feel of the Realms and the original stories, but some of the newer ones (among them sadly one of my favourites, Elfsong) are bordering on unreadable.

Needless to say, I read mine in English. Cheaper that way, too, and it's done wonders to my language skills.

Part of the problem is that fantasy literature still isn't taken very seriously and I think they are given to new translators to work on, and they have tight schedules that don't allow for as much research into the background material and work of previous translators of the series. This leads to annoying inconsistencies in the translations and shoddy work.

Translating fantasy is actually quite difficult, since you lack certain conventions of naming that you have in the real world. In the real world, you don't translate every foreign name to your own language. In the fantasy world, leaving English names untranslated risks breaking the suspension of disbelief. Then there's also the fact that your language just may not have enough vocabulary for things that go bump in the night for even half of the Monster Manual...

Jemima Aslana, they did that same thing in Finland, but with Tad Williams' trilogy Memory, Sorrow and Thorn. Twelve books. I do not buy from that publisher anymore.

http://nitessine.wordpress.com/
Worlds in a Handful of Dice

Edited by - NiTessine on 13 Jul 2005 14:26:45
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2005 :  17:25:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NiTessine

In the real world, you don't translate every foreign name to your own language.

Except in some anime.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000