Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Chosen in the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Bane_the_Dark_Lord
Acolyte

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2005 :  05:49:50  Show Profile  Visit Bane_the_Dark_Lord's Homepage Send Bane_the_Dark_Lord a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Ok so we are debating Chosen on another message board I'm on and the extent of Chosen throughout the Realms.

We have a dirty Mystra lover who posted this as a quote of Ed.

quote:
All deities have favoured servants, and many of them empower these mortal creatures with ‘special powers’ for short periods or indefinitely. None of them have ‘Chosen’ in quite the same way that Mystra does (mortals with some of her divine power invested in them, that she can’t reclaim or entirely control), although several deities have champions or other ‘special servants’ whom they CALL ‘Chosen.

Now we have the Chosen of Bane in the FRCS which Ed worked on. Fzoul definately has extra powers. We have The Chosen of Denier and Cadderly sure has some extra stuff.

We don't know what The Rotting Man or that Kraken, Chosen of Umberlee can do.

So what is the opinion here? Is Mystra the only one with "true" Chosen and everyone else has cheap imitations, or people they call Chosen and do nothing? Or do all Gods have Chosen and Mystra's maybe just a bit more powerful?

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2005 :  05:57:12  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The original Chosen, the Chosen of Mystra, aren't just granted power by Mystra, but actually contain a measure of her power. They are bonded to her in a special way, so that Mystra in effect has a check to her power, as some of her power is always with her Chosen. They are kind of like a touchstone to keep her grounded (if you are familiar with DC Comics, the Chosen of Mystra are kind of like the mortal contact that the Spectre had to keep him from getting too far away from his mortal life).

Other Chosen are specially favored servants that have been given special responsibilities and extra powers, but don't really have a part of their god's essese within them (in fact the closest anyone else probably got was Xvim containing Bane's essese . . . but he was a god and that was a long story).
Go to Top of Page

Bane_the_Dark_Lord
Acolyte

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2005 :  05:59:25  Show Profile  Visit Bane_the_Dark_Lord's Homepage Send Bane_the_Dark_Lord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

The original Chosen, the Chosen of Mystra, aren't just granted power by Mystra, but actually contain a measure of her power. They are bonded to her in a special way, so that Mystra in effect has a check to her power, as some of her power is always with her Chosen. They are kind of like a touchstone to keep her grounded (if you are familiar with DC Comics, the Chosen of Mystra are kind of like the mortal contact that the Spectre had to keep him from getting too far away from his mortal life).

Other Chosen are specially favored servants that have been given special responsibilities and extra powers, but don't really have a part of their god's essese within them (in fact the closest anyone else probably got was Xvim containing Bane's essese . . . but he was a god and that was a long story).

Right that was exactly as I understood it. (and I am familiar with the Spectre which I'm thanking god is not Hal Jordan anymore).

The issue was whether other Chosen would have powers, not to the extent of the Chosen of Mystra but to a lesser degree. (though the Chosen of Denier was bloody powerful)
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2005 :  06:04:55  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have you read the Erevis Cale books? My favorite non-Mystra chosen so far has to be the poor Chosen of Oghma . . . but I won't ruin it for you if you haven't read the books.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2005 :  06:42:36  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My FAQ on the WOTC boards contains all the current canon Chosen we know of. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2005 :  06:49:19  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

My 'Chosen Sense' is tingling...

Perhaps I'd better finish that FR FAQ for Candlekeep sooner rather than later ...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2005 :  07:00:05  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Perhaps I'd better finish that FR FAQ for Candlekeep sooner rather than later ...

:) Well feel free to "steal" from mine. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2005 :  07:20:30  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bane_the_Dark_Lord

Ok so we are debating Chosen on another message board I'm on and the extent of Chosen throughout the Realms.

We have a dirty Mystra lover who posted this as a quote of Ed.

quote:
All deities have favoured servants, and many of them empower these mortal creatures with ‘special powers’ for short periods or indefinitely. None of them have ‘Chosen’ in quite the same way that Mystra does (mortals with some of her divine power invested in them, that she can’t reclaim or entirely control), although several deities have champions or other ‘special servants’ whom they CALL ‘Chosen.

Now we have the Chosen of Bane in the FRCS which Ed worked on. Fzoul definately has extra powers. We have The Chosen of Denier and Cadderly sure has some extra stuff.

We don't know what The Rotting Man or that Kraken, Chosen of Umberlee can do.

So what is the opinion here? Is Mystra the only one with "true" Chosen and everyone else has cheap imitations, or people they call Chosen and do nothing? Or do all Gods have Chosen and Mystra's maybe just a bit more powerful?

Not every deity has a chosen. To become a Chosen and for a deity to make a chosen, the god needs to divert some of his divinity to the mortal in order for that person to become a chosen. Most deities have a few "favoured" followers that they grant with powers like immunity to sleep and hunger. These are just agents to do their work around the Realms but aren't like the Chosens of Mystra or Mask.

Chosens of deities tend to be created for a special task. For example, Chosens of Mystra were created to hold Mystra's powers while Chosens of Mask were created to help him take back his portfolio of Intrigue from Cyric.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2005 :  11:29:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101

Not every deity has a chosen. To become a Chosen and for a deity to make a chosen, the god needs to divert some of his divinity to the mortal in order for that person to become a chosen. Most deities have a few "favoured" followers that they grant with powers like immunity to sleep and hunger. These are just agents to do their work around the Realms but aren't like the Chosens of Mystra or Mask.

Chosens of deities tend to be created for a special task. For example, Chosens of Mystra were created to hold Mystra's powers while Chosens of Mask were created to help him take back his portfolio of Intrigue from Cyric.

This is the ticket. Mystra's Chosen are, in my opinion, the only true Chosen. They contain a significant amount of Mystra's own essence.

Other so-called Chosen, while they are the favored of their deity and have nifty, deity-granted abilities, do not contain that divine essence. Thus, they are not true Chosen. They should be called "Favored" or "Champion" or something like that.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2005 :  14:42:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

:) Well feel free to "steal" from mine. :)

Hehe... I have to some degree. However I've elaborated on some questions, especially those that have been *known* to cause contention in the past.

Edited by - The Sage on 01 Jul 2005 14:44:48
Go to Top of Page

Lashan
Learned Scribe

USA
235 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2005 :  14:58:54  Show Profile  Visit Lashan's Homepage Send Lashan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Since the "Chosen of Mystra" were the first of their kind to appear, then everything compares to that. Sure, the Chosen of Mystra are touchstones to the Weave and all that. Other "Chosen" of other gods don't have that ability. That doesn't mean they don't have some similiar touchstone abilities of their patrons. I mean, maybe the Chosen of Talona is a touchstone to the network of viruses that live and thrive throughout the world. They act in a similiar way for their patron that the Chosen of Mystra do for magic.

So....if you consider that the Chosen of Mystra are responsible for maintaining the fabric of the Weave, then no other chosen of other gods can do that. If you consider the Chosen of any god to have special powers that are responsible for the ethos of their patrons then they are the same.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2005 :  15:01:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

This is the ticket. Mystra's Chosen are, in my opinion, the only true Chosen. They contain a significant amount of Mystra's own essence.

Other so-called Chosen, while they are the favored of their deity and have nifty, deity-granted abilities, do not contain that divine essence. Thus, they are not true Chosen. They should be called "Favored" or "Champion" or something like that.

What Wooly said .

I would only add that in most regards to most other "Chosen" (which I will now refer to as Divine Champions), their deities probably consider them "expandable" to some degree. Mystra's Chosen on the other hand, are an important balancing element in the Realms, and are essentially *more necessary* to its stability than those Divine Champions of other powers.

Go to Top of Page

Lashan
Learned Scribe

USA
235 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2005 :  15:04:10  Show Profile  Visit Lashan's Homepage Send Lashan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How do we know that the Chosen of other gods don't have a part of their patron god's divine essence?
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2005 :  15:13:00  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Because none of them have this stated in his "sheets", historys, and so...
Mystra do this, and even given to some mortals part of his divine essence, she is one of the more powerful Faerunian deities, so I think that this (Mystra have Chosen with his divine essence) is not only an ace in the sleeve for Mystra, but a way to Ao "level down" the God of Magic (I think that, without this, Mystra will stay more powerful than the more powerful of the Faerunian deities...). But it is just one opinion...

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2005 :  15:35:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lashan

How do we know that the Chosen of other gods don't have a part of their patron god's divine essence?

I certainly hope that is not the case!

That would completely destroy the "special nature" of Mystra's Chosen, and make the concept of a Chosen for a deity even more generic than it is slowly becoming now.

Go to Top of Page

Lashan
Learned Scribe

USA
235 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2005 :  15:56:04  Show Profile  Visit Lashan's Homepage Send Lashan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe we haven't seen it because the current chosen just haven't been detailed yet. How do you add that into the stat block that is printed? And the histories for these chosen are not very detailed. Perhaps if they had the derth of material written about them that the Chosen of Mystra have then it would show that these chosen DO have a piece of divine essence.

I mean compare the amount of detail that the Chosen of Mystra have written about them compared to the COMBINED material on the rest of them.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2005 :  16:27:35  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I gotta disagree again. Jeryth, one of Mielikki's Chosen, sure seems to have some of Mielikki's essence since that NPC was not a ranger until Mielikki made her a Chosen and granted her levels in that class. Since Mielikki is the ranger deity of the Faerun Pantheon it sure seems like she granted Jeryth some of her power.

Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2005 :  16:33:13  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Maybe we haven't seen it because the current chosen just haven't been detailed yet. How do you add that into the stat block that is printed? And the histories for these chosen are not very detailed. Perhaps if they had the derth of material written about them that the Chosen of Mystra have then it would show that these chosen DO have a piece of divine essence.

I mean compare the amount of detail that the Chosen of Mystra have written about them compared to the COMBINED material on the rest of them.

Well, then sometimes you need to be basing this from the novels then. For example, the Erevis Cale trilogy which features two of Mask's Chosens. The protagonist in that series, Erevis Cale, is the First of Five but yet he does not seem to have any divine-blessed powers. It seems that the only thing that he got from being Chosen was his new weapon and becoming a Shade.

Then if you read about Chosens of Mystras, most of their Chosen abilities are divine-blessed, like having the ability to use silverfire or immunity to certain spells.

Go to Top of Page

Lashan
Learned Scribe

USA
235 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2005 :  16:56:20  Show Profile  Visit Lashan's Homepage Send Lashan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have not read that novel, so I have no idea.

What about the other Chosen, though? The ones not listed in novels?
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2005 :  17:37:09  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sure that other Chosens have some of their deities' divinity and power, but none of them contain as much as Mystra's Chosens. The Goddess of Magic stored much of her powers within her Chosens, shown during ToT when she gave it to Elminster to hold.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2005 :  17:59:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I have not read that novel, so I have no idea.

What about the other Chosen, though? The ones not listed in novels?

Fzoul Chembryl, the Chosen of Bane, has been statted out. There is no mention of his having a piece of Bane's essence.

Part of why Mystra's Chosen are unique is because of their role. They balance out Mystra, and store some of her power in case it's needed. They're kinda like "loyal opposition" -- they are loyal to Mystra, but they are not controlled by her, and with them having some of her power, they can act in opposition to her if she gets out of control. They are also assistants of a sort; they work to further the spread of magic, but in a pinch, they can also help to maintain the Weave.

That is why Mystra has Chosen. That is why hers are special. The rest are but pale shadows.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2005 :  18:01:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I gotta disagree again. Jeryth, one of Mielikki's Chosen, sure seems to have some of Mielikki's essence since that NPC was not a ranger until Mielikki made her a Chosen and granted her levels in that class. Since Mielikki is the ranger deity of the Faerun Pantheon it sure seems like she granted Jeryth some of her power.

I don't know that getting a couple of levels is the same as getting some of her essence. I don't recall Dove having any spellcasting levels, yet we know she has that divine essence. And IIRC, Qilué has only divine spellcasting (not including the Chosen abilities, of course).

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2005 :  18:43:24  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I don't know that getting a couple of levels is the same as getting some of her essence. I don't recall Dove having any spellcasting levels, yet we know she has that divine essence. And IIRC, Qilué has only divine spellcasting (not including the Chosen abilities, of course).

Yes, I suppose but I still disagree. :)

Go to Top of Page

Bane_the_Dark_Lord
Acolyte

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2005 :  21:57:19  Show Profile  Visit Bane_the_Dark_Lord's Homepage Send Bane_the_Dark_Lord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So what I've mainly gotten out of all this is a few things.

1.) Mystra's Chosen are more powerful and numerous.
2.) They actually possess a portion of mystra's essence/power instead of just being granted a few special powers by her.
3.) Other gods may indeed have Chosen but they are more just favored servants then true "Chosen" of their god. (and as we see the Chosen of Bane and Denier template are weaker then the Chosen of Mystra *should* be if you brought over all the 2ed abilities.)
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2005 :  00:59:08  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Actually Msytra's chosen are not that numerous, with only about nine known to be her chosen.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2005 :  01:01:40  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadovar

quote:

Actually Msytra's chosen are not that numerous, with only about nine known to be her chosen.

Make that at least 13, plus the others that we don't know about.

Edited by - Kuje on 02 Jul 2005 01:05:28
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2005 :  01:18:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Part of why Mystra's Chosen are unique is because of their role. They balance out Mystra, and store some of her power in case it's needed. They're kinda like "loyal opposition" -- they are loyal to Mystra, but they are not controlled by her, and with them having some of her power, they can act in opposition to her if she gets out of control. They are also assistants of a sort; they work to further the spread of magic, but in a pinch, they can also help to maintain the Weave.

That is why Mystra has Chosen. That is why hers are special. The rest are but pale shadows.

That's what I was getting at earlier. To make the Divine Champions of the other deities similar to Mystra's Chosen takes away the charm of the Chosen characters and makes their entire position in the Realms seem "usual".

Although, Kuje's point about Jeryth is a valid one. Could it be that perhaps deities temporarily endow a portion of their power to their specific Divine Champions for "special needs"? Mielikki's Divine Champion, as reflected through the upgrade in class levels, could suggest that for the time being, Jeryth is carrying out some specific cause for Mielikki -- if and when that cause is completed, Jeryth may be returned to more appropriate stats.

Edited by - The Sage on 02 Jul 2005 01:20:16
Go to Top of Page

Toedoe
Acolyte

18 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2005 :  04:14:49  Show Profile Send Toedoe a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Malik carries in him Cyric's heart. Would that not be considered divine essence? I believe it should be, BUT I also believe Malik and all other chosen (champions) are different from Mystra's and that Mystra's fill a unique purpose.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2005 :  05:06:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Toedoe

Malik carries in him Cyric's heart. Would that not be considered divine essence? I believe it should be, BUT I also believe Malik and all other chosen (champions) are different from Mystra's and that Mystra's fill a unique purpose.

Not really... The fact that Cyric was able to pluck out his own heart and wave it around shows that it's just a lump of meat -- an artifact of his former humanity, perhaps.

Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2005 :  02:57:16  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Exactly like Wooly said. Cyric's heart is considered more of a holy artifact of his Church more than anything.

It's kind of like the drops of blood that fell to Faerun from Lathander's avatar during his battle with Sammaster the Mad.

Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2005 :  03:00:29  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Exactly like Wooly said. Cyric's heart is considered more of a holy artifact of his Church more than anything.

It's kind of like the drops of blood that fell to Faerun from Lathander's avatar during his battle with Sammaster the Mad.

Pardon my asking, when was the battle between Lathander's avatar and Sammaster the Mad held? Is it true Sammaster was still a living mortal before he turned into a lich when he fought Lathander's avatar? Thanks.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000