Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Candlekeep Web Site
 Site Content
 The Candlekeep Compendium
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2005 :  00:56:48  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

I haven't finished it, but I enjoyed it immensely. I even decided to make Telflamm (about which I knew almost nothing two days ago!) the site of an early adventure in a campaign that I am beginning next week. I have a group of questions trigerred by George Krashos's "Tour of Telflamm," though: what were the circumstances of Volludan's death in 1353 (there seem to be several hints that it was avoidable), and what was The Red Book of War which apparently went down with him?

Hi Jamallo.

Glad you liked the article. It's been sitting in my notebooks for about 5 years now.

The details for Volludan's death were first detailed in "Sea of Fallen Stars" (the wreck of the Shadowake) and the 'Red Book of War' is noted in there also - but was first detailed in one of Ed's "Pages From the Mages" articles in DRAGON. Basically, the Shadowmasters of Telflamm tried to muscle in on the temples of the city and have them pay protection money, etc. Taeron of Tempus told them to stick it and in retribution they stole from the Tower of Tempus the Red Book of War, a couple of magical blades (one of which - Galathos is detailed in my DRAGON#277 article "Soargar's Legacy") and a helm of brilliance. Unfortunately, this act roused most everyone in Telflamm who could lug a sword into righteous fury and the Shadowmasters found themselves hunted and hounded. Volludan, instead of trying to broker a peace and returning the items, fled Telflamm by sea instead. His ship was sunk by a storm and he is believed dead from an eyewitness report. Some of this info is also noted in "Cloak & Dagger".

The 'Red Book of War' is what is known as a 'temple tome' - a repository for spells of the faith, used by the clergy of a particular temple to study, gain divine inspiration etc. The 'Red Book of War' is a large tome, its covers being battered metal plates and it glows constantly with a red, flickering 'faerie fire' (hence its name). Along with common PH spells, it also contained spells unique to the faith of Tempus (at least in 1E and 2E) and these are: 'holy flail', 'reveal' and 'bladebless'. I believe that a couple of these may have been updated to 3.xE. Hope this has been helpful.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 09 Jun 2005 01:01:18
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2005 :  02:49:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm glad to hear your enjoying the inaugural issue of the Candlekeep Compendium Kreen, it means a lot... .

quote:

"Organizations: The Forgotten Scroll," by Bradley Russo was very thought-provoking. I can see The Forgotten Scroll as an NPC organization in my campaign. I would like to see more information about it.
I had to put the second part of that article on hold for issue two. But I'll likely have the second portion I'm writing now ready for some future CC issue.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2005 :  04:06:17  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

(snip)

The details for Volludan's death were first detailed in "Sea of Fallen Stars" (the wreck of the Shadowake) and the 'Red Book of War' is noted in there also - but was first detailed in one of Ed's "Pages From the Mages" articles in DRAGON. Basically, the Shadowmasters of Telflamm tried to muscle in on the temples of the city and have them pay protection money, etc. Taeron of Tempus told them to stick it and in retribution they stole from the Tower of Tempus the Red Book of War, a couple of magical blades (one of which - Galathos is detailed in my DRAGON#277 article "Soargar's Legacy") and a helm of brilliance. Unfortunately, this act roused most everyone in Telflamm who could lug a sword into righteous fury and the Shadowmasters found themselves hunted and hounded. Volludan, instead of trying to broker a peace and returning the items, fled Telflamm by sea instead. His ship was sunk by a storm and he is believed dead from an eyewitness report. Some of this info is also noted in "Cloak & Dagger".

The 'Red Book of War' is what is known as a 'temple tome' - a repository for spells of the faith, used by the clergy of a particular temple to study, gain divine inspiration etc. The 'Red Book of War' is a large tome, its covers being battered metal plates and it glows constantly with a red, flickering 'faerie fire' (hence its name). Along with common PH spells, it also contained spells unique to the faith of Tempus (at least in 1E and 2E) and these are: 'holy flail', 'reveal' and 'bladebless'. I believe that a couple of these may have been updated to 3.xE. Hope this has been helpful.

-- George Krashos

"Mercy buckets!" as the French say. Sea of Fallen Stars is one of those books which I always intended to have bought but which I never did, for one reason or another. It has been highly commended to me. Now I have another reason to get it.

Many thanks for the information!

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2005 :  07:20:34  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ahh, "Sea of Fallen Stars" is one of the, if not the only, 'complete' product in the FR line-up. As in it provides practically everything you would need to adventure in a locale, history, story and game hooks and 'crunch'. It's only competitors are "Cormanthyr: Empire of the Elves" and "Empires of the Shining Sea" IMHO. It's also a 'hidden gem' of the Realms as it contains many, many fine nuances and interesting (and far reaching) realmslore tidbits that any DM could tackle with relish. Oh, and it was written by a great guy whose contribution to the Realms should never be underestimated. Say, when is Steven Schend going to get a freelance FR design gig from WotC?

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2005 :  11:21:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Say, when is Steven Schend going to get a freelance FR design gig from WotC?

-- George Krashos

Not soon enough.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2005 :  14:41:49  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Say, when is Steven Schend going to get a freelance FR design gig from WotC?

-- George Krashos

Not soon enough.

Indeed.

I'm still waiting for him to once again take up his writing quill so that he can compose more tales based in the Realms -- one was just not enough by a long shot.

Edited by - The Sage on 09 Jun 2005 14:45:49
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2005 :  20:54:59  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe if we're loud enough within these walls, some of that noise should even reach the most silenced places those Wizards on the Coast sometimes dwell in... somewhere beyond those fields of NDA's

We want SES, we want... etc.

Oh, and thanks for the kind words Jamallo, nice to know that I have a fan.

And, as the furry master of Realmslore stated, there will be more in Volume II and if Oghma permits, Volume III as well.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2005 :  23:01:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mumadar Ibn Huzal

And, as the furry master of Realmslore stated, there will be more in Volume II and if Oghma permits, Volume III as well.

Furry master of Realmslore... That's a new one!

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2005 :  02:50:02  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I prefer "Master of Mischief Making"... .

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2005 :  02:59:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I prefer "Master of Mischief Making"... .

Hmmm... Everywhere I go, I seem to get this reputation for being mischievous... It must be a conspiracy.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2005 :  04:02:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but I'd like to know whose behind it, if it is indeed a conspiracy... .

Big Al perhaps?

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2005 :  05:45:56  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My guess would be the Master of Mischief himself

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2005 :  05:46:04  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but I'd like to know whose behind it, if it is indeed a conspiracy... .

Big Al perhaps?

'Tis possible, but doubtful. That mysterious conspiracy has been in effect for several years now, long before I first came here...

Though I supposed that he could be a more recent recruit into this nefarious group...

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2005 :  05:58:56  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ahh, "Sea of Fallen Stars" is one of the, if not the only, 'complete' product in the FR line-up. As in it provides practically everything you would need to adventure in a locale, history, story and game hooks and 'crunch'. It's only competitors are "Cormanthyr: Empire of the Elves" and "Empires of the Shining Sea" IMHO. It's also a 'hidden gem' of the Realms as it contains many, many fine nuances and interesting (and far reaching) realmslore tidbits that any DM could tackle with relish. Oh, and it was written by a great guy whose contribution to the Realms should never be underestimated. Say, when is Steven Schend going to get a freelance FR design gig from WotC?

-- George Krashos

OT: I have put Sea of Fallen Stars on my RPGnow wish list (where it will have to wait, I'm afraid!). I would like to know, since so many here are enthusiastic fans of it, whether or not it deals with Jhaamdath and its destruction? Information, please!

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2005 :  06:06:21  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I would like to know, since so many here are enthusiastic fans of it, whether or not it deals with Jhaamdath and its destruction? Information, please!
The events surrounding much of Jhaamdath's history are covered in detail in SoFS, so yes, the tome does deal with the realm.

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2005 :  06:49:29  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I would like to know, since so many here are enthusiastic fans of it, whether or not it deals with Jhaamdath and its destruction? Information, please!
The events surrounding much of Jhaamdath's history are covered in detail in SoFS, so yes, the tome does deal with the realm.

Thank you!

Go to Top of Page

Otus
Acolyte

Finland
1 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2005 :  20:00:41  Show Profile  Visit Otus's Homepage Send Otus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Magnificent

"A Tour of Telflamm" and the story hooks appealed to me the most, but there was lots of other very good stuff also.

Many thanks and hope you'll get the next one done soon
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2005 :  20:42:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Otus

Magnificent

"A Tour of Telflamm" and the story hooks appealed to me the most, but there was lots of other very good stuff also.

Many thanks and hope you'll get the next one done soon

All it needs is the finishing touches put on it.

I suppose that means I should get to work on my part for Volume 3...

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2005 :  03:12:08  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I suppose that means I should get to work on my part for Volume 3...
And I as well, or at least, I should get to work on my other submissions.

Hoar's Domain, Part 2 is already complete .

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2005 :  18:50:43  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

I hereby announce the release of Volume II of The Candlekeep Compendium as part of todays site update.

Again, i'd like to take this opportunity to thank all those involved in the production of this issue. Much time and effort has been put into this.

I hope ye all enjoy this collection of Realmslore

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2005 :  03:04:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hope all our regular scribes as well as the visitors to these halls really do enjoy this new and amazine issue of the Compendium. It's composed of some of the most well-crafted fan-based Realmslore I've ever read.

As an aside though, Big Al, might I suggest that we create a *sticky* comments scroll for this second issue to keep our discussion tied to the specific issue that was released...

Edited by - The Sage on 13 Jun 2005 03:05:56
Go to Top of Page

zemd
Master of Realmslore

France
1103 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2005 :  10:43:34  Show Profile Send zemd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm just discovering the first volume... amazing really. I'll for sure use it in my future games
Go to Top of Page

David Latapie
Acolyte

France
4 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2005 :  14:13:34  Show Profile  Visit David Latapie's Homepage Send David Latapie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Typos in Compendium I

Journal Entry 9

OLD
"From the Jaguar Guards the exotic Maztica"

NEW
"From the Jaguar Guards FROM the exotic Maztica"
                                  ^^^^

Journal Entry 9
OLD
"you will never be prepare enough"

NEW
"you willnever be prepareD enough"
                                  ^

Edited by - David Latapie on 09 Jul 2005 14:16:43
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2005 :  16:57:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Latapie

Typos in Compendium I

Journal Entry 9

OLD
"From the Jaguar Guards the exotic Maztica"

NEW
"From the Jaguar Guards FROM the exotic Maztica"
                                  ^^^^

Journal Entry 9
OLD
"you will never be prepare enough"

NEW
"you willnever be prepareD enough"
                                  ^

Those are partially my fault. I basically skipped over the Journal in the first volume, because at the time I didn't think it appopriate to edit what was supposed to be an on-the-fly, written-as-time-permits kind of journal.

Hopefully, you won't find any such errors in the rest of Volume 1, or at all in Volume 2.

Go to Top of Page

David Latapie
Acolyte

France
4 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2005 :  17:32:27  Show Profile  Visit David Latapie's Homepage Send David Latapie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I still have to read the second volume :-) I have another request: make it copiable. Presently, it is not possible to select a line of text and copy it.

Voilą, au revoir
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2005 :  19:37:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I still have to read the second volume :-) I have another request: make it copiable. Presently, it is not possible to select a line of text and copy it.

Voilą, au revoir

That's very odd... When doing the editing, I usually copied and pasted from the PDF without a problem.

Go to Top of Page

David Latapie
Acolyte

France
4 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2005 :  20:39:20  Show Profile  Visit David Latapie's Homepage Send David Latapie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe should I have mentionned I'm using Preview.app, the Mac OS X built-in (and very fast) application for visualising PDF.

Oh maybe I was just clumsy.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2005 :  22:58:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Maybe should I have mentionned I'm using Preview.app, the Mac OS X built-in (and very fast) application for visualising PDF.

Ah. That case, I can't help you. I'm a Windows person, and I stick with Adobe for reading PDFs.

You could check the Adobe website -- I'd be surprised if there wasn't a version of Reader available for the Mac.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2005 :  04:48:24  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Ah. That case, I can't help you. I'm a Windows person, and I stick with Adobe for reading PDFs.
I like programming Macs. They give me an Apple if I do a good enough job .

Having said that, maybe I can help. Have you had any further problems David?

quote:
You could check the Adobe website -- I'd be surprised if there wasn't a version of Reader available for the Mac.
There is, or rather, there was. I believe a new update is already on the way...

Go to Top of Page

David Latapie
Acolyte

France
4 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2005 :  05:19:04  Show Profile  Visit David Latapie's Homepage Send David Latapie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I modified my Mac for case-sensitiveness. It normally works very well except for a couple of ill-programmed apps wich doesn't support case-sensitiveness (so far it had always been apps where the programmers get lazy and just use upper- or lowercase in complete fantasy in their soft).

It seems Adobe Reader is such an app. I'm on Tiger (latest Mac version).

I checked again for the copy and paste: it was wetware error :-) Eveything works fine. Sorry for false bug report (the typo thing still apply, though).
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000