Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Erik Scott de Bie
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 53

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2013 :  18:50:22  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So with Mystra's return and if all the spellscars get healed, is what's his name going to finally emerge out of Twilight's shadow....( I really need to read Eye of Justice...... )

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2013 :  19:25:46  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

So with Mystra's return and if all the spellscars get healed, is what's his name going to finally emerge out of Twilight's shadow....( I really need to read Eye of Justice...... )

Who knows? My story hasn't caught up with the Sundering. Also, I rather doubt all the spellscars will be healed.

And yes, you really do need to read EOJ.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2013 :  06:20:59  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
come on... you wouldnt leave her in that kind of misery would you?????

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2013 :  06:50:43  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

come on... you wouldnt leave her in that kind of misery would you?????
What misery do you mean, exactly? Does Myrin strike you as someone who suffers from her spellscar?

Not saying she does or doesn't--I'm just curious if that's what you mean.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2013 :  07:15:59  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Fox not being able to touch a living soul misery.... without burning them

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2013 :  07:44:49  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, I see what (who) you meant.

It's really up to WOTC. Otherwise yeah, status quo.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

astolfo
Acolyte

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2013 :  01:47:36  Show Profile Send astolfo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just a quick thank you for all your work on the realms and staying engaged with fans.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 31 Dec 2013 :  03:20:44  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome! I do what I can. WOTC is a pretty closed shop at the moment, and not being an employee, I don't really have that much going on in the realms right now, other than that I love it.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2014 :  00:59:51  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

Interesting. Apparently, Lilly is to portray Tauriel in the upcoming Desolation of Smaug. A character created by Jackson, but I guess that their highly paid cast agents agree with you.
Indeed. Though honestly, she'd probably make a better Arilyn, IMO.

quote:
From what I understand, Myrin is a quata (that's how we say it in MA) drow. Why the blue hair?
It's a magical effect linked to her own unique power source and extensive magical experimentation. To be more specific can easily cross into spoiler/NDA territory.

I actually though that Tauriel felt more like a Realmsian Elf then Tolkien Elf. And she was by far my favourite character in the whole Movie, Tolkien Purest be damned ;p

Tolkien's writing tends to be very dry so it needed someone like her.

Anyways so far it seems like the Sundering will have alot of major effects on your characters, from the return of the weave changing how magic works, to whole regions being returned to Abier and from Abier back to Toril, the return of Gods like Helm, all these new chosen, and who knows what's to come.

When things go back to normal, I'm assuming they will after the Sundering series and 5e releases, are you looking forward to the adapting your characters to the changes?

Cheers

Edited by - Gyor on 01 Jan 2014 01:11:53
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2014 :  02:59:36  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

quote:

Interesting. Apparently, Lilly is to portray Tauriel in the upcoming Desolation of Smaug. A character created by Jackson, but I guess that their highly paid cast agents agree with you.
Indeed. Though honestly, she'd probably make a better Arilyn, IMO.
I'm fine with that.

quote:
Anyways so far it seems like the Sundering will have alot of major effects on your characters, from the return of the weave changing how magic works, to whole regions being returned to Abier and from Abier back to Toril, the return of Gods like Helm, all these new chosen, and who knows what's to come.

When things go back to normal, I'm assuming they will after the Sundering series and 5e releases, are you looking forward to the adapting your characters to the changes?

I'm not sure what you mean by "normal," as WOTC has made no indication it intends to publish a campaign setting, let alone novels by one of their medium-rank authors like me, but if it happens, then yes, I look forward to it. And I already have plans.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2014 :  22:44:54  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where can I find a copy of the short "A New Purpose" other than the Shadowbane ebook, Erik? I've taken up your works again in the hopes of unraveling some of your secrets.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Edited by - Fellfire on 01 Jan 2014 22:47:34
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 01 Jan 2014 :  23:25:45  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think it's out there in any other form, alas. Do you not have the book?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2014 :  01:39:26  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No longer. Unfortunately. I will get it again. In the meantime, who or what is N'tanathil?

Edit: nvm

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Edited by - Fellfire on 02 Jan 2014 01:42:20
Go to Top of Page

Dudka
Acolyte

9 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2014 :  16:15:25  Show Profile Send Dudka a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Erik,

I have a question from Downshadow. I might have missed something but...

When Fayne and Myrin kiss, Myrin is able to look through Fayne's eyes when her mother was murdered and she saw herself at the scene as well. What was she doing there? Or, did I simply not understand.

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2014 :  00:42:17  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Question: In EoJ FaT is dubbed "moonflower" does this imply a relation to the royal family of Evermeet?

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2014 :  07:19:18  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dudka

When Fayne and Myrin kiss, Myrin is able to look through Fayne's eyes when her mother was murdered and she saw herself at the scene as well. What was she doing there? Or, did I simply not understand?
Nope, you understood, and that's exactly what happened. Myrin appears to have been there at the time as well. What she was doing there or why has yet to be revealed. Great question.

quote:

Question: In EoJ FaT is dubbed "moonflower" does this imply a relation to the royal family of Evermeet?
Where are you finding that reference? I'm trying to look up the context.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2014 :  21:46:07  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know, Erik, the search option on my Kindle isn't finding it in EoJ or DoM. Maybe it was in one of your short stories. I'll endeavour to locate it 'cause I'm curious now. I was sure it was EoJ. I want to say 'twas either Kire or Lilten that made the comment.

Edit: Alas, I seem to be unable to access your webpage atm. Your server keeps timing out.

Misanthorpe

Edited by - Fellfire on 11 Jan 2014 22:00:25
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2014 :  23:15:30  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Website works ok for me. Try again?

I'd take anything Kirenkirsalai or Lilianviaten say with a boulder of salt. One of them is a unscrupulous immortal villain, and the other is a vampire.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2014 :  23:39:41  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, I finally made it to your page, Erik, but Illira doesn't feature in any of your shorts there (that I could find). I'll keep an eye out for it next time I read EoJ. Here's another one for you though. Are Kire's powers over shadow because of his Shadowdancer training or is he some kind of variant vamp (Dragon 348)? Also, I'd like to know more of the shadowy rapier he wears that has been mentioned several times now.

Misanthorpe

Edited by - Fellfire on 11 Jan 2014 23:41:22
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2014 :  23:46:30  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Though I suppose if you're not gonna spill the beans on Neveren, you're not going to for him either.

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2014 :  23:53:44  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yes, I finally made it to your page, Erik, but Illira doesn't feature in any of your shorts there (that I could find). I'll keep an eye out for it next time I read EoJ. Here's another one for you though. Are Kire's powers over shadow because of his Shadowdancer training or is he some kind of variant vamp (Dragon 348)? Also, I'd like to know more of the shadowy rapier he wears that has been mentioned several times now.
I won't rule out the possibility of Kire being some kind of shadow vampire, but that wasn't the intention. He was a mortal adventurer with some thiefly and arcane talent (a Wizard/Thief in fact), and when he became a vampire he still had his powers, and they were in some way affected by the Spellplague (he lost his wizardly powers and relearned how to use a small amount of magic, making him mostly a rogue rather than a wizard). His background is much articulated already, and he is a character who has existed since at least Cloak and Dagger.

I suggest you read my Backdrop: Westgate article for more detail.

As for his shadow rapier, it's a weapon he conjures with his arcane abilities. Similar but less powerful than a Black Blade of Disaster.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2014 :  23:56:11  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Though I suppose if you're not gonna spill the beans on Neveren, you're not going to for him either.
I wonder what the relationship between those two is...

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2014 :  00:49:31  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd assumed that they were one and the same, but after reding your Westgate article and Cloak and Dagger, I'm not so sure.

And what is with the odd Friendschecker/Zoosk links in your posts?

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2014 :  06:23:36  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure what you're talking about the links?

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2014 :  21:06:09  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Erik, can we please have some teeny, tiny spoilers regarding where you might take the series?

1) For instance, do you plan to return to Waterdeep, Luskan, or Westgate? Or would Saer Shadowbane be looking for new hunting grounds?

2) When Mystra returns and repairs the Weave, will the spellscars of Myrin and Kalen disappear?

3) Your series deals with many of Shar's servants as villains. Do you foresee this changing if Netheril gets wiped out in 5e? Or do you see Shar as a natural enemy of Helm? (assuming that Kalen gets his powers from Helm)

3) Lilten seems to have a snobbery regarding the superiority of elves, but is he truly an elf at heart? I mean, would we hate a drow instantly if he met one? Would he desire to see Evermeet, or go to Arvandor when he dies? And will he be inclined to come to Myth Drannor's aid when the Shadovar attack?

As a random aside, I wish you and RAS could have written a book together regarding the current state of Luskan. Lilten meeting Jarlaxle would be awesomeness personified.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2014 :  23:07:00  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lilianviaten

Erik, can we please have some teeny, tiny spoilers regarding where you might take the series?
Why not?

quote:
1) For instance, do you plan to return to Waterdeep, Luskan, or Westgate? Or would Saer Shadowbane be looking for new hunting grounds?
I had planned to write at least 2-3 books in Westgate, of which EOJ is the first. After that, who knows?

The next book I had planned is SHADOWBANE: KINGDOM OF NIGHT, which takes place in Westgate at least a couple years after EYE OF JUSTICE, and involves the Night King of the Night Masks. The following book (no working title yet, but there are plans) is a departure and heads to a series of unexpected places.

When those books will be written, well, that's up to the Powers that Be. I am only a simple scribe.

quote:
2) When Mystra returns and repairs the Weave, will the spellscars of Myrin and Kalen disappear?
I don't know, is the honest answer. I don't think so. I mean, Mystra's revival hasn't automatically solved broken things in the past, like dead/wild magic zones, etc. But we'll see.

It's also possible that SB:KON will take place before the Sundering is at an end, so it's hard to say.

quote:
3) Your series deals with many of Shar's servants as villains. Do you foresee this changing if Netheril gets wiped out in 5e? Or do you see Shar as a natural enemy of Helm? (assuming that Kalen gets his powers from Helm)
I think it's rare to find a Sharran who *isn't* a villain in at least some way, as her faith attracts evil people by default. That said, Sithe (from SHADOWBANE) was pretty hardcore but not a villain, exactly. It's interesting to see a variety of worshippers of a god who don't necessarily fit the expected mold.

If Netheril gets wiped out, that would make some difference to what I have planned, but honestly, they aren't that significant to the Shadowbane story. No doubt some shades will survive, and those to whom they have granted power won't necessarily lose that power.

I think Shar is a natural enemy of Helm, as she represents the drive to destroy everything that he is in place to protect. And Kalen definitely has this whole "war against darkness" thing going on. So yeah, I expect Shar will still be an enemy for him, regardless of how she comes out of the Sundering.

quote:
3) Lilten seems to have a snobbery regarding the superiority of elves, but is he truly an elf at heart?
Well, that's the question, isn't it? There's some about him that's definitely elven, and some that is definitely something else. He was raised among elves a LONG time ago, before they even considered humans more than rodents, and he derives from a particular bloodline that is overly haughty even by elven standards. So yeah, not a surprise that he's got an snobbish streak. But then again, he's been around a LONG time and met a LOT of people, and he's something of the black sheep of his particular family.

quote:
I mean, would we hate a drow instantly if he met one? Would he desire to see Evermeet, or go to Arvandor when he dies?
Lilten doesn't *hate* anyone. He doesn't have time for that. People are either in his way or aren't. And I have no doubt that he *has* seen Evermeet (and probably has no desire to see it again) and that Arvandor would bore the stuffing out of him.

quote:
And will he be inclined to come to Myth Drannor's aid when the Shadovar attack?
My first instinct is to say "fiddling while Myth Drannor burns," but you never know with him. He has a surprising amount of nobility, and he definitely wants to see the elven race preserved. After all, that was the purpose of his birth. So he might help, though he wouldn't want anyone to know he did so. After all, he has a reputation to uphold.

quote:
As a random aside, I wish you and RAS could have written a book together regarding the current state of Luskan. Lilten meeting Jarlaxle would be awesomeness personified.
That would indeed be fun, and the devastation that would cause when the two went on a bender would be mythic. Maybe it already happened--I mean, that's one way to explain Luskan's state in 4e FR.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2014 :  17:06:52  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hail and Well Met, friends,

I've been away for a while, and here I am to explain why: I'm publishing three novels this year, plus a comic book, plus all this Red Aegis work. Busy scribe is busy.

If you're curious, the first and most "Realmsy" of my novels, SHADOW OF THE WINTER KING, book one of the World of Ruin series (something I know many of you have been waiting for, sometimes for years) is now available through Amazon, Dragonmoon Press, and an e-signing. Here's the basics:

An aging assassin goes on one last quest to avenge his fallen king, to light one last fire in a darkening world--and perhaps change it. Game of Thrones meets Fallout by way of Assassin's Creed.

Like I said, the book is in the same vein as my Realms work, and I think you'll find it a comfy spot to put up your boots.

Also, for those of you who read WHEN THE HERO COMES HOME, my story in that anthology ("Oathbreaker") was a prequel to this novel. Many of the same characters (including the main character) are the same.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 06 May 2014 17:20:40
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2014 :  18:31:26  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Grats on the busyness, Erik! Being busy is lots better than going hungry. Lookin forward to reading your work.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2014 :  20:06:47  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Awesome! Let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2014 :  15:52:15  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
finaly had some time to catch up on things and what do I find?

A long anticipated novel for my Kindle!! Cant wait to start reading SotWK at my lunch break today Erik.

Hope all is well with you and yours and looking forward to even more of your work in the future.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 53 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000