Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Erik Scott de Bie
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 53

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2010 :  20:54:24  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

I've seen the cover only briefly, and I like the concept. Well executed, I think, in this case. I would be pretty happy to have a solid work of art like this on the cover of my next WotC book--whenever it appears.

I myself am a fan of wrap-around covers, as well. Complex battle scenes that wrap are particularly cool, in my book, but maybe that's old fashioned.

Cheers

I like that kinda thing too, but if a dustjacket on a hardcover (or even a paperback's spine) is too busy for my wife's taste......it usually means I can't store it on my main bookshelf without removing it!

P.S. and I will have to admit, she may be right......FR dustjackets might not blend very well with the French Provincial vibe she has going on in our manor

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 11 Jan 2010 20:55:02
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2010 :  00:31:25  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
so who did you have running the Yawning portal in your encounters adventure???

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2010 :  17:41:46  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

Not just I, but *everyone* running the D&D Encounters program had the Yawning Portal.

It was extremely fun from a design perspective to use such a famous part of Undermountain/Waterdeep lore.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2010 :  17:58:07  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wanted to pop in and address a point raised on my Book Club scroll, specifically:

quote:
Originally posted by skychrome

I saw a few days ago how you get praised on Gleemax, so it is really difficult for me to understand why WoTC hasn't assigned you new novels yet!
Well, here's the thing: it's all about sales figures. And since I'm still fairly early in my writing career (i.e., I don't have the body of published work, readership, etc., that authors like RLB, Paul Kemp, Elaine, or particularly Bob do), I don't move as many copies as I need to in order to get attention from the PTB at WotC, who could give me a trilogy or the like. How fast I get my momentum going depends strictly on how many people buy my work.

Does this mean one shouldn't sing my (or any author's) praises on a messageboard or post reviews on Amazon or talk us up to your friends? No, absolutely, you should TOTALLY do these things. The more awareness we get, the more people consider buying our books, and the more sales figures we'll get.

I am doing my best to keep up the marketing and bring myself to more people's awareness, and I appreciate all the help I can get. Also, it's kinda my job to put out quality work--the better my stuff, the better it will/should sell, the higher my figures, the more likely I am to get other things.

Also, I recently hinted that I was indeed now under contract to write another WotC novel. No other details about it--it's WAY too early to start the hype--but I credit all the people who went out and bought Downshadow as being the primary (or indeed sole!) reason I got more novel work.

And on that note . . . back to work!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2010 :  19:37:28  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Not just I, but *everyone* running the D&D Encounters program had the Yawning Portal.

It was extremely fun from a design perspective to use such a famous part of Undermountain/Waterdeep lore.

Cheers

you miss understand and I wasnt clear.

who was the npc behind the Bar running the place. and ddid he/she have any relations to Durnan

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2010 :  19:55:23  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is indeed a note in the adventure that the proprietor of the tavern is a big Chondathan man called Durnan the Sixth.

The PCs have three alternatives when it comes to getting down into Undermountain: their employer (Fayne) arranges it, they pay a fee, or they try to do it themselves, which they are strongly advised NOT to attempt.

If they do indeed try to do it themselves and fail at the necessary skill checks, they fall down into the cavern, suffering some serious falling damage, and Durnan--who is operating the winch--leans over the well and shouts “I told you so!”

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 29 Mar 2010 :  22:03:01  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

There is indeed a note in the adventure that the proprietor of the tavern is a big Chondathan man called Durnan the Sixth.

The PCs have three alternatives when it comes to getting down into Undermountain: their employer (Fayne) arranges it, they pay a fee, or they try to do it themselves, which they are strongly advised NOT to attempt.

If they do indeed try to do it themselves and fail at the necessary skill checks, they fall down into the cavern, suffering some serious falling damage, and Durnan--who is operating the winch--leans over the well and shouts “I told you so!”

Cheers

thank you.....

New Realmslore....

btw do you know if those encounter adventures will be released as ddi or hardback at some point??

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2010 :  22:09:45  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I wanted to pop in and address a point raised on my Book Club scroll, specifically:

quote:

I saw a few days ago how you get praised on Gleemax, so it is really difficult for me to understand why WoTC hasn't assigned you new novels yet!
Well, here's the thing: it's all about sales figures. And since I'm still fairly early in my writing career (i.e., I don't have the body of published work, readership, etc., that authors like RLB, Paul Kemp, Elaine, or particularly Bob do), I don't move as many copies as I need to in order to get attention from the PTB at WotC, who could give me a trilogy or the like. How fast I get my momentum going depends strictly on how many people buy my work.

Hm, while this sounds perfectly reasonable, I wonder why Mark Sehestedt got a trilogy assigned then? Because I would be surprised to find sales for his two first books having been better than Downshadow and your other two novels.
Don't get me wrong, it is not about depreciating Mark's work. Not at all. And may he be assigned more trilogies in the future, who would object to that?
It is just that if it is about pure sales volume, then it appears strange that he gets assigned a trilogy before you do. That's all.
Anyway, just my two cents on something that does not appear logical to me.

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625

Edited by - skychrome on 30 Mar 2010 22:11:54
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2010 :  23:57:19  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

btw do you know if those encounter adventures will be released as ddi or hardback at some point??
I don't know. Maybe?

I'm gonna try to find out, 'kay?

@skychrome: I have no idea as to whose sales figures are what, beyond the basics (like Bob = unstoppable, Paul = kick-ass bestsellers, etc). All I know is that raising my own sales figures is my best shot at getting more work.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2010 :  14:26:09  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

@skychrome: I have no idea as to whose sales figures are what, beyond the basics (like Bob = unstoppable, Paul = kick-ass bestsellers, etc). All I know is that raising my own sales figures is my best shot at getting more work.

Very well, I have contributed my share to the sales figures approach and I am confident you will get your trilogy in the end.
Apart from that I recommend pestering WoTC all day long to consider a Fox trilogy, as that is a save bet regarding sales numbers. Guess there are few people who do not see her as one of the most popular FR chars.

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2010 :  15:10:18  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Guess there are few people who do not see her as one of the most popular FR chars.
I'm glad to hear you say that, though I haven't seen her mentioned that often, either here at the Keep or on the WotC boards. I think of all my characters as a small and scrappy insurgency.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2010 :  15:20:44  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Guess there are few people who do not see her as one of the most popular FR chars.
I'm glad to hear you say that, though I haven't seen her mentioned that often, either here at the Keep or on the WotC boards. I think of all my characters as a small and scrappy insurgency.
Cheers

That's because she has been main character in one book only so far (Downshadow cannot really count). Erevis Cale was not all over the forums neither when there was only Halls of Stromweather and Shadow's Witness. The first trilogy was required to change that.

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2010 :  15:49:06  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know, I'm kinda thinking from a writing standpoint--particularly with her as-yet unrevealed post-Spellplague history--Twilight actually works better as a supporting character, rather than a main. It frees her up for what I want to do with her: have her be mysterious and aloof, so you never really know what's going on in her head.

It's like how Riven works better as a secondary character. You're constantly guessing whether he's really on the side of the hero (Cale) or setting him up for a betrayal.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2010 :  16:26:40  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like that approach Erik.

That way she won't 'over shadow' my pc's in the Realms.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2010 :  17:33:32  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Damnit Erik, don't try to weasel out of the Fox-novel-series! Or the wrath of all used-books-stores of Waterdeep shall come upon thee (and thou shall be smitten with a copy+5 (adamantine reforced hardcover) of "Adulteries of Lady Alustra"

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2010 :  18:22:17  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

That way she won't 'over shadow' my pc's in the Realms.
Heh. You should worry about her under-shadowing them.

quote:

Damnit Erik, don't try to weasel out of the Fox-novel-series! Or the wrath of all used-books-stores of Waterdeep shall come upon thee (and thou shall be smitten with a copy+5 (adamantine reforced hardcover) of "Adulteries of Lady Alustra"
Oh, I still hope to write at least some of the "Fox and the _________" series. We'll just see what form it takes.

(I also wonder if Twilight doesn't show up in the Adulteries . . .)

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2010 :  19:21:24  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I do think she would, my own moon elven ranger thinks Light is a perv...

an

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Seter
Acolyte

11 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2010 :  10:51:31  Show Profile  Visit Seter's Homepage Send Seter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello there Mr. De Bie :)

I am currently in the process of creating an Elven Bladesinger characrer which I will portray. I have gathered much information about Bladesingers from the Web and from a book from the Fighters Series. I do have certain questions that I didnt find an answer to yet and perhaps you could shed some light there.

1. In several sources there is a mention to the Seven Forms and the Haera(Center) - Both said to be essential for a new Bladesinger trainee to control before moving on in his training. There is no reference however as to what those things really are, certainly not in detail. Any ideas?

2. How does a Bladesinger maintain his control over the Bladesong art? A daily training or was it so drilled into his head that its a second nature by now?

Of course any additional information to the Bladesingers can be most welcomed :)

Thanks in advance!

Edited by - Seter on 26 Apr 2010 10:53:17
Go to Top of Page

Archimedes of Syracuse
Acolyte

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2010 :  12:39:19  Show Profile  Visit Archimedes of Syracuse's Homepage Send Archimedes of Syracuse a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Eric i just wanted to stop by and let you know what an amazing author you are (lol you have heard this many a time but one more probably wont hurt). iv read all 3 of your stand alone books all of which are my favorite of the 4 options. and ghost walker is def my favorite stand alone in all the realms great character development and your action writing style influences mine and should be highly admired. anyways thats about that. OHHHH but if you could, just cause iv been wanting to know since i read it those years ago, what was it like writing ghostwalker rhyn was such a sad character yet had so much life. uhhh you wrote him so well. good day to you eric a fellow tennis lover.

P.s when will you bee getting your own 3 book series i feel like youve been in the realms for a while why has this not happened yet. id love to see you build up a character over the span of 3 books garuntee youd probably over take lisa smedman as my fav FR author if you did.

Edited by - Archimedes of Syracuse on 26 Apr 2010 12:42:47
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2010 :  15:58:24  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met, Seter--

There are lots and lots of different schools of bladesong, so what one person uses can vary widely from what others use. Keith Strohm's Bladesinger, for instance, assumes a different sort of bladesong than any of the styles I've talked about. It's like variant styles of fencing, or martial arts, or anything of that nature.

quote:
Originally posted by Seter

1. In several sources there is a mention to the Seven Forms and the Haera(Center) - Both said to be essential for a new Bladesinger trainee to control before moving on in his training. There is no reference however as to what those things really are, certainly not in detail. Any ideas?
Those aren't ringing any bells, and it's been several years since I read any part of Strohm's Bladesinger (if they're mentioned there). The Haera principle sounds like a meditative/"no mind" state, however, which refers to an important calmness of mind and spirit during swordplay. "Seven Forms" are also reminiscent of the eight parries (or seven, if you don't consider #5 to be a true parry) in fencing, so I suspect that refers to 7 particular bladesinging moves.

Remember that bladesong is also deeply grounded in the rhythm and meter of song, its movements choreographed almost like a ballet for both maximum damage output and minimism of movement--conservation of energy, like any good fighting style is. Whether your bladesinger sings as s/he fights or not, the rhythm of the bladesong is always going on somewhere in her/his mind or subconscious.

For some cinematic inspirations as to how this functions, check out movies like The Last Samurai and Equilibrium.

quote:
2. How does a Bladesinger maintain his control over the Bladesong art? A daily training or was it so drilled into his head that its a second nature by now?
Just as a katana is sharpened with every cut, so a bladesinger reinforces his/her art through constant repetition of songs, practice, and meditation.

quote:
Of course any additional information to the Bladesingers can be most welcomed :)
Check out about 4-5 posts down on this page of my scroll: http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=3930&whichpage=29

Also, hey Archimedes:

quote:
Originally posted by Archimedes of Syracuse
Hey Eric i just wanted to stop by and let you know what an amazing author you are (lol you have heard this many a time but one more probably wont hurt). iv read all 3 of your stand alone books all of which are my favorite of the 4 options. and ghost walker is def my favorite stand alone in all the realms great character development and your action writing style influences mine and should be highly admired.
Thank you sir! I’m glad you enjoy.

quote:
OHHHH but if you could, just cause iv been wanting to know since i read it those years ago, what was it like writing ghostwalker rhyn was such a sad character yet had so much life. uhhh you wrote him so well.
I’m one of those writers who believes that good literature comes from a place of very deep, powerful emotion--in this case, it was pain, which infused my work. The Ghostwalker is very loosely based on a character type I used to run: dark, angsty, and vengeance-driven. Once I had the character firmly developed, everything just unfolded around him, and I wove his story seamlessly as I went along. The whole book just kind of flooded through me, with me being just the vessel. I was writing about my life, about injustices and rectifying them, about finding love and losing it . . . man, it was just a really good, really powerful experience.

quote:
P.s when will you bee getting your own 3 book series i feel like youve been in the realms for a while why has this not happened yet. id love to see you build up a character over the span of 3 books
As for writing a Realms trilogy, that’s entirely up to WotC, my friend. As I continue to publish and my books continue to sell well, it draws more positive attention from the PTB (powers that be). So if you really want to see a Realms trilogy from me, keep buying/reading my stuff (and post reviews/tell your friends/etc as well)!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2010 :  14:35:24  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Erik,

Can you tell a bit more about the crypts (or catacombs?) in 'A Body in a Bag'? Where are those crypts located?

Gomez
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2010 :  05:00:27  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey ERik do you have any tips and advice on writing stories

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2010 :  06:37:16  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gomez, I keep meaning to get a good answer to your question, but I keep running out of time to do it. So here's the answer: Silverymoon (particularly the Silverymoon of 4e) is built on crypts and old ruins just like everywhere else in the Realms. The crypts being utilized in the story represent some of these. The interred dead are centuries old or older.

sfdragon, I have a whole blog post on the subject: http://eriksdb.livejournal.com/218027.html

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2010 :  19:43:04  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm confused by something Erik.
the Tymora article
and the thread with it
http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/24974993/Channel_Divinity:_Tymora

explain to me please.
what is Erevan doing here??

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2010 :  20:22:49  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh hey, I didn't even know that went up.

And ha ha! Erevan gotcha!

It was all a prank.

The correct version should be going up any time now.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 07 Jun 2010 21:45:09
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2010 :  06:31:20  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just thought I'd stop into share a few words:

SHADOWBANE

A Forgotten Realms novel.

Fall 2011.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2010 :  13:10:26  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

SHADOWBANE

Fall 2011.

Cheers

Excuse me while I do a dance. Snoopy Supper-time style!!

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Ruul
Seeker

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2010 :  13:15:19  Show Profile  Visit Ruul's Homepage Send Ruul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great news!!
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2010 :  14:06:18  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

SHADOWBANE

Fall 2011.

Cheers

excellent
execellent

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Ruul
Seeker

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2010 :  14:24:33  Show Profile  Visit Ruul's Homepage Send Ruul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can you give us any more info Erik? Setting, time period, anything at all?? =)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 53 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000