Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Erik Scott de Bie
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 53

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2009 :  08:38:35  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
so who was Silver Fox??

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2009 :  11:15:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
She's one of the "participants" of the Weapon X project.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2009 :  19:41:49  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

so who was Silver Fox??

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

She's one of the "participants" of the Weapon X project.

I knew someone was going to say that!

I won't answer your question directly, SFD, but rather leave it open to speculation.

I will extrapolate out the info in DS: The popular and long-running serialized tale of the Silver Fox (romance/adventure) concerns an elf woman adventurer--the Silver Fox--who can’t help but land in glorious danger with every leap. She lives by her wits annd her charm, and when those don't suffice, her blade.

The currently released volumes include Fox among the Uthgardt (vol 1) and Fox in the Anauroch (vol 8), and there are six more in-between, unnamed. (I believe I have publication dates somewhere, but have misplaced my notes. Sorry!)

These chapbooks (all written by a “fancyname”/pseudonym called Arita, which just means “Silver Fox” in Elvish) chronicle their heroine's life over about 40-50 years, from her youth (Uthgardt, 1330s, about age 40) to maturity (Anauroch takes place around 1375, with the Fox at age 80).

The rumored ninth volume (Fox and the Blue Fire), after a hiatus of some years since the publication of Anauroch, is the talk of Waterdahvian literary circles.

Whether the Silver Fox is based on a real person is something of a question.

Cheers

P.S. Anyone pick up the significance of the other titles? [wink wink]

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2009 :  20:04:08  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yep Depth of madness, and it really is madness I tell you madness

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2009 :  18:54:09  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I meant the titles of the OTHER chapbooks (non-Silver Fox), actually.

I believe Lascivities of a Loveable Lothario is one of Ed's personal favorites.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2009 :  18:55:15  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also wanted to stop in and encourage people to come discuss Downshadow in the Book Club!

I know people are reading it, but there haven't been that many posts in the BC thus far . . . possibly I explained everything so clearly there just aren't any questions, or maybe people aren't inclined to take a break from reading to ask.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2009 :  21:47:01  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is Myrim a deva????

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit

Edited by - sfdragon on 04 May 2009 21:47:24
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2009 :  22:17:08  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's a good question. Myrin's origin will have to remain a bit of a mystery, though I intend to explore it more in the next books.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2009 :  09:30:05  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
well she cant be am air gensai, the ice hair, and the water gensai had the seaweed hair....

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2009 :  09:37:32  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So is volume 7 Fox in Shadowdale?
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2009 :  14:37:30  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@sfdragon: whatever it turns out she is, Myrin is NOT a genasi. Nor is she an orc, elf, dwarf, halfling . . .

@gomez: I couldn't speculate on all the titles right now, but Twilight (who the books are loosely based on) has been to Shadowdale on at least one very memorable occasion.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2009 :  09:25:28  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Maybe she is a reborn Deva? Her looks don't match, but that doesn't say anything, as Fayne demonstrates - I am now just reading the events at the revel.
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2009 :  03:54:32  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
finished downshadow, very enjoyable

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

edappel
Learned Scribe

Brazil
211 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2009 :  16:44:57  Show Profile Send edappel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Erik, do you read the reviews of yours books on Amazon?
I read "downshadow" review and had a good surprise.
3 reviews, two of them 5/5, the other 4/5.

But... look what the "Four star person]" wrote about one thing that he liked on your book:

In Ghostwalker Mr. de Bie showed that he could write a fight scene almost as well as R.A. Salvatore, however in this book he proves he is no longer near the level of Salvatore, but equal to (if not better) than Salvatore. The fight scenes in this book are descriptive, action packed, but more importantly they are realistic.

Congratulations for that. It's hard to find a 4,7/5,0 book on Amazon.com

Probably, on the near future I well buy some autographed copy from you. I'm waiting anxiously to have it on my hands.

--- Ed Appel

*** I'm a brazilian FR fan. So, feel free to correct my writing mistakes to improve my english.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 26 May 2009 :  17:46:09  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Awesome, Ed. Thanks for taking the time to read up on the book.

Yes, I have been blessed by good reviews of my books, this one in particular. Thanks to all those who took the time to share with me how they felt about my work.

That said, we could always use more! If you read DS, like it, and believe in it (or, more probably, you want to see what happens next), post a review! I would count it as a personal favor.

(Plus, you're more likely to secure a walk-on role in my next novel. You'll likely be killed mercilessly within a page or two, but hey. )

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2009 :  01:20:30  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Erik, I will finally get DS shipped down here and I can't wait to read it (thanks to your marketing activities here which come close to psychological torture *drools on the keyboard*)!

I will let you know how I liked it as soon as I finish it.

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2009 :  01:44:28  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excellent. I hope you enjoy.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2009 :  10:47:35  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
so is it possible to use Vindicator to resurrect Helm???

and would you do it given the chance??

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2009 :  15:25:08  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

so is it possible to use Vindicator to resurrect Helm???
and would you do it given the chance??

That's an interesting idea . . . it is indeed possible that the godsword holds some of his essence inside . . .

Whether I'd do it or not depends entirely on the demands of the story and the direction of the Realms. I kinda like Helm's status as a mostly-forgotten deity who still kicks ass from beyond the grave at the moment. Who knows if I'd want him to come back?

CHeers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2009 :  17:37:25  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
never liked Tyr.

dont care to much for Torm.
liked him better than tyr.

liked Helm...

(never betray your trust)

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Erethar
Acolyte

Germany
20 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2009 :  13:08:12  Show Profile  Visit Erethar's Homepage Send Erethar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's some time since I posted here, but i finally tackled Depths of madness and completed it.

First of all, it was a really good read. I liked how the reader is thrown into the unknown and then discovers what's going on along with the protagonists. What I liked as well was how the characters at first seemed a collection of stereotypes but then deepened alongside the way.
As i already read in some reviews, the dungeon IS the main protagonist. Your descriptions set the mood of the various environments very good, I got a very clear picture in my head. Also your approach to the demise of characters was refreshing as you didn't shy away from gory ends to sympathetic figures like the elf.
Another point from a gamers point of view (though I don't play myself) is, that in the End you give a DM a great Adventure Hook in an original setting with lots of possibilities.

The one thing that put a little flaw in the hole thing for me is that I couldn't get warm with the main character - Fox. She goes too intimate too fast for my liking, likewise in the greater treasure. but on the other Side your description of Erevans behavior was brilliant and I think tackled this God exactly as it should.

I look forward to downshadow, which I will read after i finish the twilight war and shield of wheeping ghosts. Keep up the good work!

regards,
Erethar
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2009 :  14:18:47  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erethar

It's some time since I posted here, but i finally tackled Depths of madness and completed it.

Erethar--good to see you again, and I'm glad you enjoyed the book! Thanks for the feedback.

quote:
The one thing that put a little flaw in the hole thing for me is that I couldn't get warm with the main character - Fox. She goes too intimate too fast for my liking, likewise in the greater treasure.

Hmm. Good feedback as well. It's interesting you use the word "intimate"--do you mean that she is quick to establish a deep emotional connection or that she just "moves fast" (i.e., gets sexual with guys she likes very quickly)? Because my intention is to have her use physical intimacy as a way of *avoiding* emotional attachment; i.e., the reason she moves fast is to keep herself from building a relationship with someone.

Whether that works for you or not is a totally separate issue--I just wanted to let you know what I was going for.

I'd be curious to see your reaction to her in my later work . . .

quote:
but on the other Side your description of Erevans behavior was brilliant and I think tackled this God exactly as it should.

Glad you liked it. Erevan is one of my favorites, and it's good to hear that I did him right.

quote:
I look forward to downshadow, which I will read after i finish the twilight war and shield of wheeping ghosts. Keep up the good work!

I will, and I hope you enjoy those books as well!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Erethar
Acolyte

Germany
20 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2009 :  15:37:38  Show Profile  Visit Erethar's Homepage Send Erethar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It was the "move fast" thing. but I must say if she does it to avoid emotional attachment, I don't get it how this will help. And in Depths, it sure didn't worked for her too :)

But I can see that this perhaps comes from the relationship with Erevan which you hinted at. The love of a God combined with betrayals in the past (I interpret the hints on her past like that) can drive one mad ;)

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2009 :  16:30:27  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erethar

It was the "move fast" thing. but I must say if she does it to avoid emotional attachment, I don't get it how this will help.

Well, rushing into physical intimacy before a relationship is sufficiently progressed causes its own problems--usually the ending of said relationship. So Twilight basically scuttles her relationships before they get much of a chance . . . except for the occasions when she meets up with someone who gets really attached to her, in which case it doesn't work and causes her more headaches. (I think "The Greater Treasure" showed an example of the "love-em-and-leave-em" pattern Twilight prefers).

What I'm going for here is to make Twilight self-destructive in a lot of ways--a very flawed anti-heroic sort of character.

quote:
And in Depths, it sure didn't worked for her too :)

Case in point. She saw that she *could* fall in love with this Liet guy, acted to avoid it, failed, and suffered major consequences.

quote:
But I can see that this perhaps comes from the relationship with Erevan which you hinted at. The love of a God combined with betrayals in the past (I interpret the hints on her past like that) can drive one mad ;)

Erevan is not an easy god to know/follow/love.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2009 :  22:35:12  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey all,

This post was spawned in the discussion of there being "too many good looking characters" in the Realms--specifically, I noted that I (as a man) was hard-wired to admire good-looking ladies, and it was observed (about Downshadow specifically) that sometimes I have said good-looking ladies make out. Which I, as a man, don't mind either.

So I wanted to say something about how I treat non-heterosexuality in my novels, but it was a substantial tangent from the discussion at hand. Thus, here:

The sexuality thing is an important issue. I don't make it a habit to *out* my characters (unless it's significant to the plot), meaning their romantic preferences are, generally speaking, a matter of interpretation.

If I include characters who could be interpreted as being attracted to members of the same sex, it isn't because it's titillating for me (though again, ahem!)--it's because I try to be sensitive to the issues (I'm very interested in gender theory) and want to portray my characters the way they should be: as real people with real feelings and characteristics.

(Or you could just view it as everybody being attracted to everybody and huzzah--it is the Realms, after all!)

Though I will confess that I wrote three 100% same-sex-attracted named-characters in Downshadow, but it's very subtle, and I don't really expect anyone to pick up on it.

(Hint: Not Kalen, obviously--or Fayne, who is "greedy.")

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2009 :  20:02:52  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hmmmm Fox at twilight.

never told anyone, but My take on she who gets her p;oint across, always seamed to act like a rebellious daughter.

She isnt Erevan's Daughter is she??

( she problely has used that line on someone.....(

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Erethar
Acolyte

Germany
20 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2009 :  21:18:45  Show Profile  Visit Erethar's Homepage Send Erethar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think not, for in 'The greater treasure' she hints at a sexual relationship with Erevan
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2009 :  01:09:37  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
that would still depend on if she was telling the truth.

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2009 :  07:02:53  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It would be really creepy if I said "yes" to both questions, wouldn't it?

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2009 :  09:44:47  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

It would be really creepy if I said "yes" to both questions, wouldn't it?

Cheers

well if you did, it would explain why she always said his betrayal.......

so no, I wouldnt find it creepy, just strange.....

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 53 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000