Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Erik Scott de Bie
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 53

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2009 :  18:15:58  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So Downshadow is up as the flagship book for April on Wizards.com's book page.

There's also a sample chapter available here: http://ww2.wizards.com/books/Wizards/Products/?doc=240257400

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2009 :  20:23:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Erik Scott de Bie

There's also a sample chapter available here: http://ww2.wizards.com/books/Wizards/Products/?doc=240257400

Cheers

And it's a real link this time, too!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2009 :  01:08:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Cheers

Looking good Erik!

But I'm avoiding the "sample chapter" as I do with every FR book that I'm really looking forward to. I don't want to spoil my experience with reading it later.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2009 :  18:20:03  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I checked it out.

quote:
But Araezra had a great love of kittens, too.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2009 :  19:47:53  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

I checked it out.

quote:
But Araezra had a great love of kittens, too.

Aww.

I thought it was just the prologue, actually, but I guess it's chapter one too. (Or is it JUST chapter one?)

I haven't actually downloaded the sample chapter as yet. (Figure I've read it. )

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2009 :  23:13:02  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I thought it was just the prologue, actually, but I guess it's chapter one too. (Or is it JUST chapter one?)

Prologue and chapter one, apparently.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2009 :  00:13:39  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cool. Thanks for checking for me!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2009 :  00:08:12  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You're welcome.

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2009 :  18:07:36  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For those who haven't read it anywhere yet, it seems Jamallo Kreen passed away rather suddenly over the weekend.

http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12023&whichpage=42

I didn't know JK that well, and had only interacted with him a few times--in this thread and a few others around the site. Our opinions (particularly re: 4e FR) were almost always different, and we would have had great thunderous debates. (I kinda wish we'd had more of those, actually.)

Rest in Peace, Christian--and the rest of us take heart. Do not doubt but that he is exploring far more wonderous worlds than any of us could imagine.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2009 :  00:30:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sure Jamallo would've appreciated that, Erik. Nice.

Do you mind if I include that in the "tribute compilation" I'm putting together for Jamallo? It'll feature some of his best and most informative/thought provoking posts, as well as a tribute from Ed.

Edited by - The Sage on 07 Apr 2009 00:31:31
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2009 :  00:43:22  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Go for it.

You might also add this anecdote, which only occurred to me after the post:

The first time I ever met JK, I called him Jamallo Green by mistake. He took it sort of as a compliment, actually, as an amusing slip that conflated him with Master Green(wood). The thing is, it kind of wasn't entirely unintentional.

He was a good scribe and a worthy voice. He shall be missed.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2009 :  00:43:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Given that it's the 7th [for me at least], and I'm really eager for discussion on this book to begin, I'll note that the Book Club scrolls for Downshadow are now open.

Enjoy.

[Note:- I'll open a discussion scroll for Erik's Wizards.com companion story to Downshadow when it goes live]

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2009 :  01:30:05  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that Sage! I am very much looking forward to it as well.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Erethar
Acolyte

Germany
20 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2009 :  21:02:29  Show Profile  Visit Erethar's Homepage Send Erethar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello there,

THis is my first post here on Candlekeep, so greetings to everyone. I'm a long-time Fan of the Realms, though more on the reading then on the playing part. I#m right now going through a lot of the newer novels, and after i will have City of Splendors finished, I'm looking forward to reading Dephts of Madness. The reviews i read sounded really interesting.

That said I find it amazing to see a place to directly speak with the Authors and even the Creator of the Setting!

But now, before I ramble on and on without hitting the topic:

Mr. de Bie, how did you came into writing for WotC in the first place? was there an open call for an anthology, or did you know someone who know someone?

I'm sorry if this was already asked before (sure it was) but I found nothing and there are a LOT to read in here.

Thanks in Advance,

Erethar
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2009 :  21:17:33  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings, Erethar, and congrats on your first post! Make yourself very welcome in this place.

I got my start writing for the Realms after the Maiden of Pain open call back in 2003 (or around there). WotC was looking for a novel for their priests series, and they opened it up to submissions from the public. I didn't "win" that call (that honor fell to Kameron Franklin), but WotC liked my submission enough that they kept my name on hand for a latter, smaller, closed call (of about 20-30 people) for a fighters novel and a wizards novel. Mine was one of the two submissions chosen, and it became Ghostwalker, my first novel.

I had previously sent in a sample of my writing, so that WotC could see my style. It didn't turn into an anthology entry or a novel or anything, but that might have been at the back of someone's mind as well when they looked at my submission.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Erethar
Acolyte

Germany
20 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2009 :  21:30:38  Show Profile  Visit Erethar's Homepage Send Erethar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First, thank you for your quick replay, it was quite enlightening.

But to clarify some things for me, did you send the sample in unsolicited?

I must admit I would love to write something that gets published (so my congratulations on that) but one has to keep realistic: aside from not having written anything of importance yet, i have the language barrier as another wall of spiked iron before me. Regrettably the market for german publishing is not as good, plus my absolute favorite sub-genre is english only - P&P novelisation, FR in particular. We have with DSA a german setting, but it doesn't appeal to me like FR does.

Again I'm sorry for my rambling, so let me give you my best wishes for downshadow, hope it will be a success. I read the sample chapter on wizards.com an it got me interested, but My reading order at the moment ist Your depths of madness, then on to Blackstaff tower and mistshore, after that i think i will give Downshadow a try.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2009 :  22:28:24  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They were both solicited calls, yeah, even if the first was very open ("anyone and everyone, please submit!"). I don't think WotC is looking for any new writers at the moment--at least not for the Realms. The publishing department has contracted in the recent economic crisis and I think it'll be a while before they're looking for fresh blood again.

Besides, why not just write your own fantasy? I appreciate that the german markets are difficult, but publishing through WotC is party to its own severe hindrances. For a first, if you write an FR story, there's only one company in the world who'll be able to print it--and if they don't want it, they don't want it. I've thought up at least 15 FR novels since I started publishing in 2005, and I've published 3 of them now. It's not that they don't *want* to do your stuff (though sometimes they don't like an idea you really like)--they just don't have space. You think I'm content with one novel every 1.5 years? Nuh-uh!

This can be avoided by writing your own stuff in your own setting. Not only will you be able to sell it to whoever you want (and probably get a better deal), but you'll be able to tell whatever story you want, with whatever characters/creatures/rules you want, with no one to tell you not to. (Well, your editor might prune you a little--but you see where I'm coming from?)

Not that I want to chase you away from FR, but please--expand your horizons to include other stuff as well. There are LOTS of sword-and-sorcery fantasy stories out there, and you should keep reading them. If FR is your cup of tea, then great--more power to you. But don't LIMIT yourself to just this one setting.

Cheers

P.S. And as far as English goes, you seem quite adept to me. I think as you work more and more, you will just get better and better. Also, an editor will help you (particularly if you're publishing in an American market). You might try to get a translator to help you translate your draft from German to English, if you write in German. It wouldn't be a bad thing to do anyway, since that way you can smooth out any "germanisms" that will crop up. I did this a lot in college with papers written by first-language Japanese students--the english articles "a" and "the" cause a LOT of trouble for Japanese-English papers, for instance. You may be able to polish up a manuscript immensely with such a consultation.

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2009 :  03:55:45  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For those of you interested, check out this thread about the contest on my blog: http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=12382

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2009 :  18:25:17  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have not read any FR lately...looks like that is going to change with what arrived on my porch yesterday!

Time to delve into Downshadow at last......Erik you must forgive me if I finish my current read first! ( John Stienback's the Acts of King Arthur and His Noble Knights)

See you in the book club!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2009 :  07:50:41  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This comes from a conversation in Ed's scroll:

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Oooh! Tantalising right to the last moment, eh Erik?

Isn't that just so me?

And I'll give a classic Erik Scott de Bie answer to this question:
quote:
I especially like hearing about the part re: the chapbooks. Do you happen to name any of them specifically? I'd love to add them to the "Candlekeep Book List" that I'm re-compiling.

Yes.

Oh man . . . that's just mean. Better follow it up with:

At least 10 of them.

quote:
Originally posted by Zandilar

Oooh, a clock! Is this a magical clock or a clockwork clock? (I don't recall Waterdeep having a clock tower, so I presume this is a post-100 year leap development)... Have they managed to make clockwork small enough for watches by then?

Err... I mean, I hate the 4th Ed Realms and I want nothing to do with them! (I still would love to see the answer to that question...)

LOL moment!

It is a clockwork clock, based on designs created by the main character of the Watercourse trilogy from 100 years ago. The clock is named somewhat uncreatively "Timehands" (but 'tis a sensible name, considering the novelty, so that people would know what it does, as I figure most people haven't seen a clock).

quote:
(Hmm... I'm definitely going to be keeping my eye out for Downshadow here in Australia. Anyone know if it's out here yet? Or is it something I'm going to have to order specially?)

What Sage said. I hope you can get your hands on it.

I suspect, vis a vis some of our other conversations, that certain aspects of this book will be quite gratifying for you particularly. But I wouldn't want to speak too much to that point--we'll see how you like it.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Zandilar
Learned Scribe

Australia
313 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2009 :  08:00:10  Show Profile  Visit Zandilar's Homepage Send Zandilar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heya,

quote:
LOL moment!

quote:

It is a clockwork clock, based on designs created by the main character of the Watercourse trilogy from 100 years ago. The clock is named somewhat uncreatively "Timehands" (but 'tis a sensible name, considering the novelty, so that people would know what it does, as I figure most people haven't seen a clock).

Hmm... Interesting. When was the tower built? It sounds like something I might incorporate into (my) Waterdeep at some point in the non-Spellplague future of (my) Realms.

quote:
What Sage said. I hope you can get your hands on it.

I suspect, vis a vis some of our other conversations, that certain aspects of this book will be quite gratifying for you particularly. But I wouldn't want to speak too much to that point--we'll see how you like it.

I'll let you know what I think when I manage to get it and read it.

Zandilar
~amor vincit omnia~
~audaces fortuna iuvat~

As the spell ends, you look up into the sky to see the sun blazing overhead like noon in a desert. Then something else in the sky catches your attention. Turning your gaze, you see a tawny furred kitten bounding across the sky towards the new sun. Her eyes glint a mischevious green as she pounces on it as if it were nothing but a colossal ball of golden yarn. With quick strokes of her paws, it is batted across the sky, back and forth. Then with a wink the kitten and the sun disappear, leaving the citizens of Elversult gazing up with amazed expressions that quickly turn into chortles and mirth.

The Sunlord left Elversult the same day in humilitation, and was never heard from again.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2009 :  14:58:39  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zandilar

Hmm... Interesting. When was the tower built? It sounds like something I might incorporate into (my) Waterdeep at some point in the non-Spellplague future of (my) Realms.

As would certainly be your prerogative, good lady!

I don't have a clear answer for you, however. In one of Candlekeep's great ironies, I suggest we go back to Ed's scroll and inquire there. In fact . . .

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2009 :  14:59:17  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And I'll give a classic Erik Scott de Bie answer to this question:
We may have to start a FAQ listing for those, I think.
quote:
At least 10 of them.
Neat. I'll hold off on handing the near complete "Candlekeep Tome" listing to Alaundo for the time being. I'll want to include these new chapbooks as well.

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2009 :  15:17:18  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I could give you the full list now, but that would be telling--and I wouldn't want to spoil any portion of the book for you.

Let's just say that I have a full list, filled out with authors and historical notes (some more than others).

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

scererar
Master of Realmslore

USA
1618 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2009 :  05:57:04  Show Profile Send scererar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Erik, Just read your short story on the WOTC web site. Most excellent.

Edited by - scererar on 13 Apr 2009 05:57:28
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2009 :  06:20:26  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think you mean the sample chapter? I don't think they've posted the companion story yet.

If you liked the sample chapter, you'd like the book. It's all like that.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2009 :  07:24:17  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
its up

http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/4dnd/20090413

ohs and I bought a copy of your book

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234

Edited by - sfdragon on 13 Apr 2009 07:25:00
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2009 :  11:25:14  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, good.

And I've opened the Book Club scroll for the story, so interested scribes can discuss it there.

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2009 :  15:30:04  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sweet! I shall redirect folks.

Grim Statue image looks particularly nice on this page.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2009 :  15:56:21  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Interestingly enough, Malar's "Exarch" status and slight decrease in power may have also allowed the NMP to focus almost exclusively on Shar. Something the Selūnites may not be happy with.

I'm not sure if Malar really seems that 'less powerful' from a mortal's viewpoint, given that he still has large amounts of folk following him - noteably in Dambrath (where they oftentimes also worship Selune, quite posisbly in unison), but also some of the savage races, such as the gnolls.
Of course, the worship of Malar does not necessarily mean a total evotion to his evil side. Malar represents many things, some of which are, at their basis, neutral aspects of nature.
But a darker 'fight fire with fire' kind of NMP would likely consider Malar's threat - moral wise - of less import.If they are sufficiently divorced from Selune as to not have the more valient clerics (or invokers, or paladins) among them, then they might even consider cooperating with Malarites, as long as they fight against a common enemy?

Gomez,
who ordered Downshadow... should be in the shop next week.

Edited by - gomez on 13 Apr 2009 15:59:54
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 53 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000