Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Novels
 Novel Areas
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Smyther
Learned Scribe

Canada
121 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2005 :  23:26:36  Show Profile  Visit Smyther's Homepage Send Smyther a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well, as my first post on the archives (which I have actually been reading for some time but never joined), I'd like to pose a wide reaching question. Which areas of Faerun are covered by the novels? I ask this because I am looking at writing fiction in the realms (and maybe trying to get published), and I want to know where I can write without pre-existing books barging in. Specifically, I am interested in the areas of Erlkazar, the Forest of Lethyr, and the desert of Raurin.

But, the whole spectrum should be considered, I think. Here's my list so far:

Dark Elf Trilogy: Menzoberranzan, the northern Underdark, and the area south of Sundabar.
Icewind Dale Trilogy: Icewind Dale, the far north, and the Sea of Swords to Calimshan.
Legacy of the Drow Quartet: ?
Paths of Darkness Quartet: Calimport, and more mentioned above.
The Hunter's Blades Trilogy: Citadel Abdar and more of the North, (Lone Drow?), (Two Swords?)

Daughter of the Drow: Menzoberranzan, High Forest, Skullport

The Cleric Quintet: Snowflake Mountains, Caradoon, Shilmista (yes, technically part of Erlkazar, but doesn't delve in)

Avatar Series: From Arabel to Shadowdale, from Shadowdale to Tantras, Tantras to Waterdeep, Fugue Plane and other godly domains, (Crucible ?)

Elminster: Making of a Mage: Ancient Athalantar, south of High Forest

Counselors and Kings Trilogy: Halruua, (Floodgate?), (Wizardwar?)

Moonshae Trilogy: Moonshae Isles
Druidhome Trilogy: ?

Silverfall (disgusted by the book, by the way. Don't like Greenwood's work): Waterdeep, Aglarond/Thay, Sembia

Children of Bhaal Saga (It's canon by me): Baldur's Gate to Nashkel, Athkatla and immediate area, the Wealdath and Saradush.

City of Raven's Bluff: Raven's Bluff (duh)

These are the books I know of/have read, so please add any others to the list.

So sayeth the Smyther, the Dark Bard of Amn.

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2005 :  00:00:31  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Evermeet: Evermeet (duh!)

Erevis Cale trilogy: Selgaunt, Starmantle, Plane of Shadows (does it count as part of Faerun?) and Skullport.

Hmm... if you REALLY want details in a region or city, I highly recommend you to read the Scions of Arrabar trilogy. Thomas M. Reid is a fantastic author when it comes to description and from reading the novels in that series he painted a very good picture of the settings.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2005 :  00:09:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Druidhome trilogy is also set in the Moonshaes.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Smyther
Learned Scribe

Canada
121 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2005 :  03:44:59  Show Profile  Visit Smyther's Homepage Send Smyther a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Quick responses!
Well, I suppose a better question would be: which areas (in general, like the country) HAVEN'T been written about in novel?
PS, just found out that the Great Dale/Forest of Lethyr was written about in Lady of Poison. Drats. And even though Faces of Deception starts in Erlkazar, does it actually have anything about the country, or does the guy just leave on his journey immediately?

Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2005 :  03:58:57  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, the only places I'm sure that has NEVER been mentioned in novels have to be Zakhara (sp?) and Kara-Tur. Hopefully, this will change in the future...

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2005 :  05:11:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101

Well, the only places I'm sure that has NEVER been mentioned in novels have to be Zakhara (sp?) and Kara-Tur. Hopefully, this will change in the future...

Sorry, but that is incorrect.

Dragonwall was set almost entirely in Shou Lung, and the Dragonwall was in fact breached at the end of Horselords.

While I don't know of any novels set in Zakhara, I know it's been at least mentioned in novels. The Lathanderite paladin Holly Harrowslough was half-Zakharan -- her father was from there. This was mentioned in Finder's Bane.

Oh, and another further bit of clarification for your list: The Counselors & Kings books were set almost entirely in Halruaa. There was a little that happened in Dambrath, right at the border, but the rest was in Halruaa.

Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2005 :  15:22:10  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Steven Schend is the sole creator of and authority on Erlkazar; he created it as a setting for Stephen Bourne's module N3 Destiny of Kings.

If you don't like Ed's work, you're out of sympathy with the Realms and should find a world you actually like to write for. Do you really think Wizards should or would publish a novel set in Ed's Raurin desert written by someone disgusted by his writing?
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2005 :  18:27:14  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I believe, but it's been years since I read it and I hated that novel, that Once Around the Realms also has scenes in Zakhara and Kara-tur......

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

wwwwwww
Learned Scribe

116 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2005 :  18:44:09  Show Profile  Visit wwwwwww's Homepage Send wwwwwww a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

I believe, but it's been years since I read it and I hated that novel, that Once Around the Realms also has scenes in Zakhara and Kara-tur......

Perhaps we should forbid any mention of that particular novel.
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2005 :  18:57:21  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

I think this is also a great idea to collate a list of all Realms novels and state in which locations the novel is set. We could then keep this list on a permanent scroll at Candlekeep for those who mayhaps wish to read about a particular area.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Smyther
Learned Scribe

Canada
121 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2005 :  22:40:15  Show Profile  Visit Smyther's Homepage Send Smyther a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@Alaundo: That is sort of what I was thinking, too. I can hardly contribute any more than the books I have read (above), and research into which books take place where will not reveal as much as READING them.

@Faraer: It's not the realms or his ideas that I don't like. It's his writing style. (Making of a Mage dragged on soooo long for me, and Silverfall nearly made my eyes pop out with the sex involved in the seven sisters. I don't like that many sexual references in a book, but perhaps 'disgust' is too strong a word.)

Destiny of Kings? Does that have any solid information on Erlkazar? Or his maybe translatable to story? I did a novelization of the Marco Volo trilogy (150 pages book size, hardly really a novel), and I could do the same - for my own interest. I considered doing story versions of Castle Spulzeer and For Duty and Deity, but I don't have access to The Forgotten Terror and Tales of the Infinite Staircase, which are highly recommended products for the two modules.

Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2005 :  00:05:15  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Dragonwall was set almost entirely in Shou Lung, and the Dragonwall was in fact breached at the end of Horselords.

Was it? Hmm... I've never read it. Are these two books part of like the series that takes about the Tuigan invasion?

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2005 :  01:11:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Was it? Hmm... I've never read it. Are these two books part of like the series that takes about the Tuigan invasion?

Indeed. The horde starts moving in Horselords, punching thru the Dragonwall at the end of the book. In Dragonwall, they romp thru Shou Lung, eating up anything thrown at them. Then they head west, striking a deal with Thay and moving into Rashemen. In Crusade, King Azoun IV puts together a coalition of several nations and city-states, and they meet the Horde and stop them.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2005 :  01:15:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

If you don't like Ed's work, you're out of sympathy with the Realms and should find a world you actually like to write for. Do you really think Wizards should or would publish a novel set in Ed's Raurin desert written by someone disgusted by his writing?

To be quite honest, I've never been a huge fan of his novels, either. Elminster's Daughter was the first one I really liked. However, after everything that the lovely Lady Hooded One has said, I'd be willing to give those books a second shot if they were published as Ed had originally written them...

Go to Top of Page

Smyther
Learned Scribe

Canada
121 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2005 :  04:01:29  Show Profile  Visit Smyther's Homepage Send Smyther a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, so the list of books and locations is as follows, to be edited later:

Homeland: Menzoberranzen
Exile: North Underdark
Homeland: Sundabar to Moonwood
Crystal Shard: Icewind Dale
Streams of Silver: Icewind Dale, Evermoors, Mithril Hall
Halfling's Gem: Luskan to Calimport
Legacy: Menzoberranzan
Starless Night: Menzoberranzan, Blingdenstone
Siege of Darkness: Mithril Hall, Menzoberranzan, The Spirit Soaring, Icewind Dale
Passage to Dawn: The Sea of Swords, Luskan, Waterdeep
Silent Blade: Icewind Dale, Calimport, Luskan
Spine of the World: Luskan
Servant of the Shard: Underdark, Calimshan
Sea of Swords: Sword Coast
Thousand Orcs: The North, Citadel Abdar
Lone Drow: Mithril Hall and Area
Two Swords: Mithril Hall, The Silver Marches

Daughter of the Drow: Menzoberranzan, High Forest, Skullport
Tangled Webs: Ruathym, Luskan
Windwalker: Rasheman

Canticle: Edificant Library, Castle Trinity
In Sylvan Shadows: Shilmista
Night Masks: Westgate, Caradoon
Fallen Fortress: Castle Trinity
Chaos Curse: Edificant Library/Spirit Soaring

Shadowdale: Arabel to Shadowdale
Tantras: Shadowdale to Tantras
Waterdeep: Tantras to Waterdeep
Prince of Lies: Fugue Plane, Godly Realms, Zhentil Keep
Crucible - Trial of Cyric the Mad: Candlekeep, Eversult, Zhentil Keep, City of the Dead, Pavillion of Cynosure

Azure Bonds: Suzail, Shadowdale, Yhaunn, Westgate, Cormanthor
Wyvern's Spur: Immersea
Song of the Sauriels: Shadowdale, The Lost Vale

Parched Sea: Anauroch
Elfshadow: Evereska, Waterdeep
Red Magic: Thay
Night Parade: Arabel, Calimport
Ring of Winter: Suzail, Mezro, Chult
Crypt of the Shadowking: Iriaebor
Soldiers of Ice: Valley of Samek
Elfsong: Waterdeep
Crown of Fire: Cormyr, Citadel of Ravens
Masquerades: Westgate
Curse of the Shadow Mage: Iraiebor
Veiled Dragon: Eversult
Silver Shadows: Tethyr
Stormlight: Firefall Keep in Cormyr, Shadowdale
Finder's Bane: Daggerdale, Temple of the Sky, Anauroch, Outer Planes, Sigil
Thornhold: Waterdeep
Dream Spheres: Waterdeep, Skullport

Dissolution: Menzoberranzan
Insurrection: Menzoberranzan to Ched Nasad
Condemnation: Menzoberranzan outskirts, Grackstuglh outskirts, Cormanthor, Anaurouch, Chaulssin, Demonweb Pits
Extinction: Menzoberranzan, Velarswood, Cormanthor, Cold Fields
Annihilation: ?
(Ressurection)

Shadows of Doom: Dalelands, Plane of Shadow, Spellguard
Cloak of Shadows: Dalelands, Plane of Shadow
All Shadows Fled: Dalelands, Plane of Shadow

Elminster - Making of a Mage: Athalantar
Elminster in Myth Drannor: Myth Drannor
Temptation of Elminster: Myth Drannor, Wizard's Reach, Dragon Coast, Starmantle
Elminster in Hell: The Nine Hells
Elminster's Daughter: Waterdeep, Marsember, Suzail, Mouth O' Gargoyles, King's Forest, Shadowdale

Abduction: Waterdeep
Paladins: The Utter East
Mercenaries: The Utter East
Errand of Mercy: The Utter East
An Opportunity for Profit: The Utter East
Conspiracy: The Utter East
Uneasy Alliances: ?
Easy Betrayals: ?
Diamond: ?

Murder in Cormyr: Ghars, the Vast Swamp
Murder in Halruaa: ? (guessing Halruaa)

Alabaster Staff: Unther
Black Bouquet: Oeble of the Border Kingdoms
Crimson Gold: Thay
Yellow Silk: Altumbel

Twilight Falling: Selgaunt, Starmantle, Plane of Shadows, Skullport
Dawn of Night: Selgaunt, Starmantle, Plane of Shadows, Skullport
(Midnight's Mask)

Forsaken House: High Forest, Evereska, Evermeet
(Farthest Reach)
(Final Gate)

City of Ravens: Raven's Bluff
Temple Hill: Eversult
Jewel of Turmish: Alaghon
(City of Splendors): Waterdeep

Sword Play: Netherese Empire
Dangerous Games: Netherese Empire
Mortal Consequences: Netherese Empire

Lady of Poison: The Great Dale
Mistress of the Night: Yhaunn in Sembia
Maiden of Pain: Luthcheq and Mordulkin in Chessenta, and Bezantur in Thay
(Queen of the Depths)

Sapphire Cresent: Arrabar
Ruby Guardian: Arrabar
(Emerald Scepter)

Venom's Taste: Hlondeth in the Vilhon Reach
Viper's Kiss: Sespech, Mimph, Ormpetarr
(Vanity's Brood)

(Whisper of Waves): Innarlith
(Lies of Light): Innarlith
(Screams of Stone): Innarlith

Cormyr - A Novel: Cormyr
Beyond the High Road: Cormyr
Death of the Dragon: Cormyr

Lost Library of Cormanthyr: Cormyr, Mistledale, Waterdeep, Candlekeep, Trackless Sea
Faces of Deception: Erlkazar to Kara-Tur
Star of Cursrah: Cursrah, Calimshan
Nether Scroll: Weathercote Wood, Dekanter

King Pinch: Ankhapur
War in Tethyr: Zazzespur
Escape from Undermountain: Waterdeep, Undermountain
Mage in the Iron Mask: Mulmaster
Council of Blades: Blade Kingdoms
Simbul's Gift: ?

Darkwalker on Moonshae: Moonshae Isles
Black Wizards: Moonshae Isles
Darkwell: Moonshae Isles
Prophet of Moonshae: Moonshae Isles
Coral Kingdom: Moonshae Isles
Druid Queen: Moonshae Isles

Summoning: Evereska, Cormyr, Anauroch, City of Shade
Siege: Evereska, Cormyr, Anauroch, City of Shade
Sorcerer: Evereska, Cormyr, Anauroch, City of Shade

Pool of Radiance: Phlan
Pools of Darkness: ?
Pool of Twilight: ?
Pool of Radiance II - Ruins of Myth Drannor: New Phlan, Myth Drannor

Ironhelm: Maztica
Viperhand: Maztica
Feathered Dragon: Maztica

Rising Tide: Shining Sea
Under Fallen Stars: The Sword Coast, Baldur's Gate
Sea Devil's Eye: Sea of Fallen Stars, Immurk's Hold, Dragonisle, Myth Nantar, Whamite Isles

Evermeet - Island of the Elves: Evermeet

Silverfall: Waterdeep, Sembia, Aglarond, Thay

Shadow Stone: Old Empires, Chessenta

Glass Prison: Abyss, Tilverton, Thunder Peaks, Ravenwitch's Tree, Chare'en's Tomb

Magehound: Halruaa
Floodgate: Halruaa
Wizardwar: Halruaa

Ogre's Pact: The Ice Spires
Giant Amoung Us: The Ice Spires
Titan of Twilight: The Ice Spires, Twilight Vale

Horselords: Kara-Tur
Dragonwall: Kara-Tur
Crusade: Endless Wastes

Halls of Stormweather: Sembia
Shadow's Witness: Sembia
Shattered Mask: Sembia
Black Wolf: Sembia
Heirs of Prophecy: Sembia
Sands of the Soul: Calimport
Lord of Stormweather: Sembia

Baldur's Gate: Baldur's Gate, Candlekeep, Nashkel
Baldur's Gate II: Athkatla, Brynnlaw, Suldenesselar
Baldur's Gate II - Throne of Bhaal: Wealdath, Saradush

Tymora's Luck: Cormyr, Waterdeep, Outer Planes

Hand of Fire: Mirt's Mansion, Castle Waterdeep, Waterdeep, Maimed Wizard's Stronghold, Trade Way, Triel, Eveningstar, Scornubel

(Master of Chains): Erlkazar
(Ghostwalker): Quaervarr, Moonwood, Silver Marches
(Son of Thunder): High Forest
(Bladesinger): ?

(Bloodwalker): Border Kingdoms, Shaar

(Depths of Madness): Depths of Madness

Vampire of the Mists: Waterdeep, Asylum, Ravenloft

Tell me any missing information, corrections, and additions, please!

Edited by - Smyther on 06 Jul 2005 22:21:26
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2005 :  04:14:43  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Smyther, as a longtime friend of Ed’s who got started in the Realms before TSR published it, after reading some of Ed’s fantasy short stories and getting hooked, I think you’re wrong about Ed’s writing.
NOT because you think Silverfall was too racy or The Making Of A Mage was too long (just to show you that the old “different strokes” saying applies, *I* thought Silverfall was too tame and Making Of A Mage way too short ), but because Ed Greenwood is the one Realms writer whose published fiction displays a WIDE variety of styles.
If you check out the forthcoming mass market paperback collection The Best of the Realms II: The Best of Ed Greenwood, which should hit the bookstore shelves in June or late May, you’ll see stories that DON’T feel as if they’ve all been written by the same person. Truly.
By the way, I disagree with the title of that book: it contains some gems but by no means Ed’s best (there’s one story I read back in the late 1970s that I consider better than anything of Ed’s that TSR or WotC has ever published). Ed has also garnered some Honorable Mentions in The Year’s Best Fantasy and Horror annual collections, for, yes, horror stories (some of them written for teens). He’s written pulp adventure, superhero stories, Arthurian fantasy, Cthulhu-style horror, first-person smartass urban horror, hard sf, high fantasy (for the World Fantasy Convention programme, a few years back) and even romance, and his prose style isn’t anything like “always the same.” He’s even ghost-collaborated with other established writers (usually finishing things they died before completing), doing so tracelessly, so far as my critical editor’s eye - - and yes, one of the professional hats I wear is as a novel editor - - is concerned.
So he doesn’t have a single writing style for you to dislike.

Moreover, like his writing or hate it, if you want to write stories set in the Realms you’d better read Ed Greenwood’s books (because Ed IS the Realms, and it’s hard to get a real picture of the setting if you try to avoid Ed’s works). Many of the writers active in the Realms right now consult with him or even send their early draft mansucripts to him for his suggestions.

I suspect Mr. Archer, in the current WotC open call, will be more swayed by dynamite writing than by someone knowing arcane Realmslore and stuffing it into their work to signal they ‘really know’ the Realms, but if you try to dismiss, ignore, or avoid Ed’s writing, and you want to write in the Realms, you’ll be really hurting yourself.

My own judgement of the current Realms writing situation is that WotC is uninterested in books set in, and dominated by the cultures of, Maztica, Kara-Tur, or even Zakhara. They want mainland Faerûn, and really want the Heartlands. Telling a small-scope (as opposed to a kingdom-overthrowing, armies-marching story) story well, in a town or village not yet featured in print, would probably go over well. If your characters are interesting and you have a strong adventure tale to tell with them, everything else is secondary.

And, hey, you can even wander over to the Questions for Ed Greenwood thread and ask him things (I shuttle posts there to him, and deliver his replies back). He won’t bite or snarl, even if you start out by saying how much you dislike his writing. Really.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2005 :  04:47:22  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

My own judgement of the current Realms writing situation is that WotC is uninterested in books set in, and dominated by the cultures of, Maztica, Kara-Tur, or even Zakhara. They want mainland Faerûn, and really want the Heartlands. Telling a small-scope (as opposed to a kingdom-overthrowing, armies-marching story) story well, in a town or village not yet featured in print, would probably go over well. If your characters are interesting and you have a strong adventure tale to tell with them, everything else is secondary.

And really, in some ways I find small-scale adventure stories more enjoyable to read than "Realms-shaking" ones. As long as I care about the characters, everything else follows.

And I agree with Faraer and the Hooded One about Ed Greenwood's writing...personally, I don't think any Realms author captures the feel of the Realms quite the way Ed does. Not to mention his books make me laugh out loud which is always a good thing.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Winterfox
Senior Scribe

895 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2005 :  05:32:46  Show Profile  Visit Winterfox's Homepage Send Winterfox a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Daughter of the Drow: Menzoberranzan, Rasheman, High Forest, Skullport
Tangled Webs: ?
Windwalker: ?

Tangled Webs: mostly Ruathym, with some Luskan thrown in. DotD doesn't have much Rashemen, but Windwalker is set mostly in it.

quote:
Elfshadow: ?

Evereska and Waterdeep.

quote:
Elfsong: ?

More Waterdeep. And uhm... I can't remember. Ouch.

quote:
Crown of Fire: ?

Cormyr, Citadel of the Ravens.

quote:
Silver Shadows: ?

Tethyr.

quote:
Dream Spheres: ?

Waterdeep and Skullport.

quote:
Crimson Gold: ?

Thay.

quote:
Forsaken House: ?

The High Forest, Evereska, and Evermeet.

quote:
Summoning: ?
Siege: ?
Sorcerer: ?

Evereska, some Cormyr, the desert of Anauroch, and the city of Shade.

quote:
Rising Tide: ?
Under Fallen Stars: ?
Sea Devil's Eye: ?

Can't remember much, but am sure Baldur's Gate is in there.

quote:
Halls of Stormweather: ?
Shadow's Witness: ?
Shattered Mask: ?
Black Wolf: ?
Heirs of Prophecy: ?
Sands of the Soul: ?
Lord of Stormweather: ?

Sembia, although Sands of the Soul takes place mostly in Calimport.

*winces* That wasn't very complete; give me some days to skim through some of those books and I'll come back to add more.

Edited by - Winterfox on 11 Feb 2005 06:13:31
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2005 :  06:08:48  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Stormlight: Cormyr

Elminster's Daughter: a little Waterdeep, mostly Cormyr

The Alabaster Staff: Unther

The Black Bouquet: Oeble (Border Kingdoms)

The Yellow Silk: Altumbel

Temple Hill: Eversult

Mistress of the Night: Sembia

Venom's Taste: Hlondeth (Vilhon Reach)

Tymora's Luck: Most of the important events take place on other planes, though there are references to Cormyr and if I recall correctly, Waterdeep

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2005 :  06:41:18  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Stormlight: Cormyr

Firefall Keep in Cormyr to be precise. There are also bits in Shadowdale.

quote:

Mistress of the Night: Sembia

Yhaunn in Sembia.
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2005 :  06:53:50  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Right, but I didn't know how specific Smyther wanted us to be.

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2005 :  20:30:07  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
One online project I've long wished to see was a map of Faerun designed so that you can click on a given area and go to a list of novels and game products featuring that particular area.

It'd be a massive project to set up, and it would require monthly updating, but what a great resource AND marketing tool that could be!
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2005 :  20:56:01  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham
It'd be a massive project to set up, and it would require monthly updating, but what a great resource AND marketing tool that could be!

That would be a wonderful resource that FR fans could refer any interested reader to.
Go to Top of Page

Kameron M. Franklin
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2005 :  22:41:27  Show Profile  Visit Kameron M. Franklin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Maiden of Pain: Chessenta (Luthcheq and some Mordulkin) and a little bit of Thay (Bezantur).

"You keep saying that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." --Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
Go to Top of Page

Smyther
Learned Scribe

Canada
121 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2005 :  22:59:20  Show Profile  Visit Smyther's Homepage Send Smyther a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, thanks for the information so far; my list post above has been updated now. (Woo, something from Kameron! Can't wait to see the work of a fellow WotC Boarder!)

The idea of a map resource with novels IS a good idea, though it would take somebody far more web-savvy than I. It could be done when this list is complete.

As for accuracy, general area is okay, but for heavily done areas like Sembia and Cormyr, the more specific the better. No street names, though ;)

With regards to Greenwood's work, I didn't know that he does so many styles. Maybe I'll give a few pieces an impartial shot. But this isn't the forum for discussing his work. PM, maybe, or another topic, but let's try and keep on track.

Go to Top of Page

Kameron M. Franklin
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2005 :  01:01:02  Show Profile  Visit Kameron M. Franklin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Smyther

Well, thanks for the information so far; my list post above has been updated now. (Woo, something from Kameron! Can't wait to see the work of a fellow WotC Boarder!)

The idea of a map resource with novels IS a good idea, though it would take somebody far more web-savvy than I. It could be done when this list is complete.

You're welcome, and I hope everyone enjoys Maiden.

I created something similar to the map proposed for a homebrew campaign. When people would mouseover a particular area, they would get a popup with a brief description. It was all done in Adobe Image Ready using Javascript rollovers and "hotspots" on an imagemap, though I'm sure someone with a good grasp of Flash could do it a lot prettier.

"You keep saying that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." --Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2005 :  10:22:21  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

One online project I've long wished to see was a map of Faerun designed so that you can click on a given area and go to a list of novels and game products featuring that particular area.

Hmmmmmmmm

::wanders off scribbling notes and takes out tool-roll::

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep

Edited by - Alaundo on 12 Feb 2005 10:24:56
Go to Top of Page

Paec_djinn
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2005 :  12:27:58  Show Profile  Visit Paec_djinn's Homepage Send Paec_djinn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, my first post on the forums. What you're doing here is kinda cool for everyone. Just a note that PoR: Ruins of Myth Drannor begins at New Phlan for about 1 or 2 chapters and moves on to the ruins later.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2005 :  14:24:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paec_djinn

Hey, my first post on the forums.

Welcome to Candlekeep!

Go to Top of Page

Smyther
Learned Scribe

Canada
121 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2005 :  03:07:52  Show Profile  Visit Smyther's Homepage Send Smyther a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anybody else that can chip in? Surely there are people who have read more than the books already mention, what with this being *Candlekeep.*

Happy Valentine's Day, by the way. May you be married in secret by an eccentric priest under a strict regime. Oh, wait, that's the modern world.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2005 :  05:39:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Smyther

Anybody else that can chip in? Surely there are people who have read more than the books already mention, what with this being *Candlekeep.*

Perhaps a recap, listing the books not yet mentioned, is in order?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000