Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Eric L Boyd
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 48

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2007 :  14:04:04  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zanan

Vendui!

Thanks for that info. So ... that sword has been retrieved by the House from Maerimydra (where it is mentioned to be resting in Lost Empires of Faerūn) before the latter fell? Nice to see such a continuety in the history of that region.

Yep.

quote:
Am I right in expecting that the House has a stronghold beyond Maerimydra then? My Shadowdale has not yet arrived, so I do not know whether there's any info in there.

The intent of the adventure is that the current primary stronghold of House Dhuurniv is directly beneath the Twisted Tower (to be explored by the PCs). So that the PCs don't have to wade through hordes of low-level drow, the adventure indicates that the bulk of the drow forces are scattered through the Shadowdark in small nomadic bands. (I think this is more consistent with the diaspora anyway.) However, you could certainly go with the idea that there's a larger stronghold down in the depths and have the PCs go there after the adventure is over (rather than follow the Anauroch adventure).

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2007 :  22:43:58  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric, I'm enjoying reading the adventure, with reservations, and I'll try to write up some detailed feedback when I finish it. For now, could you answer a few questions?

Given that the Wolfwatch Manor map in Power of Faerūn was said to be similar (identical?) to Castle Krag, is the map of the latter in Scouring the original layout or a new one?

How did Jyordhan come to be a dread wraith? How do you envision his unlife before the Zhent occupation?

Edited by - Faraer on 21 Jul 2007 23:06:09
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2007 :  00:37:42  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

But Elaine, your novel was published six or seven years after FOR2.

Noted that too. Ed mentions her name under Drow Religion in TDotUD in 1991. Nothing more than her name though.
BTW, Demihuman Deities and Evermeet appeared within months of each other, so am I right in assuming a close working relation on that and the Seldarine topics?

Huh. Well, I stand corrected. It has been a long time, but I remember working through the etomology from the Greek myth of Arachne, the spinner who challenged a goddess. Time to increase the ginko biloba dosage!
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2007 :  22:36:17  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I gave a friend ginkgo biloba and it gave her a headache. :(

Araushnee has Ed's kind of double vowels.
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2007 :  16:31:16  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

quote:

quote:

But Elaine, your novel was published six or seven years after FOR2.

Noted that too. Ed mentions her name under Drow Religion in TDotUD in 1991. Nothing more than her name though.
BTW, Demihuman Deities and Evermeet appeared within months of each other, so am I right in assuming a close working relation on that and the Seldarine topics?

Huh. Well, I stand corrected. It has been a long time, but I remember working through the etomology from the Greek myth of Arachne, the spinner who challenged a goddess. Time to increase the ginko biloba dosage!

Speaking of which, Arachne that is, Eric apparently decided to name the specialty priestesses of Lolth (in Demihuman Deities) after her. They were - just for those interested - converted to D&D 3E in Faiths & Pantheons, but lost quite a bit of "power". Interestingly enough, not a single designer has used the F&P-version of the Arachne so far, despite vast amounts of coverage of the drow clergy ever since.

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gęš a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerūn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.

Edited by - Zanan on 24 Jul 2007 16:32:59
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2007 :  01:28:30  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Eric, I'm enjoying reading the adventure, with reservations, and I'll try to write up some detailed feedback when I finish it. For now, could you answer a few questions?

Given that the Wolfwatch Manor map in Power of Faerūn was said to be similar (identical?) to Castle Krag, is the map of the latter in Scouring the original layout or a new one?

How did Jyordhan come to be a dread wraith? How do you envision his unlife before the Zhent occupation?

Look forward to the feedback.

I think it was meant this way ...

In Ed's home campaign, the map that is "official" for Wolfwatch Manor is actually Castle Krag.

In the official Realms, Wolfwatch Manor and Castle Krag are as described in Power of Faerun and Shadowdale: Scouring of the Land, resepectively.

As for Jyordhan, I seem to recall there was a little more explanation in Thomas's original draft explaining his presence. I can't recall if Jyordhan rose as a wraith for his crimes (particularly the massacre of Tyrists on Watcher's Knoll) or if Malathon transformed him into a dread wraith. Given that the 3.5e MM says "The oldest and most malevolent wraiths lurk in the depths of forgotten temples and other forsaken places," I suspect it was the former.

You might ask Thomas in his scroll, as he wrote that chapter. (Rich wrote the Dread Lair of Alokkair, and I wrote the other chapters and the appendix.)

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

Octa
Learned Scribe

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2007 :  21:18:43  Show Profile  Visit Octa's Homepage Send Octa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric- Great job on Shadowdale, its the adventure that should have been written for 1354 wherein your PCs get to become the 'Knights', but given the constraints of the current history, its great.

******Spoilers Below*********

Ok so here is my question, Do you all expect for the PCs who save Shadowdale to bond the 'Warblade'?

Who is going to end up with it in official canon?

How incompatible with the Lore would it be to allow a human to bond it? If one wanted to introduce some good guy vs good guy rivalry between the humans and elves fighting for Myth Drannor this would be a good plot device.

Also after being 'accepted' by the elves it would symbolize the rebirth of Myth Drannor as a truly multiracial metropolis with elves and humans hand in hand as equals.
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2007 :  21:31:33  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Octa

Eric- Great job on Shadowdale, its the adventure that should have been written for 1354 wherein your PCs get to become the 'Knights', but given the constraints of the current history, its great.

One goal, at least for me, was that you could run it in 1354, 1358, 1367, etc. Zhentil Keep has invaded so many times, it works in almost any timeframe.

quote:

******Spoilers Below*********

Ok so here is my question, Do you all expect for the PCs who save Shadowdale to bond the 'Warblade'?

Who is going to end up with it in official canon?

How incompatible with the Lore would it be to allow a human to bond it? If one wanted to introduce some good guy vs good guy rivalry between the humans and elves fighting for Myth Drannor this would be a good plot device.

Also after being 'accepted' by the elves it would symbolize the rebirth of Myth Drannor as a truly multiracial metropolis with elves and humans hand in hand as equals.

I don't know who is going to end up with it in canon. I suspect, should that ever be touched on, that it will be an elven general in service to Isvele, but there might be more interesting solutions than that. In other words, it's open for now.

As to whether the PCs keep it or not, it's obviously up to them. I think it would make sense for the PCs to keep it if they are going to stay involved in the reclamation of Myth Drannor or as lords of Shadowdale. If however, they are going to follow events in the next module, Anauroch, then it might make more sense to give it to Isvele to bequeath as she sees fit in exchange for a set of unique lesser power items (one per character and particularly appropriate for each) retrieved from the ruins. I say this because as a DM, you really have two ways to go here. One is to focus on the "greater Myth Drannor war" and one is to focus on the NDA (but you can guess) angle. For the former, you're on your own, although you might get some help from Dragon #354 and in the near future.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

Octa
Learned Scribe

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2007 :  22:21:25  Show Profile  Visit Octa's Homepage Send Octa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric- Thanks for the answer.

******Spoilers**********

One more: What do you think about a human bonding the Warblade? This is explicitly prohibited in the write up, but maybe the Seladrine in order to make Myth Drannor stronger long term have taken the 'elven' blood requirement out of things.
Did you all include this in both LEoF and SSotL to be consistent with the 1e and 2e lore, or was it an additional requirement.

or

One could always come up with a well while human their grandfather was an elf, like Danilo Than and the Spellsinger class he took up.

Personally I like the first one better because it shows a desire to finally elimianate the elven slant to the city of Myth Drannor that rightly caused the humans/dwarves/gnomes of the city to feel like second class citizens.
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2007 :  00:46:51  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Eric- Thanks for the answer.

******Spoilers**********

One more: What do you think about a human bonding the Warblade? This is explicitly prohibited in the write up, but maybe the Seladrine in order to make Myth Drannor stronger long term have taken the 'elven' blood requirement out of things.
Did you all include this in both LEoF and SSotL to be consistent with the 1e and 2e lore, or was it an additional requirement.

or

One could always come up with a well while human their grandfather was an elf, like Danilo Than and the Spellsinger class he took up.

Personally I like the first one better because it shows a desire to finally elimianate the elven slant to the city of Myth Drannor that rightly caused the humans/dwarves/gnomes of the city to feel like second class citizens.

I think it's fine if it works for your campaign to rule that the Seldarine are deliberately promoting inter-racial harmony.

I don't recall what was said in 2e, but look in the Cormanthyr sourcebook (available as a free PDF on the WoTC site). I didn't actually do the original 3e write-up, so I've never gone back and compared to the original 2e write-up. I just did an abbreviated form of the write-up for Shadowdale.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

Octa
Learned Scribe

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2007 :  21:30:11  Show Profile  Visit Octa's Homepage Send Octa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric- First off thanks for answering our questions, and now a rules question which I think i fair game since you wrote one of the feats in question, i.e. Bane of Infidels and it comes up in terms of the type/subtype distinction.

1, Suppose I have Favored Enemy Humanoid (elf) attacking a Fey'ri with the type Outsider(Native, Augmented Humanoid[elf]). Do I get my favored enemy bonus against these guys?

2, There are a couple of feats/class abilities outside of the Ranger class that add Favored enemies. Feats like Foe Hunter, or Bane of Infidels add specific types of favored enemies. If I take Improved Favored Enemy does that apply to enemies acquired through the Bane of Infidels feat?

3, I read somewhere that Foe Hunter Stacks with the Ranger favored enemies, but can't remember where. Does anyone remember seeing this too?

Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2007 :  21:54:40  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Eric- First off thanks for answering our questions, and now a rules question which I think i fair game since you wrote one of the feats in question, i.e. Bane of Infidels and it comes up in terms of the type/subtype distinction.

1, Suppose I have Favored Enemy Humanoid (elf) attacking a Fey'ri with the type Outsider(Native, Augmented Humanoid[elf]). Do I get my favored enemy bonus against these guys?
Yes, if they are listed to have elf blood (DHTBIFOM)

quote:
2, There are a couple of feats/class abilities outside of the Ranger class that add Favored enemies. Feats like Foe Hunter, or Bane of Infidels add specific types of favored enemies. If I take Improved Favored Enemy does that apply to enemies acquired through the Bane of Infidels feat?
Sure, why not?

quote:
3, I read somewhere that Foe Hunter Stacks with the Ranger favored enemies, but can't remember where. Does anyone remember seeing this too?
Player's Guide to Faerun. Yes, Foe Hunter stacks with Favored Enemy; so does the favored enemy pouch magic item from Magic of Faerun... (a neat trick that I always use when I build a ranger PC or NPC...)
Go to Top of Page

Octa
Learned Scribe

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2007 :  16:52:31  Show Profile  Visit Octa's Homepage Send Octa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
PDK, do you know where this is written up in the RAW, I can't find it anywhere. Foe Hunter I think Rich said on the Ask Rich thread, that it does stack, but I wanted something more official.

Thanks for the Heads up on the Pouch thing, I never caught that before.
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2007 :  17:48:29  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's written right into the feat...
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2007 :  18:48:24  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I won't have access to my books for a week, so I'll have to let someone else answer the rules question.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

Amnezjusz
Acolyte

Poland
39 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2007 :  14:15:20  Show Profile  Visit Amnezjusz's Homepage Send Amnezjusz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Eric.

I have one question after reading 'Dragons of Faerun'. Can you tell us when exactly (month or even a day) Klauth attacked Mirabar during lateset Rage of Dragons?

Many thanks for help.

THERE'S NO JUSTICE. THERE'S JUST ME. - Death

http://www.polarzepy.fora.pl - My website.
http://www.dnd.polter.pl - Official Polish D&D site.
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2007 :  16:10:07  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Amnezjusz

Hello Eric.

I have one question after reading 'Dragons of Faerun'. Can you tell us when exactly (month or even a day) Klauth attacked Mirabar during lateset Rage of Dragons?

Many thanks for help.

I don't think I pinned it down. I've recently (Dragon #354) worked out the timeline for the Cormanthyr region down to the day over the past couple of years, but I don't think I've done it anywhere for the North.

Unless I did it in GHotR (not yet published) and I'm not remembering.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2007 :  16:33:18  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was wondering if you could answer a question or two that I had. I posted it earlier, but I think that it got missed in the other questions at the time given the arrival of the Undermountain addventure. So Here it is again, and I hope it's not a problem.

Here's an interesting question:

A Relic holder (from Powers of Faerun's Chapter on Religious Leaders) gains a bonus to Leadership of Plus One. What kind of bonus to Leadership would be gained by being a creator of a relic (since froim Complete Divine, a relic can be a normal magical item with some special diety related powers)? Would it be a Plus Two bonus to leadership? Or would it be more than that since the relic may last longer then the item crafter and help expand the faith?

What kind of effect would having intimate relations with a deity have on leadership? Or being a child of a deity? Or being a choosen of the Deity (which must be higher than being a archbishop of the faith)?

Foxhelm

Thanks again.

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2007 :  13:31:06  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Mr Boyd.

I was wondering if your going to continue with the Realms Conversion for the Savage Tide Adventure Path? They are a lot of help!

Thanks for your time.
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2007 :  14:38:34  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Uzzy

Hello Mr Boyd.

I was wondering if your going to continue with the Realms Conversion for the Savage Tide Adventure Path? They are a lot of help!

Thanks for your time.

Yep. Working on them.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2007 :  14:41:15  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Foxhelm

I was wondering if you could answer a question or two that I had. I posted it earlier, but I think that it got missed in the other questions at the time given the arrival of the Undermountain addventure. So Here it is again, and I hope it's not a problem.

Here's an interesting question:

A Relic holder (from Powers of Faerun's Chapter on Religious Leaders) gains a bonus to Leadership of Plus One. What kind of bonus to Leadership would be gained by being a creator of a relic (since froim Complete Divine, a relic can be a normal magical item with some special diety related powers)? Would it be a Plus Two bonus to leadership? Or would it be more than that since the relic may last longer then the item crafter and help expand the faith?

What kind of effect would having intimate relations with a deity have on leadership? Or being a child of a deity? Or being a choosen of the Deity (which must be higher than being a archbishop of the faith)?

Foxhelm

Thanks again.

I'd probably go with +2 for creating a relic. I realize that might seem low, but I feel the leadership bonus is mostly for recovering/possessing a relic with a historical record, not creating something new (which is not yet well known).

As for "intimate relations / child of / Chosen of", I'd give a +2 or +3 bonus. My reasoning is that all these things are easily claimed, but hard to prove.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2007 :  15:16:34  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the answers.

I have another question that is linked to the Celadrin. I am working with an idea of a Celadrin Cleric/Bard of Finder Wyvernspur (odd but possible given the link to arts). I was thinking of having a possible romantic link with a Fey'ri Wizardress, but while the families that the Fey'ri come from are known I was curious about which families of elves are likely to have Celadrins in them?

I know that gold elves families are the likely suspects, but are there certain families with more links to the celestial planetouched then others?

The only major one that I can think of is the Aelorothi family which is known for it's clerical history (source Elves of Evermeet), which is just as ironic since they are also one of the families of Fey'ri. I am not sure that I want a Fey'ri Aelorothi falling for a distance Celadrin Aelorothi cousin, at leats not just yet. So that is what I am asking the question.

I hope that you can give me an answer as soon as possible. Thanks.

Foxhelm

Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2007 :  20:51:00  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks for the answers.

I have another question that is linked to the Celadrin. I am working with an idea of a Celadrin Cleric/Bard of Finder Wyvernspur (odd but possible given the link to arts). I was thinking of having a possible romantic link with a Fey'ri Wizardress, but while the families that the Fey'ri come from are known I was curious about which families of elves are likely to have Celadrins in them?

I know that gold elves families are the likely suspects, but are there certain families with more links to the celestial planetouched then others?

The only major one that I can think of is the Aelorothi family which is known for it's clerical history (source Elves of Evermeet), which is just as ironic since they are also one of the families of Fey'ri. I am not sure that I want a Fey'ri Aelorothi falling for a distance Celadrin Aelorothi cousin, at leats not just yet. So that is what I am asking the question.

I hope that you can give me an answer as soon as possible. Thanks.

Foxhelm

If it was me, I'd pick a random gold elf family out of Cormanthyr or Elves of Evermeet. (The latter refers to a few families as "ex-Myth Drannor".)

Even if there's one that doesn't scream cleric, I'd say that the families are diverse enough (see the range of personalities in each family in Cormanthyr) that any given family might have sired a celadrin.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2007 :  16:33:21  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure if you can spill any beans about this yet, but will we be seeing the Celadrin, Fey'ri or Azerblood developed for Fourth Edition? Would it be on the D&D Insider or in a product like the one on races coming for the realms?

If possible could you give us a head up as soon as you can about the fate of these planetouched? Even if by a day or so?

Just curious, Thanks!

Foxhelm

Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2007 :  17:43:42  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm not sure if you can spill any beans about this yet, but will we be seeing the Celadrin, Fey'ri or Azerblood developed for Fourth Edition? Would it be on the D&D Insider or in a product like the one on races coming for the realms?

If possible could you give us a head up as soon as you can about the fate of these planetouched? Even if by a day or so?

Just curious, Thanks!

Foxhelm

No idea yet. I'll ask, but I'm unlikely to get an answer I can give any time soon.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

Mandras
Seeker

Estonia
51 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2007 :  23:23:41  Show Profile  Visit Mandras's Homepage Send Mandras a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello mr Boyd.

I have bought the Shadowdale: Scouring of the Land module and reading it. I think it is well built module (especially the focus on PC-s being the stars of adventure). Also I believe it has a very good potential to become a memorable campaign for my players and I would give it the best rating of WotC modules published so far. .

However I have questions about some NPC-s of the module:

I can not understand why the true Mourngrym's char was built as it was. That version has nothing to do with how Mourngrym was designed in 1st and 2nd edition. The stats, abilities, equipment - nothing matches at all. The new version seems to be be some heavy footman, the original idea of a cavalier seemes to be absolutely lost. Could You please explain why this version was done the way it was?

Why is the young Falconhand such a weakling? Considering his parents he has rather horrible stats and his class/stats/feat choices do not make anything inspireing? Also - as according to official canon he was raised in Evermeet among the elves - how come he doesn't speak elven?

I apologise if my post seemes too offensive - i truly like the module so far :)

Best Regards,

Mandras

"The pure and simple truth is rarely pure and never simple."
Oscar Wilde
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2007 :  00:48:24  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mandras

Hello mr Boyd.

I have bought the Shadowdale: Scouring of the Land module and reading it. I think it is well built module (especially the focus on PC-s being the stars of adventure). Also I believe it has a very good potential to become a memorable campaign for my players and I would give it the best rating of WotC modules published so far. .

Glad you liked it.

quote:
However I have questions about some NPC-s of the module:

I can not understand why the true Mourngrym's char was built as it was. That version has nothing to do with how Mourngrym was designed in 1st and 2nd edition. The stats, abilities, equipment - nothing matches at all. The new version seems to be be some heavy footman, the original idea of a cavalier seemes to be absolutely lost. Could You please explain why this version was done the way it was?

Mourngrym is consistent with the preexisting 3e write-up found here:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rp/20040428a

While I might have done him differently if I was starting with the 1e and 2e sources, I chose to keep it consistent with the 3e depiction (as that was the most recent).

quote:
Why is the young Falconhand such a weakling? Considering his parents he has rather horrible stats and his class/stats/feat choices do not make anything inspireing? Also - as according to official canon he was raised in Evermeet among the elves - how come he doesn't speak elven?

Azalar is built as a feytouched NPC with an elite array according to the rules. Base Abilities: Str 15, Dex 8, Con 13, Int 10, Wis 14, Cha 12. Added +2 Dex, -2 Con, +2 Cha for feytouched. Added +1 Str for 7 class levels. He's not intended to be high enough level to impact the encounter, hence the level. That's up to the PCs. Azalar is still a teenager ... and there to act as bait. Having him speak Elven would have made sense.

quote:
I apologise if my post seemes too offensive - i truly like the module so far :)

Best Regards,

Mandras

No worries. The "meta-answer" to your question is that NPCs are supposed to be designed according to certain rules. These NPCs follow those rules.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

Mandras
Seeker

Estonia
51 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2007 :  07:01:42  Show Profile  Visit Mandras's Homepage Send Mandras a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

Mourngrym is consistent with the preexisting 3e write-up found here:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rp/20040428a

While I might have done him differently if I was starting with the 1e and 2e sources, I chose to keep it consistent with the 3e depiction (as that was the most recent).

--Eric

Well, that write-up by mr Boozer is exactly the thing I don't get.

It is made as if someone said: Hey, Mike, roll up an 8th level fighter.
Mike: Any restrictions on my design?
The other person: Nope, go as You like. Oh, almost forgot, I think we have to call him Mourngrym Amcathra. What a silly name...

Why it was made the way it was in the first place beats me. And why was that silly write-up preserved? Oh well, just ranting...

Best Regards,

Mandras

"The pure and simple truth is rarely pure and never simple."
Oscar Wilde
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2007 :  06:01:50  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Got my Dragon 359 today. Very nice job on Myth Drannor history recap (well I would have skiped the boring 2nd Pool of radiance thing ).

I hope that your realmslore mastery will be used by WoTC for the new FRCS...
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2007 :  22:07:46  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skeptic

Got my Dragon 359 today. Very nice job on Myth Drannor history recap (well I would have skiped the boring 2nd Pool of radiance thing ).

I hope that your realmslore mastery will be used by WoTC for the new FRCS...

Glad you liked it!.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 48 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000