Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Eric L Boyd
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 48

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2007 :  23:29:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As always, you're welcome Jamallo.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2007 :  01:09:39  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric,

In "The Spire of Long Shadows" FR adapdation notes, you speak of maps of Longsaddle and the Tower of Twilight in "Volo's Guide to the North" and "The North", downloadable online, etc.

All I can find is the overland map showing the two locations of the above places, but nothing showing an actual 'map' or 'layout' of the Tower of Twilight (the map of Longsaddle "is" present though, and the Ivy Mansion is shown in the FR Atlas, so that's good... all I need is a layout of the ol' archmage's Tower! :) )
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2007 :  17:41:43  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric or Eytain,

Is this an error in Dragons of Faerun? Shoon VII, on page 21, is listed as a lich and not a demilich. However, he's been listed as a demilich in 2e and some early 3/3.5 material.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2007 :  21:32:03  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bahgtru

Hello Eric,

In the Waterdeep accessory, Madeiron Sunderstone is said to have the same blood line as the Hartwick's from Hartsvale. It is a good explanation to his great size and strength. It's the firest time, it had been mentionted. Is that something you came up with or has that always been a part of his backstory? Also, it said he had a long and varied career as an adventurer in the Inner Seal lands. Are there any highlights to that career you can expound upon? Thanks in advance.

The Hartsvale link was my own invention. If you look at the write-up of the axe of heavenly fire, you see that I tied it's creation to the Abbey of the Just Hammer in the Dalelands. The "Inner Sea" adventurer note, IIRC, was to explain how he wandered in that direction.

--Eric

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/

Edited by - ericlboyd on 06 Feb 2007 21:33:55
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2007 :  21:34:30  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Inaubryn

Eric,

Curious. Whatever happened to the web enhancement write up on Chaulssin: City of Wyrm Shadows?

No idea. It's done. I keep hoping they'll post it soon.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2007 :  21:35:13  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Eric,

Would you consider Volumvax, from page 173 of Faiths & Pantheons, basically a proxy of Shar since he has a divine rank of 0, which is what proxies have in 3/3.5e. Or is he something else?

NDA, NDA, NDA ... NDA, NDA, NDA

;-)

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2007 :  21:36:03  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zanan

While speaking of Chaulssin, has any specific date of the return of the Spider Queen been set as yet (given the recent discussion on the timeline of 1373/74) and will this date become known before any printed sourcebook tells us the "exact" history of Lolth's Silence?

I hope there will be something in print soon which will answer this question.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2007 :  21:38:15  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bocklin

Dear Eric,

I know that there is a NDA limiting what you can say, but within the limit of your freedom, could you tell us what a DM should think about when putting a group together for the "Cormyr - Shadowdale - ?" campaign arc?

The first book is coming out next march and I was thinking that it would be neat to have my players start new characters now, so that they reach level 4 by the time "Tearing of the Weave" is out (we're slow).

I am not asking for any major discosure on the modules, just some pointers about fitting alignments and affiliations. Things to avoid, maybe. It's really just to make sure that I don't end up with a bunch of players with unfit characters for the campaign arc when we get there.

I know it's a tough one (NDA and all), so I'll be happy with anything you can think of and share. Thanks a lot in advance.

Bocklin

Avoid members of the Church of Shar, the Zhentarim, or characters hailing from Anauroch.

Avoid characters whose backstory points them out of the eastern Heartlands.

Any character associated with the Church of Mystra (or possibly Azuth) is likely to become the fulcrum of the adventuring party.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2007 :  21:38:57  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RodOdom

Dear Eric,

Do some lizard-kings claim descent from the demon Sess'innek? Thank you.

I'm sure some lizard-kings will claim just about anything.

;-)

--Eric

PS Interesting idea.

--
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2007 :  21:40:49  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Foxhelm

I was going to ask Eric this, but I am open to any opinion. Would the child of a Fey'ri or a Celadrin with a half-elf have any chance of being a planetouched elf or would they only be a regular elf?

Thanks.

I think it's up to the DM. I believe "planetouched" is normally supposed to be a recessive trait, at least when breeding back into the normal population, so I suspect you'd be most likely to get an elf or a half-elf.

--Eric

PS See the fire genasi in Powers of Faerun for what I mean about it being a recessive trait.

--
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2007 :  21:42:32  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

Eric,

In "The Spire of Long Shadows" FR adapdation notes, you speak of maps of Longsaddle and the Tower of Twilight in "Volo's Guide to the North" and "The North", downloadable online, etc.

All I can find is the overland map showing the two locations of the above places, but nothing showing an actual 'map' or 'layout' of the Tower of Twilight (the map of Longsaddle "is" present though, and the Ivy Mansion is shown in the FR Atlas, so that's good... all I need is a layout of the ol' archmage's Tower! :) )

I am unaware of any existing map of the Tower of Twilight, unless one showed up in one of the computer games or on the FR5 - Savage Frontier gatefold.

Ed might have one scribbled in pencil and moldering in his basement, but I've never seen one.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2007 :  21:43:54  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Eric or Eytain,

Is this an error in Dragons of Faerun? Shoon VII, on page 21, is listed as a lich and not a demilich. However, he's been listed as a demilich in 2e and some early 3/3.5 material.

He was listed as a demilich before the 3.0/3.5e "demilich" was defined. I think it's more interesting to think of him as a unique lich who has returned to a form of lichdom after being a demilich for a long time. (There's nothing saying the process couldn't be reversed in unusual circumstances.)

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2007 :  22:29:37  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:

Eric or Eytain,

He was listed as a demilich before the 3.0/3.5e "demilich" was defined. I think it's more interesting to think of him as a unique lich who has returned to a form of lichdom after being a demilich for a long time. (There's nothing saying the process couldn't be reversed in unusual circumstances.)

--Eric

I guess I'm confused then because Lost Empires, which came out long after the 3/3.5e demilich was printed, says that he's a demilich which backs up the 2e lore and then Dragons says he's just a lich. Ah well..... confused.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 06 Feb 2007 22:37:02
Go to Top of Page

Bocklin
Learned Scribe

Germany
151 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2007 :  10:22:29  Show Profile Send Bocklin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Avoid members of the Church of Shar, the Zhentarim, or characters hailing from Anauroch.

Avoid characters whose backstory points them out of the eastern Heartlands.

Any character associated with the Church of Mystra (or possibly Azuth) is likely to become the fulcrum of the adventuring party.

--Eric

Thanks a lot, Eric.

Happy to see you back online! I hope life has been treating you well.

Bocklin
Go to Top of Page

nbnmare
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
205 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2007 :  19:29:14  Show Profile  Visit nbnmare's Homepage Send nbnmare a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Eric,

I was recently struck with the idea that both the Dark Justiciars (clergy of Shar who've killed at least one clergy of Selune) and the Circle of the Gray Ribbon (clergy of Mask who've pulled of a particularly daring heist) from Faiths & Avatars could be adapted into feats. Do you have any advice for potential benefits of such? The most obvious benefit of the Dark Justiciar feat would be for it to act as Favored Enemy (Selunites), but that's made entirely redundant by Power of Faerűn's Bane of Infidels feat.

EDIT: On a complete unrelated note, I really enjoyed your Planetouched of Faerűn article in Dragon #350. Any plans for a follow-up article? Aarakocra with avoral ancestry, gnomes with dao ancestry, and wemics with leonal ancestry all seem like they would be particularly good fits.

Edited by - nbnmare on 15 Feb 2007 13:00:52
Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 11 Feb 2007 :  19:52:58  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by RodOdom

Dear Eric,

Do some lizard-kings claim descent from the demon Sess'innek? Thank you.

I'm sure some lizard-kings will claim just about anything.

;-)

--Eric

PS Interesting idea.

They're as shameless as they are cold-blooded !

Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2007 :  15:22:11  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nbnmare

Hi Eric,

I was recently struck with the idea that both the Dark Justiciars (clergy of Shar who've killed at least one clergy of Selune) and the Circle of the Gray Ribbon (clergy of Mask who've pulled of a particularly daring heist) from Faiths & Avatars could be adapted into feats. Do you have any advice for potential benefits of such? The most obvious benefit of the Dark Justiciar feat would be for it to act as Favored Enemy (Selunites), but that's made entirely redundant by Power of Faerűn's Bane of Infidels feat.

For the Dark Justiciars, I might give them some sort of resistance or immunity to moon-related effects. Perhaps immunity to spells with the Light descriptor when the sun is not above the horizon? (The problem is that the Light descriptor is not applied very liberally.) You might also look at the Moon domain in FRCS and see if that inspires an idea.

For Circle of the Grey Ribbon, I'd be tempted to look at the abilities of the ethereal filcher and see if there might be something appropriate.

An alternative approach would be to do substitution levels, such as was done in Champions of Valor.

quote:
EDIT: On a complete unrelated note, I really enjoyed your Planetouched of Faerűn article in Dragon #350. Any plans for a follow-up article? Aarakocra with avoral ancestry, gnomes with dao ancestry, and wemics with leonal ancestry all seem like they would be particularly good fits.

Glad you liked the article. I don't have plans for an immediate follow-up, but its something I might revisit. Usually I try to write an article that inspires ideas, so that the DM can extend the idea as needed. I would suggest that you really shoot for +1 LA planetouched races and to look for inspiration in Realms history for why the race might have come about. Regarding the former, any higher really negates interest in the race. (I thought worghests were interesting enough to be an exception.)

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 15 Feb 2007 :  15:24:49  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bocklin
Thanks a lot, Eric.

Happy to see you back online! I hope life has been treating you well.

Bocklin

Glad to be of help. Life is good, but busy. (To keep things interesting, we decided to remodel our house.) Really, I just needed a little break.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2007 :  05:37:27  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
okay ... got a whole minor 'series' of questions about Ammarindar and since its your name that seems to pop up the most when i'm going though my notes (other than prehaps Ed but we all know about his workload) i'll jump you *grins*

firstly ... what clan was King Olaurin and Queen Helmma in? ... did they have any 'registered/known' heirs? and can you give some radnom tidbits on the royal family?

what happened to the queen? she's much more hysterical than usual
She's a women, it happens once a month

Edited by - Sian on 16 Feb 2007 05:37:51
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2007 :  17:41:59  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sian

okay ... got a whole minor 'series' of questions about Ammarindar and since its your name that seems to pop up the most when i'm going though my notes (other than prehaps Ed but we all know about his workload) i'll jump you *grins*

firstly ... what clan was King Olaurin and Queen Helmma in? ... did they have any 'registered/known' heirs? and can you give some radnom tidbits on the royal family?

It's been a while since I've thought about this. Have you read the passage in FR11 - Dwarves Deep and the recent article I did in Dragon entitled "Toppled Thrones"?

More later,

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

Sian
Senior Scribe

Denmark
596 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2007 :  19:15:19  Show Profile  Visit Sian's Homepage Send Sian a Private Message  Reply with Quote
both of those i've read, thank you ... but none of them mentions much new after reading Lost Empires of Faerun ... reason i'm asking is because i'm building up an rather massive background story/livetime missions for a dwarven Envoker hailing from their royal family ... but other than your aticle on the thrones, the passage in Dwarves deep, the ditto in LEoF and the tidbit in the webenchantment about the labyrinth where is it possable to find other sources?

Edit:
now that i reread your aticle about the thrones its writen that the Queens Cousin is a rockfist ... should that be understood that the royal family as such is members of the Rockfist clan or?

what happened to the queen? she's much more hysterical than usual
She's a women, it happens once a month

Edited by - Sian on 16 Feb 2007 19:34:23
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2007 :  01:42:27  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met!

I am using Monte Cook's Requiem for a God book for my campaign, which is set just after the Time of Troubles, and some of the rules require knowledge of a dead deity's actual (numerical) Divine Rank (not just whether they were Demigods, Intermediate, or what have you). Would you therefore be kind enough to provide us with some definitive estimate of the probable Divine Ranks of the deities who were killed in the ToT at their time of death, however brief that might have been? By my recollection, they would be:

Bane (briefly)
Bhaal
Gilgeam
Ibrandul
Leira
Moander
Myrkul
Mystra (Mk I)
Ramman
Torm (temporarily)

Older deities whose Divine rank at time of death (or sleep, or retirement, or whatever it is they happen to be doing) would be:

Amaunator
Auppenser
Kyputytto (Faerunian aspect)
Tchazzar

While Auppenser is not dead, but dreaming (or something), and Aumanator may not have died at all (which heresy do you believe?!), for the purposes of my question, would you suggest a probable answer for the time at which mortals believe that the deity died (or faded away or whatever)?

The final two deities whose Divine Ranks I am seeking are the Murdane (killed by Lathander during the Dawn Cataclysm) and Targus, who may or may not have died briefly at the hands of Tempus before appearing (or RE-appearing) as the modern demipower Garagos, i.e., if he did die briefly, what was Targus's last Divine rank before "Garagos" appeared? (For that matter, what is the DR of the living Garagos now, anyway?)

I realize that this is one of those questions about the mysteries of the gods which Ed doesn't like us asking, but the mechanics of Monte Cook's rules require a DM to assign some Divine rank to deities, and I think it would be better if the man who wrote the book on them did the assigning, rather than having us DMs assign random numbers which may be at variance with one another, putting our players in an awkward situation if they play their characters in another DM's campaign at some time in the future. Therefore, Eric, I do hope that you will give us some probable Divine Ranks for these "dead" deities.I thank you in advance. I also thank you for your books, on behalf of my players, who use them regularly, but who are (understandably!) discouraged by me from visiting Candlekeep, where I ask the questions which will shape their adventures.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2007 :  05:47:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Some of those deities died after the ToT, Jamallo. We don't know when Leira was killed, and Moander was killed a year or two after the ToT, IIRC.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2007 :  23:54:28  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

Eric,

I am unaware of any existing map of the Tower of Twilight, unless one showed up in one of the computer games or on the FR5 - Savage Frontier gatefold.

Ed might have one scribbled in pencil and moldering in his basement, but I've never seen one.

--Eric

There is a map of the Tower in 'FR Atlas', I think...

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2007 :  19:24:50  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Some of those deities died after the ToT, Jamallo. We don't know when Leira was killed, and Moander was killed a year or two after the ToT, IIRC.

I know, Wooly, but Requiem for a God has a prestige class which can scry the deaths of deities and manipulate their remaining essences before they dwindle off to ... wherever divine essences go to. The length of time a dead deity's essence lingers (a la Monte Cook) is a factor of its Divine Rank. In my campaign, which is set a year and a half after the ToT, almost all of the recently killed gods will have some of their mojo still floating around. In the "official" campaign year of 1374, however, some of the demigods' essence may already be too tenuous to access. Hence, it's important to know the Divine Ranks which they did have before they were variously crushed, hacked, clawed to death or whatever.

For those of us who are reluctant to go the route of the Bhaalspawn saga, or who haven't introcuded the Crown of Horns yet, Monte Cook's prestige classes are another means to revive Bhaal or Myrkul (or Gilgeam or Leira or Ibrandul, for that matter).

I am curious about the transition of Targus to Garagos because some Targan magic is going to crop up in my campaign, and it will be very amusing watching the reactions of those who think that they are invoking Tempus or Helm or the Red Knight, when they wind up with You Know Who, instead. Knowing what "officially" transpired (at least from a Targan/Garagan perspective) only adds richness to the brew.

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2007 :  19:40:41  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am in the process of accumulating the Age of Worms issues from Dungeon and Dragon, but I still have a lot of holes in the collection (and thus my knowledge, too), so I am going to be asking a bunch of (probably redundant) questions here. Unfortunately I no longer have the computer time to luxuriate in reading all of Eric's answers to other people's questions, so may I ask that those who already know an answer please answer me here and spare Eric the time-consuming chore of interrupting his Life (with a capital "L" now) to repeat himself? I hope that Eric may then answer any new questions which I come up with.

To begin at the ending, I am seeking a clarification on Kyuss's immunities. He is immune to death effects, but takes damage from Epic magic; does that mean that Epic spells with "Slay" or similar seeds do or don't affect him? If they don't, is he vulnerable to an Epic healing spell which brings forth Positive Material Plane essence? Is he invulnerable to standard spells which have been metamagically enhanced to a spell level of 10 or higher?

The Dungeon 125 (?) enhancement mentions Kyuss's city in Chult. I can find the general vicinity where it should be, but none of the maps which I have (including the one from Jungles of Chult) show it. Is there a map showing its location, and where is it, prithee?

I thank in advance those who will help me through this. I have never run an "adventure path" before, and trying to integrate it into a "regular" Realms campaign is going to be difficult, so please indulge my questions if I ask something whose answer is plainly stated in one magazine article or another -- I may not have it yet, but would appreciate being referred to it.

Much graces!

Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2007 :  00:01:17  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

The Dungeon 125 (?) enhancement mentions Kyuss's city in Chult. I can find the general vicinity where it should be, but none of the maps which I have (including the one from Jungles of Chult) show it. Is there a map showing its location, and where is it, prithee?

It's in the heart of the Chultengar. Although the city's not shown on any map, the Chultengar can be seen here:

Clicky!

--Eric

Mod edit: Coded the link, because it was stretching out the page.

--

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 25 Feb 2007 05:01:55
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2007 :  00:08:22  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

To begin at the ending, I am seeking a clarification on Kyuss's immunities. He is immune to death effects, but takes damage from Epic magic; does that mean that Epic spells with "Slay" or similar seeds do or don't affect him?

This is no "Advice from the Sage", but I would rule that he is immune to Epic death effects as well. Immunity should extend to Epic effects (i.e. a red dragon immune to fire should always be immune to fireballs, no matter how 'epic' they are! )

quote:
If they don't, is he vulnerable to an Epic healing spell which brings forth Positive Material Plane essence?

Absolutely!

quote:
Is he invulnerable to standard spells which have been metamagically enhanced to a spell level of 10 or higher?

IMHO, no: because those would be, by definition, classified under Epic Magic, as the feat allowing you to take 10th+ spell slots is an Epic feat.

quote:

No. But Kuluth-Mar is 'somewhere' in eastern Chult... place it where you want. What you need are the Dungeon #130 notes, where Eric states that:
"In the Year of Reverent Threnody (–653 dr),
a Tabaxi (Flan) named Kyuss and his followers
fled Mezro for the Chultengar, a dark region
on the eastern border of the Jungle of Chult.
There Kyuss founded the city of Kuluth-
Mar, based upon the worship of a six-armed
god of death named Jergal (Nerull). After his
followers found the plates that spoke of the
Age of Worms, Kyuss received the spellweaver
lich who gave him the gift of a single green
worm and built the Spire of Long Shadows.
Further details on the history of the
Chultan peninsula and the inhabitants of the
Chultengar are given in Serpent Kingdoms."

quote:
I thank in advance those who will help me through this. I have never run an "adventure path" before, and trying to integrate it into a "regular" Realms campaign is going to be difficult, so please indulge my questions if I ask something whose answer is plainly stated in one magazine article or another -- I may not have it yet, but would appreciate being referred to it.

Much graces!

I have run the Age of Worms adventure path for more than a year now... I found that integrating the adventure path into my existing campaign was not hard at all, the opposite in fact. My party is actually up to level 14 now and are entering the Spire of Long Shadows... so far they had a big scare (I had the welcoming party there almost kill the ranger and wizard, who were scouting the place while invisible AND flying! but hey: they landed! all bets were off!)
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2007 :  00:36:05  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric what level should players be to go through Expedition to Undermountain?

Will there be Dungeon Magazine style scaling advice for the module?

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2007 :  16:21:48  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Eric what level should players be to go through Expedition to Undermountain?

I can't really answer that question until they post more info about it.

quote:
Will there be Dungeon Magazine style scaling advice for the module?

I don't know. I didn't write any.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 48 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000