Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Eric L Boyd
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 48

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 27 Nov 2006 :  09:05:52  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heading off to search these scrolls. Thanks for the quick replies!

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gęš a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerūn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 01 Dec 2006 :  23:34:30  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

quote:
Originally posted by Zanan

Vendui!

Reading a few bits and pieces on Menzoberranzan in Drizzt's do'Urden's Guide to the Underdark I noted the rumour about "survivors" of House Oblodra in the Claw Rift, referred to as "witchlin". Has these ever been mentioned in another sourcebook or Monstrous Manual?

Thanks, Zanan!

I'm not Eric, but the witchlin was a creature detailed in the DragonLance Monstrous Compendium, which was basically (if I recall), a pair of skeletal hands and floating eyeballs. They were specifically an elven form of undead, again, if my memory holds.

Just thought of this, and I looked it up. The Witchlin has 3.5 statistics given in the Bestiary of Krynn DragonLance sourcebook.

It was officially a Dragonlance beastie, but I know Ed included them a couple of times in official Realmslore. The other instance that comes to mind was Volo's Guide to Waterdeep, IIRC.

--Eric

Mod Edit: Fixed the quotes

Pages 45 and 46 of that book. Elminster noted that it's a Krynnish beastie, but he thinks that's what's killing folks in the Prowl.

Ah, my DM ran a version of this idea for my 1st level character years and years ago. It was a Witchlin - apparently controlled by Elaith Craulnober. There was a hidden (buried under mud, rotten leaves and stuff) sewer grate in the Prowl, and there, in the sewers, was a hidden complex. I remember a magic circle in the largest room, with a standing and mutilated (missing its skull and both of the hands) skeleton in the middle of it. Whether it was Elaith who actually created this creature, or someone else, I never found out. My character slew the Witchlin, climbed down into the sewers, found a secret door, searched the small complex and later observed Elaith entering it (that is why I assumed that he controlled the creature somehow). Anyhow, it was a fun (and chilling :) little adventure

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2006 :  20:09:40  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric,

The product description of "Shadowdale: the Scouring of the Land" says:
quote:
In addition to encounters, this book contains detailed source material on the town of Shadowdale and environs.

Would one of those environs be post-crusade Myth Drannor?

*** A Forgotten Realms Addict since 1990 ***
Treasures of the Past, a Second Edition Play-by-Post game for and by Candlekeep Sages--http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=52011
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2006 :  23:58:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by WalkerNinja

Eric,

The product description of "Shadowdale: the Scouring of the Land" says:
quote:
In addition to encounters, this book contains detailed source material on the town of Shadowdale and environs.

Would one of those environs be post-crusade Myth Drannor?

I wouldn't imagine it would detail that much. Covering the events of post-crusade Myth Drannor would likely require an entire chapter of a regional book.

At best, we'll likely only learn minor tidbits or side-references about the latest events involving Myth Drannor and the regions surrounding the Dalelands.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 04 Dec 2006 23:59:33
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2006 :  01:35:40  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sure if Eric can detail the post-crusade MD and Cormanthyr region, he will. But given that Shadowdale is an adventure and word count likely to be at a premium, I'd say it's unlikely.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

WalkerNinja
Senior Scribe

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2006 :  04:17:28  Show Profile Send WalkerNinja a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, a guy can hope can't he? Yeah, I'm a sunshine pumper.

*** A Forgotten Realms Addict since 1990 ***
Treasures of the Past, a Second Edition Play-by-Post game for and by Candlekeep Sages--http://www.rpol.net/game.cgi?gi=52011
Go to Top of Page

Octa
Learned Scribe

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2006 :  21:06:27  Show Profile  Visit Octa's Homepage Send Octa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its probably a very very safe bet that the details of the reclaimation of Myth Drannor between 1374 and 1380 will at some point be detailed in multiple novels.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2006 :  06:35:27  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Octa

Its probably a very very safe bet that the details of the reclaimation of Myth Drannor between 1374 and 1380 will at some point be detailed in multiple novels.

-Realms of the Elves II, if we're lucky.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2006 :  12:30:11  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mr. Boyd--

I love the new planetouched and can see many uses for them. But I was wondering what advice you could give me for trying to fit in one of the special abilities of the Celadrin (Melodious Voice) into the normal type of Aasimar (Humans of Celestial blood)? Would I need to rearrange the natural abilities of the Aasimar or give it an added level for adjustment.

Thanks.

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2006 :  18:52:17  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric:

Ya know I love your books, but I have been frustrated lately about the lack of canonical divine ranks for most of the deities in Faiths and Pantheons. I imagine that you are far too busy now to present us a complete list of the divine ranks of all of Toril's gods, but could you perhaps direct me to such a list prepared by some other scribe or learned sage, which has rankings of which you largely approve?

I know that Ed, in particular, does not like to give absolute values to deities and NPCs, but under Deities & Demigods rules, divine rank is important: if we run a campaign in which the deities are active, knowing who has divine rank 5 and who has divine rank 4 may make a difference in what clerics or druids, or the faithful in general, can do when faced by divine opposition from a rival Power, even though both gods may both be "Demi-gods."

Those who have the sort of high clerical ranks discussed in Power of Faerun may steer their religious activities in a new direction if their deity is teetering on the brink of a divine rank which may bestow extra salient abilities. For example, the emphasis may shift from, "Kill the Heathens!" to "Convert the Heathens!"

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Bahgtru
Acolyte

29 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2006 :  13:06:41  Show Profile  Visit Bahgtru's Homepage Send Bahgtru a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Eric,

In the Waterdeep accessory, Madeiron Sunderstone is said to have the same blood line as the Hartwick's from Hartsvale. It is a good explanation to his great size and strength. It's the firest time, it had been mentionted. Is that something you came up with or has that always been a part of his backstory? Also, it said he had a long and varied career as an adventurer in the Inner Seal lands. Are there any highlights to that career you can expound upon? Thanks in advance.
Go to Top of Page

Inaubryn
Acolyte

40 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2006 :  08:47:01  Show Profile Send Inaubryn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric,

Curious. Whatever happened to the web enhancement write up on Chaulssin: City of Wyrm Shadows?
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2006 :  21:36:25  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric,

Would you consider Volumvax, from page 173 of Faiths & Pantheons, basically a proxy of Shar since he has a divine rank of 0, which is what proxies have in 3/3.5e. Or is he something else?

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2006 :  23:57:55  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Eric,

Would you consider Volumvax, from page 173 of Faiths & Pantheons, basically a proxy of Shar since he has a divine rank of 0, which is what proxies have in 3/3.5e. Or is he something else?

-From the way he is portrayed in Shadowbred, I'd think he is something a little more.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2006 :  00:41:11  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion

quote:

Eric,

-From the way he is portrayed in Shadowbred, I'd think he is something a little more.

Ah, haven't read that yet. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2006 :  09:11:40  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
While speaking of Chaulssin, has any specific date of the return of the Spider Queen been set as yet (given the recent discussion on the timeline of 1373/74) and will this date become known before any printed sourcebook tells us the "exact" history of Lolth's Silence?

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gęš a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerūn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.

Edited by - Zanan on 12 Dec 2006 09:13:06
Go to Top of Page

Bocklin
Learned Scribe

Germany
151 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2006 :  09:32:08  Show Profile Send Bocklin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dear Eric,

I know that there is a NDA limiting what you can say, but within the limit of your freedom, could you tell us what a DM should think about when putting a group together for the "Cormyr - Shadowdale - ?" campaign arc?

The first book is coming out next march and I was thinking that it would be neat to have my players start new characters now, so that they reach level 4 by the time "Tearing of the Weave" is out (we're slow).

I am not asking for any major discosure on the modules, just some pointers about fitting alignments and affiliations. Things to avoid, maybe. It's really just to make sure that I don't end up with a bunch of players with unfit characters for the campaign arc when we get there.

I know it's a tough one (NDA and all), so I'll be happy with anything you can think of and share. Thanks a lot in advance.

Bocklin
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2006 :  05:27:20  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

-Well, what's taking so long, Kuje? Hop to it! Seriously though, the book is pretty good.

Elves of Faerūn
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 14 Dec 2006 :  05:56:54  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion

quote:

-Well, what's taking so long, Kuje? Hop to it! Seriously though, the book is pretty good.

See me in 2008 when the series ends. :)

Go to Top of Page

RodOdom
Senior Scribe

USA
509 Posts

Posted - 25 Dec 2006 :  02:26:37  Show Profile  Visit RodOdom's Homepage Send RodOdom a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dear Eric,

Do some lizard-kings claim descent from the demon Sess'innek? Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

Rolindin
Acolyte

USA
46 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2007 :  09:19:40  Show Profile  Visit Rolindin's Homepage Send Rolindin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mr Boyd in the Demi Human deities: the sword dancer class for Elestrie.
Is ther going to be a full write up on the class?
If there is a full write up on the class where can i find it?
Thank you in advance.

Edited by - Rolindin on 03 Jan 2007 09:20:31
Go to Top of Page

Bocklin
Learned Scribe

Germany
151 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2007 :  11:02:19  Show Profile Send Bocklin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You might find what you are looking for in "Faiths and Pantheons", a 3.0 FR book on deities.

There is such a Prestige Class there.

Have fun!

Bocklin
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2007 :  00:39:34  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is it just me or has Eric gone MIA?

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Bocklin
Learned Scribe

Germany
151 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2007 :  09:25:05  Show Profile Send Bocklin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Is it just me or has Eric gone MIA?

Hopefully he is well and just overwhelmed with all the FR projects he is currently working on.

Bocklin, crossing his fingers.
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2007 :  21:10:15  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric also travels a lot.

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2007 :  10:29:09  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric's out and about in the world for his day job, but he'll stick his head in when he can.

Steven
who's also been known to drop out for a few days himself

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2007 :  18:51:49  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Will someone please point me towards a listing of the Dragon magazines which had Age of Worms articles in them? I am trying to piece together the Dungeon series, but it's not always easy to find which Dragon corresponds to what Dungeon.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2007 :  23:52:40  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The DragonDex has a listing of the associated DRAGON articles for the "Age of Worms."

See here:- http://www.aeolia.net/dragondex/articles-subject.html

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2007 :  20:04:57  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was going to ask Eric this, but I am open to any opinion. Would the child of a Fey'ri or a Celadrin with a half-elf have any chance of being a planetouched elf or would they only be a regular elf?

Thanks.

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2007 :  19:21:00  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

The DragonDex has a listing of the associated DRAGON articles for the "Age of Worms."

See here:- http://www.aeolia.net/dragondex/articles-subject.html

Thank you, Sage. That's exactly what I needed. I'm going to note the URL for DragonDex for future reference!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 48 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000