Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Eric L Boyd
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 48

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2006 :  18:58:30  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Credits for Elminster's Ecologies Apendix II are :
Design: Tim Beach
Editing: Julia Martin
Cover Art: Fred Fields
Interior Art: Matthew Cavotta
Cartography: Dennis Kauth
Typography: Angelika Lokotz
Production: Dee Barnett
Special Thanks: Barb Emmerich

It confirms the presence of Yuan-ti, Ophidians (not obsidians ) and Nagas in this part of the realms (Serpent hills, Backlands and Forest of the Wyrms).

Ed (as product designer) confirms some of it in Volo's guide to Sword Coast.

The Ecologie's app. confirms also that the climate is cold, but less worse than the Savage Frontier.

Edit : I remember both promise (Sembia and Serpent Hills, my first FR campaign was set in the backlands region).

Edited by - Skeptic on 07 May 2006 19:04:04
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2006 :  19:08:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skeptic

Credits for Elminster's Ecologies Apendix II are :

And this can be found on the Wizards downloads page.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Octa
Learned Scribe

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2006 :  03:57:46  Show Profile  Visit Octa's Homepage Send Octa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric- I just heard through the grapvine that you were the one to direct questions about Selunnara to, so I have a couple of questions.

1, What percentage of the Folks dwelling in said city are Aasimar? Anychance they have a different favored class than Paladin? Cleric or even Wizard make sense.

2, Are the gates of the moon a timeless plane, i.e. are all of the Netherese wizards there still kicking around. I'm guessing not because otherwise it makes the interbreeding with the Eladrin all but impossible.

3, Is the form of government the same as in Netheril, i.e. did they replace the Arcanist (lady Arilana or somesuch) with another arcanist, or are they ruled by some sort of wizardly oligarchy?

Anyways, I'm thinking about basing a campaign around some of their young people coming to Faerun to find the eye of Selune and return the city to Faerun, and am just trying to think of some usefull things flavorwise. If Paladin is their favorite class then I'm assuming that Paladin of Freedom is in the mix. I'm thinking about making the Harper Paragon a Selunnarra specific PRC that some of the characters can join Knights of the Star Tower or something.

I have a sneaking suspicion given that Paul's new set of novels involve shade that they also involve Selunnara's return in some way, he hasn't tipped his hand but it makes sense to me.
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2006 :  14:31:04  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric,

I am very thick-skulled, so bear with me here...

In short, I'm currently DMing Age of Worms for my group, and I am not clear as to how Jergal could achieve the status of Overpower by having Kyuss become a god.

Any insight would be appreciated!
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2006 :  07:59:39  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, on p. 133 of SK (about Nagalands), three NPCs are mentioned :
Phelriss, a yuan-ti anathema.
Calliope, a dark naga
Pristoleph, a human wizard.

I just wanted to know if those NPCs were nealy added for this section or come from somewhere else (2e products included).

Thanks.

Edited by - Skeptic on 10 May 2006 07:59:59
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2006 :  08:16:07  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
At least Pristoleph appeared in Empires of the Shining Sea, if my memory serves me correctly. He's also one of the PoV-characters in The Watercourse trilogy.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2006 :  08:22:20  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

At least Pristoleph appeared in Empires of the Shining Sea, if my memory serves me correctly. He's also one of the PoV-characters in The Watercourse trilogy.

You are correct, he was given some stats in Empires.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2006 :  09:06:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't miss the Border Areas chapter in Shining South [3e] too.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2006 :  18:30:21  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I asked this of Ed also, but since you worked on Demihuman Deities. :)

Eric,

Demihuman Deities says that Corellon has dark elven clergy and some posters like to argue about that passage. So my question is, does he allow dark elven divine casters or are those clergy just lay worshippers? One of the arguements is, "Well, there's no listed NPC's that are dark elven divine casters of Corellon and so I don't believe he has dark elves worshipping him."

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2006 :  20:32:42  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was just curious if you could give me some details about Song Dragons, as I am thinking of creating a Song half dragon character and need more details. Unless it is NDA with Dragons of Faerun.

Like what is the colour of their electrically charged gas? Does it spark with juice?

What is the character classes that Song Half Dragons tend to favour? Is it like the Copper Dragons they look like? (In RoDragons, Copper DRagons tend to favour the Rogue and the Bard. With the notes in Monsters of Faerun and their name, I can see the bard.)

Also is the Always take female alterntive form of the Song Dragons like the Always in alignment (meaning 99% with a 1% taking male form)? Cause I was wonding if Male Song dragons take female forms? Or are there no male Song dragons?

These are just some of the ideas that are popping into my head. Thanks.

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2006 :  20:54:05  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Foxhelm

I was just curious if you could give me some details about Song Dragons, as I am thinking of creating a Song half dragon character and need more details. Unless it is NDA with Dragons of Faerun.

Like what is the colour of their electrically charged gas? Does it spark with juice?

What is the character classes that Song Half Dragons tend to favour? Is it like the Copper Dragons they look like? (In RoDragons, Copper DRagons tend to favour the Rogue and the Bard. With the notes in Monsters of Faerun and their name, I can see the bard.)

Also is the Always take female alterntive form of the Song Dragons like the Always in alignment (meaning 99% with a 1% taking male form)? Cause I was wonding if Male Song dragons take female forms? Or are there no male Song dragons?

Since Ed created song dragons, you should send these to him.

However, we can answer the female question since they are the same as weredragons, which were originally detailed in Hall of the High King, and the ecology says that they are female only and this is also why they take female form. Monsters of Faerun doesn't really expand on this and I know there is a half-song dragon in the draconimocon for 3e but that makes no sense based on what Ed wrote about them originally. There is also a song dragon in Elminster's Daughter and in the Rage novels. You can find more about song dragons/were dragons in Ed's answers in my sig, use the index/toc and search for song dragons/were dragons. :)

Edited by - Kuje on 10 May 2006 20:55:32
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2006 :  03:17:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

I asked this of Ed also, but since you worked on Demihuman Deities. :)

Eric,

Demihuman Deities says that Corellon has dark elven clergy and some posters like to argue about that passage. So my question is, does he allow dark elven divine casters or are those clergy just lay worshippers? One of the arguements is, "Well, there's no listed NPC's that are dark elven divine casters of Corellon and so I don't believe he has dark elves worshipping him."

As I read it... that particular passage has a "current" feel to it... as in, current in Realms time at the date of the sourcebook's publication. In other words... the dark elf clergy mention is relevant for periods after the Dark Disaster as well and not just lay worshippers.

The "handful" mention could represent those dark elves who, like worshippers of Eilistraee, have broken away from traditional worship of the Dark Seldarine and follow another elven deity.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 11 May 2006 03:24:24
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2006 :  12:07:09  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric,

my questions concern the Eldreth Veluuthra and their relationship with deities and divine magic.

Would you see it possible that Fenmarel Mestarine would accept the EV as his followers, and grant them spells? Fenmarel is the god of elven outcasts, and the EV certainly seem to be such in the eyes of the majority of elven population. Would the EV members see Fenmarel as "too feral or wild" to be revered, or would they embrace his worship if they had access to divine magic and sponsorship? Since Fenmarel is a CN deity, he has (according to Faiths and Pantheons Chaotic Evil clerics and druids as followers... and thus, the EV's evil alignment would not be in violation of his ethos. Would the EV rely on his faith/church as allies, if not as their divine patron?

Would the EV try to manipulate "human faiths" into conflict whenever possible, rather than slay them? For example, corrupting and manipulating druids of human deities... slowly poisoning their will and trying to lure them to do battle with human settlements, reaping the rewards as humans slay each other.

Would the EV ally themselves (secretly, without revealing the existence of their organization or goals) with any human priests or faiths? For example, would they join a human adventuring group to use them for their organization's gain?

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2006 :  12:10:09  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric,

Talona seems to have druid worshippers, according to Faiths and Pantheons, yet she is not listed as a "nature deity" in the FRCS - which I thought was the absolute requirement for attracting druid followers and being able to grant druid spells. Why does she have druids as followers, and could virtually any non-nature deity "corrupt" or convert druids to follow him/her?

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2006 :  12:29:15  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric,

another idea - would some elements/members within the Ev possibly try to tap into Moander's slumbering power in Darkwatch, in the finest Starym tradition?

Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2006 :  20:00:31  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Eric,

From Drizzt's guide to Underdark : Vaxall's elite servants include Gauntlet, Skullpyr, and the Doom Brigade

The Droom Brigade description follows, but what/who are Gauntlet and Skullpyr ?

Go to Top of Page

nbnmare
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
205 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2006 :  20:25:22  Show Profile  Visit nbnmare's Homepage Send nbnmare a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gauntlet is a Battle Horror who wears a helm of telepathy, allowing him to communicate with the members of the Doom Brigade at will.

Skullpyr is a Flameskull, specifically created to serve as Gauntlet's bodyguard. Usually it just follows Gauntlet around, but sometimes it hides inside Gauntlet's helmet.

More info and stats (2E) for the two are given in issue #69 of Dungeon Magazine, in Eric's Sleep of Ages adventure (which, incidentally, is one of my favourite D&D adventures of all time )

EDIT: Oh, and 3.5E stats for both Battle Horrors and Flameskulls can be found in Lost Empires of Faerûn.

Edited by - nbnmare on 16 May 2006 20:29:01
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2006 :  21:41:53  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow !

More info on the Vaxxal/Banite influence in the region, I couldn't hope for more.

Eric could I ask you an "unofficial" updated 3.5 "short-stats" (like HD + classes, etc.) ?

Edit : I might use the "Sleep of Ages adventure" with this twist : The first time, the gnome perished so no one discovered the place, everyone forgot about it and Vaxxal was happy with that. Some years later, the story is found again..

I'll also give the guardians a CR boost, and the PCs will have the choice to go there to restore them or destroy them forever.

Edited by - Skeptic on 17 May 2006 05:14:59
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2006 :  13:57:54  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Eric could I ask you an "unofficial" updated 3.5 "short-stats" (like HD + classes, etc.) ?

I'm hesitant to do this without a lot of thought. The problem is that the CRs need to make sense across the adventure. I'd start by looking at the logical CR for Vaxall and Bleu by doing a straight 3e conversion. Then decide what makes sense for target party level in 3e. Then I'd go back and boost the other monsters (e.g. flameskull, helmed horrors) if needed.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2006 :  14:05:09  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Octa

Eric- I just heard through the grapvine that you were the one to direct questions about Selunnara to, so I have a couple of questions.

I'm the one who named and put it in Lost Empires (I actually wrote all of Chapter 6 and lots of the rest of the book), so I guess that's fair.

quote:
1, What percentage of the Folks dwelling in said city are Aasimar? Anychance they have a different favored class than Paladin? Cleric or even Wizard make sense.

My thought was it was predominantly aasimar. There are probably some of Selune's other servants there as well. I'd guess that the pure human population is basically gone (wholly interbred to form aasimar).

quote:
2, Are the gates of the moon a timeless plane, i.e. are all of the Netherese wizards there still kicking around. I'm guessing not because otherwise it makes the interbreeding with the Eladrin all but impossible.

Your logic sounds reasonable. PGtF is the definitive source for the characteristics of Realms planes.

quote:
3, Is the form of government the same as in Netheril, i.e. did they replace the Arcanist (lady Arilana or somesuch) with another arcanist, or are they ruled by some sort of wizardly oligarchy?

Interesting question. Not sure I'd want to nail it down yet. If I had to guess, I might suggest they are ruled by a powerful mystic theurge, who combines the ruling traditions of a Netherese archwizard and a high priest of Selune.

quote:
Anyways, I'm thinking about basing a campaign around some of their young people coming to Faerun to find the eye of Selune and return the city to Faerun, and am just trying to think of some usefull things flavorwise.

Sounds reasonable.

quote:
If Paladin is their favorite class then I'm assuming that Paladin of Freedom is in the mix. I'm thinking about making the Harper Paragon a Selunnarra specific PRC that some of the characters can join Knights of the Star Tower or something.

Sounds like a good way to flush things out.

FWIW, if you really are making an all-aasimar campaign from Selunarra, I'd suggest changing the favored class rule for such aasimar to the rule used for humans. It shouldn't be too unbalancing and would allow a lot more player flexibility.

quote:
I have a sneaking suspicion given that Paul's new set of novels involve shade that they also involve Selunnara's return in some way, he hasn't tipped his hand but it makes sense to me.

No idea and wouldn't tell if I did know.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2006 :  14:06:58  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hi, on p. 133 of SK (about Nagalands), three NPCs are mentioned :
Phelriss, a yuan-ti anathema.
Calliope, a dark naga
Pristoleph, a human wizard.

I just wanted to know if those NPCs were nealy added for this section or come from somewhere else (2e products included).

Thanks.

IIRC, Phelriss is new (wanted to showcase an anathema).

Calliope and Pristoleph are from Empires of the Shining Sea. In 3e, I think the latter received mention in one place before Serpent Kingdoms (probably FRCS, but I don't recall exactly). Note there have been some real continuity issues with Pristoleph, as to whether he's a fire genasi or a human.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2006 :  14:09:21  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

It's been so long I don't remember what I meant. However, the absence of listed NPCs who are dark elven divine casters of Corellon does not imply one way or the other as to whether he has them or not.

My general rule is that are always exceptions. I try hard never to state absolutes, for fear of constraining future designers (including me!) or creating continuity errors when a future designer is unaware of the statement.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2006 :  14:13:42  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Foxhelm

Some of these questions are answered in Dragons of Faerun. I'd rather not trump that source and direct you to it. If you really can't wait, please let me know. DoF should give you new inspiration as to how to run a song dragon or half-song dragon.

Kuje, regarding the 2e->3e continuity of weredragons-> song dragons. I realize that this was probably the intent of the designers of the early 3e Realms. However, it doesn't work very well given all the rules changes introduced. I prefer to think of song dragons as song dragons and not really worry about whether they serve as a good "rules instantiation" for 2e characters described as weredragons. If and when we need to talk about a specific character from 2e who is described as a weredragon, we'll worry about it then.

In other words, there are half-song dragons in DoF. Apologies in advance if this bothers folks, but it's the best compromise I can reach between primacy of 3e rules and continuity of Realmslore.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2006 :  14:19:47  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion

Eric,

my questions concern the Eldreth Veluuthra and their relationship with deities and divine magic.

Would you see it possible that Fenmarel Mestarine would accept the EV as his followers, and grant them spells?

It's a good question, and I can't remember if/how I answered it before. Look at the Starym Moonblade in VGtATM and Fenmarel in Demihuman Deities and the organization write-up in Cloak & Dagger.

If I didn't answer it, I'd say Fenmarel would be tempted, but probably not. In other words, I don't see the Eldreth Veluuthra having clerics.

However, a new idea occurs to me. Perhaps the EV do have a few clerics, but those clerics all have the Heretic of the Faith feat?

quote:
Fenmarel is the god of elven outcasts, and the EV certainly seem to be such in the eyes of the majority of elven population. Would the EV members see Fenmarel as "too feral or wild" to be revered, or would they embrace his worship if they had access to divine magic and sponsorship? Since Fenmarel is a CN deity, he has (according to Faiths and Pantheons Chaotic Evil clerics and druids as followers... and thus, the EV's evil alignment would not be in violation of his ethos. Would the EV rely on his faith/church as allies, if not as their divine patron?

Like I said above, he'd be a reasonable choice and you could certainly go that way if it works for you. However, despite his CN alignment, I see him firmly in the camp of Corellon. Like Eilistraee, he ministers to those who don't recognize that the Seldarine all care for them.

quote:
Would the EV try to manipulate "human faiths" into conflict whenever possible, rather than slay them? For example, corrupting and manipulating druids of human deities... slowly poisoning their will and trying to lure them to do battle with human settlements, reaping the rewards as humans slay each other.

Good tactics for a group with limited numbers. While they might do this, I'd think they'd be morely likely to target certain folk for assassination whose deaths might provoke intra-human violence and then leave clues pointing to other humans.

quote:
Would the EV ally themselves (secretly, without revealing the existence of their organization or goals) with any human priests or faiths? For example, would they join a human adventuring group to use them for their organization's gain?

This would be really hard to stomach, I think. They'd rather shoot them from afar. However, look at the EV agent I put in Cloak & Dagger in the Night Masks.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2006 :  14:21:53  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Eric,

another idea - would some elements/members within the Ev possibly try to tap into Moander's slumbering power in Darkwatch, in the finest Starym tradition?

I always thougth Moander was a much better "evil elf god" than Lolth to corrupt surface elves (and said such in Demihuman Deities in the Lolth write-up). So yes, it's possible. However, again, I think that EV are not a very religious organization or, if they are, they are more heretics than willing to deal with dark elements.

Another idea: perhaps there's a fallen eladrin of great power (shades of Malkizid) that the EV could worship at the cost of a Thrall to Demon feat equivalent.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2006 :  14:23:34  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Eric,

Talona seems to have druid worshippers, according to Faiths and Pantheons, yet she is not listed as a "nature deity" in the FRCS - which I thought was the absolute requirement for attracting druid followers and being able to grant druid spells. Why does she have druids as followers, and could virtually any non-nature deity "corrupt" or convert druids to follow him/her?

I thought I answered this somewhere already. Anyhow ...

In my personal campaign, I pay no attention to restrictions on which gods can be nature deities (in other words, it has to make sense, but I'm willing to consider almost any deity).

Likewise, in my personal campagin I pay no attention to restrictions on which gods exist in 3e.

In game design, I often "forget" about both lists.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2006 :  14:25:36  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

Eric,

I am very thick-skulled, so bear with me here...

In short, I'm currently DMing Age of Worms for my group, and I am not clear as to how Jergal could achieve the status of Overpower by having Kyuss become a god.

Any insight would be appreciated!

Kyuss is the harbringer of the Age of Worms. He's the mortal agent (now divine) who executed the pre-lobotomized Jergal's plan. When Kyuss fulfills the plan and the 3 dead deities are reborn, that's the trigger for the ancient ritual Jergal set up. In other words, Jergal becomes the Overpower once the conditions he set up long ago are fulfilled. Kyuss is the chief patsy.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

Zeboaster of Ordulin
Acolyte

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2006 :  15:57:28  Show Profile  Visit Zeboaster of Ordulin's Homepage Send Zeboaster of Ordulin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

The obvious answer is that they should be like Egyptian tombs. However, one might speculate that they are almost like "condos made-a stone-o" (sorry, old joke) in cases where an incarnation survives in some form or at least used to. In other words, there might be small temples, quarters for priests, galleries of art appropriate to the deity, etc. There might also be "embarrassing mistakes", such as artifacts or evidence that the god would not have wanted made public. Some of those mistakes are probably monstrosities or magic items.

--Eric

I have a write up of an old Untheric Tomb called Enliant's Rest that I set in the western Hinterlands of Unther. It was the tomb of an incarnation of Enlil that was ambushed by Wild Elves just outside the Chondalwood almost a thousand years before the fall of Netheril(or thereabouts). The dungeon was written about a year after 3E just had been released, so it's pretty tame in terms of encounters, and you can add/subtract your own. Jamalla, if you want the adventure outline PM (or email me) and I can get you the .doc file.

Zeboaster, a distinguised character known for his sarcasm and perfumed beard, is currently in hiding after making one too many witty and/or truthful remarks.

FRA p96
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2006 :  16:10:55  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

My general rule is that are always exceptions. I try hard never to state absolutes, for fear of constraining future designers (including me!) or creating continuity errors when a future designer is unaware of the statement.
Which is how I interpreted this part of the text from Corellan's entry in Demihuman Deities -

quote:
He is venerated by all the Fair Folk, except the drow and those who have turned to Lolth, Ghaunadaur, Vhaeraun, and other dark powers.
That could suggest that those dark elves who have turned from the worship of the Dark Seldarine are among the handful mentioned later, in the entry, as the clergy of Corellan. You're not making it definite... so there's always the possibility.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 17 May 2006 16:12:28
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2006 :  17:40:05  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's cool Eric about the song dragons/were dragons, but I was mostly repeating what Ed said on the subject and so, without better info I was directing the poster to read the Weredragon ecology since Ed has said, in his past replies, that song dragons and were dragons are the same thing.

Edited by - Kuje on 17 May 2006 17:40:36
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 48 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000