Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Eric L Boyd
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 48

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2006 :  16:41:57  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's Dragon #97 and REF5. (REF3 is the first Book of Lairs -- the one that doesn't have three short scenarios by Ed Greenwood.)
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2006 :  20:56:23  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

[quote]Originally posted by ericlboyd

[quote]Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

(snip, snip, snip)

I bought Dungeon 130, but I can't find "the conversion sidebar." Where is that located, please?

On the web, found here:

http://paizo.com/dungeon/news#v5748eaic9k52

My apologies if that wasn't clear. Paizo ended up doing the conversion notes for all the adventures online.

--Eric

Thank you. I discovered it after I posted my message and haven't had a chance to retract my question.

It LOOKS terrific, Eric, but, unfortunately, my Zip drive is ferblondget, so I can't download it, and the Library's computer system is intolerant of printing PDFs directly from the 'net. I will have to cut and paste each page as Word documents and print them one by one.

Aside to Paizo, WoTC, et cetera et alia: while most of us have cool Internet connections at home, some of us do not, and some of us who do have cool connections have no printers or printers which are as ferblondget as our broken Zip drives. I understand the idea behind web enhancements, and I really do appreciate them, but there is a minority of people (of whom I am currently a member) who have difficulty accessing them. Personally, I would be willing to pay an extra buck or two to have all of the material presented to me when I initially buy a product. Until I am back among the speedy set, though, I truly appreciate it when you, Eric, or other writers post links directly to your web enhancements and discuss them on the Wiz boards or here at Candlekeep. (Hey, it's good stuff! Toot your own horn.)

In the interim, though, I quote Charlie Brown: *sigh*

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2006 :  23:53:55  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Faraer

That's Dragon #97 and REF5. (REF3 is the first Book of Lairs -- the one that doesn't have three short scenarios by Ed Greenwood.)

Thanks Faraer. I should be more careful with my REF-erences.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2006 :  03:08:04  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos
The items you mention are (in time-honored tradition) undetailed, unstatted and there for flavor - to allow DMs to have magic items they can give powers to for their own campaigns but have some foundation in Realmslore.

What George said.

That said, I can give you some references:

Alicorn Diadem of Sharrven -- Alicorn is a unicorn horn, Sharrven is the fallen elven realm in the southern High Forest discussed in LEoF. Diadems are depicted visually in either Hellgate Keep or Cormanthyr (blanking).

Bonestaff of Sadebreth -- See Netheril: Winds of Netheril, page 108, for details on Sadebreth (that's all we know).

Crown of Horns -- Detailed lots of places: Netheril: Winds of Netheril, page 108, City of Splendors: Campaign Guide, pages 99-101, Volo’s Guide to All Things Magical, pages 101-102, and Magic of Faerűn, page 171-172.

Jewel cage of Congenio -- Netheril: Winds of Netheril, page 107. Note that Congenio was the inventer of ioun stones, so my thought here was a set of ioun stones that create the impresion of a "cage" of whirling jewels around your head.

Pyramid-shaped Tear of Ascore -- Somehow tied to the mysterious pyramids of Pascore.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 19 Feb 2006 :  22:42:51  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric, our DM confirmed that our 14th-15th level characters are going to take some "time off" (= holiday!) from battling the threats of the Sythisillian forces, the Twisted Rune, and the eye tyrants of the Alimir Hive

I am convinced that he is going to take us through your Undermountain-
modules in the Dungeon magazine

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2006 :  01:42:15  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Asgetrion

Eric, our DM confirmed that our 14th-15th level characters are going to take some "time off" (= holiday!) from battling the threats of the Sythisillian forces, the Twisted Rune, and the eye tyrants of the Alimir Hive

I am convinced that he is going to take us through your Undermountain-
modules in the Dungeon magazine

I certainly hope you enjoy your "vacation". ;-)

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2006 :  01:48:30  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
IF you need help, Ask the Drow

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Feb 2006 :  03:35:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

IF you need help, Ask the Drow

And this is, of course, the name of an article in Dragon magazine, written by Ed Greenwood and Steven Schend. It is in issue 176, and tells of the drow of the Promenade, outside of Skullport on Undermountain's third level.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Volo
Seeker

Canada
58 Posts

Posted - 23 Feb 2006 :  09:55:00  Show Profile  Visit Volo's Homepage Send Volo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah, Skullport! What a beautiful city! (If watching people being tortured in the streets of a city that has never and will never see the light of day is your idea of beauty, that is...).

Volo's misunderstood. He's not an idiot. He's a FLAMING idiot!
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2006 :  19:59:41  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
DUNGEON 130 Supplement

Conversion notes for Bane (Hextor), Bhaal (Erythnul), Myrkul (Vecna), Dagsumn (Eligos), and Prendergast “Gast” Brokengulf (Loris Raknian) have already been mentioned in conversion sidebars for earlier adventures in the Adventure Path.

Which supplements have that info, please. I have managed to download 127 and 130, but have only had a chance to look through 130. (Superb, as I'd expected, but I may not use it as written -- one of my characters has had "close encounters of the eerie kind" with Jergal already.)

EDIT: I have found some of the info in downloads I did a while back, but not the info on the three gods.

Edited by - Jamallo Kreen on 27 Feb 2006 21:34:48
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2006 :  20:01:24  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Re: "Servant of the Fallen" feat.

Can Mystryl and Tyche be chosen as patrons under this feat?

What happens in the afterlife to those who have this feat? Are they false or does some later deity accept them into his/her divine realm?

Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2006 :  20:08:35  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

What happens in the afterlife to those who have this feat? Are they false or does some later deity accept them into his/her divine realm?

Good questions both.

I'd say you could take this feat to worship either, but it's not necessary. That's another way of saying that Mystra, Tymora, and Beshaba will answer prayers directed to Mystryl or Tyche. (Perhaps it's random luck whether Beshaba or Tymora answers prayers to Tyche?)

I don't think we've nailed down what happens to those who take the feat in the afterlife (for those who worship truly dead gods, not just old aliases). However, note the write-up of a certain related feat in Power of Faerun when it comes out next month and then we can continue the discussion.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2006 :  20:11:54  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Good questions both.

I'd say you could take this feat to worship either, but it's not necessary. That's another way of saying that Mystra, Tymora, and Beshaba will answer prayers directed to Mystryl or Tyche. (Perhaps it's random luck whether Beshaba or Tymora answers prayers to Tyche?)

I don't think we've nailed down what happens to those who take the feat in the afterlife (for those who worship truly dead gods, not just old aliases). However, note the write-up of a certain related feat in Power of Faerun when it comes out next month and then we can continue the discussion.

--Eric

Consarn it! I already have two "new" FR books and an old FR novel on my March "to buy" list. Now you tantalize me with a comment like THAT?!?!

Go to Top of Page

Octa
Learned Scribe

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2006 :  18:08:29  Show Profile  Visit Octa's Homepage Send Octa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric- First of all I can't wait for Power of Faerun. I love the idea of pcs that have powerfull roles in the community, and it is the one area that the ruleset has been fairly lacking on. I'm a rules buff, so I like to have some numbers to crunch about an organization's abilities.

Second of all I have another age of worm's question (I've successfully recovered from the great mintar-mintarn debacle of 06).

The Priest of Vecna in the Isle of Storms adventure, could you give a hint as to what you are going to convert him as. I was thinking about going all out on him and making him a Shadow Adept priest of Shar, because of her Role as the Goddess of Secrets. In this case I was thinking of making him a Shade as a replacement for the Hand of Vecna, and giving him some spells from the BoVD.

Or do something crazy like make him a priest of Myrkul who is wearing the Crown of Horn's. The power level on the Crown and that of the Hand are pretty similar.
Go to Top of Page

Octa
Learned Scribe

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2006 :  14:17:59  Show Profile  Visit Octa's Homepage Send Octa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well on looking that adventure over making the priest a shade is not a good idea since the demiplane containing the island is not connected to the plane of shadow nerfing many of their powers.
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2006 :  14:38:40  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Octa

Well on looking that adventure over making the priest a shade is not a good idea since the demiplane containing the island is not connected to the plane of shadow nerfing many of their powers.

I'm leaning towards a priest of Myrkul, with the hand of Vecna being a chunk of Myrkul that was not destroyed in Midnight's explosion. Chances are an eyeball survived as well. Maybe even a head. ;-)

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2006 :  22:57:20  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I'm leaning towards a priest of Myrkul, with the hand of Vecna being a chunk of Myrkul that was not destroyed in Midnight's explosion. Chances are an eyeball survived as well. Maybe even a head. ;-)

--Eric

This reminds me of the tragic 'Head of Vecna'-campaign that I read about somewhere... it featured two competing PC adventuring parties, and one of them started the rumour about the Head of Vecna buried in a dungeon. Well, needless to say, the other party found the false, mummmified head, and started to fight over it... with the winners decapitating each other in turn ("Maybe you need to be a wizard for the head to work?" "Good thinking! Now, lop my head off!") *sigh*

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2006 :  21:20:14  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Eric what are the chances that Abadda Moonglammaer (From the eye of Mykrul)is related to the Wild Elves of Laughing Hollow?

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2006 :  21:50:39  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Eric what are the chances that Abadda Moonglammaer (From the eye of Mykrul)is related to the Wild Elves of Laughing Hollow?

Ignoring the whole 'wild elf / wood elf' discrepancy introduced by 3e, I'd say good.

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2006 :  23:05:41  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric, I was wondering if you might want to chime in on a Dunspeirrin-related question of mine, here?

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Kajehase on 07 Mar 2006 23:07:08
Go to Top of Page

Octa
Learned Scribe

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2006 :  17:04:38  Show Profile  Visit Octa's Homepage Send Octa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric- As I was thinking of Inferno and the Rage of Dragons, I immediately thought that he would be mainly immune since he spends most of his time off Faerun, that got me thinking about the plot of the Rage of Dragons Novels and wondering why all of the good Dragons didn't just plane hop away until the rage was over (many of them should have high enough sorcerer levels to get many of them away, especially with how long it took for the Rage to take hold, which was many many months of game time).

This of course made me to want to give a heads up to whoever was writing up Dragons of Faerun so they can include an explanation of why this isn't going to work- I.e. the same magic puts up an interplanar barrier, or works on all of the now Demiplane in which Toril exists, etc... I would have kicked myself if I had to listen to people complain over on the Wizards board if I hadn't have given someone a heads up. So there it is, not sure if its a real worry or not.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2006 :  17:17:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Eric- As I was thinking of Inferno and the Rage of Dragons, I immediately thought that he would be mainly immune since he spends most of his time off Faerun, that got me thinking about the plot of the Rage of Dragons Novels and wondering why all of the good Dragons didn't just plane hop away until the rage was over (many of them should have high enough sorcerer levels to get many of them away, especially with how long it took for the Rage to take hold, which was many many months of game time).

This of course made me to want to give a heads up to whoever was writing up Dragons of Faerun so they can include an explanation of why this isn't going to work- I.e. the same magic puts up an interplanar barrier, or works on all of the now Demiplane in which Toril exists, etc... I would have kicked myself if I had to listen to people complain over on the Wizards board if I hadn't have given someone a heads up. So there it is, not sure if its a real worry or not.

Actually, I'd disagree: most dragons would not have access to spells to do that, either because their spellcasting levels weren't high enough, or because they'd chosen other spells. Plane-hopping dragons are a rarity.

So this option would certainly work for a few, but not very many.

Go to Top of Page

Octa
Learned Scribe

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2006 :  18:10:38  Show Profile  Visit Octa's Homepage Send Octa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Your right that it wouldn't be for everyone, but Ancient Silvers and Ancient Golds can both do it, and they can take up to 8 other dragons with them because unlike teleport there is no weight restriction.

Also if even one of them has taken the spell at 7th level they will get to use it twice a day once there and back, and that is only for an ancient Gold Dragon, some of those Golds were Great Wyrms who could use that spell 6 times a day easy. That would be 24 dragons per day. They certainly had the time to do it too if you look at the chaper date's. Even just one is enough.

And on top of this dragons can use scroll's and a scroll of plane shift is 2, 225 gold pieces. And even dragons that are much younger can use these scrolls with an 80% and up chance of success.
Go to Top of Page

Octa
Learned Scribe

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2006 :  18:34:32  Show Profile  Visit Octa's Homepage Send Octa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not to flog a dead horse, but on top of that there are portals, A great Wyrm Gold Dragon's Knowledge the planes/ Knowledge Arcana is on par or better than Elminster's
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2006 :  19:28:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, the write-up for Inferno doesn't actually say why he's immune to rages -- so it may be something else. Further, I don't see the elves crafting such a spell and then limiting it to just one continent...

Another reason the dragons may not have gone plane-hopping: it was difficult enough to convince them to sleep. Convincing them to go to a potentially dangerous place, one that most of the dragons wouldn't be able to get themselves to or from without help, is a much tougher sell. There's a difference between spending a few days in a hotel or having someone ship you to a foreign country without a passport or traveler's checks.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 08 Mar 2006 19:33:58
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2006 :  19:28:39  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Please stop giving me more reason to dislike the way this RSE was handled
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2006 :  20:59:31  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric, I don't know if you're the best person to ask, but here goes (with my copy of Power of Faerun on pre-order, just in case the answer involves that book):

What happens in the Temple of Tyche in the Shade Enclave? Is she still worshipped there as a single goddess? I haven't read The Sorcerer yet, but I haven't seen any mention of the Temple to Tyche outside the original Netheril: Empire of Magic boxed set. Some of my own characters have some curious connections to lost Netheril, and I (now out of touch with my former DM), am trying to figure out if a certain secret blessing was bestowed upon them in the past by Tyche, Selune, or Shar (fat chance of that one helping my guys!). If the Temple of Tyche is still functional, they would have a very good reason to "goen on pilgrimages to furnae hallways couth in sundrie londes, the holy blissful dead goddess for to seeke, that she might holpen, whan that they were sake." ... To coin a phrase.

Edited by - Jamallo Kreen on 08 Mar 2006 21:22:20
Go to Top of Page

Octa
Learned Scribe

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2006 :  21:43:05  Show Profile  Visit Octa's Homepage Send Octa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know I think that that's a pretty good stretch, I know that most PCs would way rather take their chances on say the Etheral plane than putting their lives completely in someone else's hands, my thought on the matter is just that dragons would do the same, I mean in the one case you are completely vulnerable because your snoozing, at least on the Astral they would get a chance to defend themselves and never have to sleep at all. Also a Cr-10 dragon is still a handfull for most of the random monsters on the Astral Plane, and now just imagine a thousand of them. Nothing would be safe.

But I guess it is moot since at the end of the second book didn't the Characters find a way to keep good dragons from raging? Its been a while since I read it so I guess I'm nitpicking.
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2006 :  21:26:01  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Eric, I don't know if you're the best person to ask, but here goes (with my copy of Power of Faerun on pre-order, just in case the answer involves that book):

What happens in the Temple of Tyche in the Shade Enclave? Is she still worshipped there as a single goddess?

To be honest, I don't remember much about the "Return of the Archwizards" trilogy, so I can't say for sure what, if anything, was stated about the Temple of Tyche in the City of Shade.

Assuming it still exists, I would suggest that the shades might have retained the "Tyche heresy". The "Tyche heresy" (I'm inventing here as I go) rejects the split of the two goddesses. See Power of Faerun for how to handle priests of a heretical belief. (This specific heresy is not mentioned, but there are enough examples for you to figure out how to build one. Look at the Dark Moon Heresy, for a good example.)

--Eric

--
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2006 :  00:37:25  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Eric in Powers and Pantheon it says Gargauth has a temple in Waterdeep any idea where it is? Is it in the Gralhund noble family estate?

Also is there any links between the Gargauth worshiping Gralhund family and the knights of the Shield?

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 48 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000