Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Steven Schend
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 57

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2010 :  23:42:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

Thanks for thinking of me, folks.

One week ago, I failed my Dex check while rushing out to my car for some work materials I needed for a meeting that day. Slipped on the ice at the bottom of the steps, fell back onto the steps, and broke both radius & ulna in my left arm. Surgery on Wednesday reset the bones and set them permanently to a metal plate in my arm; now I'm -5 vs. metal detectors as well.

Here's hoping the 1-handed method & MacSpeechDictate help me keep ahead of work so I can take the time to enjoy our impending arrival....

Did you make it to the meeting on time?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2010 :  00:07:21  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks for thinking of me, folks.

One week ago, I failed my Dex check while rushing out to my car for some work materials I needed for a meeting that day. Slipped on the ice at the bottom of the steps, fell back onto the steps, and broke both radius & ulna in my left arm. Surgery on Wednesday reset the bones and set them permanently to a metal plate in my arm; now I'm -5 vs. metal detectors as well.

Here's hoping the 1-handed method & MacSpeechDictate help me keep ahead of work so I can take the time to enjoy our impending arrival....

Ouch! Sounds extraordinarily painful. Here's to a speedy recovery.

And I wouldn't worry too much about MacSpeechDictate. That program is a amazing! I had the opportunity to look over some of the internal code not too long ago. I'm impressed with just how sophisticated it is. Microsoft has a looong way to go...

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 19 Jan 2010 00:08:23
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2010 :  12:55:35  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Congratulations to Steven and his wife Sarah on the birth of their baby boy. Name as yet unknown so he remains Nameless - how apt.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2010 :  17:10:54  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Congratulations Steve! As you've brought him ino this world, so may you get to bring him to adulthood, marriage, and children!

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2010 :  18:40:04  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nameless Schendson?

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2010 :  21:19:38  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Congratulations to all three of you! And might I suggest starting to prepare the Mentzer's red Basic as his introduction to the game?It never hurts to be prepared.
Go to Top of Page

bladeinAmn
Learned Scribe

199 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2010 :  04:20:03  Show Profile  Visit bladeinAmn's Homepage Send bladeinAmn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Congratulations!!!!

One of these days, the kid'll grow up and understand that pops wrote "Lands of Intrigue"!
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2010 :  23:52:58  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Steven....

It was very cool to see Rich Baker mention Gamalon Idogyr and his "flying ship" over Waterdeep, by a Sorceror in Corsair.

Was just wondering how much of his story you wanted to tell, but never had the chance.......and are there any other tidbits about him you can share?

Thanks!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2010 :  22:44:03  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Quick note to say thanks for all the kind words. Oscar Joseph Schend is now 9 days old and swiftly fattening up like any proper baby. I'll come back and answer more questions when I'm less sleep deprived....

Steven
who won't bring Oscar to Gen Con for a few years, most likely

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2010 :  00:13:53  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oscar?

A wonderful name, Steven. And congratulations to you and your lady love.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2010 :  00:19:55  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Quick note to say thanks for all the kind words. Oscar Joseph Schend is now 9 days old and swiftly fattening up like any proper baby. I'll come back and answer more questions when I'm less sleep deprived....

Steven
who won't bring Oscar to Gen Con for a few years, most likely

Congratulations, Steven! Although I'm a bit disappointed you didn't name him Gamalon Blackstaff Schend, or something like it!

(just kidding! )

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2010 :  00:42:21  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Congratulations, Mr. Schend!!

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Matthus
Senior Scribe

Germany
393 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2010 :  14:45:22  Show Profile Send Matthus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello to the new little one! And congrats to the rest of the family!

As I recall you never can be sure that the sleeplees nights will be over soon - but they are worth it at the end
Go to Top of Page

Snowblood
Senior Scribe

Australia
388 Posts

Posted - 13 Feb 2010 :  14:28:45  Show Profile Send Snowblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Steven...I hope Oscar is well & the arm is healing nicely...and you are starting to get some sleep....its been a heck of a time for you....I have a simple question.......what did Faer'tel'miir look like???????? Oh and while I am here who was Isalmyth and what was so special about her/his bracer??????

Aryvandaar, Ilythiir, Arnothoi, Orva, Sarphil, Anauria/Asram/Hlondath, Uvaeren, Braceldaur, Ilodhar, Lisenaar, Imaskar, Miyeritar, Orishaar, Shantel Othrieir, Keltormir, Eaerlann, Ammarindar, Siluvanede, Sharrven, Illefarn, Ardeep, Rystal Wood, Evereska are all available here for download:http://phasai.deviantart.com/gallery/

Edited by - Snowblood on 22 Feb 2010 12:48:59
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2010 :  22:34:49  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Less sleep deprived?

Dude, that won't happen in years. Took my 4 year old 2+ years to sleep
through the night.
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 12 Mar 2010 :  06:42:15  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I recently started rereading Blackstaff, finally managing to get my hands on it. Since when I last read it, I was in 6th grade, ther'll probably be lots of questions. Just so you have fair warning.
So, what can you tell us (anything? everything?) about Ashemmi, Sememmon and (I think) their son, Ashemmon? Also, are they the 'black-haired man straining against chains, his elf lover tortured before him by a shorter man in a mask' seen in Khelben's vision as he was Chosen?
What are the 'three truths, seven secrets, nine soulnames and thirteen omens' Mystra imparted on Khleben when he was Chosen?
Lastly, who were the others in Khelben's vision - the bald man with an emerald in his eyesocket is probably Gamalon, and I assume the two I mentioned above are Ashemmi and Sememmon - but who're the 'white-bearded wizard with a red streak of hair at his lower lip, the dark skinned man with a dead right eye and a gold brand on his left temple,and the toothless old woman awash in the filth of the gutters despite her rich robes'?

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2010 :  14:46:43  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just a few questions gathered quickly, since I'm hurrying. I'll add the rest later:
What secrets are there between Ilbaereth and Maerdrym that Tsarra couldn't hear?
What was the story of the widow at Lord Raventree's funeral?
Why wasn't Malchor Blackstaff in the end?
Why are fireflies considered a sign from Oacneth/Corellon?
What is the prophecy mentioned by Elminster of the Three becoming Many?
What were the contortions placed on Ashemmi by Manshoon, and why?
Who were Araermal Phyalandrar's byblows? And is his name a refrence to 'philanderer'?
That's all I can do right now. i'll add the rest once I've gone over them.

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2010 :  10:50:57  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Snowblood

Hi Steven...I hope Oscar is well & the arm is healing nicely...and you are starting to get some sleep....its been a heck of a time for you....I have a simple question.......what did Faer'tel'miir look like???????? Oh and while I am here who was Isalmyth and what was so special about her/his bracer??????

Faertelmiir looks, at least from the air, identical to its ancient form--concentric circular streets intersected by radial roads out to the outer watchtowers. What's changed with the current version are the styles of architecture, the colors, etc. There's now more than simply the elven building styles--there's dwarven stonework, halfling-sized areas & homes, appropriate dwellings for centaurs, etc.

As for Issylmyth and his bracer, I'm afraid that's NDA.

Steven

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2010 :  20:30:33  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Steven, How's Life treating you these days??

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234

Edited by - sfdragon on 20 Mar 2010 20:31:12
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2010 :  08:19:59  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finally managed to organize my last questions regarding Blackstaff:
Who are the 6 Argent Guardians, the 9 Who Remain, and the 12 Mysteries?
Who is Asraf yn Malik el Kahaman yi Manshaka? How does Tsarra know him? And what do 'yn', 'el' and 'yi' mean? Son of? From?
What can you tell us more of the Chapel of the First Magister?
What can you tell us of Myaaklyr's 4th Sermon From Myrjala to the Arathenes? When was it given? What were those before it? Who was Myaaklyr? Who were the Arathenes?
That is truly all the questions I've managed to think of.

Go to Top of Page

Dalmar Amad
Seeker

Germany
56 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2010 :  01:10:00  Show Profile  Visit Dalmar Amad's Homepage Send Dalmar Amad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Menelvagor

And what do 'yn', 'el' and 'yi' mean? Son of? From?

Quite right, according to Empires of the Shinig Sea, a great second edition source btw, 'yn' means son of. 'El' means of family or house, while 'yi' refers to this person's birthplace or residence.

Edit:
Dalmar yn Rashid el Djenispool yi Calimport would be Dalmar, son of Rashid, of House Djenispool, living in Calimport.

Edited by - Dalmar Amad on 08 Apr 2010 01:18:08
Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2010 :  16:24:00  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Steven, scribes.

I was wondering about a spell that Khelben cast in 'Blackstaff', as Malek. In the spell duel with Varret Tryshaln, where Khelben cast one of his 'simplest and newer spells', the spell that manipulated the cloth of Varret's robes, cloak and hood, thus constricting him. Is this spell to be found in any rulebooks, or have you jutted it down elsewhere? I would love to know the stats and name of that particular spell.

-Stig-
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2010 :  03:51:20  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Steven, I've got a quick question on something from your amazing Sea of Fallen Stars book. Specifically, I'm wondering about the Laws of Battle. I think they're one of the most interesting thing about Seros, but the more I try to put them into practice, the more headaches I get. I'd like to ask for some of your thoughts, mostly on the Law of Heralds.

It seems the primary purpose of the Law of Heralds is to nullify sneak attacks of all sorts. My question is, how does this apply in practice? Obviously, if you've got two full-scale armies that come at each other, it's easy to send out the Heralds, air grievances, glare at each other for a few minutes, then start the fighting. But what if one army is much smaller than the other? Can the smaller army use the time required by the Law of Heralds to essentially say, "Screw it, we're out of here?" And if they turn and flee, can the other army immediately pursue?

Also, how does the Law of Heralds apply to scouts? (And, by extension, adventurers) Say you have two armies maneuvering in the open space between nations. Each one knows in general where the other is, but they're trying to find an advantageous position, so they maneuver and send out scouts. Those scouts, as part of the army, would technically be required to follow the Law of Heralds. But it seems both rather ridiculous and completely cross-purposes to have lone scouts in the vastness between armies to suddenly pop up and say, "Hi, I see you, now hold still for a few minutes so I can kill you."

Is there a "threshold" below which you can attack without giving warning? And how does this extend to adventurers? I would imagine some groups would get bad reputations for "not upholding the Laws of Battle," but I'd rather not stigmatize all adventurers for just attacking in a more "surface" manner at all times. I'd appreciate your thoughts on this and anything else you came up with about the Laws of Battle but that never made it into SoFS. Many thanks.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2010 :  22:05:39  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Funny coincidence, that... my question is also regarding Sea of Fallen Stars (and it really is a brilliant piece of work). I'm working on a sahuagin realm off the shores of Osse (see the "Project Isle" scroll) and while browsing through that title, I found the name Keryth Adofaer, a young High Mage of Selu'Maraar... just wondering if that clan name has anything to do with the High Forest mythal city of the same (or similar) name, and if so, if anything more can be said other than "NDA"...

Thanks!

Edit: Added link.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 27 May 2010 22:17:24
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2010 :  04:59:43  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
any advice to share of writing stories??

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 28 May 2010 :  15:49:37  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not Steven, but to mention a few basics:

Read a lot of other peoples' stories, especially ones in the genre you wish to work in.

Write a lot of your own stories. (Practice makes perfect and all that.)

Outlines are good.

Almost always avoid alliterations.

Show your stuff to others, preferrably ones who aren't afraid to tell you what was good, but also what sucked, and can do so in a nice and constructive manner (I don't know about the rest of you, but I'm a lot more likely to listen to someone who says "this bit here doesn't really work," than someone who claims to have become nauseated by my prose)

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2010 :  21:52:55  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finished Blackstaff Tower last night. Thank you Steven, I enjoyed it a lot. Please write another. :)
Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2010 :  11:54:24  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rhewtani

Finished Blackstaff Tower last night. Thank you Steven, I enjoyed it a lot. Please write another. :)

I concur. More novels Steven!
Go to Top of Page

Rhewtani
Senior Scribe

USA
508 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2010 :  18:02:58  Show Profile Send Rhewtani a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Elfinblade - You know, I've since read 4 Dresden Files books. And I'm enjoying each on and simultaneously thinking ... man, I could use some more Blackstaff.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2010 :  02:44:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rhewtani

Elfinblade - You know, I've since read 4 Dresden Files books. And I'm enjoying each on and simultaneously thinking ... man, I could use some more Blackstaff.

There's a wizard in the Dresden Files who bears the title Blackstaff. That character has little to do with Khelben, though.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 57 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000