Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Steven Schend
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 57

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2009 :  15:00:31  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ashe Ravenheart
I know that Qilue was killed in the last batch of Lolth novels and Sylune passed over in the Shadowdale adventure book. It's been generally assumed that Storm, Laeral, Alustriel and Dove have not survived the Spellplague, leaving only the Symbul.

Ed has said that between Dove and Storm, one of them is definitely still alive.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2009 :  17:06:38  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Apologies for those waiting for detailed answers from me; I'm swamped (and I'm unable to juggle things as well as Ed) and hoping to get back here more regularly soon. I can provide some short answers, though:

No, I don't know the current status of Azuth or any of the Seven Sisters, as I'm neither an in-house staffer nor privy to much gossip these days (and what gossip I do hear falls under NDAs, alas). Sorry about that.

Yes, Mulvassyss the Sceptered is dead as far as I was concerned, but if you want her to crawl away (sorely wounded but alive) to dog Vhok's steps in your own games, go right ahead. That's devious (and you'll have to explain how she survived the destruction of Hellgate Keep).

Right. Time to get back to work. More later, gentles. Patience, praise, and pretties to all.

Steven

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2009 :  18:37:35  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:
I know that Qilue was killed in the last batch of Lolth novels and Sylune passed over in the Shadowdale adventure book. It's been generally assumed that Storm, Laeral, Alustriel and Dove have not survived the Spellplague, leaving only the Symbul.

Ed has said that between Dove and Storm, one of them is definitely still alive.

Don't make me choose which one I want to see more!

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2009 :  19:24:10  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Tell that to the people in charge of designing the setting--there's nothing I can do. In my Realms, they're all still alive.

Oh yeah, on Azuth--he's dead, killed by Asmodeus (who then absorbed his power and became a deity in the FR).

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 29 Jan 2009 19:24:55
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2009 :  23:10:48  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Tell that to the people in charge of designing the setting--there's nothing I can do. In my Realms, they're all still alive.

Oh yeah, on Azuth--he's dead, killed by Asmodeus (who then absorbed his power and became a deity in the FR).

As well in my Realms. Syluné is the only one to pass on, since the Shadowdale adventure actually had good reason and story behind her passing.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2009 :  23:50:48  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If wanting a slightly different flavor, I had Sylune become
unable to communicate for a generation or two due to the
complete emptying out of the silver fire in her to help the PC's,
but if one is not using the Spellplague, you could have her keep
absorbing the Weave until she returns to the land of the almost living.
Kind of like what DC did to Superman in the first battle with Doomsday,
saying he could have lived if they would have kept him in the sun.
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2009 :  23:11:27  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info on Kaanyr's mum!

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2009 :  23:42:38  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-I agree.

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

The Simbul
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2009 :  04:38:12  Show Profile  Visit The Simbul's Homepage Send The Simbul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
SPOILER

Blackstaff Tower
Chapter 20
Page 236
Line 16

The four words: "..either of their lifetimes.." pretty much slashed in twain my otherwise insuperable enthusiasm for this book with a vorpal dagger to the heart.

Why was it necessary to officially declare Laeral as being dead (at least insofar as Krehlan's kirra spirit is/was aware) when her fate--and the fate of a great number of other characters--was left untouched by the 4E Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide, and therefore left for a DM to determine?

As far as the setting as a whole is concerned, I simply do not see the necessity for her to have passed on. Specifically when Rhymaanthiin is so 'removed' from the rest of the realms, and when--like Elminster and the Simbul--she would reverted to an "ordinary" NPC wizard (albeit with the immortal creature type and multiclass ranger abilities) in the aftermath of Mystra's fall...and therefore would no longer be such a (to paraphrase Chris Perkins--who obviously never saw any of the 3E stats for the Chosen of Mystra) "uber-powerful" campaign impediment.

The Rhymanthiin sidebar in the Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide mentioned Laeral by name, and mentioned that the City of Hope still exists, and that those with malice in their hears cannot find it. But unlike Khelben, it did not give any indication that she was dead. That gave me a great deal of hope, and the drive to read through to the end of Blackstaff Tower far too quickly than is my normal pace, eschewing my normal routine of taking meticulous character notes or participating in (usually just by reading everyone else's comments) Book Club discussions.

Then I learned she was dead, and my desire to finish the tome diminished into feeble embers.

I simply do not see why is was necessary to seal her fate with what could have ultimately been a throw-away line. Renaer could have easily "name-dropped" Khelben alone to give Krehlan a shock, given the absent-father bitterness issues he is alluded to have had. By all accounts I believe Laeral's fate could have been left up in the air, as it has been so far with Dove and Storm, and I really wish it would have been.

Beyond that, Blackstaff Tower is nonetheless one of my favorite FR novels, and as far as those that take place in the 4E era (Shadowrealm does not count) it is my sole favorite among them....even if I have to tap my own DM creativity to explain why Krehlan was "mistaken" or "misled" about his mother's ultimate fate.

Edited by - The Simbul on 01 Feb 2009 04:41:05
Go to Top of Page

Quale
Master of Realmslore

1757 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2009 :  21:51:05  Show Profile Send Quale a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Steven

hypothetically, how much would the population of Myth Nantar grow in numbers from 1371 DR to 1374 DR

Go to Top of Page

panics
Acolyte

Canada
5 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2009 :  18:03:59  Show Profile  Visit panics's Homepage Send panics a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi,

Since its you that wrote Lands of Intrigue, I thought I should ask you the question.

How big is the elven city of Suldanessellar ? 3,000 elves ?

Also, is there any other elven settlement in the Wealdath ? *** ok, partly answered with Volo's Guide to Baldur's Gate II... ***

Since Suldanessellar is said to be 50 feet above ground.. how do you attack it with an army of Undead ? Lead by drow priestess of Kiaransalee ? (aka War of the Spider Queen heavily modified to attack Suldanessellar)

Thank you !

Edited by - panics on 12 Feb 2009 19:58:57
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2009 :  21:00:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found a question floating in the ethers...

quote:
Originally posted by leirbagsajoir

Hey Steven, while reading The Sea of Fallen Stars Campaign Expansion, I happened upon a map entry titled, The Caves of Hurok. According to the colored map, they lie just off the coast of Westgate. Unless I'm missing something, I can't find an entry detailing this site. Can you possibly show me the way or elaborate? Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2009 :  05:04:10  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Caves of Hurok?

Oooooohhh... Geography good... Mark like...

I do so get a kick out of some of the questions folks ask.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 10 Mar 2009 05:04:28
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2009 :  17:45:33  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings Scribe Schend:

I have a follow up to this answer you gave in 2004.

Direct Quote by SES
Yeah, I've lost my notes as to exactly which dragon/great wyrm it was that slew Sylvallitham; anyone know/remember if I'd placed him among the slaughtered dragons down among the Lands of Intrigue? (I've been rereading those areas recently and was astonished I'd left quite a few rather ancient dragons in place and slaughtered many more younger dragons.....) I can state unequivocally that Garnetallisor was not the slayer of his mentor.

As for those "arcing bolts of electrical fire," I wanted to underscore that this critter was something special. For visual purposes, think of it like silver fire--it looks and acts a bit like fire, but inherently it's something else entirely. What exactly has yet to be statted, and I'd just as soon let GMs handle that.

If you need my opinion, I'd say it's exactly as stated--electrical fire that burns and shocks; damage is standard dragon progression of 2d8/age category but it counts as both fire/lightning while bypassing defenses designed against either one. (In other words, you're only immune to/defended against his breath weapon if you're immune/resistant to BOTH fire and lightning.)

Garnet was a wholly unique creature unlike any to exist before or since. He was a chimera of dracoforms, and the only reason he was red in color and blue in shape was this: Saeval Ammath had many secrets never revealed to elves outside of his clan, and often only to a few select members of his immediate family. Saeval's grandfather--an exiled elf who was born outside of Cormtanthor and never trod its paths--was a half-dragon, born of a silver dragon mother. He was a great tracker and wizard of Ardeep (Sure hope I'm getting my dates/names right, but I'm winging it here from half-remembered notes that don't survive; George and Eric can correct me before this thread closes. ) and patriarch of a loyal and good branch of the Ammath clan in those western woods.

Saeval came to Myth Drannor to learn more magics but also to cure a great sorrow of his own--the silver dragon (long publicly a family friend but in truth his own great-grandmother) had died protecting him and others from battle-maddened Hlondathan mages scavenging for any magics they could find (and they also took their trade caravan to be smuggling weapons and magic to the Cormanthan elves, their enemies in the Crown and Scepter Wars). Saeval preserved the dragon's soul in a brand-new kiira, and spent the next 50 years or so trying to find a way to restore her to life. He studied under many of the great wizards of Myth Drannor and COrmanthor of all races and he wandered far and wide (rumor has it he venture far onto the Great Glacier and as far south as Chondath).

When he found a blue dragon's egg in his wanderings, he magically kept it from hatching or developing, and he spent a decade of casting to alter its form into something powerful enough to house the silver dragon's soul. While he managed to match the power of the red dragons inside the form of the blue dragon and make other changes to allow for the magical transfer, he either could not or did not change the dragon's gender within its shell.

When the egg finally hatched in 348, Garnet was unique. Physically, he had to relearn everything to adapt to this new form, but mentally, (s)he had all the knowledge of her previous life. Thus, even at hatchling stage, he had access to the special abilities of a very old silver dragon (except polymorph self, as the magics used to create his new form locked him into one shape; and damage reduction, which is a function of the physical body, not the mind).

Thus, even while Garnet is now physically a wyrm, (s)he's gone into epic levels for certain special abilities. Assuming, of course, that he still exists...

Hope this explains why Garnet isn't either evil or the start of a whole new race of dragons. While one could postulate that he could mate with either reds or blues and have offspring of that hue/form, it's far more sensible (given the origin and attendant problems) to state that Garnet, while healthy in all ways, was born sterile.

Whew.... Geez, Wooly....simple email and I expected it'd be a short response, but nooo.....
End Quote

I just wanted to know if the mental progress included earning the
spell-like abilities of a blue dragon as retaining the silver dragon's
, and if the spell progression would continue in tune with a blue's or if you'd add class levels.

Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2009 :  21:25:30  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Steven,

I'm glad Althen resurrected this one. Are there any plans for Garnetallisar in 4E canon lore? I'm assuming that if so, all you can say is <NDA> and I understand that. If the identity of Sylvallitham's slayer is still unknown, I'd like to open the floor to nominations. One last thing: Are you absolutely sure that those notes don't survive in any form?

Thanks.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2009 :  02:09:57  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I found a question floating in the ethers...

quote:
Originally posted by leirbagsajoir

Hey Steven, while reading The Sea of Fallen Stars Campaign Expansion, I happened upon a map entry titled, The Caves of Hurok. According to the colored map, they lie just off the coast of Westgate. Unless I'm missing something, I can't find an entry detailing this site. Can you possibly show me the way or elaborate? Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks.

See the entry for the "Lost Lands" in 'Sea of Fallen Stars', p.46.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2009 :  17:07:23  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Mr. Schend. I'm currently in the process of running the reclamation of Lothen and it came to my attention through Hoondatha that you had proposed a few items for The Fall of Myth Drannor that didn't make it into the adventure. I'd really like to hear about some of your items if that's all right (and allowed) and anything else you might be able to point me to for my players to discover after all the cleansing of the city is done. If it helps at all, I estimate my players being around levels 11-13 give or take... depending on certain choices that they could make. Thank you for your time, sir.

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2009 :  19:00:58  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Steven, I believe you're the most expert sage for this question.

Some of my French Fellow Realmers ask me about Alustriel's 12 sons. They would like to know if the name of their father had already been quoted.
I read in WotC's article (here) about Methrammar that his father had another son (Tyresia) with another women.
But I found no name about him.

Did you at least create and use one for him ?

Thanks a lot Master Schend

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.

Edited by - Fillow on 21 Mar 2009 19:02:45
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2009 :  08:41:31  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I finally managed to buy Blackstaff Tower, and so I re-read it, which of course, reminded me of some questions:
1) First of all, I join The Simbul in her disagreement about Laeral. Admittedly, it could be that Krehlan means 'Laeral's lifetime while she lived here' implying she is living elsewhere, but it seems doubtful. But I do find it hard to believe that you are saying she is dead, especially because
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend:
No, I don't know the current status of Azuth or any of the Seven Sisters

So what's the answer (please don't say NDA)?
2) What was Krehlan's issue with Khelben and abandonement by his father, referred to when talking with the trapped Centiv?
3) Khelben's spiriy says to Varja when she claims the Blackstaff: "I see my blood and Gamalon's blood in you". How is Khelben and ancestor of Varja? And who is Gamalon?
4) How could the Open Lord be so corrupt? What happened? Isn't the system in Waterdeep supposed to prevent this? How could the Masked Lords not know this, or ignore it?
5) I assume the words 'tluin', 'parhard', and 'stlaern' are curse words of some sort. So what do they mean? And however did they develop?
6) When Varja claims the BLackstaff, she is asked 6 questions. Was each Blackstaff asked these questions? If so, how were they all Blackstaffs? It seems unlikely all of them were both sorcerers and wizards.
Or is it just that the questions differ for each Blackstaff according to his character, and these questions were asked of her because she could not reconcile all her parts?
7) Is there any more information on the Magistree, beyond what is given in the book that you can tell us?

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly.
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

"There are no stupid questions – just a bunch of inquisitive idiots."

"Let's not call it 'hijacking'. Let's call it 'Thread Drift'."
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2009 :  14:44:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not Steven, but I can grab a couple of these...

quote:
Originally posted by Menelvagor

3) Khelben's spiriy says to Varja when she claims the Blackstaff: "I see my blood and Gamalon's blood in you". How is Khelben and ancestor of Varja? And who is Gamalon?

Gamalon Idogyr is a mage of some power. He's a noble in Tethyr, and also appeared in Blackstaff. His first appearance was in an old issue of Dragon (159, I believe), where he wrote a letter to Elminster and described several Spelljammer-specific magical items. Gamalon was one Steven's own D&D characters; I believe he was actually Steven's first. You can read a bit more about him in the Lands of Intrigue boxed set, available as a free download from the Wizards downloads page.

Vajra is descended from the Thann family. Some Thanns went down to Tethyr to participate in the Reclamation and became nobles there. And Khelben himself is related to the Thann family.

quote:

4) How could the Open Lord be so corrupt? What happened? Isn't the system in Waterdeep supposed to prevent this? How could the Masked Lords not know this, or ignore it?

Waterdeep has had some bad seeds become Lords before... In fact, the City of Splendors: Waterdeep book has one Lord replaced by a greater doppelganger and a potential Lord who works for the Xanathar! Without Khelben or Laeral around to poke around in the minds of potential Lords, it would be easier for another baddie or something to ascend to the Lordship. And all you'd need is one bad seed to eventually corrupt -- or more likely, replace -- the other Lords.

So if the majority of the Lords are corrupt, a corrupt Open Lord wouldn't be an issue. And considering what Waterdeep has become in 4E, I think it's safe to assume that the Lords are not the upright group they once were.

quote:

5) I assume the words 'tluin', 'parhard', and 'stlaern' are curse words of some sort. So what do they mean? And however did they develop?

Tluin and stlaern Realms versions of the f-bomb. Those are words Ed has given us as Realms profanity. I don't know parhard, though.

quote:

7) Is there any more information on the Magistree, beyond what is given in the book that you can tell us?

Years back, there was a Realms By Night series of articles on the WotC site. The first (and only, unfortunately) group of articles was on ghosts and hauntings in Waterdeep. The Magistree was described in one of those articles. The articles were written by Steven.

Edit: forgot to italicize a title.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 19 Apr 2009 23:04:45
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2009 :  14:56:50  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, if I recall correctly Gamalon himself is a relative of Khelben.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2009 :  15:16:16  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Also, if I recall correctly Gamalon himself is a relative of Khelben.

You are correct! They are related. Gamalon is his great granson if I recall rightly.

ed:sp

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 16 Apr 2009 15:18:10
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2009 :  16:17:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

You can read a bit more about him in the Lands of Intrigue boxed set, available as a free download from the Wizards downloads page.
'Twas also the same source that placed the Rock of Bral in Realmspace.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2009 :  19:31:16  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I forgot about Gamalon... it's so hard, not having the books.The only way I can get them is order them, and even then, only several at a time. It's so frustrating!
Thanks a lot for the answers, though. They're a great help.
EDIT: Also re-reading Lands of Intrigue... especially the Tethyr part. So I have many questions: Elminster mentions Shoon IV and Shoon VII, who were both 'evil incarnate'. Now, we have a tale of the cruelties of Shoon IV (the Death March). How about one of Shoon VII, who according to El, was even more abhorrent?
What exactly was the treachery Amahl VII used to defeat King Silvyr?
What was the Sword of Starlight, and where is it?
WHat did the elves really do to Lord Dinos Akhlemere?
Where did the 'Retreat of the Elves' go to? I'm betting on Evermeet.

"Shall mortal man be more just than God? shall a man be more pure than his maker?
How much less them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation in the dust, are crushed before the moth?" - Eliphaz the Temanite, Job IV, 17-19.

"Yea, though he live a thousand years twice, yet hath he seen no good: do not all go to one place?" - Ecclesiastes VI, 6.

Edited by - Menelvagor on 17 Apr 2009 15:29:26
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2009 :  18:29:05  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fillow

Some of my French Fellow Realmers ask me about Alustriel's 12 sons. They would like to know if the name of their father had already been quoted.
I read in WotC's article (here) about Methrammar that his father had another son (Tyresia) with another women.

No info about Alustriel's sons' father yet ?
Sorry for insisting fellow scribes.

Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Thauramarth
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 19 Apr 2009 :  23:23:55  Show Profile Send Thauramarth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

No info about Alustriel's sons' father yet ?
Sorry for insisting fellow scribes.

I have the following quote in my updated file on Alustriel: "The Tall Ones are the sons of Alustriel and Taerntym Tanagathor/"Taern Moonweather", an elven lord. (...) All in all, Alustriel bore Taerntym seventeen sons, but five of them are either unknown to the Silverymoon folks but famous within the Moonwood and their father's people or are dead. "

Ah, and here is where the info came from: http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7525 . It was originally posted by Steven Schend on the Realms-L List, and the Hamster quoted it.
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2009 :  04:51:30  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks a lot Thauramarth.
It was so easy to find it !

Thanks again.

La brute.com

Go to Top of Page

Menelvagor
Senior Scribe

Israel
352 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2009 :  19:50:52  Show Profile  Visit Menelvagor's Homepage Send Menelvagor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A quick question, again related to Blackstaff Tower:
I was hiking yesterday with a few friends. It was hot and muggy, and I opened my buttoned shirt down to about my navel. One of my friends, a FR reader like me, remarked 'Are you trying to look like Ashemmon?' ('cause in Blackstaff Tower, when Laraelra meets his ghost, he's described as wearing a robe revealing his chest to navel). Another friend, who doesn't read FR, asked 'Is Asemmon a rapper I haven't heard of?' We said 'no'. 'Ah, a gangster, then?'
It dawned on us that the way I (and Ashemmon) wore out clothes was typical of rappers and gangsters (down to tattoos - Asemmon's, not mine, I don't have any).
Were you aware of this, Steven? And does anybody else have a comment, perhaps?

Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2009 :  15:15:05  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Steven, congratulations on your Westcrown article (can you guess which faction I belong to? ) which will be published in the 'Council of Thieves' AP! As a long-time FR fan (and a big fan of your work), this is very good news to me, and I know a lot of FR fans on the Paizo boards are cheering for you!

Here's to hoping that we'll see more articles and even whole accessories written by you for Paizo (in fact, we're pushing really hard to get you and Eric to write 'Dwarves of Golarion')!

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2009 :  19:42:02  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hey stevve are you going to write any more books featuring the current blackstaff???

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 57 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000