Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Steven Schend
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 57

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2008 :  18:27:03  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Uzzy

I decided to have the Night Masks and Thayans at each other's throats, to add to the complexity in my campaign. Thanks for the advice Steven, I'll ask Eric in a second.

I've got another question. Amazon.co.uk just put up Blackstaff Tower, however, they called it Blackstaff Tower: Ed Greenwood's presents Waterdeep, written by Steven Schend and Ed Greenwood. The link is here.

Is this just Amazon getting something wrong? Or is there more to your next novel?

Amazon.com has a better entry, though the title's still a bit wobbly.

The series (of which my book is the first entry) is "Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep." I'm not sure how/why he's listed as a contributor at the UK site. Ed's seen the ms, so he knows what he's "presenting," at the very least.

I'll check with my editor to see how much I can talk about, and I'll have to get back to ye.

Steven

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2008 :  19:33:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

The series (of which my book is the first entry) is "Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep." I'm not sure how/why he's listed as a contributor at the UK site. Ed's seen the ms, so he knows what he's "presenting," at the very least.

I'll check with my editor to see how much I can talk about, and I'll have to get back to ye.

Steven

An entire series based on Waterdeep? Oh, wowsers, that sounds great! My fave place in the Realms gets some 4E lovin'!

... Though it's a bit too bad that Elaine has stated that Reclamation is the only Realms book she's got in the queue. I'd love to see her do another book in the City of Splendors, even if it is in 4E.

And your blurb on Blackstaff Tower makes it sound quite interesting. I'm looking forward to it!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2008 :  23:42:58  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Steven

An entire series based on Waterdeep? Oh, wowsers, that sounds great! My fave place in the Realms gets some 4E lovin'!

... Though it's a bit too bad that Elaine has stated that Reclamation is the only Realms book she's got in the queue. I'd love to see her do another book in the City of Splendors, even if it is in 4E.

And your blurb on Blackstaff Tower makes it sound quite interesting. I'm looking forward to it!

Indeed. I rather like the idea of a new novel series featuring Waterdeep as the main setting. There's still plenty of tales left to be told.

Sounds good Steven.

Actually, it'd be nice to see this type of treatment for some of the other more "populous" cities of the Realms as well.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2008 :  23:58:25  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Steven, count me as someone looking forward to your novel, even if I'm a bit sad that it will take place in the "new" Realms.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Verghityax
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2008 :  00:02:56  Show Profile  Visit Verghityax's Homepage Send Verghityax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dear Steven,
I would like to know what is the current status of the Storm Horn - Valkur's temple in Murann - since the capturing of the city by Sothillisian army?
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 28 Jan 2008 :  18:27:25  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Verghityax

Dear Steven,
I would like to know what is the current status of the Storm Horn - Valkur's temple in Murann - since the capturing of the city by Sothillisian army?

I'll have to confer with Herr Boyd on this one and get back to you. He's the scribe who's done more moving along the Sythillisian plotline of late.

Steven
who promises to have more later, but he's busy this week...

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2008 :  07:15:08  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Steve, I've got a quick question. Adding the prefix 'N' to an Elven word turns it into it's opposite, in basic terms. The Elven equivalent of 'Anti', in it's most basic sense. The Elven High Magic ritual known as 'Corrosion/Erosion' is, in Elven 'N’Tel’Orar'. Would this mean that 'Tel'Orar' basically means 'Pure', 'whole', or something to that effect?

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerûn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerûn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2008 :  20:56:36  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion

-Steve, I've got a quick question. Adding the prefix 'N' to an Elven word turns it into it's opposite, in basic terms. The Elven equivalent of 'Anti', in it's most basic sense. The Elven High Magic ritual known as 'Corrosion/Erosion' is, in Elven 'N�Tel�Orar'. Would this mean that 'Tel'Orar' basically means 'Pure', 'whole', or something to that effect?

N'tel-orar is the term?
N' is a negative prefix that means the whole term contradicts the literal meaning of the word to which the "n" is attached.

"Tel" normally stands for "lore, history, lengends;" as a root word, is also can mean "ages" and be literal and figurative at once--it stands both for aging and history in this context.

"Or" and "aar" (which gets shortened by one "a" as a suffix) both mean forest or woodland, which is also a synonym for elves as "home" and/or "land."

Putting this all together, you get "not-aging-forest/home;" in effect, the High Magic both advances time/aging to weather away anything in the area of effect, but it also removes all traces of history/"home" there and thus sort of return the area to neutral states.

Too weird? Now you know why I translated it as "corrosion" instead of being literal about it. Elvish doesn't always have exact translation tracks into English.

Steven

Go to Top of Page

Ladejarl
Seeker

Norway
55 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2008 :  13:59:07  Show Profile  Visit Ladejarl's Homepage Send Ladejarl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage
Indeed. I rather like the idea of a new novel series featuring Waterdeep as the main setting. There's still plenty of tales left to be told.

I for one would like to know how the magic that prevents Waterdeep
from plunging into Undermountain survived the Spellplauge. I was
half dreading another Tilverton.

"There should be much less violence, and more nudity and kinkiness in the world."
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2008 :  15:33:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ladejarl

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I for one would like to know how the magic that prevents Waterdeep
from plunging into Undermountain survived the Spellplauge. I was
half dreading another Tilverton.

The Sellplague conveniently flowed around certain highly magical areas. Which makes perfect sense -- because when all magic is going haywire, concentrations of it will of course not be affected! Of course, this doesn't explain why Waterdeep's Walking Statues went wild (they were hosed, but the city's other magical areas weren't?) or why Halruaa detonated (by the flowing around reasoning, it should have been relatively untouched)...

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2008 :  15:39:33  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Steven, I just wanted to say I very much enjoyed your FF story, and look forward to more. Ed wants everyone to know that STEVEN ALONE wrote BLACKSTAFF TOWER: whatever any Amazon listing says, Ed wrote the "bible" for the "new Waterdeep" (that Brian James mentioned in another thread here at the Keep) and had editorial input on TOWER (Steven even visited Ed to discuss it for a few days).
My most important query: okay, who's the mortal Realms analogue of Infectious Lass?
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2008 :  17:07:23  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
N'tel-orar is the term?
N' is a negative prefix that means the whole term contradicts the literal meaning of the word to which the "n" is attached.

"Tel" normally stands for "lore, history, lengends;" as a root word, is also can mean "ages" and be literal and figurative at once--it stands both for aging and history in this context.

"Or" and "aar" (which gets shortened by one "a" as a suffix) both mean forest or woodland, which is also a synonym for elves as "home" and/or "land."

Putting this all together, you get "not-aging-forest/home;" in effect, the High Magic both advances time/aging to weather away anything in the area of effect, but it also removes all traces of history/"home" there and thus sort of return the area to neutral states.

Too weird? Now you know why I translated it as "corrosion" instead of being literal about it. Elvish doesn't always have exact translation tracks into English.

Steven

-Sounds good. Thanks.

Elves of Faerûn
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2008 :  17:42:35  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Steven,

I've a few questions about the Moonstars. I'm going with the assumption you likely wrote the Moonstars part of Cloak & Dagger (One of the few books in my collection I'd kick an old lady down thw stairs if she tried to take it).

One of the characters in our campaign has taken on the role of the Delimbiyr agent for the Moonstars. Can you please provide some insigt on how said agent (a member for two year or a little less in game time) would fit in the org chart and with whom he would interact with the most? I see Blackstaff interacting mainly with his senior staff and expecting them to adminsiter to the lower ranking members with whom he has limited contact.

In Ed's The Code of the Harpers supplement he provided us a very insightful year in the life of a Harper Agent. Could you please provide something similar for a Moonstar agent? Lastly, as if I hadn't asked enough already, are there any tidbits O' lore concerning the Moonstars you could share?

Thank you
Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 18 Feb 2008 :  19:05:29  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dear Steven,

I wrote few days ago a question about Khelben in another thread but I don not know if you saw it. So I dare to copy/paste it within your own topic :
I'm confronted to a strange question about Khelben, when he was still alive of course !
I was told he was often watching over a peticular weapon-weaver (certainly by magical means) in order to prevent this weapon been caught by villains.

I proposed it could be Arilyn's Moonblade but I was said there was another person that Khelben monitored by magic means.

Do you remember somethinf like that ?
Thanks a lot... for reading this and for all you do for us !

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 24 Feb 2008 :  20:17:10  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fillow

Dear Steven,

I wrote few days ago a question about Khelben in another thread but I don not know if you saw it. So I dare to copy/paste it within your own topic :
I'm confronted to a strange question about Khelben, when he was still alive of course !
I was told he was often watching over a peticular weapon-weaver (certainly by magical means) in order to prevent this weapon been caught by villains.

I proposed it could be Arilyn's Moonblade but I was said there was another person that Khelben monitored by magic means.

Do you remember somethinf like that ?
Thanks a lot... for reading this and for all you do for us !

I suspect the magical weapon you're thinking of is Azuredge, a magical artifact crafted by Ahghairon in Waterdeep and infused with the soul of the Warlord Lauroun. I set up an adventure hook in the 2nd Editon CITY OF SPLENDORS to allow the PC party to get ahold of the axe to give them ties to the city (and to give them an immediate, if unknown, hook with Khelben).

That's the only one I'll admit to setting up in print. Granted, there's likely to be others, given how Khelben liked to keep tabs on great things and potential agents.....

Steven
who'll hint that Azuredge has a role to play in the novel Blackstaff Tower...but that's all he'll admit to at present...

Go to Top of Page

Fillow
Master of Realmslore

France
1608 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2008 :  04:12:28  Show Profile  Visit Fillow's Homepage Send Fillow a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much Steven.
This only can be the answer my team was waiting for.

"Today is a good day to smile",
Fillow Big'n'Book Mahlemiut 'Lead-dog', Son of Garl, Wanderer of the Masked Leaf and Namer of Oghma.

- Fight in the arena and have fun ! :
La brute.com
- Feel free to take part to these projects : Post-Spellplague bibliography ; 4E index project ; Taverns and inns of the Realms ; Dogs of the Realms ; Descriptions of places in the novels ; forums, RPG, FR Abbreviations and Acronyms
- Come and have a look at the already asked questions from the Forgotten Realms Trivia Challenge

I am a French FR fan, so please forgive my lapses in English language and do not hesitate to correct me. Thanks a lot.
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2008 :  01:06:57  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AlorinDawn

Steven,

I've a few questions about the Moonstars. I'm going with the assumption you likely wrote the Moonstars part of Cloak & Dagger (One of the few books in my collection I'd kick an old lady down thw stairs if she tried to take it).

One of the characters in our campaign has taken on the role of the Delimbiyr agent for the Moonstars. Can you please provide some insigt on how said agent (a member for two year or a little less in game time) would fit in the org chart and with whom he would interact with the most? I see Blackstaff interacting mainly with his senior staff and expecting them to adminsiter to the lower ranking members with whom he has limited contact.

Depending on where along the Delimbiyr you and your group planned/expected to operate, you'll be working under the regional agents--either the agent out of Loudwater (for the High Forest) or the agent out of Parnast (for the Central Sword Coast). Now, the character could be either of those, locking him/her in place. Otherwise, (s)he could work for either of those and be an independent agent, similar to Elsura Dauniir or Chvar Eldenbow, two Moonstars with whom (s)he might often work in the Sword Coast area.

Unless said character uncovers something extraordinary and runs up to Blackstaff Tower him/herself, it's unlikely (s)he'd be dealing with Khelben or Laeral or any of the senior tel'teukiira themselves. All of the 12 seniors are marked as to their centers of operation, so if your character needs to talk to someone higher up, whichever of the seniors lies closest to your area would be your contact (and most likely the one who recruited the character in the first place).

Thus, to work this into a campaign, you need to make the character familiar to the mid-levels or the seniors and make them part of your campaign. They're not just going to walk up to said character, hand them a badge, and say "Get recruiting, (wo)man!"

The easiest one to work in (unless I've totally got the geography wrong in my head) would be Simov the Pious, who can simply communicate magically/telepathically to anyone within a mile of his tower....or in more mundane ways, the PCs could keep getting work and summons by priests of Oghma (friends of Simov who unknowingly do the Moonstars' work as well). If they prove worthy and able, he may take more time to get to know the characters (but from a distance and through mediators). Still, if the character passes his tests and/or does the work necessary without revealing secrets to any and all, he may be drawn into the web.

Also, even if Simov only pushes Elsura or others toward the PCs, there's other ways the Moonstars could lurk almost in plain sight and the PCs shouldn't know about it until they need to (or the Moonstars want them to know).

quote:
In Ed's The Code of the Harpers supplement he provided us a very insightful year in the life of a Harper Agent. Could you please provide something similar for a Moonstar agent? Lastly, as if I hadn't asked enough already, are there any tidbits O' lore concerning the Moonstars you could share?

Whew. Well, I don't have time to set up a whole year (and IIRC, Ed's notes on that in COH covered several pages). I'll put my thinking cap on and see what I can come up with over the next several days, but I doubt it'll be as quality or as comprehensive as Ed's efforts (but we'll try). More later....

Steven

Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2008 :  17:04:33  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

N'tel-orar is the term?

Steven

Any chance we can get you to write an unofficial guide to the Elven language guide for Candlekeep? I love languages (working on trying to teach myself Japanese right now), and so every RPG language I can get my mitts on the better.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2008 :  17:28:51  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

Any chance we can get you to write an unofficial guide to the Elven language guide for Candlekeep? I love languages (working on trying to teach myself Japanese right now), and so every RPG language I can get my mitts on the better.

Ha ha, guess what I found shortly after posting this?

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

AlorinDawn
Learned Scribe

USA
313 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2008 :  19:43:15  Show Profile  Visit AlorinDawn's Homepage Send AlorinDawn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Steven,

First and foremost, thank you for your reply. I knew this was likely a "stop and make you think" inquiry .

I’ll provide a bit of home campaign history… Hopefully what follows will not bore you, but will be a preface of some inquires to follow later. The character (My character, Alorin Dawn, then a 8th level wiz, a 13th wiz when recruited) in question was recruited very early on by Khelben himself, who had initially met this character some 10 winters back when Khelben made a personal appearance and requested that the character and his group relinquish a magic sword that he and his companions had won from a recent adventure that was actually a hatchling steel dragon who’s family Khelben apparently knew that had been captured and formed by enchantment into the sword form. The character slyly finagled the surrender of the sword/dragon into the promise of magical training, which my DM advised me allowed Khelben to take the measure of his personal character and his goals/magical powers.

Alorin and the adventuring company he belonged to at the time (The Company of Lost Souls) had made a name for themselves in the lower Delimbiyr region a few winters prior to the initial meeting with Blackstaff by the slaying of two green dragons (one rampaging in the middle of Secomber) and the uncovering of an assassination plot of the late High Lord Greysword, who granted the group a plot of land in the outskirts of Loudwater, where some still reside today, 16 years later in game time, so Alorin was not unknown to Khelben if only by reputation. Alorin was also known in some circles in Waterdeep for the creation of a dozen or more new spells, some of which he had made freely available to the Watchful Order and as a part owner of the warehouse turned inn & tavern in trades ward, The Hunt.

In our campaign Loudwater (much of our campaign focus has been this small city and the High Forest to the North and the ruins of Nethril and the Fallen Lands) has become a member of the Lords’ Alliance and is protected by the addition of Delimbiyr Keep which was built between Zelbross and Secomber which houses the office of High Marshall, which acts as the commander of the garrison and the keep and answers to the lord of Loudwater, Secomber, and any other ranking Alliance member to has provided a legitimate reason to provide direction. The High Marshall provides additional troops to be stationed in Loudwater and Secomber and has constructed palisade like way stations a day apart between the two locations. The troops patrol and protect the folk and free trade in the region. Also a small keep has been built on the granted land in Loudwater by a former member of the Company of Lost Souls and still close friend of Alorin’s, a Cormyrian ex-patriot, Delengard Palinshade (19th lvl human fighter w/ the leadership feat), who formerly held the office of High Marshall of the Delimbiyr, and who’s former student Florin Gundwyn, of the Waterhavian noble family now holds the office.

Alorin and friends are also familiar with some of the Company of Crazed Venturers in Loene and Nain. The company hired Loene as an extra sword arm when they trekked from Waterdeep to Loudwater the first time. Loene had to call on the help of Nain when they got in a tight spot. Loene became the lover of Delengard for a shirt time and developed a friendship with a few members of the company that is still maintained to this day.
I provide this back-story in hopes that the fact that Khelben himself recruiting Alorin wasn’t too far out of his established character, in your opinion. I think at times my DM plays Khelben a bit softer and gregarious then I picture him to be. When we spoke to Ed at Pentacon, one of the things I asked Ed was for suggestions on how to play Blackstaff. Ed provided two words…James Kirk. Not quite what I expected, but I can see my DM tweaking the old mage’s personality a bit based on Ed’s info, heh.

Alorin (moon elf F8/Wiz13/Moonstar2)is in fact the Loudwater agent. He and his Halruaan wife Sabrine (human wiz8) and their two children (His son Delen will enter as a pupil at The Blackstaff academy next year)live a mile south of the city Loudwater in the tower they had built years ago. While he is very high level, as are his adventuring companions, our play style for this group is far less combat oriented than it used to be, with an occasional free-for-all. We more often see intrigue, trade disputes, resource management and lots of roleplaying than the huge combat sessions of old.

Now that some background has been laid down and you’ve cringed at my writing skills enough to give you a neck ache =), How do you think Alorin would fit in the Moonstars organization? Would he still be taking direction from and working for Simov? I see Alorin’s role as more of an information funnel and occasional strike force as needed, working with and for more senior members.

While I realize our campaign is just that, ours, your opinion in these matters is greatly respected and appreciated.

Edited by - AlorinDawn on 27 Feb 2008 18:09:21
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2008 :  23:49:49  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AlorinDawn

Now that some background has been laid down and you’ve cringed at my writing skills enough o give you a neck ache =)...

Well, I enjoyed reading that story.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 27 Feb 2008 :  05:59:31  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDMHa ha, guess what I found shortly after posting this?

-How you doin'?

Elves of Faerûn
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2008 :  19:22:12  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Quick question for any and all with access to the AD&D comic books (of DC/TSR fame, not the new ones), I have a quick question of trivia:

Which eye was Osco Salibuck missing in his 3 page appearance in AD&D #5? (I think I have the issue number correct there....)

Steven
who gets bothered by this silly trivia but cannot drive himself across town to where his comics are in storage for sundry reasons right now

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2008 :  19:49:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can answer in about 3 hours, when I get home to check. Those comics were among the first things I replaced after the fire (I got good deals on buying the entire run of both titles).

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Feb 2008 :  23:16:05  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"His name is Osco Salibuck. He stands three feet tall. He is bad-tempered and violent. Those are his virtues."

That intro was enough to make me like this character, even though he died a page later...

'Twas actually page 1 of issue 9, friend Steven. Issue 5 was the beginning of the Spirit of Myrrth arc, while issue 9 began the Catspaw Quartet.

Anyway, to answer your question, it was his left eye that was missing (or at least covered by an eyepatch).

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 29 Feb 2008 :  01:01:01  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

"His name is Osco Salibuck. He stands three feet tall. He is bad-tempered and violent. Those are his virtues."

That intro was enough to make me like this character, even though he died a page later...

'Twas actually page 1 of issue 9, friend Steven. Issue 5 was the beginning of the Spirit of Myrrth arc, while issue 9 began the Catspaw Quartet.

Anyway, to answer your question, it was his left eye that was missing (or at least covered by an eyepatch).

I thought so....but since I made a goodly reference to him in Blackstaff Tower, I figured I'd best double check on the eye to make sure it's correct.

Steven
who still thinks Jeff Grubb's first comic book story (the one noted above, which he did as a test to clear him to write the FR comic with DC) is among his best stories....and it gave us Ampratines....who could still be alive in 4E FR....

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2008 :  14:19:30  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Steven,

I´m in need of a help to better detail the background of my new and improved Realms player character (after years behind the DM screen, I finally will play).

I´m creating an evereskan sun elf that broke the ties with his family and go back to cormanthyr, to take care of the forest. He´s a druid / wizard in training (1 level in each class ).

What I want is an old and traditional sun elf family that have a good contact with the Blackstaff (he was trained in the Art in the Blackstaff Tower), and that is originated from Myth Drannor. Do you have some sugestion?

Thanks in advance

Chosen of Moradin, playing with an elf,only to break my own stereotype.

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto
Go to Top of Page

Uzzy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
618 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2008 :  23:19:07  Show Profile  Visit Uzzy's Homepage Send Uzzy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Steven. I've got another question about Westgate, if I could get a moment of your time. I'm going to ask Eric Boyd as well, given that you said previously that he was the one who did more on the city.

What would be the seal/symbol of both Durgar the Just, Croamarkh of Westgate, and the official seal of Westgate itself. I was thinking that for Durgar, a derivation of the Tyrran symbol would be suitable, while for Westgate itself perhaps a ship, surrounded by seven hills. Any ideas?
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2008 :  05:47:30  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings friend Schend,

What information can I coax out of you regarding the tunnels of Clan Tarynstone in Myth Drannor (if you remember anything, that is).
Go to Top of Page

rjfras
Learned Scribe

261 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2008 :  01:31:54  Show Profile  Visit rjfras's Homepage Send rjfras a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was looking for some information on buying land and/or buildings in the Realms due to some interest by some of my players. I came across hints pointing me to "Property Values in Waterdeep" with a link to geocities, but the link is no longer valid. Does anyone know of a new link or someplace to get a copy of the article? Thank you.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 57 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000