Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Steven Schend
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 57

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2007 :  03:59:18  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello-

I will be making the return trip to GenCon again this year. :) looking forward to seeing people again!

And, as far as my impressions of Blackstaff - i would have to say that while I will miss Khelben going forward - it felt right - as it still does.

However - I feel that it was also the flood-gates that seem to have opened - allowing others to eliminate other high-profile realms personalities. I suppose some change is inevitable. I have never actually used Any of these NPCs in my games - but having them gone still feels like a great loss. Ironically - I did not feel this way for Azoun. Perhaps I have a soft spot for arcane casters...

Dhomal

I am collecting the D&D Minis. I would be more than willing to trade with people. You can send me a PM here with your email listed - and I can send you my minis list. Thanks!

Successfully traded with Xysma!
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2007 :  08:07:46  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My thoughts on Blackstaff is the same as they were. One of the few Realmsbooks I have enjoyed in years, and looking forward to your next book Steven. On the other side, I don't think I will use the events in my own Realmsplay, but this is not an exception as I am most comfortable with having the Realms as "mine" when I DM. This aplies more to the city in the Highmoors than the death of Khelben however.

As for Gen- con; not my thing and wrong continent.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2007 :  13:28:25  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll be going to GEN-CON this year. And having a lovely dinner with your wife and other company on the Friday night if I'm not mistaken. Such a shame you can't make it, Steven!

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Brian R. James
Forgotten Realms Game Designer

USA
1098 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2007 :  14:30:16  Show Profile  Visit Brian R. James's Homepage Send Brian R. James a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I look forward to meeting you at Gen Con Steven. I think I'll have to pay a porter to carry around all the books I'd like you to autograph however.

Brian R. James - Freelance Game Designer

Follow me on Twitter @brianrjames
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2007 :  17:57:12  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met, Steven, and welcome back to Candlekeep

In answer to thy questions:

1) I'm very happy with the way the story turned out. A huge icon like Blackstaff coming to such a fate is more than fine by me. This is a great shock element and revelation for the Realms. I can understand why the event would irk some long time fans, but i'm in the category where shock deaths of popular characters is a good thing and keeps the setting alive.

2) Alas, i'm much as i'd love nothing more than to attend GENCON, and try to make every effort this year, I still won't be able to make it One day, maybe one day. I will be at GENCON UK, however

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2007 :  21:35:07  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

Again, sorry for the delay in responding. I've been on two deadlines most of the spring and summer, keeping me away from Candlekeep.

As for property prices in Silverymoon, they're probably 10%-20% lower than Waterdeep property prices BEFORE the Luruar Alliance; after that time, due to Silverymoon's rising importance, the prices rise to only 5-10% lower than Waterdeep's standards. What's still cheaper is the general cost of living, aside from goods that have to be imported (like some foodstuffs).

Steven

No problem with the delay, sir. I appreciate the information and will let my group know when next we play this Friday.

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2007 :  23:03:22  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Welcome back Steven!

It's a pleasure to 'read' your voice again.

Thanks. Good to be back here as well.

Now, 2 questions from me to all those out there:

1) Anyone have changed ideas or thoughts about BLACKSTAFF a year after its release? Just curious as to how people reacted to it a year after the fact....

(snip)

I read it a few months ago and was blown away by it. Some things (little secrets about Blackstaff Tower, for instance, or Oghma's temple) were very interesting, but learning the true origin of the S____ left me gawping! I immediately forbade my players from reading any of it, telling them that it had taken me twenty years of Realms-playing to discover the secrets which were in the book, and I wanted the pleasure of doling the information out to them a little at a time.

They haven't even seen a P_____ yet, so I'm not about to let them learn the secret origins of the S______!

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Edited by - Jamallo Kreen on 17 Jul 2007 23:04:23
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2007 :  23:47:43  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen
I read it a few months ago and was blown away by it. Some things (little secrets about Blackstaff Tower, for instance, or Oghma's temple) were very interesting, but learning the true origin of the S____ left me gawping! I immediately forbade my players from reading any of it, telling them that it had taken me twenty years of Realms-playing to discover the secrets which were in the book, and I wanted the pleasure of doling the information out to them a little at a time.

They haven't even seen a P_____ yet, so I'm not about to let them learn the secret origins of the S______!

-That's not very nice. Let 'em read it. Just make sure that they keep character knowledge and metagame knowledge (or whatever it's called) seperate.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2007 :  01:54:52  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion

quote:

-That's not very nice. Let 'em read it. Just make sure that they keep character knowledge and metagame knowledge (or whatever it's called) seperate.

I kind of agree--Blackstaff was a great book, and personally I wouldn't want to be prevented from reading it.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2007 :  13:23:58  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

I'll be going to GEN-CON this year. And having a lovely dinner with your wife and other company on the Friday night if I'm not mistaken. Such a shame you can't make it, Steven!

-- George Krashos

Not so fast there, Krashos.... I WILL be at that dinner on Friday night after all! Now get your hands off me lovely wife!

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Dhomal
Senior Scribe

USA
565 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2007 :  16:35:57  Show Profile Send Dhomal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello-

Somehow - this dinner is probably one of the bigger 'events' that will take place at the con! I can only imagine the discussion that will occur! Its too bad that there are not Tickets for this! LOL

Dhomal

I am collecting the D&D Minis. I would be more than willing to trade with people. You can send me a PM here with your email listed - and I can send you my minis list. Thanks!

Successfully traded with Xysma!
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2007 :  19:49:18  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Quick note before I hustle off to finish packing and scrambling to get at least a placeholder page down on a new website or two for myself.

I've written (and am currently in 2nd draft rewrite) on BLACKSTAFF TOWER, a novel for the Realms for Autumn 2008.

That's all I can talk about right now. Honestly. I'll share more when I can.

Steven

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2007 :  21:33:10  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion

quote:

(snip)

I kind of agree--Blackstaff was a great book, and personally I wouldn't want to be prevented from reading it.

Well, most of them aren't big on D&D novels in the first place, but I think that Blackstaff will have a bigger impact if they actually roleplay discovering what the P_____ and the S___ are. We just finished the death of Yamun Khahan and it differed wildly from Crusade: Azoun died in the Battles of the Golden Way and the PCs and crusading army were besieged in Telflamm, where, according to an augury, "help will come from the West," which it did, in the form of Lantanese gnomes who unleashed Gondian magic on Yamun and his Horde: "Gondian Death Bells" (or cannon, as we call them). Had they read Crusade first, it would have been very difficult for me as a DM to introduce them to firearms, but now they know of them. Azoun being dead in our campaign timeline, they may now freely read all of the Cormyr novels (mentally blocking the historical parts of Cormyr: A Novel, I hope!). As the campaign unfolds they will wind up in Anauroch, and there they will learn of the P______ and the S___, whose true nature is unknown even to those characters most conversant with Netheril. Call it vanity, but I like to think that in my campaign, role-playing the events leading up to a novel's timeline adds extra spice to the reading.

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2007 :  21:37:56  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Quick note before I hustle off to finish packing and scrambling to get at least a placeholder page down on a new website or two for myself.

I've written (and am currently in 2nd draft rewrite) on BLACKSTAFF TOWER, a novel for the Realms for Autumn 2008.

Steven

Well, at least you didn't have to maintain the poker face quite as long as you did when you knew Blackstaff was still in the offing. I'm really excited to hear this news.
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2007 :  21:49:52  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Steven

Please don't forget us, Steven! Do please keep us abreast of progress.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2007 :  00:45:33  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Steven

That's fantastic news Steven! I'm absolutely ecstatic about the prospect of more Realmslore from your quill.

*The Sage eagerly anticipates the future tidbits Steven will eventually be able to share with us...*

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2007 :  02:27:22  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Call it vanity, but I like to think that in my campaign, role-playing the events leading up to a novel's timeline adds extra spice to the reading.

It's your campaign, run it as you wish. *I* wouldn't want to be blocked from reading a novel, but that's me (and I'm big on reading the novels).

And as I mentioned elsewhere, I am of course happy to hear there's a sequel to Blackstaff in the works.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Bladedancer
Learned Scribe

USA
149 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2007 :  15:52:10  Show Profile  Visit Bladedancer's Homepage Send Bladedancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Congratulations Mr. Schend on your 2nd novel . I absolutely loved Blackstaff except the ending <grumbles>. Which of course I won't ruin for those that have not read it. As soon as I finished reading it I reread it again so I didn't miss any bit of Realmslore you dropped in it. An instant realms classic I say! Thanks to that novel I also have 3 player's clamoring to have a tressym as a familiar.
Well Anyways Congratulations!

Solarr Bladedancer
Mercenary For Hire
Master of the Ginsu Knives
They Slice They Dice They Will Cut through A Tin Can
Go to Top of Page

Draezen
Acolyte

25 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2007 :  13:25:40  Show Profile  Visit Draezen's Homepage Send Draezen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First of all, I apologize if the following has already been asked and/or answered.

Mr. Schend
I've just two short questions. The first one regards the Coronal Eltargrim. In Cormanthyr: Empire of the Elves on page 35 he is described as being the realm's greatest warrior. So I was just wondering what his military rank in the Akh'Velahr might had been, if he was a member at all?

And the second one is about Captain Fflar. I can remember that he was described as a 'young officer' in both the The Fall of Myth Drannor and Richard Bakers Last Mythal trilogy. However, the following entry on page 92 in Cormanthyr confuses me a little bit:
"Captain Fflar came to Semberholme with his wife to give birth to their first child in the Year of Seven Stones (335 DR),...".
Considering that the Banes' Duel took place in 714 DR I doubt that 'young officer' fits an elf who was at least about 400 years old at that time all too well, don't you? Perhaps these are two different guys, since Captain Fflar simply means 'Captain of True Valor'?
Could you please help me with that?

Thank you in advance

Realms 4e NPC Characters / Realms 4e Cosmology, Deities, & More

Participate in your own manipulation!
Go to Top of Page

Eledir Tarsis
Acolyte

Australia
6 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2007 :  13:57:00  Show Profile  Visit Eledir Tarsis's Homepage Send Eledir Tarsis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
G'day Steve, Its nice to see that you're still having imput into the realms even unofficially. I still think that your days at TSR were a Realms golden era. So I read with interest what you wrote in an earlier post about the "death" of Aravae Irithyl. In your esteemed but non-canon opinion what levels could she have been when she was murdered. Her murder seemed a little too clean and sterile even for a fastidious Starym. Everything a little to neat. No violent death, even in the realms goes un answered somewhere in the realms, especially not one as important as Felicity Irithyl. So is she dead... or did she decline the throne and do an Elvis impersonation? Maybe she is selling fried chicken in Evereska or in retirement in Lantan.....could you please enlighten a humble time travelling Mage,

Fair Winds & Full Sails

Eledir (Archmage of Sessrendale)

"Farewell to Arms" a vorpal glossary * Beauty is in the eyes of the.aaagh forget it!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2007 :  11:08:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I found this floating in the ethers...

quote:
Originally posted by Eledir Tarsis

So Steve what did happen to Aravae or is this an NDA???? Is Josidiah really dead, or is there bit of good old realm chicanery going on here.....hahahahahaha

cheers

Eledir.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2007 :  19:41:14  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Steven

That's fantastic news Steven! I'm absolutely ecstatic about the prospect of more Realmslore from your quill.

*The Sage eagerly anticipates the future tidbits Steven will eventually be able to share with us...*

*Wow*! This is great news... I can hardly wait, since I absolutely loved Blackstaff!

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2007 :  19:03:25  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really want to catch up with this board and answer the questions, but my brain's mush today. I'm falling victim to the Gen Con Crud (and having a tooth drilled and filled this morning hardly helped). Thus, I'll have to get back to these tomorrow or the day after, depending on when I can put more than 30% of my brain to work on the matters (and to get a chance to reread what I said on them in Cormanthyr et al).

Sorry for delays, but better than trying to write coherently right now....

SES

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2007 :  15:11:55  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I really want to catch up with this board and answer the questions, but my brain's mush today. I'm falling victim to the Gen Con Crud (and having a tooth drilled and filled this morning hardly helped). Thus, I'll have to get back to these tomorrow or the day after, depending on when I can put more than 30% of my brain to work on the matters (and to get a chance to reread what I said on them in Cormanthyr et al).

Sorry for delays, but better than trying to write coherently right now....

SES

Pardon me , but I could not help but overhear something about Blackstaff Tower...and drilling teeth.

If the novacaine has worn off yet, is it a stand alone novel?
Or NDA protected???

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2007 :  16:44:44  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All we know so far, is what Steven revealed last month:-
quote:

Steven

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 05 Sep 2007 16:45:54
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2007 :  18:01:32  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Im sure it will be worth the wait.

The suspense is killing me......I hope it lasts!

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2007 :  15:24:16  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:

You want the killing to last? Or you? Or just the suspense?

Steven
who promises that his 2nd novel will last at least as long as it takes to read the standard WotC novel (your reading speed may vary)

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2007 :  15:31:03  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I found this floating in the ethers...

quote:
Originally posted by Eledir Tarsis

So Steve what did happen to Aravae or is this an NDA???? Is Josidiah really dead, or is there bit of good old realm chicanery going on here.....hahahahahaha

cheers

Eledir.

What did happen to Aravae I already covered in CORMANTHYR (and left wide open for GMs to play with as they would in their own campaigns). If subsequent lore adjusts what I did/said, the person to ask is the person who made the adjustment. That said, she is dead without question.

As for Josidiah, well, I'll merely ask this--have they found a body yet? Well then....

Steven

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2007 :  15:35:41  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Draezen

First of all, I apologize if the following has already been asked and/or answered.

Mr. Schend
I've just two short questions. The first one regards the Coronal Eltargrim. In Cormanthyr: Empire of the Elves on page 35 he is described as being the realm's greatest warrior. So I was just wondering what his military rank in the Akh'Velahr might had been, if he was a member at all?

His rank sat outside the Akh'Velahr--he was the Coronal, and thus, he commanded the head of the Akh'Velahr. Think of him as the Commander-in-Chief, but he truly needed no other title beyond Coronal.

quote:

And the second one is about Captain Fflar. I can remember that he was described as a 'young officer' in both the The Fall of Myth Drannor and Richard Bakers Last Mythal trilogy. However, the following entry on page 92 in Cormanthyr confuses me a little bit:
"Captain Fflar came to Semberholme with his wife to give birth to their first child in the Year of Seven Stones (335 DR),...".
Considering that the Banes' Duel took place in 714 DR I doubt that 'young officer' fits an elf who was at least about 400 years old at that time all too well, don't you? Perhaps these are two different guys, since Captain Fflar simply means 'Captain of True Valor'?
Could you please help me with that?

Thank you in advance

Yes, I do believe we'd set that up as more of a titular/legendary name and the people referenced were two different people. If I'm misremembering, the Hooded One's in charge of meting out the punishments.

Steven

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2007 :  19:30:18  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

You want the killing to last? Or you? Or just the suspense?

Steven
who promises that his 2nd novel will last at least as long as it takes to read the standard WotC novel (your reading speed may vary)

The answer is D, all of the above.

You can't have a good Schend novel without killings. (Lots of Killings that really seem to tweak some people off!!!)

Lord knows I want to go on forevfer.

Lastly, life without suspense is just boring!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 57 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000