Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Steven Schend
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 57

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2007 :  10:36:12  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would say good luck but your a gamer with a girlfriend/fiancee/wife, which means that you already have supernatural luck.

Also remember that she's always right and your always wrong. Even when she says that Ed wrote Blackstaff, she's right and your wrong.

May you have a long life together and may I actually be funny for once.

Foxhelm

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!
Go to Top of Page

Lemernis
Senior Scribe

378 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2007 :  13:04:44  Show Profile  Visit Lemernis's Homepage Send Lemernis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Steven I know it'll be a while for you to answer, but I'll go ahead and post the question now.

The Isle of Skaug, detailed in LoI, looks like a really fun place. And an interesting place for players to get a glimpse of three different cultures living side by side (Tethyrian, Amnian, and Calishite). Your outline in LoI prvodes a rich location for a DM to develop by filling in various details. I'd be very grateful for any further thoughts or ideas you can offer on this location.

Here are my plans for it so far. I'd like to emphasize:

* the mix of Tethyrian, Amnian, and Calishite cultural influences to the island's permanent population
* visitors who regularly do business in Skaug are from all over western Faerun
* the island's enormous wealth actually keeps the place pretty well kept (for a pirate isle); it is presumably maintained by a slave population (i.e., slaves taken on the high seas)

The island's residents' primary identity would be as 'pirate' first, no doubt, i.e., belonging to that brotherhood. And specifically who they sail with. I'd like to develop the pirate culture a bit, I think. I don't know much about pirates but I'd imagine they probably have to commonly swear blood oaths of loyalty to their captains--although I'm not sure how reliable any such oaths could really be. Treachery is undoubtedly common. Anyway, I'll be taking a look at some RPG sites devoted to pirate culture for some inspiration (I recall seeing at least one site of this type in the past, anyway).

Again, I think the pirate identity would always come first. But to some extent, for a good number of the island's residents, identification with one's land of origin would probably remain fairly strong. I don't see being a pirate erasing those tensions. So I don't picture this island as a melting pot, for example. Rather, my guess is that the mix would more likely reinforce the three main cultural identities as very distinct. The three nations of LoI are all strong economic competitors, something I'm sure has affected the cultural attitudes. There'd be strain between Tethryians and Calishites, since Tethyr was subjegated by Calimshan for so many centuries. Tethyrian elves harbor a particular hatred for Calishites, since Shoonites almost wiped them out. Amnians are going to tend to relate better to Calishites as a rule. Etc. Anyway, I'm interested in developing the cultural dynamics when all three cultures are brought together on a small island.

Edited by - Lemernis on 22 Mar 2007 13:50:25
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2007 :  18:56:17  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

Well, I'm getting married tomorrow afternoon. Will be offline for the rest of the week, methinks. Take care, all.

Steven

Congratulations, Khel..."ahem", Steven.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2007 :  11:41:20  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lemernis

Steven I know it'll be a while for you to answer, but I'll go ahead and post the question now.

The Isle of Skaug, detailed in LoI, looks like a really fun place. And an interesting place for players to get a glimpse of three different cultures living side by side (Tethyrian, Amnian, and Calishite). Your outline in LoI prvodes a rich location for a DM to develop by filling in various details. I'd be very grateful for any further thoughts or ideas you can offer on this location.

Here are my plans for it so far. I'd like to emphasize:

* the mix of Tethyrian, Amnian, and Calishite cultural influences to the island's permanent population
* visitors who regularly do business in Skaug are from all over western Faerun
* the island's enormous wealth actually keeps the place pretty well kept (for a pirate isle); it is presumably maintained by a slave population (i.e., slaves taken on the high seas)

The island's residents' primary identity would be as 'pirate' first, no doubt, i.e., belonging to that brotherhood. And specifically who they sail with. I'd like to develop the pirate culture a bit, I think. I don't know much about pirates but I'd imagine they probably have to commonly swear blood oaths of loyalty to their captains--although I'm not sure how reliable any such oaths could really be. Treachery is undoubtedly common. Anyway, I'll be taking a look at some RPG sites devoted to pirate culture for some inspiration (I recall seeing at least one site of this type in the past, anyway).

Again, I think the pirate identity would always come first. But to some extent, for a good number of the island's residents, identification with one's land of origin would probably remain fairly strong. I don't see being a pirate erasing those tensions. So I don't picture this island as a melting pot, for example. Rather, my guess is that the mix would more likely reinforce the three main cultural identities as very distinct. The three nations of LoI are all strong economic competitors, something I'm sure has affected the cultural attitudes. There'd be strain between Tethryians and Calishites, since Tethyr was subjegated by Calimshan for so many centuries. Tethyrian elves harbor a particular hatred for Calishites, since Shoonites almost wiped them out. Amnians are going to tend to relate better to Calishites as a rule. Etc. Anyway, I'm interested in developing the cultural dynamics when all three cultures are brought together on a small island.

Not much to add here other than "Good work, and good luck."

Seriously. You've already put as much or more thought into Skaug as I did years ago.

Only suggestion--make sure every captain/pirate has his/her own reason for being a pirate. One of the easiest might be a few expat Tethyrian nobles who fled the Black Days and their children contine their aggressive anti-government stances...especially against the new regimes.

Steven
who also isn't changing his name because of the wedding

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2007 :  04:04:08  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Steven,

Congratulations on the Nuptuals!!!

Will we ever learn more of what you reffered to as "The Adventures of Laeral and the Blackstaff's Babies"??

Are you working on anything presently?(A realms Novel?)
We don't want to pry, but you are way to talented to not do more Novels!!(If that is something you want to do that is)

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2007 :  04:21:44  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just saw that you were getting married, Mr. Schend. I would like to send along all of my best wishes to you and a congratulations as well.

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2007 :  15:12:14  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the kind comments and good wishes. The wedding went off without a hitch, though the all-day rain and all-night thunderstorm made us feel like we'd been blessed by multiple pantheons with special solos by Talos, Thor, and the Thunderbird of Native American mythos.

As for the "Adventures of K&L's Babies," that's not for me to say at present. Lips are sealed with the stitching spelling out NDA. Same goes for what I'm working on, though I will tell you that I'm on horrible deadlines to finish a big project soon (and have kicked a pirate story out the door this morning as well).

Another thought on Skaug came to me as I wrote my pirate story..... If you've a wizard helming your pirate ship, you'd be a fool not to have some air elementals on hand to ensure you good winds (or at least better than those of your prey), water elementals to ease the currents your way, not to mention a wood golem as your figureheads. That is, if you're already a wizard who's gone pirate. I suspect it'd be too expensive for a pirate to hire a wizard for such things....but marrying one isn't out of the question either....

SES

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2007 :  02:28:36  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks for all the kind comments and good wishes. The wedding went off without a hitch, though the all-day rain and all-night thunderstorm made us feel like we'd been blessed by multiple pantheons with special solos by Talos, Thor, and the Thunderbird of Native American mythos.

As for the "Adventures of K&L's Babies," that's not for me to say at present. Lips are sealed with the stitching spelling out NDA. Same goes for what I'm working on, though I will tell you that I'm on horrible deadlines to finish a big project soon (and have kicked a pirate story out the door this morning as well).

Another thought on Skaug came to me as I wrote my pirate story..... If you've a wizard helming your pirate ship, you'd be a fool not to have some air elementals on hand to ensure you good winds (or at least better than those of your prey), water elementals to ease the currents your way, not to mention a wood golem as your figureheads. That is, if you're already a wizard who's gone pirate. I suspect it'd be too expensive for a pirate to hire a wizard for such things....but marrying one isn't out of the question either....

SES

So your lovely new bride is a wizard? ;)

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2007 :  21:26:30  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

(snip)

SES

Mazel tov! May you spawn as much as you desire, and may your fry all be a delight to you!

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Lemernis
Senior Scribe

378 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2007 :  14:40:33  Show Profile  Visit Lemernis's Homepage Send Lemernis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The wedding went off without a hitch, though the all-day rain and all-night thunderstorm made us feel like we'd been blessed by multiple pantheons with special solos by Talos, Thor, and the Thunderbird of Native American mythos.

Rain on the wedding day is supposed to augur good fortune, perhaps because it symbolizes a union of the heavens and earth? Anyway it's said to be good luck!

quote:

have kicked a pirate story out the door this morning as well

Cool! Arr.

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2007 :  23:48:56  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Well, back to business, I guess...

-I have a question concerning Elves, but I'm not sure how much you can/want to answer. I figure that anything you don't feel qualified answering, I'll ask Ed.

-Basically, how do Elves keep track of the passage of time, with their extremely long lives and all? We have examples of how they did so in Cormanthyr, but how about in the present? What are the relevant Elven terms for 'Day', 'Tenday', 'Month', 'Year', 'Decade', or whatever Elves use?

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerûn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerûn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2007 :  04:56:02  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Back to work?

Ha, you funny.

Being just married, he should be too busy for us for several weeks. And I don't mean in the bedroom but helping around with chores around the house (dishes, laundry, getting used to another person)
Marriage brings about a lot of changes in a gamer... hey wait a minute
Steve are you a gamer?
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2007 :  01:09:26  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by althen artren

Back to work?

Ha, you funny.

Being just married, he should be too busy for us for several weeks. And I don't mean in the bedroom but helping around with chores around the house (dishes, laundry, getting used to another person)
Marriage brings about a lot of changes in a gamer... hey wait a minute
Steve are you a gamer?

-I'm trying to help get him out of doing those chores.

"Aw, sorry honey. I'd love to do those dishes, but work calls..."

(Followed, shortly, by a slap in the face to a certain FR designer)

Elves of Faerûn
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2007 :  15:25:21  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Steven. I have a question I posted in the author's private chamber for you.

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2007 :  19:11:25  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion
-Basically, how do Elves keep track of the passage of time, with their extremely long lives and all? We have examples of how they did so in Cormanthyr, but how about in the present? What are the relevant Elven terms for 'Day', 'Tenday', 'Month', 'Year', 'Decade', or whatever Elves use?

I think I pretty much covered this in CORMANTHYR ten years or so back; I'll try and scare up the exact words/details on the terms you're asking on, but can't think of them offhand.

In general, I suspect elves won't acknowledge tendays that often, save when dealing with humans or something very exacting. If you read elven histories, they rarely discuss things (except those of major import) that last less than ten years save the birth or passing of major personalities. But then again, I may have to reread my old comments on elves and time and revise said commentary. ASAP....but probably not this month.

Steven
who has to meet a deadline

Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 20 Apr 2007 :  04:53:06  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Dagnirion

I think I pretty much covered this in CORMANTHYR ten years or so back; I'll try and scare up the exact words/details on the terms you're asking on, but can't think of them offhand.

In general, I suspect elves won't acknowledge tendays that often, save when dealing with humans or something very exacting. If you read elven histories, they rarely discuss things (except those of major import) that last less than ten years save the birth or passing of major personalities. But then again, I may have to reread my old comments on elves and time and revise said commentary. ASAP....but probably not this month.

Steven
who has to meet a deadline

-With the exception of exact terms for certain passages of time, you spell things out well. I wasn't sure if said opinions on the passage of time were just unique to Cormanthyr/Myth Drannor, or if that was how the general Sun/Moon Elven populace did things as well.

-Anyway, good luck meeting that deadline.

Elves of Faerûn
Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2007 :  19:45:42  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a few questions about Fey'ri, and I am asking you as a consultant who has experiences with this topic:

From what is shown in much of the third/third point five edition of the Fey'ri, it seems that a large number of succubi were involved with the processes of the fey'ri creation.

My question is did the elves of these families make deals with any Demon Princes for access to a large number of these and other demons? If so, which ones? If it was just succubi or their linked demons, I could see Malcanthet or Graz'zt being involved.

Also if there is a Demon Prince was involved, could these Greater evils kept some of the demon-tainted elves for their own personal use? Or even have spawned some family lines of Fey'ri that could be reflected in their appearance?

I have an idea for a fey'ri who is in the process of being redeemed by the love of a compassionate Celadrin (A celestial counterpart of the Fey'ri created by Eric Boyd for Dragon 350), but I am trying to brew up a background for her. Perhaps something unique as forshadowing her unique position.

Thanks for trying to help me and all of the others. I hope I haven't taken up much of your time needed for work or for love, being a newlywed.

Foxhelm

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2007 :  06:02:25  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello again, Mr. Schend.

I have as of late been looking over your Property Values in Waterdeep, and a few of my players are kind of playing with the idea of picking up a house or apartment inside of Waterdeep. (They are 19th level, and I am rather proud of them).

However, one of the PCs would rather settle down in Silverymoon and purchase a house (or mansion, whatever the funds allow) there. Could you please tell me how I could effectively arrive at a decision on how much a home or estates would run in Silverymoon? I am assuming that it wouldn't be quite as steep as Waterdeep, but I wanted to ask you for your expert thoughts and insights on the matter. Thank you for your time, Mr. Schend.

Respectfully,
Penknight

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document

Edited by - Penknight on 11 Jul 2007 05:12:44
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3736 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2007 :  06:03:41  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Mr. Schend, I see you haven't been around for a while. I just want to post this now, in case I forget. It's a pretty broad request, anyway. Basically, can you share with us anything about Srinshinnar, the Elven settlement mentioned on page 122 of Cormanthyr: Empire of the Elves.

Elves of Faerûn

Edited by - Lord Karsus on 12 Jun 2007 06:04:24
Go to Top of Page

DMJutti
Acolyte

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2007 :  05:01:47  Show Profile  Visit DMJutti's Homepage Send DMJutti a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Steven, you answered a question of mine a ways back about Vamar the cold. I was wondering if you could also look up what u got on the Starskull who etched the star of mystra on his forehead. he is a lich agent of the twisted rune. Thanks
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2007 :  01:07:48  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Foxhelm

I have a few questions about Fey'ri, and I am asking you as a consultant who has experiences with this topic:

From what is shown in much of the third/third point five edition of the Fey'ri, it seems that a large number of succubi were involved with the processes of the fey'ri creation.

My question is did the elves of these families make deals with any Demon Princes for access to a large number of these and other demons? If so, which ones? If it was just succubi or their linked demons, I could see Malcanthet or Graz'zt being involved.

Also if there is a Demon Prince was involved, could these Greater evils kept some of the demon-tainted elves for their own personal use? Or even have spawned some family lines of Fey'ri that could be reflected in their appearance?

I have an idea for a fey'ri who is in the process of being redeemed by the love of a compassionate Celadrin (A celestial counterpart of the Fey'ri created by Eric Boyd for Dragon 350), but I am trying to brew up a background for her. Perhaps something unique as forshadowing her unique position.

Thanks for trying to help me and all of the others. I hope I haven't taken up much of your time needed for work or for love, being a newlywed.

Foxhelm

All your ideas above are great (i.e. demon princes involved with alliances with the head of the Dlardrageth to get enough lower demons involved). I'd support all of them, without the responsibility of naming any one prince or duke--after all, why close out possibilities when there are so many to choose from... If you want, you could link the Demon Fey with the Crystal Shard and have it be Drizzt's demon nemesis foe who's behind it all...or it could be some relation of the Nefarious Three who felled Myth Drannor....or whatever.

Sorry it took me so long to get back here; it's been a busy year.

Steven

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2007 :  01:14:18  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Penknight

Hello again, Mr. Schend.

I have as of late been looking over your Property Values in Waterdeep, and a few of my players are kind of playing with the idea of picking up a house or apartment inside of Waterdeep. (They are 19th level, and I am rather proud of them).

However, one of the PCs would rather settle down in Silverymoon and purchase a house (or mansion, whatever the funds allow) there. Could you please tell me how I could effectively arrive at a decision on how much a home or estates would run in Silverymoon? I am assuming that it wouldn't be quite as steep as Waterdeep, but I wanted to ask you for your expert thoughts and insights on the matter. Thank you for your time, Mr. Schend.

Respectfully,
Penknight

Again, sorry for the delay in responding. I've been on two deadlines most of the spring and summer, keeping me away from Candlekeep.

As for property prices in Silverymoon, they're probably 10%-20% lower than Waterdeep property prices BEFORE the Luruar Alliance; after that time, due to Silverymoon's rising importance, the prices rise to only 5-10% lower than Waterdeep's standards. What's still cheaper is the general cost of living, aside from goods that have to be imported (like some foodstuffs).

Steven

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2007 :  01:26:20  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DMJutti

Hey Steven, you answered a question of mine a ways back about Vamar the cold. I was wondering if you could also look up what u got on the Starskull who etched the star of mystra on his forehead. he is a lich agent of the twisted rune. Thanks

Don't recall much about the Starskull other than he's a horrible zealot and worshiper of Mystra. To his mind, Mystra is responsible for EVERYTHING, as EVERYTHING IS MAGIC. He's as like to blast any Bane-Worshiper out of existence for daring to suggest that anything was not of Mystra's making, etc. He's also in love with Mystra and hopes that his unlife will allow him to live long enough to garner her favor and let him become a Chosen and her lover. (And, no, nothing will shake his faith that this is his ultimate fate.)

In short, the Starskull's one of the most irrational, overzealous, pig-headed and misguided liches ever to walk the Realms. That said, he makes some fascinating magics involving chaining opposing forces together briefly (i.e. opposite schools) to create new explosions of magic that sometimes create dead magic zones, wild magic zones, or something else...think of swamp gas that has unexpected and utterly uncontrolled effects on magical spells.

The guy's use to the Rune is simply because he's easily manipulated as a stalking horse. ("Hey R'karlesh, I've heard that Sormarleth of Manshaka is preaching that Mystra can't even handle a minor baron of the Nine Hells because she's so busy sleeping with her Chosen. ")

How does that help? If it's too unfocused or it contradicts what I've said in the past, take what works for you and ignore the rest.

Steven

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2007 :  01:32:42  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome back Steven!

It's a pleasure to 'read' your voice again.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2007 :  01:53:11  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Welcome back Steven!

Thanks. Good to be back here as well.

Now, 2 questions from me to all those out there:

1) Anyone have changed ideas or thoughts about BLACKSTAFF a year after its release? Just curious as to how people reacted to it a year after the fact....

2) Who's going to be at Gen Con? I and my blushing bride will be there....

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2007 :  02:18:41  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

1) Anyone have changed ideas or thoughts about BLACKSTAFF a year after its release? Just curious as to how people reacted to it a year after the fact....

2) Who's going to be at Gen Con? I and my blushing bride will be there....

Myself, I didn't mind it but I know some people, who are not on any of these boards, who still are a bit annoyed about the death.

And I can't make it to gencon this year. :(

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2007 :  02:39:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Welcome back Steven!

My thoughts about Blackstaff haven't changed -- I'm still satisfied with the way it turned out. While Khelben will always be one of my favorites among Mystra's Chosen [and while I was definitely more than a little disappointed to see him go], I was comfortable with the way in which you presented Khelben's death, and seeing it connected to previous bits in the Realmslore, helped to satisfy me even more. I felt that it wasn't completely "unexpected." I'm not sure whether I'll ever include the events in my FR itself, since I've taken Khelben down a somewhat different road, and to utilise the material from Blackstaff would mean altering a lot of my own established history of Waterdeep and of Khelben himself. So probably not.
quote:
2) Who's going to be at Gen Con? I and my blushing bride will be there...
To be honest, despite what I said earlier in the year, I didn't exactly try that hard to clear my schedule in order to make the lengthy trip to the US and attend Gen-Con. I've just had too much going on here. Which is a shame, because I would've loved to have caught up with you and Ed, as well as many of our friends here from Candlekeep.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 17 Jul 2007 02:44:54
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2007 :  02:48:46  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
He's also in love with Mystra and hopes that his unlife will allow him to live long enough to garner her favor and let him become a Chosen and her lover. (And, no, nothing will shake his faith that this is his ultimate fate.)

Ewww, that's creepy.

Good to see you back, Steve. I still mourn the loss of Khelben, but my overall feelings about the novel haven't changed--I was satisfied with how it was all presented, and how the major event didn't preclude fan-created characters from participating.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2007 :  03:30:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For the first question, I'll echo the Sage.

For the second... Well, saving money has never been my strong suit. Right now I could prolly swing going to Gen Con -- but I am in dire need of a new(er) car; my current set of wheels, "Lurch", is the automobile equivalent of a zombie. I need to get it replaced before I think about any other large expenditures of money.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2007 :  03:35:07  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My thoughts on Blackstaff a year later are . . . when is your next book coming out Steven?

As far as GenCon goes, I was certain that this year I would make it finally, and get in touch with everyone from Candlekeep going . . . I mean, heck, I only live a few hours from Indy. But this spring was pretty rough, in more ways than one, so I don't think I'll be making it this year either.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 57 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000