Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Steven Schend
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 57

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2006 :  22:56:20  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

Hiya Steven,

Do you have that novel list that we came up with at Gencon at the pagan seminer? If you have it could you email me it, when you have the time. If possible.

Thanks.

Well, I can also just post it here for anyone else who's interested in some authors that do decent works and don't make pagans out to be power-mad witches and warlocks all. I see this as vaguely FR related as many of these authors will add some layers of interesting details to your Realms campaigns.

If anyone has suggestions on best titles of books to read by certain authors, chime in; however, if this offends Alaundo or the moderators, I'll pull it and resend to whomever PMs me about it.

Armstrong, Kelley [titles?]
Bradley, Marion Zimmer Mists of Avalon, [titles?]
Butcher, Jim Dresden Files, [other titles?]
Cherryh, C.J. [titles?]
De Lint, Charles [Newford books (Subterranean Press)]
Edgehill, Rosemary [titles?]
Harrison, Kim [titles?]
Hoffman, Alice Practical Magic, [others?]
Keneally, Patricia (sp?) [titles?]
Lackey, Mercedes [titles?]
Moore, Alan Watchmen, V for Vendetta, Promethea
Morrison, Grant The Invisibles, Doom Patrol
Murphy, C.E. Urban Shaman, [sequel]
Owen, James Starchild
Paxson, Diana [titles?]
Walton, Evangeline [titles?]

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2006 :  23:00:27  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Steven.

I'd add Anne Bishop on that list since it seems that she had a lot of pagan themes in her novels since I'm reading her novels right now.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 24 Aug 2006 23:01:05
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2006 :  23:38:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm actually working my way thru the Dresden files right now. I'm close to done with the second book. I'm going to have to pause between that one and the third one, though, since I picked up a library book today -- besides, I've only got three of the Dresden books, and I can't afford to buy more than one or two more for at least two weeks!

I've enjoyed a couple of Mercedes Lackey novels, but not many. Some things about her writing seriously bug me.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2006 :  00:05:29  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, the only author on that list I am familiar with is Walton, but I would also heartily recommend her. Her Mabinogi adaptions should be read collected, but from a genre historic perspective Island of the Mighty would be the one to chose if you were to chose a single part. That book was written in 1926, whilst the other three "branches" were written in the 70's. The books have been printed both as single books and collected several times, so they should not be to difficult to get a hand on.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2006 :  01:11:16  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I'm actually working my way thru the Dresden files right now. I'm close to done with the second book.
I'm just starting the second book actually.

Thanks to Elaine for the great suggestion!

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2006 :  01:23:46  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

I'm actually working my way thru the Dresden files right now. I'm close to done with the second book.
I'm just starting the second book actually.

Thanks to Elaine for the great suggestion!

Yeah, it was her suggestion that got me looking at those books, too. I mentioned them to my friend Gino, who has reading tastes quite similar to mine, and he also recommended them. So I picked up a couple, and I was hooked before I'd even read much of the first one.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2006 :  01:40:41  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
BTW,

Since my one request has spawned a whole topic. :) Sci-Fi channel is turning those books into a series/sci-fi channel movie.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2006 :  02:15:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

BTW,

Since my one request has spawned a whole topic. :) Sci-Fi channel is turning those books into a series/sci-fi channel movie.

The Dresden Files? Too cool!

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2006 :  02:21:53  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

BTW,

The Dresden Files? Too cool!

Yup, those. :)

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2006 :  17:22:33  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just finished Blackstaff; I must say that except for Eds books I haven't enjoyed a Realms-book this much for years. I hope there will be many more books to come.

Spoiler of sorts:

It was also nice to see centaurs finally being mentioned; any reason why you chose them as one of the races involved in the cleansing? Until now centaurs have not been mentioned much when it comes to magic.

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2006 :  04:16:20  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jorkens

Just finished Blackstaff; I must say that except for Eds books I haven't enjoyed a Realms-book this much for years. I hope there will be many more books to come.

Spoiler of sorts:

It was also nice to see centaurs finally being mentioned; any reason why you chose them as one of the races involved in the cleansing? Until now centaurs have not been mentioned much when it comes to magic.

Thanks

Thanks very much; I'm glad you enjoyed the book. I hope there's many more to come as well.

Dunno why you chose to secret out that response, but I'll follow suit, just for fun.

I retconned in centaurs as part of the military side of Miyeritar and postulated that at least three to five full herds/tribes of centaurs are part of the scouts and standing armies among the nine Sentinel Tors of Rhymanthiin now. It was less that they were strong in magic as they were among the folks that were among the Sharn and shared in that power a while. I'd say one special thing about these newly risen centaurs is they have a higher incidence of sorcery now than any other centaur population on Faerun. But that's my lone opinion as a freelance author--take it as an option, not a canonical thing.

Hope that info helps, and cups high, friends. We toast the Blackstaff tonight--just because.

Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2006 :  08:54:52  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Steven; It was borderline on the spoiler issue, but I found it better to be on the safe side.

I can feel a hundred centaur ideas going through my head right now.

Go to Top of Page

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
948 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2006 :  11:30:40  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Steven,

Loved the book, and would love to see a little write up of the new city, maybe in Dragon or for the WotC website.....
Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2006 :  13:37:47  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I toast to Blackstaff because it is a darn good book. I really hope it is turning out to be a hit for you Steven.

I was wondering if you had anything to say about Spell mantles that we read about so often. Ed of the Greenwood talks about them often and I know you have both feet firmly planted in most Elven lore along with Elaine, Ed, and the list goes on I'm sure. I am interested in knowing the specifics for lore reasons and game use. Thank you very much for your time great writer of lore and wise counsel to the scribes of Candlekeep.

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2006 :  13:50:22  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TomCosta

Steven,

Loved the book, and would love to see a little write up of the new city, maybe in Dragon or for the WotC website.....

Thanks, Tom; I'm glad the book worked for you.

I'd like to see that write-up of Rhymanthiin too, but there's no time through most of this autumn for me to write it. I'll just have to scribble ideas down and perhaps get it together this winter to pitch to Erik. Besides, it's better to give the novel at least six months or so before doing a big spoiler article that reveals the ending, hm?

Then again, I'm more interested in scribbling up a quicker article on the Dead Man's Walk, just to give all those playing Master Harpers or Moonstars a new way to cross Faerun.

I'll have to work on both of them in dribs and drabs, as teaching and other paying gigs have to take precedence over things written on spec. Ah, the life of a freelancer....

Steven

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2006 :  13:54:48  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wandering_mage

I toast to Blackstaff because it is a darn good book. I really hope it is turning out to be a hit for you Steven.

I was wondering if you had anything to say about Spell mantles that we read about so often. Ed of the Greenwood talks about them often and I know you have both feet firmly planted in most Elven lore along with Elaine, Ed, and the list goes on I'm sure. I am interested in knowing the specifics for lore reasons and game use. Thank you very much for your time great writer of lore and wise counsel to the scribes of Candlekeep.

Thank you, Mage, and I hope so too.

As for spell mantles, I pretty much said my piece on them in Cormanthyr; at the time, they were new in Elminster in Myth Drannor and Ed gave me a little to work with but they were his baby.

If any new ideas come to me, I'll let you know.

Like....why wouldn't someone set up a spell mantle that, under attack by other magics, would automatically dimension door you a slight bit out of the way to avoid being targeted at all?

Steven
who wonders if people realize how many secrets he's tucked into the corners of Rhymanthiin....or Blackstaff Tower....

Go to Top of Page

Wandering_mage
Senior Scribe

688 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2006 :  14:27:39  Show Profile  Visit Wandering_mage's Homepage Send Wandering_mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Steven
who wonders if people realize how many secrets he's tucked into the corners of Rhymanthiin....or Blackstaff Tower....

You had to go and say that! I would like to say that I have taken to writing down the descriptions of every room revealed in Blackstaff and I will be focusing some research on these secrets. As to the city Rhymanthiin I still love how you had some characters immediately know at its revealing that they would serve it in some manner. That is the stuff of legends. So when is the sourcebook coming out for Rhymanthiin? You could write that in your sleep, right?

Illum
The Wandering Mage
Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2006 :  05:23:08  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Mr Schend,
I'll admit I haven't picked up Blackstaff yet but absed on the preview chapter and the comments here i think I will. My question may be the first of a couple by me in the next few weeks bc I'm going over Cormanthyr: EoE with a couple other sages trying to piece together nether scroll history.

This will take you back in the day but....

You were describing the Quess'Ar'Teranthvar on page 159, I believe, and you said, "Tyvollus remains with his creation today, his body in the stasis of aduessuor". The sourcebook says on the first page that, "Unless noted otherwise, this product presents the Forgotten Realms as it stood... in... 650DR." So my question is, does 'today' refer to 650DR or 1370DR the present day according to 2ed.

This is a pretty important question since it defines the placement and form of one set of Nether Scrolls for a 720 year period.
thankyou!
-beir

"You came here to be a martyr in a great big bang of glory... instead you will die with a whimper."
::moussaoui tries to interrupt::
"You will never get a chance to speak again and that's an appropriate ending."

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2006 :  11:10:29  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beirnadri Magranth

Hey Mr Schend,
I'll admit I haven't picked up Blackstaff yet but absed on the preview chapter and the comments here i think I will. My question may be the first of a couple by me in the next few weeks bc I'm going over Cormanthyr: EoE with a couple other sages trying to piece together nether scroll history.

This will take you back in the day but....

You were describing the Quess'Ar'Teranthvar on page 159, I believe, and you said, "Tyvollus remains with his creation today, his body in the stasis of aduessuor". The sourcebook says on the first page that, "Unless noted otherwise, this product presents the Forgotten Realms as it stood... in... 650DR." So my question is, does 'today' refer to 650DR or 1370DR the present day according to 2ed.

This is a pretty important question since it defines the placement and form of one set of Nether Scrolls for a 720 year period.
thankyou!
-beir

Well, no one else (that I'm aware of) has used Tyvollus or the Quess'ar'terranthvar since I wrote about it ten years ago, so one assumes that the same status quo remains--or does it?

It's not so much an NDA as a sneaky subplot I've got cooking in my backbrain right now that makes me hedge on this answer.

For the sake of your sanity, I'll admit that things remain now as they were in Cormanthyr...

....though there may be more access (and more people trying to or succeeding to access) to that subdimensional chamber now than there ever was during its long history....

The two products (Cormanthyr/Fall of Myth Drannor) should be read as one product detailing the height and fall of MD and sets up the "current time" of 2nd edition (which ranged from 1364 to 1369; it was 3rd edition that made the jump into the 1370s).

Steven
who's probably said too much....

Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2006 :  18:02:16  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the speedy reply Steven! Yeah I got that feeling about Corm. and Fall MD. the only thing is I missed and still don't have is the boxed set that describes the weird events around Windsong Tower's corporal destruction. I was trying to think of how Bakers novel might change things in terms of the Solarium's sancticy et al. and I wished I his novel took place 5 years later than it did because now I'm worried that if I use these hooks some new realmslore will be published and contradict what my persoanl campaign has doen with it. As for no one using Ty or quessarteranthvar, I know you mean published authors... but in my campaign the Quess'Ar'Teranthvar has sprouted seeds!!! and that will cause all kinds of mayhem for everybody :) !!!!

Oh and I was hoping if you had any say on the matter to have designers wait a while before doing anything with myth drannor just to let it sink in etc.
-beir

"You came here to be a martyr in a great big bang of glory... instead you will die with a whimper."
::moussaoui tries to interrupt::
"You will never get a chance to speak again and that's an appropriate ending."

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

Wulgreth
Acolyte

Italy
9 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2006 :  12:07:57  Show Profile  Visit Wulgreth's Homepage Send Wulgreth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just got Blackstaff from Amazon and I am reading it, enjoying all the multitude of elements of Realmslore that Steven drops in every page (especially the ones of Waterdeep), although I am proceeding quite slowly (I am Italian and my knowledge of English needs a LOT to be desired). I find it a bit complex to read at times and I need a dictionary close but that probably means the writer has a good vocabulary (and being non-native doesn't help) .
I am just halfway through it but I don't understand what's happening yet: seems like the characters are acting randomly in response to unclear inputs. Blackstaff is silent, the other mage companion to Raegar is silent... everybody is in a hurry but you don't understand why... I hope things will get clearer from now on!! What is exactly Khelben laughing at, upstairs, at the beginning of the novel? Why did he fall so easily victim to the ambush as if he wasnt a 27th level mage? Why he dressing red robes when the sword erupted lightning, where does that sword come from? Is is Giogi masked like the Blacktaff? Argh!
Go to Top of Page

Neriandal Freit
Senior Scribe

USA
396 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2006 :  03:10:33  Show Profile  Visit Neriandal Freit's Homepage Send Neriandal Freit a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wulgreth, everything is explained.

Your not that far in the novel, that much I can tell. You'll be surprised, in love, thrilled, wondered and feel in the novel, something I can't say I've done to much lately in any Realms novels besides (in my humbleness,) Elaine's Starlight novels.

I read this entire novel in like 10 hours straight basically, something I can't say I've done before, because once I got past chapter three I kept going and going.

But Wulf, you'll like and enjoy the endresult of this novel. Steven wrote it like you where there beside them the entire time, and your right, you are going from here to there to here in the novel, but, it'll all lock in place for you soon.

We need more Steve! :P

"Eating people is wrong...unless it's on the first date." - Ed Greenwood, GenCon Indy 2006
Go to Top of Page

Verghityax
Learned Scribe

131 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2006 :  14:27:08  Show Profile  Visit Verghityax's Homepage Send Verghityax a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dear Mr. Schend,
I've recently read the "Lands of Intrigue" sourcebook concerning Amn and found it an absolutely splendid job. I would like to ask a few questions now:
1. In Notable Mages section of Eshpurta there's mentioned a herbalist's shop, the Bhamm's Herbs but it is nowhere to be found on the map. Could you specify where it should be placed on the map? The same problem is with the Fierce Flumph tavern.
2. What is the current status of Trademeet? Has it been rebuilt after being burned by Sythillis' army?
3. Are goblin and giant forces still residing in Esmeltaran? If not what is its current status and are there any plans of rebuilding the destroyed parts of the city?
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2006 :  15:13:52  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Verghityax

Dear Mr. Schend,
I've recently read the "Lands of Intrigue" sourcebook concerning Amn and found it an absolutely splendid job. I would like to ask a few questions now:
1. In Notable Mages section of Eshpurta there's mentioned a herbalist's shop, the Bhamm's Herbs but it is nowhere to be found on the map. Could you specify where it should be placed on the map? The same problem is with the Fierce Flumph tavern.
2. What is the current status of Trademeet? Has it been rebuilt after being burned by Sythillis' army?
3. Are goblin and giant forces still residing in Esmeltaran? If not what is its current status and are there any plans of rebuilding the destroyed parts of the city?

There are answers to some of your questions in Power of Faerun.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2006 :  14:42:13  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Steven, I thought I would move this for James's scroll so as not to clutter him with it, but I wanted to address what you replied to my post to him.

Thanks.

quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

To swing this back to Realms relevance, an FR serial killer idea is tough to do as there's so few ways to stand out from the massive killers that do so for their god (Bane worshipers) or their country (Red Wizards, etc.). Serial killers are a modern phenomenon, and while not impossible, it's pretty tough to respin fantasy tropes to suit the needs of psychological thrillers (as most stories tend to wind up with serial killers).

Though an odd thought, as I mused about lone killers with distinctive methodology, one could argue that ELFSHADOW could be reexamined from another POV and have a Harper investigator convinced that the Harper Assassin is a serial killer. Hm, that puts Arilyn in a new light, dunnit? (And no, to fans of Elaine and the lady herself, I'm NOT suggesting that we look at the lovely half-elf for signs she's out to exterminate the hard-currency-girls of Waterdeep or even suggest she's a serial killer. It's just a way to point out that a slight shift in perspective brings new facets to life on that diamond of a book....)

SES

Interesting thoughts Steven, thanks.

I thought about the Gods angles, was wondering if a Realms character could be a "free agent" so to speak and kill just for killings sake.
It could be interesting to see how the rest of the Realms (and the Gods) handled that situation. If this person got enough power through fear, he(or better, she ) could threaten the Gods enough to crate quite a stir.

I could see some kind of parralel with this concept to that of Magic and Anti-Magic areas/objects.

This killer could unintentionally spark an Anti-Gods movement. When the general population realized that this killer had the whole of the Realams in an Uproar with no God on his side, some might see the posibilities for good and bad. The Gods would be threatened much the same as Magic useres(and to lesser extent Mystra) are by these anti-magic areas and objects.

Ooooppppss.....rambling

Thanks!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2006 :  17:35:26  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What about a Jack the Ripper-style killer, who was doing it as a way to try to bring back Bhaal?

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2006 :  01:24:05  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

Steven, I thought I would move this for James's scroll so as not to clutter him with it, but I wanted to address what you replied to my post to him.

Thanks.

quote:

To swing this back to Realms relevance, an FR serial killer idea is tough to do as there's so few ways to stand out from the massive killers that do so for their god (Bane worshipers) or their country (Red Wizards, etc.). Serial killers are a modern phenomenon, and while not impossible, it's pretty tough to respin fantasy tropes to suit the needs of psychological thrillers (as most stories tend to wind up with serial killers).

Though an odd thought, as I mused about lone killers with distinctive methodology, one could argue that ELFSHADOW could be reexamined from another POV and have a Harper investigator convinced that the Harper Assassin is a serial killer. Hm, that puts Arilyn in a new light, dunnit? (And no, to fans of Elaine and the lady herself, I'm NOT suggesting that we look at the lovely half-elf for signs she's out to exterminate the hard-currency-girls of Waterdeep or even suggest she's a serial killer. It's just a way to point out that a slight shift in perspective brings new facets to life on that diamond of a book....)

SES

Interesting thoughts Steven, thanks.

I thought about the Gods angles, was wondering if a Realms character could be a "free agent" so to speak and kill just for killings sake.
It could be interesting to see how the rest of the Realms (and the Gods) handled that situation. If this person got enough power through fear, he(or better, she ) could threaten the Gods enough to crate quite a stir.

I could see some kind of parralel with this concept to that of Magic and Anti-Magic areas/objects.

This killer could unintentionally spark an Anti-Gods movement. When the general population realized that this killer had the whole of the Realams in an Uproar with no God on his side, some might see the posibilities for good and bad. The Gods would be threatened much the same as Magic useres(and to lesser extent Mystra) are by these anti-magic areas and objects.

Ooooppppss.....rambling

Thanks!

Yeah, the basic problem with SKs is that "God told me to do it through that dog there..." and in the Realms, that could be true. Thus, it's less a matter of psychopathology and more of faith. Having it be a faithless individual would see the churches backlash against him or try and claim he's doing their work....and since all the gods oft work in mysterious ways, who's to gainsay them?

Steven
Who unleashed the Manshoon Wars for a totally unpredictable and dangerous individual in your campaigns who might've become a serial killer to get his stuff (or yours)...but that plot got scotched too quickly in his opinion....

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2006 :  02:05:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Who unleashed the Manshoon Wars for a totally unpredictable and dangerous individual in your campaigns who might've become a serial killer to get his stuff (or yours)...but that plot got scotched too quickly in his opinion....

'Tis an opinion that's been expressed by many of us, friend Steven.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2006 :  02:29:23  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

'Tis an opinion that's been expressed by many of us, friend Steven.

Indeed.

You have no idea how many times I've expressed this desire over at WotC when a poster has asked why the "Manshoon Wars" details in C&D weren't followed up in 3e.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Sanishiver
Senior Scribe

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2006 :  02:52:34  Show Profile  Visit Sanishiver's Homepage Send Sanishiver a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yup, it did.

FWIW this plot is alive and well in my game!

J. Grenemyer

09/20/2008: Tiger Army at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz. You wouldn’t believe how many females rode it out in the pit. Santa Cruz women are all of them beautiful. Now I know to add tough to that description.
6/27/2008: WALL-E is about the best damn movie Pixar has ever made. It had my heart racing and had me rooting for the good guy.
9/9/2006: Dave Mathews Band was off the hook at the Shoreline Amphitheater.

Never, ever read the game books too literally, or make such assumptions that what is omitted cannot be. Bad DM form, that.

And no matter how compelling a picture string theory paints, if it does not accurately describe our universe, it will be no more relevant than an elaborate game of Dungeons and Dragons. --paragraph 1, chapter 9, The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 57 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000