Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Steven Schend
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 57

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2006 :  03:08:38  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Moradin

quote:
Originally posted by Wandering_mage

When did Mentor Wintercloak become James Bond with women? I'd say if you can make him drop his spellbook your character can have him! Otherwise the guy has responsibilities, works often researching spells and such, and probably doesn't have any time for a woman at present. But that is just me. Steve of course will have a more detailed answer that you can use. I just thought I should point out the obvious with the whole wizard profession and how it sometimes hurts a guys romantic life. Just look at how busy Khelben is all the time. He has to spend weeks just to get some alone time with his love Laeral. Don't ask me how Eliminster does it though. That man just has style and years of experience with the women.

And now Steve, good luck with this answer. And Rino, this might be an awesome quest idea for your character if the party doesn't mind. 'To catch Mentor Wintercloak' a campaign of love.

A pretty and lovely woman turn the head even of the most dedicated wizard.....

And this particular character of mine is exactly that.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2006 :  19:59:59  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

A question I found, floating in the ethers:

quote:
Originally posted by DMJutti

Hey Steve,
I was wondering if you could give more detail on Vamar the Cold...the lich who has an underwater tower in the sea of fallen stars...I am aware that he is detailed briefly in the Sea Of Fallen Stars sourcebook which include some of Elminsters Notes which suggest he has visited this lich. What are the specifics of his tower, what does he research, what books may be in his library/magic items, and what are his motivations/goals? Thanks much!

Good golly gosh.....haven't thought about him in years....

Okay...lessee....Vamar the Cold may (or may not) have been an apprentice of Priamon Rakesk after his exile from Waterdeep; it's a rumor, and Vamar neither confirms nor denies the truth of the matter. Suffice it to say that both of them have unique (or seemingly unique) cold-based spells.

Specifics of his tower--Bear with me as I did this in my own campaign and put a tower beneath the Deepwash as well, so I might get the info scrambled after all these years. The tower's windows are gone, but magical fields keep the water out (or at least keep things that would be damaged by salt water from being so damaged).

His researches, interestingly enough, bridge the gaps between alchemy, natural sciences, and magic--he's trying to understand how best to manipulate temperature and liquids with magic or without. He wants to figure out how to trap spells in snowflakes, plant potions inside glaciers, or even how to make a spell snow down without detection upon a village.

His primary reason for submerging the tower, IIRC, was so he would be relatively left alone and undisturbed. Therefore, one should expect a series of defenses and fields that keep people from approaching the tower grounds from any angle.

His motivations, similar to the Twisted Rune, is to learn as much as he wishes without interruption. He's as close as you get to a neutral lich--his "evil" is simply selfishness and a self-absorbed nature, rather than "I want to take over the world" evil.

What books are in his library? Whew. Good question. There's at least three major prayer books of both Auril's and Lathander's faith each; a wide variety of books on agriculture, crops, and weather; and a number of books that only have additional copies at Candlekeep, Elminster's Tower, and Blackstaff Tower:

On the Matter of Stormclouds, by Arhatal of Elversult

Ice Speaks to Me: An Account of my Meeting with Iracleya the Ice Queen by Tareak of Mulmaster

And All Shall Tremble in Fear and Cold, by "Rakar the Ice-Wizard" (the overly grandiose autobiography of Priamon Rakesk written just before he underwent his changes to lichdom; obviously, he wrote under an alias and thus became far more fawning about his own accomplishments than might be normally proper....)

Weather and What I've Seen of It, by Dagult the Wanderer

Alchymicala: On the Nature of Potions, by Maskar Wands

Magics of the South and Their Superiorities, by Suarahk, Syl-Vizar of Zazzesspur (ascribed to His Greatness the Qysar Shoon II)

Emboldening Materials for the Storage of Magics, by Demron of Myth Drannor

Hope all that helps (and I hope that my memory hasn't had me forget something I wrote in SoFS and now I'm making huge continuity gaffes).

Steven Schend

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2006 :  00:48:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I see more books to add to the Candlekeep listing.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6645 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2006 :  00:57:07  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend
[br
Good golly gosh.....haven't thought about him in years....

Alchymicala: On the Nature of Potions, by Maskar Wands

Hope all that helps (and I hope that my memory hasn't had me forget something I wrote in SoFS and now I'm making huge continuity gaffes).

Steven Schend

Now that book is useful for 'stuff'. Thanks Steven.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

GothicDan
Master of Realmslore

USA
1103 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2006 :  01:03:28  Show Profile  Visit GothicDan's Homepage Send GothicDan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And is also has a very good name.

Planescape Fanatic

"Fiends and Undead are the peanut butter and jelly of evil." - Me
"That attitude should be stomped on, whenever and wherever it's encountered, because it makes people holding such views bad citizens, not just bad roleplayers (considering D&D was structured as a 'forced cooperation' game, and although successive editions are pointing it more and more towards a me-first, min-max game, the drift away from 'we all need each other to succeed' will at some point make it 'no longer' D&D)." - ED GREENWOOD
Go to Top of Page

Sanishiver
Senior Scribe

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2006 :  01:38:54  Show Profile  Visit Sanishiver's Homepage Send Sanishiver a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It is now my goal to make my players fear snowflakes.

Thank you Steven!

J. Grenemyer

09/20/2008: Tiger Army at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz. You wouldn’t believe how many females rode it out in the pit. Santa Cruz women are all of them beautiful. Now I know to add tough to that description.
6/27/2008: WALL-E is about the best damn movie Pixar has ever made. It had my heart racing and had me rooting for the good guy.
9/9/2006: Dave Mathews Band was off the hook at the Shoreline Amphitheater.

Never, ever read the game books too literally, or make such assumptions that what is omitted cannot be. Bad DM form, that.

And no matter how compelling a picture string theory paints, if it does not accurately describe our universe, it will be no more relevant than an elaborate game of Dungeons and Dragons. --paragraph 1, chapter 9, The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene
Go to Top of Page

DMJutti
Acolyte

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2006 :  05:49:39  Show Profile  Visit DMJutti's Homepage Send DMJutti a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Steve,
thanks for taking the time to answer these specific questions...i have a char in my campaign apprenticed to Vamar for some years (real time) now. I have just fully detailed his tower, your response helped a good deal.
Go to Top of Page

DMJutti
Acolyte

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2006 :  06:34:55  Show Profile  Visit DMJutti's Homepage Send DMJutti a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Steve
Can you give similar details as in my vamar the cold query on the "Starskull" the lich that is part of the Twisted Rune.
Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2006 :  10:01:42  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sanishiver

Thank you Steven!

J. Grenemyer

Now that there is player interest, WOTC might actually listen to my pitch for "Complete Snowflake."

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein

Edited by - EytanBernstein on 18 Aug 2006 10:02:12
Go to Top of Page

Crust
Learned Scribe

USA
273 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2006 :  14:56:28  Show Profile  Visit Crust's Homepage Send Crust a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm sorry if this came up before. It's a big thread.

Some spoilers below:

So, since Blackstaff is out (loved the book), the information in the City of Splendors sourcebook concerning Blackstaff Tower is now different.

Who will aspiring apprentices talk to in Blackstaff Tower now? Not that they'd be chatting with Khelben and Laeral anyway, but if Tsarra is the Blackstaff, does that make her sort of the Caladnei of Waterdeep, a youthful replacement who doesn't quite understand the demands of her office?

Who's in charge at the tower? Also, what's different about Blackstaff Tower now that Khelben (and to a lesser degree, Laeral) is gone?

"That's right, hurl back views that force ye to think by name-calling - 'tis the grand old tradition, let it not down! Anything to keep from having to think, or - Mystra forfend - change thy own views!"

Narnra glowered at her father. "Just how am I to learn how to think? By being taught by you?"

"Some folk in the Realms would give their lives for the chance to learn at my feet," Elminster said mildly. "Several already have."

~from Elminster's Daughter, Ed Greenwood

Edited by - Crust on 18 Aug 2006 14:59:28
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2006 :  15:30:54  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DMJutti

Steve
Can you give similar details as in my vamar the cold query on the "Starskull" the lich that is part of the Twisted Rune.

Don't recognize that name, so I guess I'll have to go dig up my copies of LOI and EoSS to see what I've said in the past on him/her/it before I respond.....

Glad the Vamar responses were useful for you, DMJutti.

SES

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2006 :  15:36:48  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thank you Steven!

J. Grenemyer

Hehehe. Glad to help.

Steven
who wonders if an entangle in a snowflake could create a webwork of ice and snow ala an instant snowdrift around a target....

Go to Top of Page

EytanBernstein
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
704 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2006 :  19:36:58  Show Profile  Visit EytanBernstein's Homepage Send EytanBernstein a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Thank you Steven!

J. Grenemyer

Hehehe. Glad to help.

Steven
who wonders if an entangle in a snowflake could create a webwork of ice and snow ala an instant snowdrift around a target....

Hmmm... now that's an idea I want to steal :)

http://eytanbernstein.com - the official website of Eytan Bernstein
Go to Top of Page

Sanishiver
Senior Scribe

USA
476 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2006 :  20:40:30  Show Profile  Visit Sanishiver's Homepage Send Sanishiver a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, you said it (sort of): Web.

You could make a spell that functions like Web, except it only works in any area of snowfall where visibility is reduced (i.e. there's enough snow falling for the spell to take hold).

Thus the spell wouldn't require a material component as the falling snow provides it and it could also deal cold damage to targets in the effect.

And just as with Web, fire could be used to set creatures free.

I'm telling you Steven, you're on to something! Maybe you could pitch a Dragon article detailing Frostrune and his lost spells?

J. Grenemyer

09/20/2008: Tiger Army at the Catalyst in Santa Cruz. You wouldn’t believe how many females rode it out in the pit. Santa Cruz women are all of them beautiful. Now I know to add tough to that description.
6/27/2008: WALL-E is about the best damn movie Pixar has ever made. It had my heart racing and had me rooting for the good guy.
9/9/2006: Dave Mathews Band was off the hook at the Shoreline Amphitheater.

Never, ever read the game books too literally, or make such assumptions that what is omitted cannot be. Bad DM form, that.

And no matter how compelling a picture string theory paints, if it does not accurately describe our universe, it will be no more relevant than an elaborate game of Dungeons and Dragons. --paragraph 1, chapter 9, The Elegant Universe by Brian Greene

Edited by - Sanishiver on 19 Aug 2006 20:41:25
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2006 :  17:12:16  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

Hey Steve!

I'd love some detailed information on Mentor Wintercloak, and what his preferences are in...relationships with women.

Thanks,

Lyrna

Well, I queried The Greenwood about this and here's his response to me:

"As for Mentor Wintercloak, I've purposefully kept him as mysterious as possible - - but in my mind he's always been the incredibly charismatic (think Doctor Strange in looks, with those dark, dominating eyes) Svengali figure who attracted scores of magically-talented women as lovers and apprentices. In other words, he's the guy Elminster learned the technique from. :}

Now, I DON'T see Mentor as an exploitive lecher, cold-bloodedly trading magical training for sex and service. I see him as someone who made his wants and desires clear, who dealt honestly, and who was attracted to growing, learning minds whose talent for the Art was blossoming. His personal charisma just made a LOT of people fall for him, male and female, as friends and as lovers."

Now why do I suddenly see Timothy Dalton's face when thinking about Mentor?

Hope that helps, Lyrna.

Steven
Today's Ed-Greenwood avatar

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2006 :  18:08:28  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice to find another review of Blackstaff this morning.

http://tauntonian.blogspot.com/2006/08/blackstaff-book-review.html

SES

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2006 :  21:27:41  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, I queried The Greenwood about this and here's his response to me:

"As for Mentor Wintercloak, I've purposefully kept him as mysterious as possible - - but in my mind he's always been the incredibly charismatic (think Doctor Strange in looks, with those dark, dominating eyes) Svengali figure who attracted scores of magically-talented women as lovers and apprentices. In other words, he's the guy Elminster learned the technique from. :}

Now, I DON'T see Mentor as an exploitive lecher, cold-bloodedly trading magical training for sex and service. I see him as someone who made his wants and desires clear, who dealt honestly, and who was attracted to growing, learning minds whose talent for the Art was blossoming. His personal charisma just made a LOT of people fall for him, male and female, as friends and as lovers."

Now why do I suddenly see Timothy Dalton's face when thinking about Mentor?

Hope that helps, Lyrna.

Steven
Today's Ed-Greenwood avatar

Yes it does, very much so! Thanks to both of you. And it's certainly good to hear that Mentor isn't the cold-hearted type.

My character would never go for that, at least not for long.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)

Edited by - Rinonalyrna Fathomlin on 20 Aug 2006 21:27:57
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2006 :  02:49:12  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the good writing over the years Steve. My questions arise around Empire of Elves and FOMD. These have been by far my most favorite supplements that I have ever looked through.

1. What is inside the Vault of the Ages? I would like to know what
could have knocked down Myth Drannor "in a measure of hours". Have you ever seen floorplans or a list of things inside, or anything more you can share?

2. Where in the Moonwood is the remnant of the Eternal Srinnala? Do you have any building details or descriptions you can share?

3. When and how did the elves regain Dragathil? Ive done as much research as I can, and have seen no other info.

4. I am going to construct an high level game around the Highfire Crown. I need some suggestions on how to construct trials bases around the six facets of elvin life that the Baneblades were based on: life, Art, love, death, hate, war. I figured out some "holodeck" scenarios are in order, but I'm still getting stuck on ideas.

5. Where is Garnet the red dragon, and is it still alive?

6. Have you ever seen writeups for these items you mentioned:
Diamond Bands of the Blind Archer
Constant Companions of Reocet the Hunter
Bandolier of Power
scimitar Midnight's Moon

Thanks for taking a little time out for me.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2006 :  02:54:35  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by althen artren

I'm not Steven, but I can answer this question.

Basically, no one knows where Garnet, the wyrm, is. We just know he isn't dead.

Go to Top of Page

DMJutti
Acolyte

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2006 :  05:54:44  Show Profile  Visit DMJutti's Homepage Send DMJutti a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Steve
If it helps you to remember the starskull is an insane lich who carved the star of mystra into his forehead hoping to gain new magical insights
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2006 :  21:05:35  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Crust

I'm sorry if this came up before. It's a big thread.

Some spoilers below:

So, since Blackstaff is out (loved the book), the information in the City of Splendors sourcebook concerning Blackstaff Tower is now different.

Who will aspiring apprentices talk to in Blackstaff Tower now? Not that they'd be chatting with Khelben and Laeral anyway, but if Tsarra is the Blackstaff, does that make her sort of the Caladnei of Waterdeep, a youthful replacement who doesn't quite understand the demands of her office?

Who's in charge at the tower? Also, what's different about Blackstaff Tower now that Khelben (and to a lesser degree, Laeral) is gone?

Okay....tough to answer this and bear in mind there's still lots I can't discuss due to NDAs and all that......

It will take years before there's any apparent changes or problems at Blackstaff Tower. Most apprentices below the elder/senior level don't have much contact with Khelben or Laeral on a daily basis. Even so, Tsarra will maintain illusory covers for BOTH Khelben and Laeral to disguise the fact that they're not there. Even if she didn't they're often off doing things for Mystra at times so few will question their activities unless they're not seen in more than a year.

Tsarra has access to ALL of Khelben's knowledge and memory, so she's most definitely understands everything about the office of the Blackstaff she needs to--including the most effective ways to manipulate Mirt or Piergeiron into doing what she needs them to do (but she'd only do this in Khelben's guise).

Tsarra is in charge at the tower AS Khelben; for the most part, the senior apprentices run the school at the tower, and unless there's a problem among them, the eight or nine seniors act in council to keep things moving. (And no, Tsarra won't tell them K's gone--she'll maintain his guise to teach them what Khelben wanted to teach them or usher them to graduate beyond the tower.). Tsarra maintains her own classes and persona as normal. Malchor, Kyriani, and a few others help out in maintaining the illusions that K&L are very busy right now, by popping in and helping herd apprentices and teach et al. If asked, students are reminded that apprentices only are owed answers from archmages when they themselves become archmages ("...and often not even then, so stop asking and focus on your studies!")

In my opinion, it will be YEARS to DECADES before anyone cracks the secret that Khelben's no longer in the tower. Even those potential enemies that are in the know (from the end of the novel) will NOT reveal the secret. If they do, they'll live in fear of reprisals from others in the ritual (if not the sharn themselves). So, no, Sememmon or Maaril are not going to trade off that information--that secret is very obviously worth far more than their lives, and they're both just wary enough to not want to push their luck too far.

Does that help clarify things for you, Crust?

Steven

Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2006 :  08:45:34  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mr. Schend:

Just finished you book. And it was excellent! I had a great time reading it. I tried to savor every page and note on all this enticing realmslore.
A few questions if i may (Spoilers ahead!):

1: Am i correct in assuming that the people of the realms who did not take part in the ritual, will not know about Khelbens demise?
If so, why? What could the repercussions be if people found out? Mayhem and anarchy in waterdeep? :)

2: Although Halaster did make a brief cameo at the end, is there another reason he did not take part in the ritual? I realize even though many of the high and mighty beings of the realms took part in the ritual, many did not. I had just thought that maybe the proximity of Khelben/Halaster had made them aware of eachothers potential over the years. Maybe even earned them the respect of each other?

3: Alvaerele. I must confess i never heard of this one before i read Blackstaff. What can you tell me about her? Is she old? What are her relationship with the other chosen etc. Any tidbits you can hand out is appreciated:) And maybe some of the more housewarm scribes in here could point me in the direction of some scroll that deals with Alvaerele?

My regards Schend: -Stig, who hopes the allmighty Wizards™ will shower thee with novel oppurtunities!-

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2006 :  14:23:01  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Elfinblade

Mr. Schend:

Just finished you book. And it was excellent! I had a great time reading it. I tried to savor every page and note on all this enticing realmslore.
A few questions if i may (Spoilers ahead!):

1: Am i correct in assuming that the people of the realms who did not take part in the ritual, will not know about Khelbens demise?
If so, why? What could the repercussions be if people found out? Mayhem and anarchy in waterdeep? :)

Answer you don't want to read if you've not finished Blackstaff:
Correct--it'll be a great secret for some time to come, if I get my way. Reasons for it: A--Khelben liked his secrets; B--Mayhem and anarchy in Waterdeep is only the beginning; C--Even his former allies in the Harpers would descend on Blackstaff Tower if they could to try and claim its secrets (especially if he had stuff on them with which he might've blackmailed them...not that I'm saying he did, mind you...

quote:
2: Although Halaster did make a brief cameo at the end, is there another reason he did not take part in the ritual? I realize even though many of the high and mighty beings of the realms took part in the ritual, many did not. I had just thought that maybe the proximity of Khelben/Halaster had made them aware of eachothers potential over the years. Maybe even earned them the respect of each other?

As this isn't quite a spoiler, I'll leave this unbeiged (and no, that's not a word I ever expected to type).

Halaster didn't take part in the High Moor ritual for two reasons:
A. He already had his part to play, as shown in the novel.

B. The module Stardock showed what happens when Halaster is away from Undermountain for too long. The ritual took more than 16-24 hours to complete, and that would have meant far too many troubles for the Sword Coast.

quote:
3: Alvaerele. I must confess i never heard of this one before i read Blackstaff. What can you tell me about her? Is she old? What are her relationship with the other chosen etc. Any tidbits you can hand out is appreciated:) And maybe some of the more housewarm scribes in here could point me in the direction of some scroll that deals with Alvaerele?

Alvaerele's first (and only, IIRC) appearance is in SECRETS OF THE MAGISTER. She's a former Magister and current Chosen. If there are other scrolls on her, I suspect Eric & George might best guide thee there (and let us know as well). I just penned her in there as I wanted a Chosen we'd not seen onscreen before, and Aloevan of Ardeep was too problematic to use.

Steven
Who wonders if he should continue to worry about spoilers at this point, but then just enjoys playing with new toys like beiging out words

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2006 :  14:36:52  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by althen artren

Thanks for the good writing over the years Steve. My questions arise around Empire of Elves and FOMD. These have been by far my most favorite supplements that I have ever looked through.

1. What is inside the Vault of the Ages? I would like to know what
could have knocked down Myth Drannor "in a measure of hours". Have you ever seen floorplans or a list of things inside, or anything more you can share?

To quote Howard Carter (finder of Tut's tomb), "Wondrous things...." The Vault of Ages has lots and lots of secrets, tomes, tombs, and other things I've not thought about in years. I think it's more a catch-all of lore and stuff to hide than Candlekeep, though. That's just been my impression.

No floorplans or lists of things therein, I'm afraid. I'd have to reread what we'd said in the past before I could get any new ideas rolling....so mayhaps I'll do so soon....

quote:
2. Where in the Moonwood is the remnant of the Eternal Srinnala? Do you have any building details or descriptions you can share?

Wherever you want it to be, and no details on that either. I'd forgotten, honestly, that any of them survived the Fall of Myth Drannor. <shrug>

quote:
3. When and how did the elves regain Dragathil? Ive done as much research as I can, and have seen no other info.

If I remember correctly, didn't Josidiah Starym bring that back with him from the Underdark? He traded Gwenwhyfar for it, but arrived back in Myth Drannor after the death of his beloved.

quote:
4. I am going to construct an high level game around the Highfire Crown. I need some suggestions on how to construct trials bases around the six facets of elvin life that the Baneblades were based on: life, Art, love, death, hate, war. I figured out some "holodeck" scenarios are in order, but I'm still getting stuck on ideas.

I don't know if I'd be the best help on that one, especially since I don't quite follow what you're up to. The Highfire Crown (as seen in Blackstaff) chooses its own bearer and whether or not to call each other together so the intelligent kiira become the Crown. Are you planning on creating 6 more baneblades--is that why you're looking at such trials? Any and all should chime in with ideas on this (though whether we do so here or on a separate folder is up to the moderators).

quote:

HE is still alive, yes, but as to his whereabouts, no one knows. Or if they do, they're not talking for various reasons. (I briefly thought about making him one of the dragons in the Blackstaff ritual, but nixed the idea as too important to cameo without explanation or details (for which there was no room).) In other words, do with him what you will. Heck--he could be trying to assuage his guilt by helping to recreate what he helped destroy inadvertantly, and thus HE is the one trying to find the Highfire Crown and make new baneblades.

Personally, I think he's been busy far away from Faerun, as he's fled the scene of his shame and been occupied for a few centuries fighting and killing enemies of The People either south of Chult or far to the west (maybe even Maztica?). But that's one person's opinion.

quote:
6. Have you ever seen writeups for these items you mentioned:
Diamond Bands of the Blind Archer
Constant Companions of Reocet the Hunter
Bandolier of Power
scimitar Midnight's Moon

Nope, and I've not statted them either. I liked naming lots and lots of items and leaving them for others to detail; when they weren't, I got to pick them up and use them later.

Hope that helps rather than hinders.

Steven

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2006 :  16:00:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Alvaerele's first (and only, IIRC) appearance is in SECRETS OF THE MAGISTER. She's a former Magister and current Chosen. If there are other scrolls on her, I suspect Eric & George might best guide thee there (and let us know as well). I just penned her in there as I wanted a Chosen we'd not seen onscreen before, and Aloevan of Ardeep was too problematic to use.
Also, Ed's talked about her in his replies here at Candlekeep.

Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2006 :  16:05:10  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another ideas is what Garnet might do with the new news about Myth Drannor as the result of the Last Mythal. He might see his redeemption in the Rebirth and might be the reason that the Elves come so far in 1380. Especially with all of the troubles facing the "People" in Cormanthor in 1375.

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2006 :  16:27:02  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Foxhelm

Another ideas is what Garnet might do with the new news about Myth Drannor as the result of the Last Mythal. He might see his redeemption in the Rebirth and might be the reason that the Elves come so far in 1380. Especially with all of the troubles facing the "People" in Cormanthor in 1375.

More than likely, his first reaction will be to stay FAR AWAY from it, lest his presence bring about its fall a second time.

Then again, maybe he's gotten smarter over time and less apt to act from guilt....your (GM's) call!

Steven

Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2006 :  16:37:54  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Foxhelm

More than likely, his first reaction will be to stay FAR AWAY from it, lest his presence bring about its fall a second time.

Then again, maybe he's gotten smarter over time and less apt to act from guilt....your (GM's) call!

Steven

Another option is that he seeks to aid it, yet remain a far distance from it so that he doesn't cause it's fall. Dragons of Faerun does say that Dragons can be Schemers. Many dragons have created groups of followers to aid in their purposes.

In this world a human can move things without tocuhing them if they use their heads. A dragon with what is likely a genius IQ is even more likely to create a plan that aid Myth Drannor without him being to close.

A little aid to the Sisterhood of Essembra, a little encouragement to good dragons to nest near the city, perhaps sending the right people to the city to aid in it's growth and defense, perhaps a little eating of the enemies of the people.

Dragons are cunning bastards that are great at manipulating 'lesser' beings. Plus they might be harder to detect as many are sorcerers and may have access to shapeshifting spells like Polymorph and Shapechange...

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Moradin
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1120 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2006 :  16:46:30  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Moradin's Homepage Send Chosen of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In my campaign, poor Garnet is a prisoner of Daurgothot. The Creeping Doom stay very interested when he knows that already exist a dragon that is a "mix" of a red and a blue dragon. (Just what he is trying to doing for himself and his breath weapon).

Now, it´s to the players to free Garnet. Maybe they try to persuade old Klauth or Balagos that Daurgothot is a serious menace, who knows.

Dwarf, DM, husband, and proud of this! :P

twitter: @yuripeixoto
Facebook: yuri.peixoto

Edited by - Chosen of Moradin on 22 Aug 2006 16:48:03
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2006 :  18:18:39  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hiya Steven,

Do you have that novel list that we came up with at Gencon at the pagan seminer? If you have it could you email me it, when you have the time. If possible.

Thanks.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 24 Aug 2006 18:19:24
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 57 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000