Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Steven Schend
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 57

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2006 :  00:47:50  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nbnmare

Well, Steven was the one who originally fleshed out the Shadow Thieves, detailing the Grandmaster of Shadows, three of the eight 2E era Shades as well as numerous Cloakmasters, Silhouettes and other lesser thieves in LoI. I'm guessing the fellow who pretty much created the group at least has his own ideas and opinions to explain all the changes and additions, even if it wasn't he who actually decided upon or implemented them :).

The sentence "The internal hierarchy of the Shadow Thieves is jealously guarded; a member knows only his immediate superior and underlings" from LoI would suggest Steven is certainly the person to ask in regards to 5), at the very least.

You were both right--I'm not the best guy to ask why changes were made in LORDS OF DARKNESS as I don't know what their design directives were and why they made changes. Rather than make up stories about changes to characters I wrote ten years ago, I chose not to comment too much. I'll give it all a look-see and if ideas pop up as they do sometimes, I'll note that.

As for that rule of knowing the immediate superior et al, it's as hard and fast a rule as you can have among the thieves. It can be manipulated and adjusted as needed for your campaign, but at the absolute least, it operates just like the Twisted Rune: The bulk of the hierarchy of agents and aliases and whatnot serve to ALWAYS protect and hide the identities of the top-most leaders.

Steven

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2006 :  00:55:43  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Octa

Steven- What can you tell us about Amn pre-council of six? Specifically I am looking for a description of the Coats of Arms and some details on how the Kingdom was run, i.e. was it a straight Feudal Monarchy like Tethyr?

I'll look through lands of intrigue and the empires of the Sands and see what I find.

I'll try and wrack my brains, but I'd suggest asking Ed Greenwood about this, as most of my thinking went into Amn after the Council. Thus, FR3 would be the source in addition to LOI and EOSS for that info. Any more would best come from Ed.....unless inspiration strikes.....

Take care, and sorry for the rash of short, pithy answers....best I can do with the storm of busy-ness I've got going on these days.....

Steven

Go to Top of Page

Lemernis
Senior Scribe

378 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2006 :  11:48:00  Show Profile  Visit Lemernis's Homepage Send Lemernis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I realize my question about regulation of magic could require a complicated answer. In particular, how the Sythillisian war has affected Amn's views on magic may be something that perhaps you'd want to consult with other developers about. But is my summary above of regulation of magic in Amn more or less how the system works, at least prior to the war?

Also: Steven, I'm working with a gaming group that would love to share ideas for development of the finer aspects of the Lands of Intrigue setting, especially the impact of the war on Amn from 1370-1373. Unfortunately much of it is DM-only material that would spoil players if I post that material on these boards. We understand it's up to DMs to extrapolate their own original ideas from a setting and further develop them creatively as they wish, in their own campaigns. But we would consider your commentary on our ideas invaluable. If you have any interest in such material please let me know (via PM or email) and we'd feel honored to send it you. :)

Happy to hear things are going so well, enjoy! :D
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2006 :  23:08:45  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi folks. Pinging myself here to remind me of things I meant to answer and/or acknowledge but haven't.....

As soon as I can track down my original files for LANDS OF INTRIGUE, I should be able to find the details on these places (as George surmised, from the pre-edited version of the material).

One of these days, I'll find the time to build up my steveneschend.com website and be able to answer things there (and store the answers there as well). As time's not been exactly plentiful for me of late, don't hold your breaths.

quote:
Originally posted by Herr Doktor

Hello, Steven, I'm huntin' fer Tethyrian lore and I was told that you are the man to talk to about such. I asked about these locales on the Ask Ed thread:

- Banshivale
- Brinniq Dell
- Canaith
- Castle Dasaajk
- Caves of Memory
- Grapton
- Grapevine’s Root
- Guardian’s Garrison
- Hostim
- Keeperstone
- Marakir
- Nine Ladies
- Samyte’s Tomb
- Seven Stars
- Strohm IV's Tomb
- Tinkersdam's Cave
- Tresqyl Vineyards

And learned that some are in Volo's Guide to Baldur's Gate II, but Eric L. Boyd also chimed in with: [quote]"A few might be from the pre-edit version of Lands of Intrigue. I really liked some of the local flavor places that got cut, so I refuse to believe they are not really part of the (published) Realms. ;-)" /quote]

I was wonderin' if you could share anymore lore on any of the above locales, or any other cut Tethyr bits that you care to share! The more Tethyr the merrier. Thanks ahead.

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2006 :  15:01:33  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We've now got the back cover blurb for "Blackstaff", Steven.

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=products/frnovel/955447400

Care to drop us any more hints?

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2006 :  15:29:36  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

-- George Krashos

Sure, George.

The back cover copy accurately reflects and hints what's between the covers of the book.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2006 :  16:13:12  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

-- George Krashos

..."one of the Forgotten Realms setting’s most prolific sages"...

I love the sound of that .

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2006 :  18:47:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This part sounds promising:

quote:
and reveals secrets and lies from a thousand years of Realmslore.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2006 :  19:09:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

It's Steven. What were you expecting? Fried Chicken? Dancing gnomish pleasure girls?
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2006 :  19:50:49  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hope that this is easy to answer, Steven, but what, prithee, is the "correct" (i.e. local) pronunciation of "Whamite" (as in Whamite Islands)? I can think of several pronunciations, most of them silly-sounding.

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2006 :  00:48:22  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

It's Steven. What were you expecting? Fried Chicken? Dancing gnomish pleasure girls?

Well, I know I wasn't expecting the dancing gnomish pleasure girls with fried chicken, but what a wonderful gesture, Arivia. Thank you, sweetie.

And I'm not telling if it's a thousand years' of secrets or lies. Could even be both.

What will I say? Okay--one teensy hint: As it's a thousand (or more) years involved and Khelben's only 880 the year of the book, there are mysteries afoot that predate the nameless son of House Maerdrymm. Heck, they predate the last prince of Athalantar's lifespan too, for that matter.

But I'm sayin' too much. You'll just have to wait only 12 more weeks...just like me....and I think I'm more anxious to see this book in print than nearly anyone else.

SES

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2006 :  00:54:44  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

I hope that this is easy to answer, Steven, but what, prithee, is the "correct" (i.e. local) pronunciation of "Whamite" (as in Whamite Islands)? I can think of several pronunciations, most of them silly-sounding.

Well, it depends on how canon you wish to make THE GREAT KHAN GAME, a game by Tom Wham (both names pronounced the same there--first big hint). It was slapped with an FR logo right around the time of the grey box release. It's a marvelous game that I've played 100s of times and love it to death.

Still, the only place that'll mention it in canon is SEA OF FALLEN STARS, where I believe I fiddled with the name a bit before I killed everyone on the islands and made them all sea zombies in the thrall of Iakhovas.

That said, I always pronounced it WAM-ite, accent on the first syllable. If we pronounced it as Tom says his name, it'd be WOM-ite.

Now I have to ask--why do you need to know this? Just curious...

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2006 :  01:22:42  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

What will I say? Okay--one teensy hint: As it's a thousand (or more) years involved and Khelben's only 880 the year of the book, there are mysteries afoot that predate the nameless son of House Maerdrymm. Heck, they predate the last prince of Athalantar's lifespan too, for that matter.
Oooh!

May we be reading a little more about the ancient Realms... Neato!

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2006 :  21:52:53  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Have I mentioned in here yet how much I love my lady?

Sarah came early this weekend to take care of me while I'm down to one useful hand. And she brought me an early birthday present I'd never have guessed--the Gollancz hardcover collection of all of Robert E Howard's Conan stories! Had to go through amazon.uk as it's not a book normally available in the States....

I loves me lady, I does....

Steven
Who'll have both hands up and running in time for book signings he's hoping to set up in July and August before Gen Con....

Edited by - Steven Schend on 23 Apr 2006 21:54:33
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2006 :  22:59:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, that's good to hear, O Master of the Right Hand!

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 23 Apr 2006 :  23:00:07  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sarah came early this weekend to take care of me while I'm down to one useful hand. And she brought me an early birthday present I'd never have guessed--the Gollancz hardcover collection of all of Robert E Howard's Conan stories! Had to go through amazon.uk as it's not a book normally available in the States....

Steven
Who'll have both hands up and running in time for book signings he's hoping to set up in July and August before Gen Con....

Well met

Interesting indeed, Steven. What with my birthday also looming, and the very same Conan hardcover on my wishlist (I assume ye have the black cover\gold text edition?), I can only hope for the same treatment

Ahem, not from THY lady, of course

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2006 :  01:46:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm... Hopefully I can drop enough hints to the Lady K before the celebrations begin for the anniversary of my portentous birth in two weeks .

Edited by - The Sage on 24 Apr 2006 01:46:54
Go to Top of Page

Asgetrion
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1564 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2006 :  19:03:56  Show Profile  Visit Asgetrion's Homepage Send Asgetrion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

quote:

Steven

Well met

Interesting indeed, Steven. What with my birthday also looming, and the very same Conan hardcover on my wishlist (I assume ye have the black cover\gold text edition?), I can only hope for the same treatment

Ahem, not from THY lady, of course

Ah, you'll certainly enjoy it, both of you (I did, a lot ;)

It's also a fantastic opportunity to read also some of his personal letters and original drafts

"What am I doing today? Ask me tomorrow - I can be sure of giving you the right answer then."
-- Askarran of Selgaunt, Master Sage, speaking to a curious merchant, Year of the Helm
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2006 :  22:23:11  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Steven,

I just wanted to know if you finally took a look at my Calimshan questions ? My players finally never went there because the campaign is on the ice, but I would still appreciate to have your thoughts on these subjects.

I just want to add that July will be my favorite month this year

After this book on one of my favorite archmage, I want one about his dark rival Marune

Edited by - Skeptic on 30 Apr 2006 22:25:40
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2006 :  19:09:11  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi again,

On a completly different topic, I don't know how much familiar you are with 3.x, but I would like to know how would you picture the Lion tribes in terms of classes and such things. Mainly figthers or Barbarians ?

It seems that 3e sources have completly ignored them...

Edited by - Skeptic on 11 May 2006 19:09:34
Go to Top of Page

Octa
Learned Scribe

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2006 :  17:53:21  Show Profile  Visit Octa's Homepage Send Octa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would suggest definitely fighter with lots of Paladins and Rangers as well. These tribes even though they are nomads are certainly civilised, and cultured. I would be surprised if there were more than a handfull of barbarians amongst them.

Plus is it possible for Barbs to make Ride checks while Raging? I don't know from memory because its not one of my favorite classes.

Paladins because of the influence of Nobanion on the tribes and the fact that at least one is mainly LG.

Rangers make really good mounted combatants, with the ranged combat feats and mounted combat, as well as animal companion horses, to survive they would have to have lots of Rangers.
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2006 :  19:18:44  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah I could see paladins for Nobanion's follower, they are described as lawful peoples (they follow tradition, etc.)

Riding rangers, yeah why not I love the idea.

For barbarians, no problems with Ride while riding, and I would see that class mainly for the Garagos' followers.
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2006 :  16:03:10  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Octa

I would suggest definitely fighter with lots of Paladins and Rangers as well. These tribes even though they are nomads are certainly civilised, and cultured. I would be surprised if there were more than a handfull of barbarians amongst them.

Plus is it possible for Barbs to make Ride checks while Raging? I don't know from memory because its not one of my favorite classes.

Paladins because of the influence of Nobanion on the tribes and the fact that at least one is mainly LG.

Rangers make really good mounted combatants, with the ranged combat feats and mounted combat, as well as animal companion horses, to survive they would have to have lots of Rangers.

These sound like great ideas all, including your follow-up musings, Skeptic.

One other option would be to have a few out-of-the-ordinary undead hunter types (clerics of various faiths, a druid or three, or something new if you wish), given the incidence of undead types around the SOFS in that area, those in the Thornwood, etc. Think of them as pro-active milita types who want to keep their lands free of the undead scourge and the Red Wizards who're most wont to use them.

Steven
Who's now got to go hunt up those questions and pray he has some feedback of worth...

Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2006 :  17:52:58  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skeptic

Riding rangers, yeah why not I love the idea.

If you like the idea, I suggest you take the ranger version with no spells (don't remember where that was... maybe Complete Warrior or Complete Adventurer) then move on to the Shaaryan Hunter prestige class as soon as you can. With it, you can track while mounted, eventually at top horse speed I think, and you have a slew of abilities for mounted archery. Take the "Saddleback" feat at first level, take the light warhorse animal companion at 4th, and then take the "Nature's Bond" feat at 6th (which will make your horse the equivalent of an animal companion owned by a 6th-level druid; i.e. it adds '3 effective druid levels' to your companion: 3 for ranger 6/2 and 3 from the feat...)

I'd have to check the prerequisites of the class once more to make sure this is possible, but a character build with this general idea should amount to something very interesting. For dungeons: I recommend you teach him the trick "transform to monkey" and have a caster cast alter self on it or some type of polymorph (or do it yourself if "Use Magic Device" is not cross-class for rangers, by buying a want of alter self and using your share spell thingy...)

Something to that effect, anyhow.
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2006 :  18:44:15  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rangers and Paladins without spells are in CW (I and plan to use them yeah).

But for me it's a bit strange to use the Shaaryan Hunter prestige class when this class is designed for different tribes of a near region...
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2006 :  12:53:34  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Skeptic

Hi Steven,

When I asked for the Nemessor Tunnels, I forgot to look at Underdark where they got some details.

Now, I have some questions for the Calimport author

In my current campaign, the PCs want to take some "vacancies" far away from Waterdeep, where they have some troubles. They want to buy/sell some magic items and they are looking for the south metropolis. Of course I want to put them in some trouble there, and I read about the Dark Bazaars..

Can you explain me what was your idea with the Grey Caller, it's just a title? What kind of people/creature are chosen to be one, etc.

Um, can you refresh my memory? All my copies of Calimport are in storage and I've no access to it....and since I wrote it more than 10 years ago, me memory's a bit overgrown and fuzzy on that. I promise my answer will be far hastier with a refresher....

quote:

Also, I'm not sure how to play the reaction vs a "northen adventurer group" in Calimport, because they are somewhat powerfull (around level 15). They won't be impressed by commoners not wanting to help them finding their way around..

Really depends where in the city they're at, honestly....

They will probably have sabbalad rulers sucking up to them and making them "honored guests" and lavishing things upon them....until the other shoe drops and either they find they've been drugged in the feast, poisoned by the hot-and-cold-running courtesans, etc. And once they've been stripped of all sorts of nice magical items that can be sold, they too are sold as slaves..."to show those uppity northern barbarians their place."

Alternately, lower level pashas will suck up to them and delay them while sending runners to inform their higher-ups, who may or may not be interested in manipulating and trapping "uplanders" into working for them in their own interests....like attacking a rival (and leaving no traces between them and this local, leaving them to suffer any consequences, should things go wrong).

For that matter, they might get into a tight spot, only to be saved by the Syl-Pasha's forces...and then they owe him a favor....

All sorts of things can happen both in Calimport and the Muzad, but they all have to do with money and influence. If the PCs have either or both, they'll have some measure of protection, especially by playing cards like "If anything happens to us, the Lords' Alliance and the Lords of Waterdeep specifically will know YOU are responsible..."

quote:

I would say that I want to show them that Calimport is even more dangerous for them than Waterdeep (even if they are Evil) and give them some unique opportunities (Going into Muzad, etc.)

About Muzad, they are acustomed to Skullport, how would you picture the difference between this two "metropolis dark side" ?

The Muzad's left purposefully vague just for that reason--you can make it as monster-infested as Skullport...or keep it primarily human and shade-infested, as you wish.

As for me, I see it in layers. The top layer is akin to Waterdeep's Dock Ward with a roof. The next deepest layer is like Lankhmar...with a roof. As you descend, the monster/danger/power/intrigues levels rise accordingly. Shar's great temple dominates because it straddles or has satellite connections/shrines on EVERY level of the Muzad, and its influence touches everywhere, though it only dominates/rules two or three levels of the Muzad (wherever you choose to put the heart of her temple).

quote:

Thanks for any help.

P.S. Edit : Another quick one, (if you know) what happened to Stardock after "Halaster's High haverstide events" in canon lore ? I may introduce the Ahloon detailled in the related module in my current campaign (as a Twisted rune member).

Sorry it took so long to get back to you on this. Hope these comments help in any way.

As for Stardock, it's left wide open as to its fate. Since it's an adventure based hook, we had to leave it open that the PCs might take it over as a base. If you want the alhoon to control it for your campaign, that sounds great by me. Canonically, I'd be amazed if anything was determined about it other than its existence.

Steven

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2006 :  13:58:38  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
originally posted by Steven Schend

Um, can you refresh my memory? All my copies of Calimport are in storage and I've no access to it....and since I wrote it more than 10 years ago, me memory's a bit overgrown and fuzzy on that. I promise my answer will be far hastier with a refresher....

Grey Callers: The robed figures who guide people to the dark bazaar of Calimport.

And for more information, we get to see one of them in action in Sands of the Soul, Skeptic.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Kajehase on 16 May 2006 14:00:50
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2006 :  17:43:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You can get a free copy of it from the Wizards downloads page.

Go to Top of Page

RevJest
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2006 :  00:03:53  Show Profile  Visit RevJest's Homepage Send RevJest a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Steven,

Question about the super-excellent "Lands of Intrigue". In the section about Maztica I notice a ruined fort listed on the borderlands map, above the Balduran territory. Any idea what that ruined fort is?

- RJ
Go to Top of Page

nbnmare
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
205 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2006 :  18:28:36  Show Profile  Visit nbnmare's Homepage Send nbnmare a Private Message  Reply with Quote
IIRC it's the fort built long ago by Balduran himself.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 57 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000