Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms Software
 Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance (Xbox)
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2002 :  23:56:49  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
ARGH!!! After playing this on a friends PS2, I was very impressed, I heard it was coming out on XBOX (which I own) back in the summer and that the game had been completely re-written, made more of a challenge, extra levels, much much better graphics and effects and looked absolutely stunning! WOW!!! I NEED IT!

Then the date was put back to September....then to November....then to January.......then to MARCH!!! ARGH! How can a release date be published only to be so far off the mark!? im sure that the March date will move soon as well! what makes it worse is that the Official Xbox Magazine reviewed the game about 3 months ago........ god knows how they did that, its now listed in the "Xbox Elite" game section every month!!

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"

Feanor_Karnil
Learned Scribe

USA
132 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2002 :  00:37:12  Show Profile  Visit Feanor_Karnil's Homepage Send Feanor_Karnil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have heard the game is coming out for G-Cube as well which I might as well get, it looks pretty decent. But if I had an X-Box I would have to shoot myself for X-Box is the most horrible vile gaming system I have ever heard of.

We live in a bleak world my friend, where heroes are few and shadows stalk us around every corner.
-Mikai Daerni
Go to Top of Page

kahonen
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2002 :  13:12:46  Show Profile  Visit kahonen's Homepage Send kahonen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Feanor_Karnil

... X-Box is the most horrible vile gaming system I have ever heard of.

Steps away, hides head in hands and waits for the inevitable reponse
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 24 Dec 2002 :  14:59:58  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well im not going to retaliate as I dont want this to become an "<insert console name here> is the best gaming system!" topic. Needless to say that Xbox has much more capability that any other console and BG:DA will far outshine the PS2 version.

Anyway....

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2003 :  10:57:33  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wooo hoooo
Well I got BG:DA on XBOX last night and im impressed :-) I havent given it a lengthy play yet but I surely intend to!!

The graphics are as beautiful as youd expect, although on first glances, I cant identify the enhanced water and lighting effects that were mentioned for the XBOX release.

Maybe if I played the XBOX version alongside the PS2 version I might notice a difference.

All in all, a fantastic game in both looks, sound and gameplay

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Echon
Senior Scribe

Denmark
422 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2003 :  11:47:19  Show Profile  Visit Echon's Homepage Send Echon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rad
All in all, a fantastic game in both looks, sound and gameplay

How about roleplaying?

-Echon

"If others had not been foolish, we should be so."

-William Blake
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2003 :  11:54:12  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its not really a true RPG in the way that Neverwinter Nights and the PC Baldur's Gate games etc are. Its more in the style of Diablo. There are some character interactions for conversation but its not indepth and is quite linear.

It is a very good game and highly enjoyable! A pleasant change of pace from the other FR CRPG's out there.

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Echon
Senior Scribe

Denmark
422 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2003 :  11:56:33  Show Profile  Visit Echon's Homepage Send Echon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rad

Its not really a true RPG in the way that Neverwinter Nights and the PC Baldur's Gate games etc are. Its more in the style of Diablo. There are some character interactions for conversation but its not indepth and is quite linear.

It is a very good game and highly enjoyable! A pleasant change of pace from the other FR CRPG's out there.

So you enjoy all this hack'n'slash?

-Echon

-William Blake
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2003 :  11:59:42  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It can sometimes be a nice relief from dreary daily Real Life...
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2003 :  12:01:50  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Echon
So you enjoy all this hack'n'slash?

No dont get me wrong As normal D&D\RPG gaming goes, I use quite little combat and base my games on heavy role-playing and interaction. Ive never been a fan of "hack-and-slash". I just mean that its a very good game for a quick relief from games that require more thought such as NWN etc.

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Echon
Senior Scribe

Denmark
422 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2003 :  12:03:56  Show Profile  Visit Echon's Homepage Send Echon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mumadar Ibn Huzal

It can sometimes be a nice relief from dreary daily Real Life...

Certainly (recalling the session from yesterday) but not for hours upon hours with no or little immersion, dialogues or story?

-Echon

-William Blake
Go to Top of Page

Echon
Senior Scribe

Denmark
422 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2003 :  12:08:08  Show Profile  Visit Echon's Homepage Send Echon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rad
No dont get me wrong As normal D&D\RPG gaming goes, I use quite little combat and base my games on heavy role-playing and interaction. Ive never been a fan of "hack-and-slash". I just mean that its a very good game for a quick relief from games that require more thought such as NWN etc.

I see what you mean and I do it myself at times, although with other games (usually 1st person shooters).

-Echon

-William Blake
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2003 :  12:24:04  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Echon

Certainly (recalling the session from yesterday) but not for hours upon hours with no or little immersion, dialogues or story?

Oh, but I do agree with you. These hack&slash games aren't really my type of game. After 'cheating' with BG + TotSC, I haven't touched these type of games anymore.
Go to Top of Page

Echon
Senior Scribe

Denmark
422 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2003 :  12:09:38  Show Profile  Visit Echon's Homepage Send Echon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Oh, but I do agree with you. These hack&slash games aren't really my type of game. After 'cheating' with BG + TotSC, I haven't touched these type of games anymore.

Could you elaborate a bit on 'cheating'?

-Echon

-William Blake
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2003 :  12:51:15  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Pregenerating characters with high ability scores, then running them in multiplayer as a group, finding nice items, exporting the character and import multiple times... tomes which increase ability scores come in multiple versions that way...
Go to Top of Page

Echon
Senior Scribe

Denmark
422 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2003 :  12:55:58  Show Profile  Visit Echon's Homepage Send Echon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why (ruin the game)?

-Echon

-William Blake
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2003 :  13:00:29  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I ran it the first time 'straight', after a while it became boring for me... that's when I started to 'mess' around untill even that got boring.

Mind you, this is just my personal experience in relation to the game, not to bash the game or those who have fun playing it. Its just no longer my cup-a-tea.
Go to Top of Page

Echon
Senior Scribe

Denmark
422 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2003 :  13:04:19  Show Profile  Visit Echon's Homepage Send Echon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Would you like recommedations for other CRPGs?

-Echon

-William Blake
Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2003 :  13:08:37  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Recommendations are always welcome, but IM(H)O untill there are powerfull AI's enough, there won't be a game that beats the real thing. Either Table-Top or PbeM.
Go to Top of Page

Echon
Senior Scribe

Denmark
422 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2003 :  13:27:57  Show Profile  Visit Echon's Homepage Send Echon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Recommendations are always welcome, but IM(H)O untill there are powerfull AI's enough, there won't be a game that beats the real thing. Either Table-Top or PbeM.

Having spent a lot of time on different forums one starts noticing particular games that people always mention when discussing really great games. Some of these may be old but great gameplay is never out of date. Here goes:

The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind

The best game I have ever played. A unique fantasy setting, one of the few which are not Middle Earth rip-offs. The best character generation system I have ever tried. Non-linear gameplay, a huge world to explore and a great expansion pack. It's predessesors Arena and Daggerfall both being games of the year.

Planescape: Torment

One of the best AD&D games with respect to true roleplaying. You can play any kind of person and be something more than just a set of numbers within a system of rules. The same goes for the NPCs.
One of the few games where it is actually possible to play an evil character.

Fallout I & II

Same as above. Non-linear gameplay. Not fantasy, however. Still the setting is unique and filled with lore, characters and black humour.
Very good character generation system.

Deus Ex

This game is actually a shooter but still a roleplaying game and according to a lot people, a very good one indeed.

Black & White

Not a roleplaying game is the classical form but another game where it is entirely up to you to decided what kind of person - in this case God - you want to be. Every decision affects your people and your creature - your earthly avatar.
Besides, this game has some of the AI ever.

This is it for now. I might have recommended others, such as Thief - The Dark Project, one of the forces of which is an immense level of immersion.

-Echon

-William Blake

Edited by - Echon on 25 Jan 2003 13:41:17
Go to Top of Page

Kitira Gildragon
Learned Scribe

USA
191 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2003 :  13:07:58  Show Profile  Visit Kitira Gildragon's Homepage Send Kitira Gildragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rad, do they still have it so that the wizard class can't do any damage to end bosses with magic?

-Space for rent-
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2003 :  13:49:20  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kitira Gildragon
Rad, do they still have it so that the wizard class can't do any damage to end bosses with magic?

I dont know, I didnt play much of the PS2 version as it was on a friends machine (I never had a console prior to getting an XBOX). I only played about 3 hours of the PS2 version and havent had much time to dedicate to the XBOX version yet...but I sure intend to

All that I know, its that the levels are longer and the game is tougher than the PS2 version.

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Kitira Gildragon
Learned Scribe

USA
191 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2003 :  16:40:06  Show Profile  Visit Kitira Gildragon's Homepage Send Kitira Gildragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*sigh* If it is tougher, then the mage class has been completely messed over. In PS2 DA, I played with my dad and we used a mage and warrior combo. To put it nicely, I wanted to murder whoever designed the game so that magic has *NO* effect on the end bosses.
- A bugbear chiefitain wouldn't take any damage from magic, but drow would drop dead from a fireball. What in the nine hells were they thinking? It doesn't make sense!

-Space for rent-
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 21 Mar 2003 :  22:17:12  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well BG:DA is finally out in the UK and was released TODAY.....which I promptly bought from the store straight away

Fantastic game! Found an extra enhancement in the Crypt levels so far...

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Strahd Von Zarovich
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
135 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2003 :  23:50:55  Show Profile  Visit Strahd Von Zarovich's Homepage Send Strahd Von Zarovich a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rad
I only played about 3 hours of the PS2 version and havent had much time to dedicate to the XBOX version yet...but I sure intend to.

And boy he sure did!!! We stayed up to some unearthly hour of the morning in multiplayer mode, hacking and slashing away.

Until that is I died near the end of a level just after I uttered the words "There hasn't been anything too difficult on this level so far!".

I left Rad to hack away at hoards of undead pouring at him, while I shouted commands at him to top up his energy levels.

Before I knew it Rad had beat the end of the level then keeled over in a gelatinous nervous mass on the floor, trembling from overload of adrenaline.

Damn Fine Game!!

Strahd Von Zarovich

Strahd Von Zarovich

Alaundo and I invite fans of everything D&D to join us!
http://www.worldsofdnd.com
Go to Top of Page

Kitira Gildragon
Learned Scribe

USA
191 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2003 :  12:59:52  Show Profile  Visit Kitira Gildragon's Homepage Send Kitira Gildragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*LMFAO* I hope you were enjoying yourselves. Adrenaline overload... you really do sound like teenagers. I know better, in Rad's case, though. =)
How do they deal with 'magic' this time? Better than the PS2 version?

-Space for rent-
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2003 :  14:21:45  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

*LMFAO* I hope you were enjoying yourselves. Adrenaline overload... you really do sound like teenagers. I know better, in Rad's case, though. =)
How do they deal with 'magic' this time? Better than the PS2 version?

::clamps hand over Kitiras mouth::

Im not sure about your magic question as i didnt get too involved with the PS2 version of the game...and never used a spellcaster anyway. The game looks very beautiful though (just like you Kitira ) and as I mentioned, ive come across one new effect so far which involves criticial hits to skeletons bursting into flame before crumbling (much like vampire deaths in the Blade II movie)

Yep, myself and Strahd sure had one hell of an adrenaline-pumping time playing the crypt levels..... left me mentally and physically exhausted!

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

Strahd Von Zarovich
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
135 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2003 :  19:56:42  Show Profile  Visit Strahd Von Zarovich's Homepage Send Strahd Von Zarovich a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Adrenaline overload... you really do sound like teenagers.

Well we are the biggest 30+ years old teenagers around

As for the magic, it is exactly the same on the Xbox as it was on the PS2 with the exception of better 3D FX for the spells. It looks pretty!! Ahem.....I mean violent and destructive!!

Strahd Von Zarovich

Strahd Von Zarovich

Alaundo and I invite fans of everything D&D to join us!
http://www.worldsofdnd.com
Go to Top of Page

Kitira Gildragon
Learned Scribe

USA
191 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2003 :  13:21:23  Show Profile  Visit Kitira Gildragon's Homepage Send Kitira Gildragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
::slaps Rad and disentangled herself::
What was that for?

And you know better! Flattery gets no where with me- It obviously doesn't take much to get you mentally exhausted. The physical part, that can be attributed to old age.

But are the magic FX doing any damage to end bosses?

-Space for rent-
Go to Top of Page

Valius
Acolyte

14 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2003 :  17:26:17  Show Profile  Visit Valius's Homepage Send Valius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its a over all good game but its not as... scratches head and thinks for the wright word.. entralling I guess. At the beginning I had to run back and forth a bit. I also dont like taht you cant create custom characters. But it wasnt up to me and I can live with it. But it is still a great game to play with a friend. Just single isnt as fum.
Go to Top of Page

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2013 :  18:03:00  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Was not a fan of this entry...at all!

" I wonder if you are destined to be forgotten. Will your life fade in the shadow of greater beings?"
~Joneleth Irenicus

"Wisdom? My dear boy, wisdom is knowing that you do not know everything. Wisdom is realizing, a wise man ALWAYS has questions. Not answers."

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000