Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Author's forum
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 14

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2005 :  09:40:29  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
Originally posted by The Twin Scimitars

Oh man I have to be over 18 to make a proposal. Is there anyway around that? I really wanna right a novel for them and I believe I can do a really good novel for them. I already have the story completed in my head.

Probably not. You can't really enter into a legal agreement before you're 18.

So, in the meantime, read a lot, and write a lot. It'll only help you out.

Well met

Indeed, the Wooly one advises well. I highly recommend ye read a good variety of novels, read books on writing (How to Write a Damn Good Novel, by James N Frey is a good start), and just keep writing for thyself. Ye will find that ye improve more and more over time, and when thou art old enough, ye will be glad of that extra time ye had Good luck.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2005 :  17:37:52  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

I highly recommend ye read a good variety of novels, read books on writing (How to Write a Damn Good Novel, by James N Frey is a good start), and just keep writing for thyself. Ye will find that ye improve more and more over time, and when thou art old enough, ye will be glad of that extra time ye had Good luck.

Incidentally, that's exactly what I did -- started writing at 13, tempered my style over the next five years, turned 18 and started submitting. It went over well.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

'Tis easier to destroy than to create.

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

The Twin Scimitars
Seeker

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2005 :  22:35:11  Show Profile  Visit The Twin Scimitars's Homepage Send The Twin Scimitars a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes well Im gonna have plenty of time to read since this damned hurricane is supposed to tear up my city and knock my power out for a couple of weeks.

Endure, in enduring we grow strong.
-Dak'kon, Planescape Torment
Go to Top of Page

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2005 :  03:52:49  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have noted over the past few years that several authors who contribute to the Realms have popped up in other worlds with their writing. Several made their debut in the Forgotten Realms, and then moved over to the new play area, Eberron. Some, and more than a few who frequent these boards, are just getting started in the FR.
My question to the gallery, do you find it hard to write in different worlds, especially those outside of the traditional D&D worlds, then come back?
Do you aspire to creating your own world, your own place to play, or is this where you would prefer to write about? I ask this second question because we've seen authors like RAS leave the Dungeons and Dragons worlds, only to return to the place that helped him make a name for himself.

"Hurling himself upon his enemies, he terrified them with slaughter!"

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Candlekeep proverb: If a thing is said often enough, fools aplenty will believe it to be true.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2005 :  15:32:52  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've worked in many different universes, and have never found it difficult to move from one to the next.
I've written non-shared-world material, stuff that's mine from the ground up, and I do hope that eventually I'll get back to doing more of that kind of work than I've done in recent years. But that doesn't mean I want to bail on the Realms. I most certainly don't. But since Wizards usually only wants one novel a year from me, I should have time for both.
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2005 :  17:07:10  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Me, I'm just publishing in the Realms, which is an awesome place. Writing there is a wonderful, surreal experience and a great honor for me, since I've grown up half in the setting.

On the other hand, I write in other worlds all the time. I'm currently working on wrapping up the first book of a trilogy that may or may not be published (we can always hope for the former), and it has nothing to do with the Realms.

Not going to bail on the Realms, and not going to sacrifice explorations of other worlds. I'm at a place in my writing where I can do a great range.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Author of a number of Realms novels (GHOSTWALKER, DEPTHS OF MADNESS, and the SHADOWBANE series), contributor to the NEVERWINTER CAMPAIGN GUIDE and SHADOWFELL: GLOOMWROUGHT AND BEYOND, Twitch DM of the Dungeon Scrawlers, currently playing "The Westgate Irregulars"
Go to Top of Page

Kameron M. Franklin
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2005 :  17:20:50  Show Profile  Visit Kameron M. Franklin's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A good writer can change their narrative voice/style to fit the setting/tone of the story their working on.

I like writing in the Realms, and would welcome another opportunity. My greater desire is to get stories set in my own worlds published.

"You keep saying that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." --Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
Go to Top of Page

James P. Davis
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2005 :  19:54:46  Show Profile  Visit James P. Davis's Homepage Send James P. Davis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Same here on all counts so far. I'd love to keep writing in the Realms, but my own world is currently digging an escape tunnel in my head.

--James

"Everybody is a book of blood; wherever we're opened, we're red."--Clive Barker

FR: RotD2:"Possessions"
Wizards:Bloodwalk
Citadels: The Shield of Weeping Ghosts
Wilds: The Restless Shore
Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep: Circle of Skulls (May 2010)
Book trailers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jC-ska7ohVk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfvFdQ8bLp0
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2005 :  13:39:34  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cut my editorial and authorial teeth in the Realms and learned more from my mentors Jeff Grubb and Ed Greenwood there than any other world/setting. Thus, the Realms will always be important in my heart and hopefully my writing career.

That said, I'm capable and happy to generate new universes/worlds and write in them or work in others. While at TSR/WotC, I worked in every setting save Dragonlance and Ravenloft, so I'm quite flexible when it comes to working in and with the tropes of different worlds, genres, etc.

If I could write my own ticket and work on whatever I wanted, I'd be happy to split my years writing FR fiction, my own contemporary fantasies, some superhero work (either my own or something with old standards at Marvel/DC), and perhaps some TV or movie work here and there.

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2005 :  13:51:09  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

If I could write my own ticket and work on whatever I wanted, I'd be happy to split my years writing FR fiction, my own contemporary fantasies, some superhero work (either my own or something with old standards at Marvel/DC), and perhaps some TV or movie work here and there.
Oooh! I liked reading this especially Steven... It's definitely something I'd love to see. I can only imagine the types of contemporary fantasies your mind could envision .

As for television work, would you like to contribute on existing material/programs or create something new for yourself?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2005 :  03:31:57  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

Oooh! I liked reading this especially Steven... It's definitely something I'd love to see. I can only imagine the types of contemporary fantasies your mind could envision .

As for television work, would you like to contribute on existing material/programs or create something new for yourself?

Well, thanks for the vote of confidence, man.

Very little existing stuff I'd be interested in working on, unless it were bringing back or paying homage to stuff I loved and respected, like FIREFLY, early X-FILES or MILENNIUM, etc. I'm tinkering with an idea a friend has suggested I massage into a screenplay/teleplay for a TV pitch; weird, as I originally just came up with it off the top of my head to prove to someone that a lame comic book character can still keep its core "hook" and still be approached in totally new ways, even after 40+ years. We'll see where that goes.....

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

James P. Davis
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2005 :  06:51:28  Show Profile  Visit James P. Davis's Homepage Send James P. Davis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Steven Schend posted:
quote:
Very little existing stuff I'd be interested in working on, unless it were bringing back or paying homage to stuff I loved and respected, like FIREFLY, early X-FILES or MILENNIUM, etc.

Hmmm, Millenium, that'd be fun...(i.e. Laura Means wakes up, heh-heh...). Sorry, the thought got the hamster in my head to running.

Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 06 Nov 2005 :  19:51:58  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Something that I would love to bring back (as if I could even do it) is Twin Peaks -- now that would be awesome.

But really, I just want David Lynch to bring it back.

[sniff]

But I digress. ;)

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2005 :  18:04:41  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought this might be the best place to ask this question....

Does anyone know what became of FR author Dave Gross? I suddenly wondered what happened to Dave after reading a thread here about Black Wolf (excellent book!!). He also wrote Lord of Stormweather of the Sembia series and co-wrote Mistress of the Night with Don Bassingthwaite (although I think Don wrote the majority of the story). Since then, nothing. I guess he isn't writing for WotC anymore but just wondered

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

rweston
Acolyte

Canada
19 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2005 :  16:20:05  Show Profile Send rweston a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mr. Gross of novel & dragon magazine editing fame is currently (I believe) working for Bioware in the lovely (when the north winds are not howling down across the plains) city of Edmonton here in Canada.
:)
Rory Weston

Grey Box sensibilities
3.x rules
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2005 :  09:39:19  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rweston

Mr. Gross of novel & dragon magazine editing fame is currently (I believe) working for Bioware in the lovely (when the north winds are not howling down across the plains) city of Edmonton here in Canada.
:)
Rory Weston

Ahhh. So is Dave no longer in the employ of WotC? Will he return to write for the Realms? I sure hope so!

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Paj
Seeker

United Kingdom
56 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2006 :  14:59:21  Show Profile  Visit Paj's Homepage Send Paj a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Having recently just re-read the Hunters Blades Trilogy, certain events in the series made me pause and think.

With the abundance of both Divine and Arcane magic present in the realms. And the general knowledge of such things that nearly all people in the realms are aware of. How do you portay the use of such magic without it ruining the suspension and drama of a scene?

For example, the availability of spells that - from a mechanics point of view - allow a person to be fully healed in the space of a few seconds, raised from the dead, or allow the protagonist or his allies to determine the nature of people they meet through Detect Alignment spells.

Likewise for the area of effect spells that Mages/Sorcerers have. The charging tribe of orcs seems less life-threatening/suspenseful when you know the mage can cast fireball, Acid Fog or Wail of the Banshee/Meteor Swarm and butcher the tribe before it gets close to the protagonists.

Do you, as authors, deliberately avoid using such powerful offensive spells and healing/resurrection spells? or do you simply apply them in such a way that the effects do not follow the mechanics of said spell?

I guess im really asking what you do with the high level abilities/spells available to characters in the Realms - ignore them, or limit their effectiveness from a prose perspective?
Go to Top of Page

Skeptic
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1273 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2006 :  15:36:31  Show Profile Send Skeptic a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Don't forget that no author don't follow the "D&D aspect" of FR more than RAS. He can even still use the old cosmology (see PotWK)

At the complete opposite, you have Richard B. with his Final Gate trilogy and Richard L. with his Rogues Dragon trilogy.

I would say Ed is somewhere in the middle.

Edited by - Skeptic on 15 May 2006 15:38:35
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2006 :  21:19:48  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paj

With the abundance of both Divine and Arcane magic present in the realms. And the general knowledge of such things that nearly all people in the realms are aware of. How do you portay the use of such magic without it ruining the suspension and drama of a scene?

Simple: by orchestrating events such that when you want life-or-death drama, you don't allow the wizard to have lots of world-shattering magic at the ready, or you don't present him with challenges he can just get out of.

A charging tribe just isn't a credible threat to someone with epic spells of doom. Elminster doesn't take on orc hordes, but powerful red wizards of Thay, lichlords, and cosmic threats. If he were the star of The Hunter's Blades, it would be a different series entirely.

It helps when mighty spells don't sway the tide because their function doesn't mean as much. For instance, the wizard has all kinds of fire magic, but here comes the fire elementals. The beautiful sorceress is laying waste to her foes, but there's the adamantine golem, calmly plodding toward her, untouched by her powers.

Drama doesn't come out of moments where heroes could wipe a threat out easily. Or sometimes they DO wipe out a threat easily, but it turns out to be the diversion.

As for the smaller scale spells, Know Alignment can be fooled (e.g. Masquerades, Kate Novak and Jeff Grubb), healing magic can run out or prove insufficient, and sometimes characters don't REALIZE they should be casting spells. Who's to guess what the main character's husband unknowingly is the ravening werewolf the party has to track down? If I had Remove Curse and Remove Disease, I might go around casting it on everyone I came across, but that's no reason to suspect the heroes might do so.

quote:
Do you, as authors, deliberately avoid using such powerful offensive spells and healing/resurrection spells? or do you simply apply them in such a way that the effects do not follow the mechanics of said spell?

I guess im really asking what you do with the high level abilities/spells available to characters in the Realms - ignore them, or limit their effectiveness from a prose perspective?

Speaking for myself (and for what I perceive to be the standard guidelines when it comes to WotC writing), I don't monkey with mechanics. Spells do what they do, as written up. As to whether I avoid powerful spells. . . heck no! I love 'em. I simply engineer situations where they don't necessarily automatically save the party, wholesale. And that's not a hard thing to do.

I love powerful offensive and healing spells, but I always make them *necessary*, or sometimes I make them *useless*. Other wizards show up with spellshields. Golems are immune to most spells, as I noted above. No character can (or should) be able to do it all, and there will always be some threats (the nondramatic ones) that get wiped out easily, and some (the source of drama) that don't. It's all just a matter of situation.

A note on resurrection vs. death: I don't feel hindered on this account. It should be noted that raising / resurrection is not a sure fire thing, and not a handy reversal of a situation gone bad. Unless a hero can cast the raising herself, there's got to be a lot of coin coming from somewhere, and she's got to find a priest who can even do it (e.g. Prophet of Moonshae, Douglas Niles). Even then, the soul/spirit has to want to come back (e.g. Forsaken House, Rich Baker). And even then, it's possible for spells to go awry and *different* souls to come back. . .

There's enough ambiguity that death is still a very scary thing.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Edited by - Erik Scott de Bie on 15 May 2006 21:21:06
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2006 :  21:36:44  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To expand on Erik's reply, also remember that divine spells come from a deity and maybe they don't want thier clerics to use resurrection or healing or removing disease/poison/curse, etc, on so and so. There's many reasons why this might be the case. 1) that person doesn't worship that deity. 2) That persons deity might have it's reasons why that person won't be allowed to have that magic cast on them. 3) In the case of Azoun, bringing him back is agaisnt the laws and it might also bring back those that he slew.

So, basically, there is more to divine magic then, "Is that char high enough to cast these spells."

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

LoneHeroDragon
Acolyte

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2006 :  18:29:44  Show Profile  Visit LoneHeroDragon's Homepage Send LoneHeroDragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Here's the almighty question. well, two questions, really.

One; how do you become a writer for D&D/Forgotten Realms?
Two; if it's impossible for someone without experience to do so, is it at least possible to submit a plot idea for a Forgotten Realms book? I'm obsessed with Forgotten Realms and the idea I've come up with for it gets better every day. I don't want this dream to die.
Any help or answers would be greatly appreciated.

Rich Horrocks

Edited by - LoneHeroDragon on 21 Jun 2006 20:15:12
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2006 :  18:44:04  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm no author, (definately an (unpublished) writer, though)* but:
One - Reading this webpage is a start at least.

*A paranthesis within the paranthesis. Guess we now know why I had to add the "unpublished" bit.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Kajehase on 21 Jun 2006 18:45:30
Go to Top of Page

LoneHeroDragon
Acolyte

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2006 :  20:12:24  Show Profile  Visit LoneHeroDragon's Homepage Send LoneHeroDragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow. Thanks! I've been looking for something like that for a while. I may not to be able to submit an idea for Forgotten Realms, but maybe I can come up with a new idea and maybe get discovered that way. It's my ultimate dream to be a writer and I'm still young so I've got a long time to hone my skills if it doesn't get accepted. All I can do is try my best and hope for the same. Thanks for your help.

Rich Horrocks
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2006 :  20:39:16  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Stick in there, LHD. I now exactly (EXACTLY) what it's like to be in that position.

quote:
Two; if it's impossible for someone without experience to do so

Nope. Look at me. I had virtually NO experience. Never been published, never been employed by Wizards. I'd gamed for a long time and been writing unpublished stuff for a long while, but other than that. . .

The writing is what will do the talking -- proposal, interview, and actual labor. Practice, practice, practice. You seem rather articulate already, and that's a good sign.

There are good books on writing (I can recommend, without hesitation, John Gardner's The Art of Fiction, and I know Stephen King and Orson Scott Card have both written memoirs/instruction texts. Also, there are good composition classes out there, if you find professors you connect with.

My greatest recommendation, though, is practice. Write practice books -- don't intend them for publication, just try things out, do whatever you want. I might elicit shocked gasps or growls with this, but do fan fiction. Whatever you've got, do it.

Youth is also a strength. If you're under 18, you might not be able to get anyone to publish (I know WotC hesitates on that point), but that's fine! Use that time to practice. I myself wrote three books before I was out of high school (most of which are far too embarassing ever to be seen). And if you aren't that young, don't worry about it! People publish at every stage of life -- the only requirements are talent and readiness.

You've got my support!

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

LoneHeroDragon
Acolyte

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2006 :  20:51:37  Show Profile  Visit LoneHeroDragon's Homepage Send LoneHeroDragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much. You've lifted my spirits and made me feel like it's not impossible. You've done exactly what I hope to do and it abviously worked for you.
At the moment, I'm 19 and in the middle of training for a career in computers. Writing will always be my passion, though. I've got no college under my belt. In fact, I dropped out of high school. I do have my GED, though and I read more and more books everyday and write constantly. I wouldn't say I'm as good as any big authors out there, but there are some published works I've read that I've actually re-written in my head as I read them, believing my version the better.
This is starting to sound like a resume, but what the hell.
I just wish I could get the idea I've been working on for the past few months out there. I think it's well thought out and I haven't seen anything like it anywhere. For those that love dragons in general, it's a dream come true.

Rich Horrocks
Go to Top of Page

Erik Scott de Bie
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
4598 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2006 :  21:33:48  Show Profile  Visit Erik Scott de Bie's Homepage Send Erik Scott de Bie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm glad you're feeling encouraged.

Also, one other thing: Even when you've got stuff published, it's good to be able to support yourself with some other job, and computers seems to have worked out for a number of published friends of mine. So stick with that, too.

And even if you have no desire to pursue a writing career (or you find it doesn't work out for you, whether because success isn't coming or you find it just doesn't mesh with your situation), writing makes a great (if somewhat solitary) hobby.

Cheers

Erik Scott de Bie

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2006 :  02:26:10  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'll second all the good advice given above and add:
1. I found the how-to-write books by Lawrence Block (especially Telling Lies for Fun and Profit and Writing the Novel from Plot to Print) exceptionally helpful when I was starting out.
2. Much as you may love WotC's universes, it's short-sighted to aspire to be a WotC author and a WotC author only. At the very least, aspire to be a fantasy writer. Submit to a diversity of markets. You're likely to break into print sooner and may well have a far more prolific and profitable career. And the credits you pile up elsewhere can do wonders in terms of eventually getting you that first assignment from WotC. That's the way it happened for me.
Go to Top of Page

Mkhaiwati
Learned Scribe

USA
252 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2006 :  04:01:35  Show Profile  Visit Mkhaiwati's Homepage Send Mkhaiwati a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I may also comment, (okay, not an author, but I play one in my mind), if you pursue your dream of writing, be ready for what may seem as unwarranted criticism. Most of these authors here have fairly thick skins (thankfully), but I am sure that at least a few times when a reader makes a comment and the author is thinking "But, but, it had to happen that way..."

Be ready for conflicting criticism, also. I have had creative writing classes, and one big item they tend to push (in my experience) is that you need descriptions of people and things. Contrast this with a reader in one of the forums here who made several comments regarding a writers style for info-dumping information describing what a person was wearing or looked like. It was a complete opposite of what I had learned in a class several years ago.

Another person to read (and someone who Ed Greenwood also treasures) is Roger Zelazny. His short story collections, Frost & Fire, The Last Unicorn, Last Defender of Camelot, and a few others, are very handy books to pick up. He puts in small tidbits of writing gems, and in some cases whole articles on his own writing process. He describes various methods of writing also. With the example in the previous paragraph, if I remember correctly he suggested three small descriptions of a person (hair, size, clothing) and if something was else needed, like eye color, he would blend it into a later sentence. "Of course," she answered, her blue eyes flashing. His writing isn't for everyone, but his writing parts might give you food for thought.

Oh, and parantheses in parantheses are called brackets ([]).

Mkhaiwati

"Behold the work of the old... let your heritage not be lost but bequeath it as a memory, treasure and blessing... Gather the lost and the hidden and preserve it for thy children."

"not nale. not-nale. thog help nail not-nale, not nale. and thog knot not-nale while nale nail not-nale. nale, not not-nale, now nail not-nale by leaving not-nale, not nale, in jail." OotS #367
Go to Top of Page

James P. Davis
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2006 :  06:16:14  Show Profile  Visit James P. Davis's Homepage Send James P. Davis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good advice all, just wanted to add Writing Down the Bones by Natalie Goldberg as another helpful tome. Good Luck!

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2006 :  06:30:43  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have to acknowledge my inner nitpicker and say that Peter S. Beagle wrote The Last Unicorn.
Roger Zelazy wrote Unicorn Variations.
Zelazny and Beagle are two of the finest writers the genre of the fantastic has to offer. Zelazny is remarkable for, among other virtues, the way he employs a very spare style (which is to say, not much description) yet paints an exceptionally vivid picture in your head. I'd love to be able to do that.
For what it's worth, I think Beagle's best novel is The Last Unicorn, and Zelazny's is Lord of Light (technically sf, but with a fantasy feel.) If you haven't read them, check them out.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 14 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000