Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Dendar the Night serpent
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Senbar Flay
Learned Scribe

185 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2004 :  04:57:16  Show Profile  Visit Senbar Flay's Homepage Send Senbar Flay a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
well met all!

i have read abotu this creature in a few sourcebooks but it dosen.t describe exactly what it is does or is for. It is realy a mystery to me so please enlighten me.

Imagination is more important than knowledge for knowledge is limited imagination encircles the world.- Albert Einstein

Wood Elf Ranger
Senior Scribe

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2004 :  07:52:05  Show Profile  Visit Wood Elf Ranger's Homepage Send Wood Elf Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Read the Avatar series of books. Dendar is in there quite a bit and there is a really good description of who she is and what she does, or what her fate is supposed to be. I think Prince of Lies from that series has the most in it about her but the whole series is good if you have not read it, you should

~Lee N.

"Breaktime yes?!.. Yes?.. Maybe?.. Noo, baaack to work.." -Grovel the Goblin from NWN: HotU
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2004 :  16:35:17  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you read the Powers & Pantheons writeup, there isn't much more to know.
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2004 :  00:13:14  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dendar the Night Serpent:

Dendar the Night Serpent came into existence shortly after the first being slept and had a nightmare. She has an uncountable horde of horrible dreams and foul visions in her gullet that she has been devouring since the dawn of time. She relishes the taste of particularly choice nightmares and savors the dreams of kings and deities alike. More horrifying, if she did not feed her insatiable appetite, every being, mortal or deity, would remember every nightmare he or she has ever dreamed in excruciating detail. Supposedly, she will be the harbinger of the end of the world and even the gods themselves.

The Night Serpent's slit-pupiled eyes are the sickly yellow-black of rotten eggs. Her forked tongue flickers incessantly over her smooth lips. Her monstrous fangs are always coated with the viscous essence of lost dreams. She speaks with a sibilant, malignant voice that drips with ancient horrors. Midnight-black scales over her colossal hide and serve as the physical embodiment of the most terrifying nightmares she has swallowed.

Although she can slither across the Barrens of Doom and Despair or any of the lower planes at will, the Night Serpent is almost always found in her lair. Dendar lives in a vast cave near the oozing river that surrounds much of the Fugue Plane. The hiss of the Night Serpent's breathing echoes through the plane as she sleeps, contentedly gorged on the world's unremembered nightmares. Anyone who approaches her cave finds her awake and awaiting them with anticipatory delight as she savors and relives their worst unremembered nightmares. Her cavernous maw is large enough to swallow a giant, and her tongue can knock an armored man to the ground with a single flick. Beneath her tongue is a foul mire of greasy spittle and half-devoured bones -- the corporeal manifestations of her dream diet's remnants.

To the ancient Rus, Dendar was known as Nidhogg, the serpent who gnaws at the roots of the world tree that connects all things. In Calimport, she is known (incorrectly) as the Mother of the Night Parade. In the Jungles of Chult, Dendar is known as the Eater of the
World. Legends tell of how Ubtao, Creator of Chult, will battle the Night Serpent when she emerges through a gigantic iron door located beneath one of the Peaks of Flame and attempts to eat the sun. If Ubtao fails in his duty, the stories say Dendar will readily devour the sun and the doom of the world will finally arrive.

I got this info off Dracandos, who got it off The Sage.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2004 :  14:16:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101

I got this info off Dracandos, who got it off The Sage.

... who got it from the D&D Novel Archives... . Now, how's that for third-hand knowledge...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 15 Nov 2004 :  17:19:45  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I also believe that Dendar had a write up on WoTC website along with Kezef and The Elf Eater.You may want to look there as well.

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2004 :  02:06:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by VEDSICA

I also believe that Dendar had a write up on WoTC website along with Kezef and The Elf Eater.You may want to look there as well.

Yes, that was the article I was talking about .

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2004 :  02:38:53  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:

Yes, that was the article I was talking about .

(sigh) Everyone once in awhile WotC will surprise us with something amazingly good like this article. They haven't done that recently, have they?

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2004 :  04:07:58  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I believe those 3 will get a more complete write up in Champions of Ruin

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Beowulf
Learned Scribe

Canada
322 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2004 :  21:30:11  Show Profile  Visit Beowulf's Homepage Send Beowulf a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101

To the ancient Rus, Dendar was known as Nidhogg, the serpent who gnaws at the roots of the world tree that connects all things.

But that we could keep the real world out of the Forgotten Realms!!! I've been told it's a bad thing , but it seems some have insisted in crossing the two over since the get go!

Rus = preChristian Scandinavian who formed up and followed their trade routes east into the area of modern Russia ... which takes it's name from this tribe.

Nidhhogg (two h's) = the wyrm/serpent/maggot/snake/dragon that lives in Niflehel (dark/misty Hell) and gnaws at the root of the world tree, poisoning it. He also gnaws on the souls of oathbreakers with the Fenris Wulf on Nastrond (Shore of Corpses). Nidh = dispicable terd, hogg = chewer.

One might also note that the hell hound, Kez-whatever, was entirely inspired by Fenris Wulf from Teutonic mythology.

"Ill tempered the wretch, who laughs at everyone. He cannot recognize, as he should, that he is not without faults." the High One, Poetic Edda
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2018 :  17:54:40  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Learned Scribe Flay,

Here is a good compiled list of information:

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Dendar

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Senbar Flay

well met all!

i have read abotu this creature in a few sourcebooks but it dosen.t describe exactly what it is does or is for. It is realy a mystery to me so please enlighten me.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000