Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Adventuring
 OOC Forum for the Dead 5 Campaign
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 03 Nov 2004 :  22:14:14  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Background for Mithimmar Thunderhammer

Mithimmar prodded the fire with the stick he found, sparking a brief show of flashes which reminded him of the fireworks he once witnessed in far off Telflamm. He turned his gaze back to the strange creature who was now his traveling companion.
“Leck-thick,” he mispronounced again. It was not for a lack of trying to say the Thri-kreen warrior’s name, he just couldn’t get around the speech of the bug. Bug, he thought, I should not be so hard on him. If not for Leck (he could pronounce that much with ease!) the dwarf would most likely have died in the caverns of the Underdark months ago. “I mean, Leck,” at this the Thri-kreen gave the dwarf a slight bow, “we should be getting’ off soon, methinks. Ye have yer clutch ta find and I aim to be helpin’ ye.” Again the insect-like warrior nodded.
Mith poked again at the small fire, crackling embers igniting memories, thoughts of how he came to be in this situation.

“Keep it hot boyo!” Mithimmar and his father, Duramar, labored over the hot embers of the workshop. Mar-dolnir, Duramar’s masterpiece, was almost finished. The adamantine warhammer was a labor of love for the Morndinsamman cleric of Moradin. Duramar was a respected member of the All-Father’s clergy, and recently received word that he would help found an elite group of warriors in Citadel Adbar, the Hammers of Moradin. What better time than now to finish Mar-dolnir.
The father and son would finish the clan’s warhammer, which Duramar used often and effectively in protecting their home from the scavenger races of drow, goblin, and giant. Duramar helped in creating the Hammers, a group that would soon show the North their resolve. These memories often brought a flash of light into Mithimmar’s eyes.
As any good dwarf is wont to do, Mith joined the Iron Guard when he was old enough. After a solid background in dwarven military tactics, he followed in his father’s footsteps by becoming a cleric of Moradin, a position that both father and son knew would lead Mithimmar into the Hammers of Moradin. Unfortunately, Duramar would not live to see Mithimmar’s promotion into the elite ranks of the brotherhood. A large and aggressive group of goblins surrounded a patrol of dwarves in the nearby mountains which Duramar was a part of. Five survivors returned the bodies of the dead, including Duramar, to Adbar on their warponies.
As an accomplished warrior and Sonnlinor, Mithimmar joined the ranks of the Hammers of Moradin while still young. Despite his age he became a stalwart defender of the tunnels below Citidel Adbar. Only a few months past, one of the goblin prisoners they took in a foray yielded information about drow incursions into the area. Mithimmar was given command of a small company of warriors to ferret out the dark elves involved and put an end to whatever plans they had, permanently.
The drow discovered the dwarves’ incursion into the Underdark and hired a local group of duergar assassins to take care of the problem. The Forak-Erach-Naek cared not for the method of the assassination, so they attempted to collapse a section of tunnel on the dwarves. Realizing what his masters planned, Leck-tichk lured Mithimmar just out of range of the trap. Mithimmar realized instantly what the fate of his companions was. Many of the dwarves had been lifelong companions and friends. Now, they were all dead, and he bore the brunt of responsibility as their leader. Perhaps in a fit of rage, or even a stoic attempt at redemption, Mithimmar tracked the duergar assassins through a series of side tunnels and attacked despite the overwhelming odds. Mar-dolnir, the magical thundering warhammer was his only companion, or so he thought. Just when the tide of battle turned and the dwarf would be defeated, the mysterious thri-kreen appeared at his side to ‘hunt’ the duergar down. In savage fury the two warriors defeated the remaining duergar leaving one alive for much needed answers.
Wary of the insectoid, Mithimmar wandered the tunnels with his prisoner and the thri-kreen for days before accepting that Leck intended him no harm. The information they abstracted from the evil dwarf surprised both of them. The drow hired the assassin group to kill the dwarves, which meant they were expecting the dwarves, and the rogue group of drow had a long standing arrangement with the duergar, an arrangement that several years earlier had resulted in the selling of Leck-tichk to the duergar. The two, dwarf and thri-kreen, made a pact. Leck would help the dwarf hunt down and destroy the cadre of drow, and in return, Mithimmar would help Leck return south to his clutch.
It did not take them long to reach the rogue drow’s territory. Waves of fell beasts and drow assassination squads foundered against the staunch allies advances. Night after endless night the drow sought to exhaust the two invaders, but little did they realize that the thri-kreen required no sleep, the dwarf wore a Ring of Sustenance, and that the Hammer of Moradin was a follower of the All-Father and could heal their fatigued bodies. The desire to hunt, and the training of the Hammers, prompted the duo to make a strategic strike at the heart of the drow. Much to their surprise, again, they discovered the drow leader to be a priestess of the dark goddess Lolth. Even the Queen of Webs could not hold back the fury and destruction of an enraged, avenging dwarf and thri-kreen. They defeated the priestess and her entourage, Leck finding a fine suit of Spidersilk armor, and fled the area knowing that the network of rogue drow was weakened beyond its ability to maintain itself. The two headed back for the surface world where they established a temporary camp before heading south.

Mithimmar reached down to scoop up another handful of dirt into his hands to douse the fire in the hours before dawn. He stopped and held the soft earth for a few moments, saying a silent prayer to Moradin. He let it fall, extinguishing the fire, and turned to Leck in the darkness, letting their eyes adjust with their darkvision.
“I dinnot be knowin’ ye, Leck-Tichk,” he slowly, clearly pronounced the name successfully, “but what I do be knowin’, I like. Yer a warrior with no love a tha’ drow, an’ ye saved me life.” He dipped low into a bow at this and continued, “I owe ye a chance at findin’ yer clutch, an’ bein’ a dwarf I realize tha value o’ family. So I be with ye until we can get ye home. Now, I don’ want no blubberin’ about it, so lets be off here afore we lose the cover o’ dark.

"Hurling himself upon his enemies, he terrified them with slaughter!"

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Candlekeep proverb: If a thing is said often enough, fools aplenty will believe it to be true.

Edited by - hammer of Moradin on 03 Nov 2004 22:16:16
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2004 :  08:07:54  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aye and well met everyone!!

I have returned from a successful jobhunting trip only to find my computer's power supply melted!! I have had to wait a few days to access the Internet from home, but now my computer is back and repaired, so I return to thee forthwith!!

Forget what I said in the other thread: I don't need your background stories as they have been posted on this thread. All I need right now is Lysander's stats and background (they have gone astray in the ebbs and flow of the cybernetic ethereal plane!!)

Cheers!
PDK
Go to Top of Page

Wood Elf Ranger
Senior Scribe

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 12 Feb 2006 :  22:34:02  Show Profile  Visit Wood Elf Ranger's Homepage Send Wood Elf Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If this campaign ever gets started again someone please e-mail me. I still want to adventure as Leck but I probably wont get on Candlekeep very often.

So just e-mail me please if this starts up again, thanks

~Lee N.

"Breaktime yes?!.. Yes?.. Maybe?.. Noo, baaack to work.." -Grovel the Goblin from NWN: HotU
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000