Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Xvim the Banesone
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Phantom_Lord
Seeker

Pakistan
92 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2004 :  08:28:14  Show Profile  Visit Phantom_Lord's Homepage Send Phantom_Lord a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I needed some comprehensive info on this quasi-power. Pre-ToT of course.

For example, the origins of Xvim are not entirely clear some say his mum was a demon some say she was a goody two shoes paladin that fell head over heels for Bane. He was also a ruler of Westgate for a while!

Anyone with any notes or info on Xvim?

Thanks, much appreciated!

Phantom_Lord

Ponka! Kaddu!

rowwhenn
Acolyte

France
12 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2004 :  09:42:54  Show Profile  Visit rowwhenn's Homepage Send rowwhenn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
["Ruins of Zhentil Keep" box - 2nd]
Xvim is said to be the result of a union between the Black Lord Bane , and a greater or a true tanar'ri ; thus the blood of Bane runs through his veins (another tale says he's the spawn of the Black Lord and a corrupted paladin) .

During the ToT , he found himself mysteriously confined to the subterranean depths of Faerūn , under Zhentil Keep .

At the end of ToT, it took the quasi-power until the destruction of Zhentil Keep to escape his earthen prison and etablish a base in Gehenna. With the setbacks that Cyric has suffered, Xvim has taken it upon himself some of the former portfolios of his father Bane.

During the Year of Gauntlet (1369) , in Ches , Xvim ascends to complete godhood, leaving behind his former status of quasi-power. He's now a lesser power; needed to wait the mounth of Eleint for announce the arrival of Xvim .

-------------------------
Timeline :

710 : some saw a gate from Abyss on Port-Ponant and a hord of Tieffelins ( in english ? ) attack the city . The leader is Iyachtu Xvim . He took the throne of Port-Ponant.

734 : Xvim needed to run away from the truth heir, Farnath Ilistar.
Go to Top of Page

Phantom_Lord
Seeker

Pakistan
92 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2004 :  11:04:56  Show Profile  Visit Phantom_Lord's Homepage Send Phantom_Lord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rowwhenn
Timeline :

710 : some saw a gate from Abyss on Port-Ponant and a hord of Tieffelins ( in english ? ) attack the city . The leader is Iyachtu Xvim . He took the throne of Port-Ponant.

734 : Xvim needed to run away from the truth heir, Farnath Ilistar.

Good stuff! Where is this timeline taken from?
Thanks.

Ponka! Kaddu!
Go to Top of Page

rowwhenn
Acolyte

France
12 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2004 :  17:41:24  Show Profile  Visit rowwhenn's Homepage Send rowwhenn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Timeline in the book "Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting" (3°Edition)

My pleasure ; I dislike Xvim , and when you want to fight something , better you know it , better you'll win
Go to Top of Page

Phantom_Lord
Seeker

Pakistan
92 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2004 :  19:03:37  Show Profile  Visit Phantom_Lord's Homepage Send Phantom_Lord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Timeline in the book "Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting" (3°Edition)

Merci!

Ponka! Kaddu!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2004 :  23:39:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

My pleasure ; I dislike Xvim , and when you want to fight something , better you know it , better you'll win

Myself, I liked Xvim. I thought he had much better style than Bane... I was actually disappointed to read of Bane's return.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Phantom_Lord
Seeker

Pakistan
92 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2004 :  08:46:53  Show Profile  Visit Phantom_Lord's Homepage Send Phantom_Lord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Myself, I liked Xvim. I thought he had much better style than Bane... I was actually disappointed to read of Bane's return.

Me too, I liked/like Xvim. The more I get to know about Bane the more I think he shouldn't have died in Time of Troubles. It was too much of a comic book scenario; we made a mistake killing him, now we'll have to bring him back.

Say Wooly, since you're very good at collecting data, do you have any stuff on Xvim or Bane in your little treasure chest?

Ponka! Kaddu!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2004 :  14:48:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Phantom_Lord

Say Wooly, since you're very good at collecting data, do you have any stuff on Xvim or Bane in your little treasure chest?

Other than what's readily available in various sourcebooks, I've no extra info on Xvim. Off the top of my head, the main sources of info on ol' Xvimmy would be The Ruins of Zhentil Keep boxed set and Faiths & Avatars.

Go to Top of Page

Phantom_Lord
Seeker

Pakistan
92 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2004 :  15:25:47  Show Profile  Visit Phantom_Lord's Homepage Send Phantom_Lord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Other than what's readily available in various sourcebooks, I've no extra info on Xvim. Off the top of my head, the main sources of info on ol' Xvimmy would be The Ruins of Zhentil Keep boxed set and Faiths & Avatars.

Thank you, Wooly.

Ponka! Kaddu!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2004 :  18:24:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Thank you, Wooly.

Xvim was also in the novel Tymora's Luck.

And you might want to ask Ed about Xvim, as well. I don't have time at the moment to track down the reference, but I seem to recall one of the 7 Sisters having battled him at some point in the past. It was either one of them or the Knights of Myth Drannor...

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 13 Sep 2004 18:31:05
Go to Top of Page

Phantom_Lord
Seeker

Pakistan
92 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2004 :  19:42:34  Show Profile  Visit Phantom_Lord's Homepage Send Phantom_Lord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wooly, you are indeed right. Xvim fought Storm; they have a sort of Lex Luthor and Superman thing going on.

But I didn't know that Xvim was a prominent character in Tymora's Luck

Ponka! Kaddu!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2004 :  19:51:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Wooly, you are indeed right. Xvim fought Storm; they have a sort of Lex Luthor and Superman thing going on.

But I didn't know that Xvim was a prominent character in Tymora's Luck

I don't know if I'd call him a prominent character, but he is in the book.

Go to Top of Page

Neil
Learned Scribe

Canada
107 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2004 :  12:34:05  Show Profile  Visit Neil's Homepage Send Neil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

'Banite' sounds better than 'Xvimlar'. That, and I really liked Bane, and missed him while he was gone. He was a god with tradition, brains and charisma, although as I understood it, certain TSR policies related to morality in the novels and sourcebooks made him come off a little like Dr. Claw ("I'll get you next time, Gadget! Next time!")

Bringing back Bane in the official products saves me the trouble of doing it myself. ;)
Go to Top of Page

Phantom_Lord
Seeker

Pakistan
92 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2004 :  13:36:46  Show Profile  Visit Phantom_Lord's Homepage Send Phantom_Lord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You peeps can also check out 'halls of the high king'.

its about the 'risen cult of bane' trying to take over the moonshae isles.

Ponka! Kaddu!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2004 :  16:12:27  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Neil

quote:

'Banite' sounds better than 'Xvimlar'. That, and I really liked Bane, and missed him while he was gone. He was a god with tradition, brains and charisma, although as I understood it, certain TSR policies related to morality in the novels and sourcebooks made him come off a little like Dr. Claw ("I'll get you next time, Gadget! Next time!")

Bringing back Bane in the official products saves me the trouble of doing it myself. ;)

I don't even like the name "Bane", much less terms like "Banite". "Iyachtu Xvim" is a cool name to say, and "Xvimlar" very much works for me.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 16 Oct 2004 16:13:49
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2018 :  17:42:49  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Learned Scribe Phantom_Lord,

Here is a compiled list of materials and references:

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Iyachtu_Xvim

Best regards,

quote:

For example, the origins of Xvim are not entirely clear some say his mum was a demon some say she was a goody two shoes paladin that fell head over heels for Bane. He was also a ruler of Westgate for a while!

Phantom_Lord

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2018 :  20:07:22  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've come to question Xvim's "death" in the many years since this discussion. Here's my reasoning, which has been shared in these halls before:

There's a lot of things about Bane's return that just don't quite make sense...

Xvim's followers -- the folks that Xvim already had and wouldn't want to lose -- were the ones that had the vision of Xvim bursting apart and Bane returning. And this vision was accompanied by green flames -- something that Xvim favored.

Bane 1.0 used red and black as his colors. Bane 2.0 uses black and green -- the same colors as Xvim. Bane 2.0 uses an entirely different holy symbol from Bane 1.0, which is quite suggestive by itself. And some of the favored critters Bane 2.0 has used since his return were not used by Bane 1.0 -- but they were used by Xvim.

Now, there are different possible interpretations. One is that Bane 1.0 did indeed return, mostly subsuming his son -- but not entirely. It could be an amalgam of sorts, with bits of Xvim remaining in the mix. It could be a hostile takeover, with the out-of-place things being parts of Xvim that Bane has not been able to overcome (The Sage has noted this as an interpretation of Bane's new holy symbol). It's also possible that Bane 2.0 has entirely subsumed Xvim, but retained some things just to keep Xvim's folks happy.

Now me, I look at this and I think that the Ultimate Tyrant isn't all that if he can't beat his own kid, and that the Ultimate Tyrant does not show strength by catering to others...

So the explanation I favor is that the reason we see so much of Xvim in Bane 2.0 is because Xvim is Bane 2.0. It's not at all uncommon in the Realms for one deity to pick up the name of a fallen deity, and thus grab that other deity's worship -- Shar did it with Ibrandul, and Lolth did it with Moander, for example. Xvim was a newcomer on the deific scene, but if he pretends to be Daddy, he gets Daddy's worshippers and Daddy's prestige -- a huge boon for a lesser power.

Xvim's champion gathered as much of Bane's old power and essence as he could. The followers of Xvim were the only ones who saw Bane's return, with a vision that had Xvim's signature on it. Bane 2.0 has a lot of things in common with Xvim that Bane 1.0 did not, and Xvim stood to gain a lot from pretending to be Bane. Hence, my conclusion: Bane is still dead, and Xvim is pretending to have replaced him.

Also, there's this bit, from a discussion on the Scouring of Shadowdale "supermodule". A designer looked at my theory and did not confirm or deny it. That's not conclusive, obviously, but my theory was not ruled out by a person who would have been in the know, at the time.

quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:

One other thing that struck me as interesting: the Black Beast of Bane. It says that, like his son Xvim, the reborn Bane likes manifestations involving evil critters and carnivores. Looking at Faiths & Avatars, that seems to be more of Xvim thing, and not something that Bane 1.0 did all that much. Maybe I'm reading into it because I want to, but that seems to me to be another indication that there is still a lot of Xvim in Bane 2.0. This, of course, supports my two favorite (and opposing) theories of Bane's return -- the "What the hey, I'm back!" theory, or the "Hey, look at me, I'm really Bane, not Xvim!" theory. But I'm prolly just reading too much into it.

Glad you're having fun speculating. ;-)

--Eric

Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2018 :  23:20:09  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That sounds plausible but what about the power that goes with it? Bane was a greater power. Xvim was not. How does that power get bestowed? Just because I can wear my dad's shoes doesn't mean I can use his credit cards.

Also, that is pretty tricky for someone that hasn't shown that leaning before. You would think one or more of the other gods would just laugh at him if he tried it (unless another greater god helped him pull it off).

Now Bane just deciding that junior was a means to an end. Oh, yeah. He may of just have kept that stuff to a. make it harder for junior to come back and b. to grab more worshippers easier because mortals are stupid and he didn't want to confuse them.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2018 :  00:40:56  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Rupert,

I get your point there. It's not a bad idea behind it all. I see it differently though.

I look at it as one big insurance policy: Xvim that is.

So, one day, back in 710DR, Xvim the Baneson gets on scene in Westgate and does his thing for 24 years. He gets ousted, but he's out and about...for 658 years. Nothing else is seemingly going on. During this time though his father has the same portfolio: Fear, Hatred, and Tyranny. I mean, this just seems like an insurance policy for when his death was to come: essentially like a contingency for when he died, because he was going to have to have his divine essence stored somewhere when he died. Guess what...Bane knew he was going to die too: he knew when El Nar'ysr prophesied it in the Phoenix Prophecies.
quote:
The Nar'ysr predicted the deaths of "three who would shake the world," and long afterward this was confirmed with the deaths of Bane, Bhaal, and Myrkul. (EotSS, p6)

Once Xvim had part of dad's essence in him, it gave him the ability to come back when whatever needed to be done, was done.

So, as to your point regarding beating his own kid, Master Rupert, I agree, but I think it was that Bane didn't want to beat his kid, since he was using him.

Also, now that there is seemingly some remaining divine aspect of Xvim around, Bane has the possibility to rework another vessel for whenever stuff gets crazy for Bane again, and may lead to him being taken out.

Best regards,

quote:

I've come to question Xvim's "death" in the many years since this discussion. Here's my reasoning, which has been shared in these halls before:

There's a lot of things about Bane's return that just don't quite make sense...

Xvim's followers -- the folks that Xvim already had and wouldn't want to lose -- were the ones that had the vision of Xvim bursting apart and Bane returning. And this vision was accompanied by green flames -- something that Xvim favored.

Bane 1.0 used red and black as his colors. Bane 2.0 uses black and green -- the same colors as Xvim. Bane 2.0 uses an entirely different holy symbol from Bane 1.0, which is quite suggestive by itself. And some of the favored critters Bane 2.0 has used since his return were not used by Bane 1.0 -- but they were used by Xvim.

Now, there are different possible interpretations. One is that Bane 1.0 did indeed return, mostly subsuming his son -- but not entirely. It could be an amalgam of sorts, with bits of Xvim remaining in the mix. It could be a hostile takeover, with the out-of-place things being parts of Xvim that Bane has not been able to overcome (The Sage has noted this as an interpretation of Bane's new holy symbol). It's also possible that Bane 2.0 has entirely subsumed Xvim, but retained some things just to keep Xvim's folks happy.

Now me, I look at this and I think that the Ultimate Tyrant isn't all that if he can't beat his own kid, and that the Ultimate Tyrant does not show strength by catering to others...

So the explanation I favor is that the reason we see so much of Xvim in Bane 2.0 is because Xvim is Bane 2.0. It's not at all uncommon in the Realms for one deity to pick up the name of a fallen deity, and thus grab that other deity's worship -- Shar did it with Ibrandul, and Lolth did it with Moander, for example. Xvim was a newcomer on the deific scene, but if he pretends to be Daddy, he gets Daddy's worshippers and Daddy's prestige -- a huge boon for a lesser power.

Xvim's champion gathered as much of Bane's old power and essence as he could. The followers of Xvim were the only ones who saw Bane's return, with a vision that had Xvim's signature on it. Bane 2.0 has a lot of things in common with Xvim that Bane 1.0 did not, and Xvim stood to gain a lot from pretending to be Bane. Hence, my conclusion: Bane is still dead, and Xvim is pretending to have replaced him.

Also, there's this bit, from a discussion on the Scouring of Shadowdale "supermodule". A designer looked at my theory and did not confirm or deny it. That's not conclusive, obviously, but my theory was not ruled out by a person who would have been in the know, at the time.

quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:

One other thing that struck me as interesting: the Black Beast of Bane. It says that, like his son Xvim, the reborn Bane likes manifestations involving evil critters and carnivores. Looking at Faiths & Avatars, that seems to be more of Xvim thing, and not something that Bane 1.0 did all that much. Maybe I'm reading into it because I want to, but that seems to me to be another indication that there is still a lot of Xvim in Bane 2.0. This, of course, supports my two favorite (and opposing) theories of Bane's return -- the "What the hey, I'm back!" theory, or the "Hey, look at me, I'm really Bane, not Xvim!" theory. But I'm prolly just reading too much into it.

Glad you're having fun speculating. ;-)

--Eric

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2018 :  04:08:11  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheIriaeban

That sounds plausible but what about the power that goes with it? Bane was a greater power. Xvim was not. How does that power get bestowed? Just because I can wear my dad's shoes doesn't mean I can use his credit cards.

Ah, but you can use his credit cards -- just use them online, because no one can see who is entering the data. And that's what Xvim did: he took his dad's credit cards, and knowing no one could prove it wasn't Dad using them, he started using them online.

The power comes from the worship. Getting Bane's old worshippers, *and* his own, meant more power.

quote:

Also, that is pretty tricky for someone that hasn't shown that leaning before. You would think one or more of the other gods would just laugh at him if he tried it (unless another greater god helped him pull it off).

What do you mean he hadn't shown that leaning before? There was an entire novel where Xvim was posing as another deity, specifically to fool others and get power from it.

And other deities wouldn't laugh, because other deities have done the same thing. Even if they did laugh, what of it? It doesn't matter what the gods believe -- only what the mortals believe.

quote:

Now Bane just deciding that junior was a means to an end. Oh, yeah. He may of just have kept that stuff to a. make it harder for junior to come back and b. to grab more worshippers easier because mortals are stupid and he didn't want to confuse them.

So Bane became more like a deity he destroyed to stop that deity from coming back? I'm sorry, but I don't even begin to understand how that one works. Especially since that doesn't show strength -- a tyrant crushes his enemies, he doesn't play games to slow them down.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 02 Oct 2018 04:10:04
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2018 :  13:12:03  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Rupert,

I love the credit card discussion. I had this amazing mental image of Xvim at Macy's getting some snazzy threads before he goes on the hate rampage, haha.

As far as you referencing Tymora's Luck, I completely agree with you. That is one of my favorite novels actually. I totally did not see that coming when all of a sudden Iyacthu Xvim is behind it all. Very cool.

Best regards,

quote:

quote:

Ah, but you can use his credit cards -- just use them online, because no one can see who is entering the data. And that's what Xvim did: he took his dad's credit cards, and knowing no one could prove it wasn't Dad using them, he started using them online.

The power comes from the worship. Getting Bane's old worshippers, *and* his own, meant more power.

quote:

What do you mean he hadn't shown that leaning before? There was an entire novel where Xvim was posing as another deity, specifically to fool others and get power from it.

And other deities wouldn't laugh, because other deities have done the same thing. Even if they did laugh, what of it? It doesn't matter what the gods believe -- only what the mortals believe.

quote:

So Bane became more like a deity he destroyed to stop that deity from coming back? I'm sorry, but I don't even begin to understand how that one works. Especially since that doesn't show strength -- a tyrant crushes his enemies, he doesn't play games to slow them down.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

Misereor
Learned Scribe

164 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2018 :  08:40:39  Show Profile Send Misereor a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Regarding Cpthero2's insurance policy hypothesis:

There is one interesting bit in one of the Storm Silverhand novels. I forget the name because it was many years ago I read it, but it was some type of murder mystery that had a shard of Bane as the culprit.

When Storm tred to examine the shard, she discovered only that it was a fragment of someone that had once been a mortal man, and was so ashamed of his past that the shard committed suicide rather than let Storm find out anything more.

If Cpthero2 is correct, could the change in manifestation to become more like Xvim maybe be a tactic of Bane's to divest himself of any remains of his mortality?

What is dead may never die, but rises again, harder, stronger, in a later edition.
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2018 :  17:12:12  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I stand corrected. I have not read that novel.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2018 :  12:37:31  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, I'm announcing from the outset... going out on a limb here with some of the ideas we've been throwing around the last year or two.

We've been wondering about three tyrannical entities... Bane, Xvim, and Gilgeam.... since the sundering and the last 2 brimstone angels novels. Gilgeam appears to be returned according to the novel, but he calls himself the "Son of Victory" instead of the "Father of Victory". He's also very weak and seemingly at least somewhat dependent on an item for his power. Still he professes to be Gilgeam, and people believe him.

We had been discussing the idea that where Mourktar WAS is all water during 4th edition, and that that area may have transferred to Abeir (the only indication otherwise is a RLB's novel which has them approaching a city CALLED Mourktar... which may be a "new" city established in the last century by survivors of vanished Mourktar within the remaining bounds of Threskel... I say new, because it may be 80 years old). In Mourktar was "the largest temple of Bane", but one which favored the colors of Green and Black, which were Xvim's traditional colors.

So, what if prior to the spellplague, Xvim HAD been trying to take over his father's shoes, then the spellplague happened. Perhaps it was original Bane "left behind"/"returned" to Toril, much as how Amaunator and other gods "returned"... and Xvim went to Abeir. Xvim then begins posing as Gilgeam to a displaced Untheric population. It should also be noted, Xvim is half-demonic, and the army that "Gilgeam"/"Son of Victory" is leading is supported by demons. Leading into this hypothesis is the idea that the novels indicate that Enlil sees something familiar in "Gilgeam", but also something different. If Xvim were to inhabit Gilgeam's former god flesh that might create this strange mix.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 04 Oct 2018 13:17:38
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2018 :  16:33:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know of anything that says your theory wouldn't work... But I think mine has more to support it, and I also think it's more fun.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2018 :  19:44:37  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, and since part of my theories about Abeir over the last century have been about several of the "returning" gods having been sent over there.... I wouldn't be surprised that IF Xvim were posing as Gilgeam to gain worshippers, and if posing as Gilgeam he tried to get the Untheric people to stage an uprising against the primordial Karshimis... maybe another god helped him with the deception (i.e. maybe he secretly had the help of Leira, and a "Mulhorandi" deity who also disappeared... aka Mask).

To this, I very much picture the displaced deities as being VERY active all over the place while on Abeir.... a role which they're shying away from now that they're returned to Toril. I also picture that some of the displaced deities did actually get killed while on Abeir as well, or even "absorbed/gave themselves over to" other deities (for instance, I could see Finder dying since he's not listed as a currently active deity).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2018 :  20:01:38  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Learned Scribe Misereor,

That is a fantastic acknowledgement of something really awesome! I never even had that in my mind. Is there any way you could dig more of that up and come back with a more robust analysis of that? I would really like to get your additional take on that!!!

Thank you and best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Misereor

Regarding Cpthero2's insurance policy hypothesis:

There is one interesting bit in one of the Storm Silverhand novels. I forget the name because it was many years ago I read it, but it was some type of murder mystery that had a shard of Bane as the culprit.

When Storm tred to examine the shard, she discovered only that it was a fragment of someone that had once been a mortal man, and was so ashamed of his past that the shard committed suicide rather than let Storm find out anything more.

If Cpthero2 is correct, could the change in manifestation to become more like Xvim maybe be a tactic of Bane's to divest himself of any remains of his mortality?

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2018 :  20:05:31  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Great Reader sleyvas,

DAMN! That is one hot, awesome-sauce, mega theory, and I for one love it! I didn't even think to connect Xvim going to Abeir! That is so deep, I have to ask Great Reader: were digging into the hallucinogenics last night, having a Xvimite divination ritual? You, Alaundo, and El Nar'ysr in a poker room sometime would be a fun as hell event to listen in on!

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Ok, I'm announcing from the outset... going out on a limb here with some of the ideas we've been throwing around the last year or two.

We've been wondering about three tyrannical entities... Bane, Xvim, and Gilgeam.... since the sundering and the last 2 brimstone angels novels. Gilgeam appears to be returned according to the novel, but he calls himself the "Son of Victory" instead of the "Father of Victory". He's also very weak and seemingly at least somewhat dependent on an item for his power. Still he professes to be Gilgeam, and people believe him.

We had been discussing the idea that where Mourktar WAS is all water during 4th edition, and that that area may have transferred to Abeir (the only indication otherwise is a RLB's novel which has them approaching a city CALLED Mourktar... which may be a "new" city established in the last century by survivors of vanished Mourktar within the remaining bounds of Threskel... I say new, because it may be 80 years old). In Mourktar was "the largest temple of Bane", but one which favored the colors of Green and Black, which were Xvim's traditional colors.

So, what if prior to the spellplague, Xvim HAD been trying to take over his father's shoes, then the spellplague happened. Perhaps it was original Bane "left behind"/"returned" to Toril, much as how Amaunator and other gods "returned"... and Xvim went to Abeir. Xvim then begins posing as Gilgeam to a displaced Untheric population. It should also be noted, Xvim is half-demonic, and the army that "Gilgeam"/"Son of Victory" is leading is supported by demons. Leading into this hypothesis is the idea that the novels indicate that Enlil sees something familiar in "Gilgeam", but also something different. If Xvim were to inhabit Gilgeam's former god flesh that might create this strange mix.

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2018 :  20:13:01  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Master Rupert,

I couldn't agree more! I loved Iyachtu Xvim as a deity. What a powerhouse. He really showed how amazingly shrewd such a profoundly evil god could be and bring tyranny, fear, and hatred a menacing and terrifying name of power to truly be contended with!

Best regards,

quote:

quote:

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2018 :  20:14:08  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Learned Scribe Phantom_Lord,

Sadly, he didn't have all that much information done up on him. Yet one more amazing deity that had a significant lack of exploration done to develop a true powerhouse!

Best regards,

quote:

Phantom_Lord

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2018 :  20:15:56  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Learned Scribe Neil,

Well, I will have to respectfully disagree with you regarding the implication of Xvim not having brains. In Tymora's Luck, he was devastatingly intelligent. It was shocking how epic he was in that novel.

Best regards,

quote:
Originally posted by Neil

quote:

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000