Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Welcome to Candlekeep
 Well Met, and Welcome to the Forums
 The Hamster and the Hurricane...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2004 :  18:10:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wood Elf Ranger

*sniffs* What's that? *sniffs again* wet hamster Wooly must be back!

quote:

Glad your safe my friend. Stay out of Ivans way

Oh, avoiding Ivan is going to be easy. I'm nowhere near it's projected course. I'd have to drive for several hours to be able to even catch a piece of that one -- I'm in the middle of the state, on the east coast. Ivan is headed for the Gulf Coast, around Biloxi, New Orleans, Mobile... The panhandle will likely catch a good chunk of it, but I've not even been to that area for a few years.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2004 :  18:35:48  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, no. The hampster's safe. Me, I'm right in the middle of Ivan.

"Hurling himself upon his enemies, he terrified them with slaughter!"

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Candlekeep proverb: If a thing is said often enough, fools aplenty will believe it to be true.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2004 :  08:55:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And I'm resurrecting this thread. Why? Because Jeanne is currently scheduled to be hitting near us in a couple days. So I get to deal with yet another hurricane!

I'm just hoping that I don't spend another week without power... That drew much vacuum, the first time.

Also, I had mentioned previously that Ivan wasn't going to affect us... Well, the other night, it rained like a banshee all night long -- and it was a chunk of Ivan that was dumping it on us. Nothing major, but it was still kinda odd, especially considering that Ivan came back to life in the Gulf and headed for Texas.

Go to Top of Page

Lysander
Learned Scribe

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2004 :  22:46:28  Show Profile  Visit Lysander's Homepage Send Lysander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

And I'm resurrecting this thread. Why? Because Jeanne is currently scheduled to be hitting near us in a couple days. So I get to deal with yet another hurricane!

I'm just hoping that I don't spend another week without power... That drew much vacuum, the first time.

Also, I had mentioned previously that Ivan wasn't going to affect us... Well, the other night, it rained like a banshee all night long -- and it was a chunk of Ivan that was dumping it on us. Nothing major, but it was still kinda odd, especially considering that Ivan came back to life in the Gulf and headed for Texas.

Be careful, and stay safe!

Lysander

Defender of the Second Edition
Moderator, Project Gemengan, Worlds of D&D
Go to Top of Page

Reefy
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
892 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2004 :  23:05:17  Show Profile  Visit Reefy's Homepage Send Reefy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's pretty harsh, I hope you have better luck with the power this time, Wooly. Stay safe.

Life is either daring adventure or nothing.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Sep 2004 :  23:44:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Reefy

That's pretty harsh, I hope you have better luck with the power this time, Wooly. Stay safe.

Thanks!

I think it's almost a given that I'll lose power... I just hope it's not for a week, like it was last time.

Go to Top of Page

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2004 :  04:32:46  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If it does keep coming at you, which it looks to be, get to somewhere safe. Ivan ended up a Cat 3, which Jeanne will likely end up being, and when it hits it will be, well, a disaster. I hope you don't have to cross those bridges in your area on a regular basis because they will be hit hard in a storm at Cat 3 making the commute heck. Good luck, and this time go south!

Candlekeep proverb: If a thing is said often enough, fools aplenty will believe it to be true.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2004 :  06:10:07  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hammer of Moradin

If it does keep coming at you, which it looks to be, get to somewhere safe. Ivan ended up a Cat 3, which Jeanne will likely end up being, and when it hits it will be, well, a disaster. I hope you don't have to cross those bridges in your area on a regular basis because they will be hit hard in a storm at Cat 3 making the commute heck. Good luck, and this time go south!

Nah, the last I heard, they were expecting it to be a strong Cat 2, or maybe a weak Cat 3. And this one is moving faster than Frances did, so we won't have the wind blowing nearly as long. So this one could get a bit rough, but it shouldn't be too bad.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2004 :  17:04:24  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
Nah, the last I heard, they were expecting it to be a strong Cat 2, or maybe a weak Cat 3. And this one is moving faster than Frances did, so we won't have the wind blowing nearly as long. So this one could get a bit rough, but it shouldn't be too bad.

Still, be careful. If anything happened, I'd miss you...kinda....maybe
Go to Top of Page

Wood Elf Ranger
Senior Scribe

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2004 :  19:27:44  Show Profile  Visit Wood Elf Ranger's Homepage Send Wood Elf Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sigh and I just got the wet hamster smell off my clothes Do try to stay dry this time

~Lee N.

"Breaktime yes?!.. Yes?.. Maybe?.. Noo, baaack to work.." -Grovel the Goblin from NWN: HotU
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Sep 2004 :  20:59:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sigh and I just got the wet hamster smell off my clothes Do try to stay dry this time

I'll try... We're already catching the outer rainbands. Not much rain yet, but the wind here has gusted to 45 mph.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2004 :  04:03:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I guess I lied. I didn't attempt to stay dry. Seriously, how often does one get the opportunity to stand in 85 mph winds and see what it's like?

Though to be quite honest, I hope I never again have the chance to do that. Four hurricanes in 6 weeks is a bit overmuch. Sweating one hurricane a year is bad enough -- I never want to experience another.

Right now, I have half-power. This is better than last time, when I had no power for a week. At least now I can get somewhat comfortable, and I have some options other than just reading.

This half-power came on after about 16 hours, so nothing in my fridge kacked. Hopefully, I won't be waiting another week for full power.

My phone keeps dropping in and out. Since I have dial-up, this is most annoying. This happened last time, too, but should straighten out in a day or two, as it did last time.

My only real concern is that the water pressure is non-existant. This means that I don't even have the option of a cold shower, like I did last time. I think that may have been the apartment people that did that, though, and not a direct result of the storm.

It's weird standing on my balcony and looking out to see naught but darkness. There are stores near me, and a seriously busy intersection, and it's all dark. 'Tis almost eerie.

There's more damage to this area, too. We'd not yet fixed all the damage from the last hurricane, so I suppose it could have been worse. But all of the new traffic lights that were put up in the last couple of weeks are back down on the ground now.

In short, the hamster is not as comfortable as he should like, but he is back in action.

BTW, if you wish to read about the local damage, here's a link:
http://www.floridatoday.com/!NEWSROOM/hurricane/stories/092604jeannemain.htm

Some pics can be seen here:
http://www.floridatoday.com/!NEWSROOM/hurricane/jeannegallery.htm

Go to Top of Page

Lysander
Learned Scribe

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2004 :  04:37:46  Show Profile  Visit Lysander's Homepage Send Lysander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Glad you're back, Wooly! Been one h*ll of a season, eh? I grew up on the Gulf Coast, and we had nothing like this!

Lysander

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2004 :  05:04:59  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Glad to hear you made it through WR. Take care of yourself and hang in there.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2004 :  08:16:51  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, y'all.

Lysander, I've lived down here for about 17 years. In the years previous to this one, we got hit by about 2 or 3 minor little hurricanes. We also had a couple of near-misses (the most notable being Floyd).

In fact, the Space Center is located near here for the simple fact this area almost never gets hit by hurricanes.

So these past 6 weeks have not only been way stressful, they've been unlike any we've seen before!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 27 Sep 2004 08:17:28
Go to Top of Page

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2004 :  16:09:19  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Glad to see you made it through another one Wooly. Water pressure probably means the water company lost power. Once they are juiced up they will get the pressure back up. Same thing happened to me.
So which is worse, wet hamster, or hamster with no bath?

Go to Top of Page

Lysander
Learned Scribe

USA
183 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2004 :  17:31:46  Show Profile  Visit Lysander's Homepage Send Lysander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Glad to see you made it through another one Wooly. Water pressure probably means the water company lost power. Once they are juiced up they will get the pressure back up. Same thing happened to me.

Do we really want to consider such things?

Since about '80 to '92, I lived in Tampa then Sarasota; hard to believe that it's 12 years out. thankfully, no head-on hurricane strikes in Saraosta - if it's coming that way, it always seems to turn at the last minute.

Lysander

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2004 :  17:52:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lysander

quote:

Do we really want to consider such things?

Since about '80 to '92, I lived in Tampa then Sarasota; hard to believe that it's 12 years out. thankfully, no head-on hurricane strikes in Saraosta - if it's coming that way, it always seems to turn at the last minute.

Usually, that's what happens here. I've seen several hurricanes aimed right at us that wound up deflecting northward. These last two have been weird, though...

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2005 :  01:00:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
...And this thread is resurrected once more!

Sometime upon the morrow, we'll be in the middle of Hurricane Wilma. I'm not really worried about it -- it's only supposed to be a Cat 1 when it gets here. I only have two real concerns: that if we lose power, it's not for long, and that I don't have to work tomorrow. I'll find out about the latter in about an hour.

Most of the county is going to be closed tomorrow, including schools and NASA. I'm fairly certain we won't be working, at least not all day. As an IT guy, though, I may have to go in for an hour or two to reassemble computers we moved away from the windows.

Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2005 :  01:38:30  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Take care Wooly, I'll say a prayer for you . . .
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2005 :  01:40:56  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Watch yourself my Furry Hamster!

We all want you to come back safe and sound...

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

katherinna
Acolyte

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2005 :  01:42:54  Show Profile  Visit katherinna's Homepage Send katherinna a Private Message  Reply with Quote
take care I wish there was no such thing as Herracanes and earthquakes.

katherinne in rp 18 real 30
Go to Top of Page

Thysl
Seeker

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2005 :  06:14:51  Show Profile  Visit Thysl's Homepage Send Thysl a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wooly,
OK man, move over here to the beautiful Western Slope of Colorado! The only natural disasters here are over-randy elk - which are awful, yes - but very few. No more scary house-flying-through-the-air weather for you!
Seriously, take care, good luck, and may the force be with you!
Thysl

There are as many nights as days, and the one is just as long as the other in the year's course. Even a happy life cannot be without a measure of darkness, and the word 'happy' would lose its meaning if it were not balanced by sadness.
--Carl Jung
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2005 :  08:44:24  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

I did indeed wonder if ye would be affected by this, Wooly, when I first heard. Good news that it has now been downgraded, let's hope that the destruction is very minimal. Take care, furry one, and see thee back here soon.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2005 :  15:16:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We had a lot of thunder last night, but that was it. Right now there's a lot of wind and rain, but nothing dramatic. I've seen worse from summer storms.

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2005 :  15:50:12  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good to hear Oh Wooly One, this place needs its Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2005 :  20:30:39  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Glad this is not going to be so dangerous as the last ones that wiped out the country, it seems to be a chain of weather strikes lately all around the land...

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2005 :  20:58:49  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My parents lost part of the roof off of their garage, and said that a couple of times, their power went out long enough to have to reset all electronic devices. For me, the power merely flickered a couple of times. Once there was a surge or something that tripped the breaker on my UPS, but that's it for me and losing power.

A couple hours ago, I wandered outside. It had stopped raining, mostly, but was still very windy. There's a lot of minor flooding in my immediate vicinity. The water in places was almost to my knees -- but that was all in parking lots and by the road, so I don't think anyone's homes got wet, at least in this area.

The water is deep enough that I don't want to take a chance on leaving my apartment complex, at least not by car.

As for wind, I saw some signs of wind damage. I live by a Wendy's; their sign was blown down. In fact, a chunk of the sign came off as I was walking past. I came back by later, and decided to pick up that piece of sign. I almost got to it, but then a gust of wind picked it up and flung it across the street.

Also, I saw a payphone that got blown over.

It's cooler out right now, too -- about 60 degrees. It's supposed to get chilly tonight; this cold front is part of what steered Wilma.

Oh, and if you're wading in water, flip-flops are not the most appropriate foot attire. They made it harder to walk, and I was repeatedly losing them. At one point, I'd get one flop stuck in the mud, free it, and get the other stuck. That happened three times in one spot, and then I fell over in the water!

So, the worst is over. And it could have been a lot worse -- like last year was.

Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2005 :  22:59:26  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Glad to hear you made it through the worst relatively unscathed!

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2006 :  12:36:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And I resurrect this thread yet again! This time tomorrow morning, we'll have Tropical Storm Ernesto parked overhead... It's no big deal. I'm just hoping it works out to be a day off!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000