Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Welcome to Candlekeep
 Well Met, and Welcome to the Forums
 The Hamster and the Hurricane...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2004 :  00:18:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
As many of you know, there's a rather large hurricane bearing down on Florida's East Coast right now...

What many of you may not know, is that I live on the East Coast -- the Space Coast area, to be exact.

Frances keeps wobbling. The weather-guessers still aren't sure where it's gonna hit. The best scenario I've seen thus far is that it hits south of here, and we get winds of *only* 105 mph. Worst case, it comes right at us, and we get 145 mph winds.

Many people are getting out of dodge. Very early mañana morn, I shall be joining the exodus. I'm headed to Orlando with some friends.

I have no idea what I'll be coming home to, after this is past. Maybe, hopefully, (I pray for this!) everything will be as I left it. Maybe I'll only have that small amount of stuff I can fit in my car...

Either way, I'm gonna prolly be offline for a few days, unless I use someone else machine while I'm in Orlando. If my apartment is still here after this weekend, we could still be without power for days. So we shall see how it goes.

Either way, wish me and the rest of Brevard County luck.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

The Cardinal
Senior Scribe

Canada
647 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2004 :  00:40:21  Show Profile  Visit The Cardinal's Homepage Send The Cardinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good Luck, our furry friend and his fellows
Indeed, we hope for thy speedy retreat and return from the whirling Maelstrom. Take care and be safe

It has to be Certain, the Gods Hate Me. For whatever irrevokable Fate, I have been made the walking Joke. Either that, or Beshaba is overlyfond Of Me.
-Unknown
Go to Top of Page

Karesch
Learned Scribe

Canada
199 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2004 :  00:45:07  Show Profile  Visit Karesch's Homepage Send Karesch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll second the fond farewells and I bid thee safety in thy travels. Take care, and I hope things don't get too bad down there.

K

Knowledge is power... power corrupts... knowledge corrupts? hmm...

Death is only frightening to those who haven't died yet...
Go to Top of Page

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2004 :  03:23:11  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hope it goes north of you Wooly. Being in Pensacola, in the panhandle of Florida, we get our share of hurricanes. If it goes south of you, as I'm sure you know, you will get most of the winds and tide since it will wrap around in your direction. Orlando's not too bad, but my sisters got hit hard last month down there. The oldest had an oak tree decoration land across her roof. We may still get some of Francis here after she's done down your way. Good luck and stay safe. Bring plenty of Realms materials to read because there won't be much else to do without power except read(Although some co-workers of mine had a 3 day party during a hurricane about 5 years ago and they were too plastered to do anything!).

"Hurling himself upon his enemies, he terrified them with slaughter!"

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Candlekeep proverb: If a thing is said often enough, fools aplenty will believe it to be true.

Edited by - hammer of Moradin on 03 Sep 2004 03:25:24
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2004 :  06:10:42  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

As many of you know, there's a rather large hurricane bearing down on Florida's East Coast right now...

What many of you may not know, is that I live on the East Coast -- the Space Coast area, to be exact.

How did you end up there? I thought you were in Australia.

quote:

Frances keeps wobbling. The weather-guessers still aren't sure where it's gonna hit. The best scenario I've seen thus far is that it hits south of here, and we get winds of *only* 105 mph. Worst case, it comes right at us, and we get 145 mph winds.

Let me put it as I heard an ESL instructor (Me) tell a bunch of students once when a hurricane was headed towards us.

GET THE HELL OUT!

Of course I had trouble trying to explain that in polite terminology to my students. But, with you I can be blunt. Please take care of yourself. But, most importantly....GET THE HELL OUT!

quote:

Many people are getting out of dodge. Very early mañana morn, I shall be joining the exodus. I'm headed to Orlando with some friends.

Excellent.

quote:

Either way, I'm gonna prolly be offline for a few days, unless I use someone else machine while I'm in Orlando. If my apartment is still here after this weekend, we could still be without power for days. So we shall see how it goes.

Either way, wish me and the rest of Brevard County luck.

God bless and stay safe WR. I have a loved one with family in the panhandle region. I was just looking at the hurricane's course with a family member. I don't like how it looks. It appears to be one of those that may hit the state once and turn to hit it again in a different area.

I am so grateful I no longer live in a hurricane region after spending more than a few years in such a location. Now all I have to be worried about is the fact I'm right near the end of tornado alley.

Take care to everyone in Florida and thereabouts.

SB
Go to Top of Page

Capn Charlie
Senior Scribe

USA
418 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2004 :  06:57:26  Show Profile  Visit Capn Charlie's Homepage Send Capn Charlie a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, stared doown several natural disasters that have sent people fleeing before, so I know the feeling. I ma jsut glad that all I have t oworry about are tornadoes: jsut pop down into the hidey hole, and you're safe. No fears of being drowned or buried alive.

I wil lsuggest that any of your books, or other improtant papers and notebooks you leave should be double bagged i ntrashbags and placed in closets(preferably on something, liek egg crates) before yo uhead out though. It'd be a damned shame to lose the collection yo uhave described before to a broken window and wind blown rain. Consider doing likewise with any important electronics, and especially your computer.

Good luck, and if you happen to have anything valuable that umberlee might enjoy, consider trying to pay her off.

Shadows of War: Tales of a Mercenary

My first stab at realms fiction, here at candlekeep. Stop on by and tell me what you think.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2004 :  08:58:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks to everyone for their good wishes. I'll be heading out the door in an hour. I managed to take all of my gaming stuff, with the exception of the White Wolf stuff (no room). My computer is going with me, too, as well as all my CDs and DVDs.

Here's hoping things will be back to normal in a few days...

Go to Top of Page

Talwyn
Learned Scribe

Australia
222 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2004 :  09:02:17  Show Profile  Visit Talwyn's Homepage Send Talwyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Keep your head down Wooly, good luck in avoiding the tempest that's coming in. Hope your home is spared from devastation too, I been through a few cyclones here in Western Australia so i know what you're facing.
Godspeed!

Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on.
Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun.
EAT LEADEN DEATH DEMON!
Terry Pratchett

Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2004 :  09:49:14  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm... let me see... ah! there. Through my PC to your PC, I cast: Wall of Dispel Magic around your house; Contigency + Wall of Force around your room (delaying condition being you coming out of your abode for good, locking the door); and finally, the great Phaerimm Lifedrain WITHIN your bedroom, again with the same delaying factor as the Wall of Force, in order to prevent any water to be sucked out should the roof be torn-off (because it would then fill your room like a big square jacuzzi due to the Walls of Force preventing any water OUT... )

Edit: please remove any pets, plants or liquid-crystal display electronic screens from your room before you leave... last time I had to do this over here, I came back with an empty aquarium full of dried goldfishies and a bunch of caved-in calculators... I won't go into what happened to the various objects running on batteries around the house... [sigh]

Edited by - Purple Dragon Knight on 03 Sep 2004 09:53:27
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2004 :  10:30:10  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

A worrying situation indeed, Wooly Rupert. I hope that all turns out well and no damage is caused or Realmslore and such is lost.

Good luck, and we hope to see thee back in the halls soon

Best wishes from all here at Candlekeep.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Wood Elf Ranger
Senior Scribe

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2004 :  11:36:14  Show Profile  Visit Wood Elf Ranger's Homepage Send Wood Elf Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Get out your roll-ball and get out of there my hamster friend!

I'll be praying for you and everyone else in the surrounding areas. At least we have these early warning systems now and you have time to get out just in case. Hopefully everything will be as you left it. Don't worry we will still be here upon your eventual return

~Lee N.

"Breaktime yes?!.. Yes?.. Maybe?.. Noo, baaack to work.." -Grovel the Goblin from NWN: HotU
Go to Top of Page

Valdar Oakensong
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
159 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2004 :  14:13:09  Show Profile Send Valdar Oakensong a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hope you find everything where you left it, weather forecasters are now predicting only 120 mph winds

Guns don't kill people, magic missiles do.
Go to Top of Page

Lady
Acolyte

USA
0 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2004 :  14:58:05  Show Profile  Visit Lady's Homepage Send Lady a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It'll be okay.. Come down to the Keys and come see me with everyone else *laughs* we can go play nah j/k :P but good luck!
*hugz*
Go to Top of Page

Thelonius
Senior Scribe

Spain
730 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2004 :  15:12:39  Show Profile Send Thelonius a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Take care our fellow, and be sure to take your hamster food with you!!! Now seriously, be careful Wooly.

See you soon.

"If you are to truly understand, then you will need the contrast, not adherence to a single ideal." - Kreia
"I THINK I JUST HAD ANOTHER NEAR-RINCEWIND EXPERIENCE"- Discworld's Death frustrated after Rincewind scapes his grasp... again.
"I am death, come for thee" - Nimbul, from Baldur's Gate I just before being badly spanked
Sapientia sola libertas est

Edited by - Thelonius on 03 Sep 2004 17:49:26
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2004 :  15:57:43  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks to everyone for their good wishes. I'll be heading out the door in an hour. I managed to take all of my gaming stuff, with the exception of the White Wolf stuff (no room). My computer is going with me, too, as well as all my CDs and DVDs.

Here's hoping things will be back to normal in a few days...

You know you are facing a serious hurricane when you are happy to hear that it's now only a Cat III.

Be safe WR.
Go to Top of Page

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2004 :  18:28:48  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, as of 12 Sunday it looks like you moved out of the path of the storm, into the path of the storm. For anyone who isn't able to keep up with our lovely Florida weather, Hurricane Francis is moving very slow, dumping a ton of rain over South Florida, and moving toward Orlando right now, where Wooley, and my sisters, are. It's expected to miss me in the panhandle with current projections, but that will change. It always does.
Let us know how you are, Wooley, at your first opportunity. And if you get the opportunity, go visit some of the FLGS's in Orlando (Sci-fi's good).

Candlekeep proverb: If a thing is said often enough, fools aplenty will believe it to be true.
Go to Top of Page

MuadDib
Senior Scribe

South Africa
442 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2004 :  10:00:54  Show Profile  Visit MuadDib's Homepage Send MuadDib a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
And if you get the opportunity, go visit some of the FLGS's in Orlando
Just stay away from Hammer's sisters

I hope and pray that all will be well with you and the many people in that area. I had no idea these things could be so destructive and change so many lives. Please come back to us safe!

MuadDib - Candlekeep Inn Barhand
Go to Top of Page

Lina
Senior Scribe

Australia
469 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2004 :  10:52:20  Show Profile  Visit Lina's Homepage Send Lina a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Stay dry and safe. Come back to us in one piece.

“Darkness beyond twilight, crimson beyond blood that flows! Buried in the flow of time. In thy great name. I pledge myself to darkness. All the fools who stand in our way shall be destroyed…by the power you and I possess! DRAGON SLAVE!!!â€

"Thieves? Ah, such an ugly word... look upon them as the most honest sort of merchant."
-Oglar the Thieflord

Edited by - Lina on 07 Sep 2004 10:41:45
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2004 :  12:57:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good luck to you and all Floridians.
Go to Top of Page

Grunkh
Acolyte

0 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2004 :  16:03:24  Show Profile  Visit Grunkh's Homepage Send Grunkh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are you guys going to get hit by Ivan too now?!
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2004 :  16:56:09  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Grunkh

If hurricane projections hold, then it is very likely that Ivan will hit Florida. I think it's too early to be certain, especially given hurricanes fickle nature when it comes to their paths.
Go to Top of Page

Wood Elf Ranger
Senior Scribe

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2004 :  23:29:27  Show Profile  Visit Wood Elf Ranger's Homepage Send Wood Elf Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Grunkh

Yup Ivan Bouldershoulder; the surly axe wielding, shield bashing, horned helmet charging, enemy thrashing, dwarf is on the rampage again

Well at least thats what I see in my head when I hear Ivan is going to hit and everyone is running away...

~Lee N.

"Breaktime yes?!.. Yes?.. Maybe?.. Noo, baaack to work.." -Grovel the Goblin from NWN: HotU
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2004 :  23:16:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hammer of Moradin

Let us know how you are, Wooley, at your first opportunity. And if you get the opportunity, go visit some of the FLGS's in Orlando (Sci-fi's good).

Sci-Fi City is indeed a good store (and the new place is so much nicer than Enterprise 1701, the previous incarnation, ever thought of being), but with concerns about work and all, spending money was something I was trying to avoid!

quote:
Originally posted by Arivia

Good luck to you and all Floridians.

Just because I live here does not make me a Floridian.

Seriously, thanks to all for the luck and well wishes. There was no damage to my apartment or to my place of work. However, there was damage to my apartment complex, and a lot of other wind damage all around the county (they've still not replaced all the traffic lights that came down, and as of 8 this morn, there were still 300,000 people without power). My power just came on about an hour ago...

I've missed being able to get online, and the last few days have been very uncomfortable -- cold showers, high humidity, no options for entertainment other than reading...

One high note, though: because of the hurricane and then the lack of power, I missed a full 8 days of work. One was a paid holiday, and they generously decided to go ahead and pay us for the other 7 days!

Anyway, I am now back online, ready to terrorize everyone -- er, share in all the wonderful Realmslore!

Go to Top of Page

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2004 :  01:58:03  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome back Wooly. Looks like I'm in Ivan's path here in P'cola. We'll have to see if it veers a little more east.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2004 :  02:09:31  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Seriously, thanks to all for the luck and well wishes. There was no damage to my apartment or to my place of work...

One high note, though: because of the hurricane and then the lack of power, I missed a full 8 days of work. One was a paid holiday, and they generously decided to go ahead and pay us for the other 7 days!

Glad to hear you made it through safely and with no damage to your home/work area. Also nice to see an employer acting in such a classy fashion.

Welcome back. Keep an eye on the Russian as it can't make up its mind which way it wants to go.

SB
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2004 :  02:13:02  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hammer of Moradin

Welcome back Wooly. Looks like I'm in Ivan's path here in P'cola. We'll have to see if it veers a little more east.

Yeah, I hope Ivan either veers or powers down, some. Despite all the damage we did get, we were seriously lucky that Frances wasn't more powerful when it finally wandered in -- I was really sweating when it got stationary over the Gulf Stream for several hours.

Go to Top of Page

MuadDib
Senior Scribe

South Africa
442 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2004 :  13:39:49  Show Profile  Visit MuadDib's Homepage Send MuadDib a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome back Wooly, seeing you alive and well, brings warm feeling to my heart. What Yoda said.

Good to have you back

MuadDib - Candlekeep Inn Barhand
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2004 :  15:52:59  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I've missed being able to get online, and the last few days have been very uncomfortable -- cold showers, high humidity, no options for entertainment other than reading...

Well met

Welcome back, Wooly Rupert. Glad to hear that all is well

Although, I fail to understand why ye needed any other entertainment when ye had many tomes of Realmslore to hand

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2004 :  18:23:30  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

quote:

Well met

Welcome back, Wooly Rupert. Glad to hear that all is well

Although, I fail to understand why ye needed any other entertainment when ye had many tomes of Realmslore to hand

Actually, I did read some Realms stuff... But after doing nothing but reading all day for 6 days straight, I was getting tired of it -- I enjoy reading, but I like other stuff, too. Being a fast reader, I was reading like 600 or 700 pages a day.

Besides, if my computer had been usable, I coulda worked on a couple of my own projects -- which includes some non-canon Realmslore I plan on posting some time in the future.

Go to Top of Page

Lina
Senior Scribe

Australia
469 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2004 :  14:33:28  Show Profile  Visit Lina's Homepage Send Lina a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Nice to see you back safe and sound. :)

“Darkness beyond twilight, crimson beyond blood that flows! Buried in the flow of time. In thy great name. I pledge myself to darkness. All the fools who stand in our way shall be destroyed…by the power you and I possess! DRAGON SLAVE!!!â€

"Thieves? Ah, such an ugly word... look upon them as the most honest sort of merchant."
-Oglar the Thieflord
Go to Top of Page

Wood Elf Ranger
Senior Scribe

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2004 :  17:24:33  Show Profile  Visit Wood Elf Ranger's Homepage Send Wood Elf Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
*sniffs* What's that? *sniffs again* wet hamster Wooly must be back!

Glad your safe my friend. Stay out of Ivans way

~Lee N.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000