Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Need Ideas
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2004 :  00:49:36  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Okay, what follows is a stripped-down version scenario I'm running. I foolishly forgot to account for an option the PCs hit me with (bad DM BAD DM!!!), and need some help....anyone willing to read my long-winded explanation and give some advice gains 10,000 xp.

okay...we have:

Halfling Drd/Ftr
Shield Dwarf Ftr
Shield Dwarf Ftr/Clr
Half Drow Rgr
Wood Elf Rgr/Brd
Wood Elf Wiz

(Party Lvl=4)

The party begins in a small town west of the Moonwood (of my own invention), and is commissioned by the leading merchant of the town (a female half-elf sorceress) to rescue twenty members of the town from the depths of the Moonwood, kidnapped by orcs at spear-point in the night, along with the sorceress' husband.

The sorceress says that her own hired mercenaries tracked the orcs to a small fort in the eastern side of the Moonwood. Worse, the fort is somehow preventing teleportation magics and is radiating some sort of strange aura that sends magic in general into unpredictable results.

At this point, the PCs realize that the fact that orcs, creatures that normally do not thrive in the Lycanthrope-infested Moonwood, are an oddity to say the least. Penetrating the forest, they come across the signs of a battle between several were-creatures, and come to the conclusion that the lycs. are at war and thus, unable to do anything about the orcs.

Upon reaching the fort, the PCs explore it and discover (among other things) a series of barracks and one very in-control mind flayer running things.

Now, I had planned for the PCs to attack or otherwise engage the flayer, who would then activate a portal and escape (of course, unless the PCs were to kill him first) while the PCs battle orc after orc...much fun. Then, the PCs would find the illithid's records, detailing the plan to continue snatching up slaves for the great battle that the Jaezred Chaulssin are planning on waging on the Spider-kissers - slaves with minds wiped by the mind-flayers and then filled with magical knowledge useful in the war....

This is where the PCs threw me for a loop.

The PCs were then to follow the flayer (through a blood triggered portal device I am very proud of ) to his hiding place, a cave in the Underdark where await a handful of minotaurs and drow (level-appropriate of course) for the final battle. At this point I planned to reveal that the reason for the strange magical aura was a perversion caused by the Fae'zress emanating from the place from over-use of the portal.

Denoument: Slaves are freed, returned to the village, whereupon the sorceress and her husband reveal that they are not half-elves, but magically disguised drow. Their plan was to use the PCs to remove the illithid, their only competitor in the slave-trade with the Jaezred Chaulssin.

What happened: after their discovery of the flayer ("main villain"), the PCs ran off. Out the door. Left. Scared out of their wits.

I don't know if the flayer just intimidated them or what. The orcs moved out of the main chamber in order to find out what the ruckus was the PCs created...and the PCs took off. This would be fine. I'm flexible enough to realize that the PCs can run off and join the lycanthrope war or run off and kill barbarians or whatever.

The problem however, is that that the PCs are planning on sneaking back into the compound. Now that the illithid knows about them, however, I see no reason why the illithid would remain. I think that he would activate the portal, return to the Underdark with lots of slaves and snub the PCs entirely.

So...what do I do? While I know I am sort of bound by DM law to just let that happen and let the PCs deal with failure, I wonder if someone could give me a reason to force the illithid to remain....

I was thinking of using the half-drow PC in some way...perhaps someone in Menzo wants her dead for some reason and forces the flayer to remain...but that's weak to say the least...

HELP!!!!!

Again, triple thanks to anyone who has any ideas....

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm

Edited by - Arion Elenim on 12 Aug 2004 01:01:07

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2004 :  08:48:12  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very nice scenario Arion I like it!!

I dont see the problem in letting the illithid remain. He is powerful afterall and wouldnt really see the PC's as a threat and seeing them flee in fear would naturally assume they stumbled upon something they shouldnt have, ran, and will never return.

Im interested to see how this one pans out, please post back here as the adventure unfolds.

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"

Edited by - Lord Rad on 12 Aug 2004 19:09:50
Go to Top of Page

Wood Elf Ranger
Senior Scribe

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2004 :  15:04:23  Show Profile  Visit Wood Elf Ranger's Homepage Send Wood Elf Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with Rad the Mind Flayer may set up more defenses as a precaution since they got through everything to get to him before but if anything he should want to trap them and make them slaves as well with the rest of the townspeople! Hope that helps I too am interested in seeing how your campaign unfolds it seems very interesting and very well thought out

~Lee N.

"Breaktime yes?!.. Yes?.. Maybe?.. Noo, baaack to work.." -Grovel the Goblin from NWN: HotU
Go to Top of Page

MuadDib
Senior Scribe

South Africa
442 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2004 :  15:41:39  Show Profile  Visit MuadDib's Homepage Send MuadDib a Private Message  Reply with Quote
What about having it so that the Illithid wants to capture the PCs for slaves or to absorb their memories or some reason? That would give him a reason to remain behind...

MuadDib - Candlekeep Inn Barhand
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2004 :  19:11:52  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wow, can't believe I didn't think about the flayer attempting to making slaves out of the PCs.

You guys are geniuses.

Still, I'd love to hear some other ideas, too. Keep 'em comin' and I'll post how it all turns out...

Much love Rad, Ranger and Muad. The three of you can split 10,000 xp amongst yourselves...

My latest Realms-based short story, about a bard, a paladin of Lathander and the letter of the law, Debts Repaid. It takes place before the "shattering" and gives the bard Arion a last gasp before he plunges into the present.http://candlekeep.com/campaign/logs/log-debts.htm
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2004 :  20:21:23  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
...or maybe I should just follow Rad's idea...an illithid with ties to the mighty Chaulssin would not be easily frightened. Perhaps he just assumes that if the orcs don't kill the PCs, the lycanthropes will...

Whatchathink?

Go to Top of Page

Sourcemaster2
Senior Scribe

USA
361 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2004 :  21:36:50  Show Profile  Visit Sourcemaster2's Homepage Send Sourcemaster2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That sounds good. PCs tend to be worth capturing. You could also try the old "one of you items is more than it appears to be" theme, especially if one of the characters has a mysterious possession. Perhaps it has hidden psionic, religious, or magical properties valuable to the illithid.

But what have all the passing years/Done, but breed new angers, fears?/Show me now an equal worth/To innocence I earned at birth.
Go to Top of Page

Wood Elf Ranger
Senior Scribe

USA
627 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2004 :  21:59:04  Show Profile  Visit Wood Elf Ranger's Homepage Send Wood Elf Ranger a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Or you could have the mind flayer send the rest of his orcs after the PC's to try to capture them since I'm sure he doesn't want word of his being near town to get spread around...

~Lee N.

"Breaktime yes?!.. Yes?.. Maybe?.. Noo, baaack to work.." -Grovel the Goblin from NWN: HotU
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2004 :  23:16:03  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Go for it Arion. The illithid arrogant attitude would know that he is more powerful than some puny party of would-be adventurers and that if they arent captured by the orcs to be added to the illithids slave numbers, then the lycanthropes will pick them off....thus believing, that either way, the PC's are zero threat to him.

This could open up the opportunity of the PC's gaining an advantage over the illithid later in the adventure upon their return, as the illithid may have let his guard down a little, thinking the PC's long gone.

Lord Rad

Edited by - Lord Rad on 12 Aug 2004 23:17:19
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2004 :  23:35:05  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That might work as well, Rad.....however, the illitihid knows that the lycs have split into two factions: followers of Malar and followers of Lurue. I was planning on letting this be a side note in this campaign and that would later serve as a sequel, but the way things are going, the illitihid might have to contend with one side of the lyc war or the other if the PCs hook up with them....

So mayhaps my little grandiose ending might still be able to happen, just postponed depending on what the PCs do...and the "sequel" might have to happen now...

Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2004 :  10:00:42  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Be sure to keep us informed on how it works out Sounds great, its given me some ideas for my Zhentarim campaign up near Daggerdale

Lord Rad

Go to Top of Page

MuadDib
Senior Scribe

South Africa
442 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2004 :  19:54:58  Show Profile  Visit MuadDib's Homepage Send MuadDib a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Noooooooo, use my idea my idea....oooh ooooh pick me pick me!!!

I'm glad I could help, albeit in a small way. This constitutes my first ever useful post on candlekeep!!

Let us know how it turns out!

MuadDib - Candlekeep Inn Barhand
Go to Top of Page

Arion Elenim
Senior Scribe

933 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2004 :  14:58:08  Show Profile  Visit Arion Elenim's Homepage Send Arion Elenim a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, several of you were interested to see how things worked out...

Here's what I did:

After leaving the compound, the PCs holed up nearby to gather their thoughts. The illithid emptied the compound, sending his main host to capture the PCs. It failed, and the PCs nicely destroyed what was thrown at them, including several orc shaman and seasoned orc fighters (what can I say, I was proud ).

By this time (under the advice of my Candlekeep friends), the illithid did indeed leave the compound, however is chosing to watch how the PCs handle things. Depending on how they perform, he will either enslave them and take their minds completely or rather, enslave them and use their skills as generals in his little slave-army for the Jaezered Chaulssin.

WOO-HOO! I have a campaign again! We game tonight. Expect an update tomorrow on how it all works out!!!!

Edited by - Arion Elenim on 05 Sep 2004 14:59:20
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000