Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Converting old or generic adventures to the Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Brother Ezra
Learned Scribe

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2004 :  06:26:34  Show Profile  Visit Brother Ezra's Homepage Send Brother Ezra a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I tend to do a lot of lurking on EN World, and one of the threads that I've really enjoyed reading over the past few weeks is when an old 1st edition adventure is discussed in the context of 3.5. People share their experiences with the adventure, and how they may have converted it into 3rd edition terms.

I've been thinking about starting a series of threads here that serves a similar function, but looks to fit the old adventures into the context of the Realms. In addition to sharing your memories and stories about the adventure, I'd also like to get ideas about how to fit the adventure into the Realms, both contextually and geographically. This would hopefully spark some interest in some of the "classic" modules, and help to inspire DM's to fit those modules into Realms locations.

I've got a ton of those oldies but goodies just gathering dust on my shelf, but have been hankering to convert some of them (or at least cannibalize some of the themes and ideas) into my current campaign.

What does everyone think about it? Has this been done to death already, or does it get your creative juices flowing? I'd love to start the threads, but don't want to duplicate work that has already been done on a previous scroll.

"Suffering is the touchstone of all spiritual growth."
-St. Sollars the Twice-Martyred

Edited by - Brother Ezra on 27 Jun 2004 06:27:33

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2004 :  06:30:46  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brother Ezra
What does everyone think about it? Has this been done to death already, or does it get your creative juices flowing? I'd love to start the threads, but don't want to duplicate work that has already been done on a previous scroll.

I urge you to start the threads. Even if you get someone whining, "we've done this before," most likely you are dealing with a person that doesn't realize the many new faces have come to Candlekeep since a topic has last been discussed and that such newcomers might be eager to share their thoughts and ideas.

What module/adventure did you have in mind for the first thread?
Go to Top of Page

Brother Ezra
Learned Scribe

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2004 :  06:39:17  Show Profile  Visit Brother Ezra's Homepage Send Brother Ezra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I urge you to start the threads. Even if you get someone whining, "we've done this before," most likely you are dealing with a person that doesn't realize the many new faces have come to Candlekeep since a topic has last been discussed and that such newcomers might be eager to share their thoughts and ideas.

What module/adventure did you have in mind for the first thread?

Well, I was thinking of starting with a well-known favorite, one that came with the 1st edition D&D (or was it AD&D?) boxed set, a little romp through some caves called "B2: Keep on the Borderlands".

What do you think about that for a start?

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2004 :  06:45:52  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brother Ezra
Well, I was thinking of starting with a well-known favorite, one that came with the 1st edition D&D (or was it AD&D?) boxed set, a little romp through some caves called "B2: Keep on the Borderlands".

What do you think about that for a start?

I think you are showing your age. I also think that having just done a search for that exact phrase and finding no thread devoted to converting the adventure, you should go ahead and post your thread on how this adventure can be converted to FR.

Now I need to go refresh my memory on that adventure as it's been awhile. The last I recall about it was Kenzer's Hackmaster doing a parody of it.
Go to Top of Page

Brother Ezra
Learned Scribe

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2004 :  06:56:14  Show Profile  Visit Brother Ezra's Homepage Send Brother Ezra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I think you are showing your age.

I'm not that old! I am about to celebrate the 16th anniversary of my 21st birthday!

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2004 :  12:22:19  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I loved Keep on the Borderlands. I played and DMed it over and over and over.

As for where it would be set in the Realms, it would have to be a place where there is a 'confluence' of differing humanoids (with an evil cleric cult thrown in jst for fun ...).

The only place that immediately springs to mind is the Stonelands, north of Cormyr (the evil bad guys being manipulated by Zhentarim clergy of Bane).

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2004 :  12:41:05  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Stonelands or Goblin Marches are a good idea, particularly in the post-destruction-of-Tilverton world. I can easily see the Keep on the Borderlands being a remote Cormyrean outpost in an area where Cormyr's control is diminishing in recent years. Moreover, the evil clerics could easily be Zhentarim priests of Bane seeking to forge an army, making their presence even more sinister.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

Mystery_Man
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2004 :  14:15:38  Show Profile  Visit Mystery_Man's Homepage Send Mystery_Man a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've DM'd "The Keep" in Cormyr, I'll see if I can't dig up my notes. I'm running G1-3 with the possibility of the 'D' series I get motivated.

And I've just started counting backwards from 35 last week.
Go to Top of Page

Brother Ezra
Learned Scribe

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2004 :  23:33:12  Show Profile  Visit Brother Ezra's Homepage Send Brother Ezra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all your input folks. Based on the feedback, it looks like there is no opposition to the idea, so I'll start a new thread in the "Adventuring" section of the Keep with an appropriate title and see how it goes. If there is sufficient interest and some good ideas, I'll post a new module weekly until I run out (but that should be at least a few months...)

Thanks again!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000