Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 Beneath the Twisted Tower
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Phantom_Lord
Seeker

Pakistan
92 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2004 :  18:15:26  Show Profile  Visit Phantom_Lord's Homepage Send Phantom_Lord a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Okay. I'm running a campaign set in the Dalelands, the time period is just after the Lashan War (in fact, this adventure is taking place after Fall of Lashan).

What I would like to find out from you peeps is if anyone of you have run BtTT(Beneath the Twisted Tower) in 3e/3.5e? If so could you share with me the changes and adaptations that you good folks made?

Ideas and suggestions are welcome too! Thanks in advance!

Ponka! Kaddu!

Crust
Learned Scribe

USA
273 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2004 :  20:13:25  Show Profile  Visit Crust's Homepage Send Crust a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've based two campaigns in Shadowdale, one in 2E, the other in 3E and later 3.5. Beneath the Twisted Tower was the first adventure I ever DMed in FR, so I feel qualified to help.

The best thing about the Twisted Tower is that there is always an excuse to have drow attack. I've had drow assault the Twisted Tower since that first adventure beneath the tower.

You might think about using Castle Grimstead, found to the northwest of Shadowdale, as another possible dungeon delve. I turned that ruined castle into a 10+ level dungeon that had everything from goblins and carrion crawlers to vampire lords, liches, and ancient dragons.

The Twisted Tower adventure itself is fun. It shouldn't take much to convert it to 3.5. Just think up some DCs on the fly and you should be alright.

When gaming in Shadowdale, it's important to remember that there are a number of humbling NPC characters in the area such as Elminster, Storm, Sylune, the Knights of Myth Drannor, and the occasional appearance of The Simbul. PCs in this area shouldn't expect to be overshadowing these characters, so the desire to move on and find fortune and fame elsewhere might kick in. However, those characters can act as excellent mentors to the PCs. The PCs might find themselves as the heroes of the dungeons beneath the Tower only because the Chosen and other NPCs know that such a quest might fashion the next generation of powerful wardens of the Dales (much like the way my campaign has been running).

I love the Dales. Especially Shadowdale. It's definitely home for my players and me. Enjoy!

"That's right, hurl back views that force ye to think by name-calling - 'tis the grand old tradition, let it not down! Anything to keep from having to think, or - Mystra forfend - change thy own views!"

Narnra glowered at her father. "Just how am I to learn how to think? By being taught by you?"

"Some folk in the Realms would give their lives for the chance to learn at my feet," Elminster said mildly. "Several already have."

~from Elminster's Daughter, Ed Greenwood
Go to Top of Page

Phantom_Lord
Seeker

Pakistan
92 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2004 :  07:28:28  Show Profile  Visit Phantom_Lord's Homepage Send Phantom_Lord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting suggestion, good for higher level parties. But the party that I'm doing the adventure with is 2nd level and around seven players.

I would however prefer to stay more true to original adventure, try and keep the same monsters as well (if CR permits).

Crust, do you have any files that you made for conversions and stuff?

Ponka! Kaddu!
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2004 :  16:12:58  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Phantom_Lord

Okay. I'm running a campaign set in the Dalelands, the time period is just after the Lashan War (in fact, this adventure is taking place after Fall of Lashan).

What year would that be?
Go to Top of Page

Phantom_Lord
Seeker

Pakistan
92 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2004 :  19:18:57  Show Profile  Visit Phantom_Lord's Homepage Send Phantom_Lord a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:

What year would that be?

My bad. The time period would be 1356 DR through to 1358 DR, just before the time of troubles.

Ponka! Kaddu!
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2004 :  19:38:06  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
My bad. The time period would be 1356 DR through to 1358 DR, just before the time of troubles.

Thanks. I knew it was in the past, but wasn't certain of the exact time frame.
Go to Top of Page

Crust
Learned Scribe

USA
273 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2004 :  04:54:53  Show Profile  Visit Crust's Homepage Send Crust a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Interesting suggestion, good for higher level parties. But the party that I'm doing the adventure with is 2nd level and around seven players.

I would however prefer to stay more true to original adventure, try and keep the same monsters as well (if CR permits).

Crust, do you have any files that you made for conversions and stuff?

No, I don't have any files with conversions. Sorry.

"That's right, hurl back views that force ye to think by name-calling - 'tis the grand old tradition, let it not down! Anything to keep from having to think, or - Mystra forfend - change thy own views!"

Narnra glowered at her father. "Just how am I to learn how to think? By being taught by you?"

"Some folk in the Realms would give their lives for the chance to learn at my feet," Elminster said mildly. "Several already have."

~from Elminster's Daughter, Ed Greenwood
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2010 :  10:27:34  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The idea of making this module for 3.5 is great. Wish somebody actually did the conversion...

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

JoeMorgan
Acolyte

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2014 :  12:57:56  Show Profile Send JoeMorgan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Many years (and at least one edition) later, I finally got around to converting this for a new campaign I started up somewhat recently. Posting a link here for anyone who is interested. Note that I only wrote parts that I felt needed to be updated--you'll still need the original source material to run the adventure:

http://stachedaway.com/game/Beneath_the_Twisted_Tower.docx
Go to Top of Page

Pluddon
Seeker

57 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2014 :  21:43:18  Show Profile Send Pluddon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I ran this adventure fairly recently for a 2E game. I realized that the party ( which started going in at first level) became a very formidable force with their new, non-magical, overpowered drow armor and weapons. Sure it only worked underground but that is were the whole thing took place! I had to beef up some of the encounters down there, but it led to a very fun campaign and set up some good opportunities for a solid story.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 25 Mar 2014 :  22:09:53  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Joe!

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Joebing
Learned Scribe

USA
202 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2015 :  21:38:42  Show Profile Send Joebing a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Did anyone ever grab Joe's conversion? I just got to converting this one (been on a spree in the Dales lately) and was browsing for info when I found this.

Now plugging away on mass conversion to 5e, as well as my imprint J. Halk Games.

http://www.facebook.com/JHalkGames

First adventure on DM Guild: Lair of Elaacrimalicros
Go to Top of Page

JoeMorgan
Acolyte

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 02 Dec 2015 :  21:52:30  Show Profile Send JoeMorgan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry, I let that domain lapse. You can find the word doc of the conversion here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxIcguHou3AjczU5U1JUcUNzMGM/view?usp=sharing

Go to Top of Page

Joebing
Learned Scribe

USA
202 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2015 :  02:05:58  Show Profile Send Joebing a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Awesome! Thanks!

Now plugging away on mass conversion to 5e, as well as my imprint J. Halk Games.

http://www.facebook.com/JHalkGames

First adventure on DM Guild: Lair of Elaacrimalicros
Go to Top of Page

Evrat
Acolyte

France
45 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2015 :  13:08:59  Show Profile Send Evrat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where can I find the original module ?
Go to Top of Page

JoeMorgan
Acolyte

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2015 :  14:06:43  Show Profile Send JoeMorgan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Evrat

Where can I find the original module ?

It was in the Shadowdale book of the 2nd Edition Forgotten Realms boxed set: http://www.amazon.com/FORGOTTEN-CAMPAIGN-Advanced-Dungeons-Dragons/dp/1560766174
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000