Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Realms Events
 The return of Bane
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2011 :  18:08:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MisterX

*speaks in a dark voice* RIIISEEEE, Thread, from your grave and be resurrected!
Ahm, ehm, *coughs*, well, sorry for thread-necromancy. But it's better than spamming with a completely new one, I suppose… ;)

Was it ever stated in lore where exactly Bane broke out of Iyachtu Xvim (how the hell is THAT pronounced, by the way?)?
Was it maybe Zhentilkeep?

As in, the physical location where Bane popped out? That's never been stated, just that it happened. In Xvim's divine realm would be the most logical place for it to happen, there or where Bane's realm was during his previous incarnation.

Me, I theorize now that Bane did not return, that the whole thing was a ploy by Xvim to cash in on his dad's reputation and popularity. There were some interesting tidbits scattered throughout 3E lore that left some real doubt on whether we were seeing Bane 1.0 reborn, some amalgam of Bane and Xvim, or my theory of Xvim posing as Bane.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

MisterX
Learned Scribe

Germany
118 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2011 :  19:23:37  Show Profile Send MisterX a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So it'd be unlikely to have some big lightning, explosion and great fireworks within the Keep, telling people around the Realms Bane was back?

Well, the new sign (with Iyachtu's green light, for example) would hint at that… what are/were the other "tidbits"?

I've lost track of recent realmslore, since my campaigns are still in the 1370ies. :-)
---
When talking about rules (and related stuff) I always refer to 3.5e unless explicitly noted.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2011 :  04:44:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

So it'd be unlikely to have some big lightning, explosion and great fireworks within the Keep, telling people around the Realms Bane was back?

It was a vision sent to Xvim's followers.

quote:

Well, the new sign (with Iyachtu's green light, for example) would hint at that… what are/were the other "tidbits"?

Bane 2.0 is not using his old holy symbol.

Bane 1.0 favored red and black, and Xvim favored green and black. Bane 2.0 favors green and black.

There was a critter... I don't recall which one it was, something evil and nasty. Xvim liked these critters, and used them as some of his manifestations. Bane 1.0 did not use them -- but 2.0 does.

Now, all of that could be explained away by saying Bane and Xvim merged, and the new Bane has pieces of both. Or it could be explained by saying that Bane tried to subsume Xvim, and mostly succeeded -- but not entirely.

But... Xvim has already masqueraded as another deity, with the intent of getting more power out of the deal. And in the Realms, it's not uncommon for one deity to assume the identity of a fallen deity, even if the fallen one had nothing in common with the usurper -- like Cyric and Leira, or Lolth and Moander. Xvim had a lot to gain by taking daddy's name, and nothing to lose. In my opinion, given those random bits of data, the most likely scenario is that Xvim is Bane, and the original Bane remains dead.

Oh, and I also think it a bit odd that only Xvim's priests had that vision... If it was Bane 1.0 coming back, shouldn't his remaining faithful, or those he lost to Cyric, have had similar visions?

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 04 Jul 2011 04:46:16
Go to Top of Page

MisterX
Learned Scribe

Germany
118 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2011 :  07:07:31  Show Profile Send MisterX a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds reasonable…

Back to the vision of Bane breaking out of Xvim (gosh, if he'd really be just pretending, he won some easy to pronounce name!) – why did the "goodly folk" of Faerūn believe 'em? How did they get to know? Did the other gods warn their clergy in similar visions?

I've lost track of recent realmslore, since my campaigns are still in the 1370ies. :-)
---
When talking about rules (and related stuff) I always refer to 3.5e unless explicitly noted.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2011 :  16:31:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sounds reasonable…

Back to the vision of Bane breaking out of Xvim (gosh, if he'd really be just pretending, he won some easy to pronounce name!) – why did the "goodly folk" of Faerūn believe 'em? How did they get to know? Did the other gods warn their clergy in similar visions?

Because all of Xvim's priests converted over to Bane, and suddenly Bane was being worshipped again. It's never mentioned how anyone else found out, but when your local neighborhood Xvimite suddenly starts shouting Bane's praises, it's obvious something's up.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2011 :  20:05:24  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Sounds reasonable…

Because all of Xvim's priests converted over to Bane, and suddenly Bane was being worshipped again. It's never mentioned how anyone else found out, but when your local neighborhood Xvimite suddenly starts shouting Bane's praises, it's obvious something's up.

I've always liked the idea that the rising of Velsharoon through the takeover the former god of liches had something to do with Bane returning. Somehow it released some of Bane's former power which had been stripped from him by the lich lord's original rising. I always wanted to pursue that angle, but I never sat down and wrote anything major up.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000