Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Help Finding a Short Story Again?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Daviot
Senior Scribe

USA
372 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2024 :  01:08:46  Show Profile  Visit Daviot's Homepage Send Daviot a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Due to chronic illness sapping my energies and parental meddling that finally put away boxes of books in my house—entirely out of order and scattered without reason across five bookshelves...I was recently reminded of a Realms short story that I cannot for the life of me find my hard copy of, nor remember the name of. After much digging, I found Best of the Realms 1 and 3 (2 is still AWOL), Realms of War, and Realms of Magic, all on different bookshelves...across three rooms of my house.

If I remember (halfway) correctly, the concept was of a secret agent (a highknight, I think?) who effectively acted as a "secret agent", using the cover story of a castle inspector who liked/specialized in crenellations/battlements?

Assistance would be most appreciated.

One usually has far more to fear from the soft-spoken wizard with a blade and well-worn boots than from the boisterous one in the ivory tower.
My Tabletop Writing CV.

Blademaster
Acolyte

Canada
5 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2024 :  01:59:18  Show Profile Send Blademaster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You query jogged my memory and if I have the correct story, it is in Realms of Mystery. The story is called The Grinning Ghost of Taverton Hall by Ed Greenwood. Thankfully my bookshelf is right behind me :)

The character in question is "Glarasteer Rhauligan, dealer in turret tops and spires. No embattlement too small, no embrasure too large, no crenellation too eccentric. If you can draw it, I can build it!"

And he was a Harper agent and spy for Alusair Obarskyr.
Go to Top of Page

Daviot
Senior Scribe

USA
372 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2024 :  18:23:17  Show Profile  Visit Daviot's Homepage Send Daviot a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks so much! A bit more checking confirms I came across its reprint via Best of the Realms Volume 2...the volume of which is lost to the chaos of the aforementioned bookshelving.

One usually has far more to fear from the soft-spoken wizard with a blade and well-worn boots than from the boisterous one in the ivory tower.
My Tabletop Writing CV.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000