Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Ed Greenwood from Greenwood's Grotto
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1170 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2023 :  07:02:56  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On proper names in the novel Shadowdale

5eForechecker (Ruf) — 02/14/2023 11:01 PM

Good morning Ed! One of my favorite scenes in any novel is at the end of Shadowdale, where El and Midnight are practicing magic together. El throws all these proper names out, and so far I have only found more information about one of them: Seker, the real life/Mulhorandi god.

I'm not expecting you to elaborate on all these names. I'm more curious if they were part of existing Realmslore, or were they made up by Scott Ciencin? #128516;
quote:
"Do ye not remember the rite of Chiah, Warden of Darkness?"

"Of Elki, of Apenimon, draw from thy power"

"The dream dance of Lukyan Lutherum?"

"Read for me now, from the sacred scrolls of Knotum, Seif, Seker…"

Thank you as always!

Ed Greenwood — 02/15/2023 9:06 AM

Hi! They were made up by Scott Ciencin, and I'm afraid he's too dead now to ask any lore questions of him. However, I kidded him about those names at a GenCon dinner (or rather, over the drinks afterwards), and made a few notes about what he came up with; I'll try to find them for you. This may take a day or six.
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1170 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2023 :  07:05:17  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On the names for each year in the Roll of Years

Cdawg — 02/15/2023 12:46 AM

Hi Ed, For the Roll of Years, how did you chose the names for each year? Did you have an inkling of the foreseen event that gave each year its name?

Ed Greenwood — 02/15/2023 9:09 AM

I did, for the ones I made up, but Steven Schend visited me for a fun weekend, years and years ago, wherein we made up huge reams of additional years, and other designers have added more, since, and most of those years did not have events planned for them. However, a lot of them had "suggestive" names that we could easily tie to things, later on, as the Realms unfolded. And there are still a few lurking Secrets of the Realms that have yet to be uncovered...
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1170 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2023 :  07:24:11  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On naming conventions for the supercontinent that holds Faerun, Zakhara and Kara-Tur

The Director — 02/15/2023 2:49 AM

Hello @Ed Greenwood For naming conventions does the supercontinent that holds Faerun, Zakhara and Kara-Tur have a name like Eurasia for Europe and Asia?

Ed Greenwood — 02/15/2023 9:13 AM

It depends on who's discussing it. To sages and scholars on the western bit, the whole thing is "Faerûn." To those east of there, it's Bharyar ("other lands").
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1170 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2023 :  07:27:52  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On the horniest bit of lore about the Realms in their original version

Augustoc, Femboy Warlock — 02/15/2023 6:18 AM

@Ed Greenwood , I had a question which I hope isn't too... forward.

It's widely known that the Realms were "toned down" to be more family friendly for business reasons. So what's the horniest bit of lore you can give us about the Realms in their original version? Something you presumably created yourself but WotC/TSR would never publish? Or just something you were proud of having created, but that never got to see the light of day because of puritanism?

Ed Greenwood — 02/15/2023 9:17 AM

Probably the bed- and mate-swapping that went on freely among Waterdhavian nobles, and among Cormyrean nobles. There's a hint of it, with Alusair enjoying all the young male nobles she rode on patrol with, in one of my short stories. Oh, and TSR/WotC would never publish the lists of euphemisms for prostitutes and naughty body parts. They wouldn't even call brothels "brothels."

Augustoc, Femboy Warlock — 02/15/2023 9:19 AM

Oh yeah, I remember that, it's why you had to rename them to festhalls

...I'm curious, why exactly did those nobles do that? Of course I understand humans seeking pleasure, but it seems odd that people so obsessed with genealogy and their ancestors would do that in a world where birth control isn't a thing

Ed Greenwood — 02/15/2023 9:19 AM

Ah, but if you have the money to pay for the spells, birth control very much IS a thing.

Augustoc, Femboy Warlock — 02/15/2023 9:20 AM

...I now REALLY want to ask more, but I've already asked twice, shouldn't be abusing my mod position

...unless you're saying the Book of Erotic Fantasy is canon #128064;

Ed Greenwood — 02/15/2023 9:22 AM

Nope, it's not that, it's that TSR's Code of Ethics edited out all of those spells and kept them unpublished. Heck, I couldn't even mention Lancelot and Guinevre being lovers in some versions of the Arthurian legends, because that would mean Guinevre was cheating on King Arthur, so CAN'T PUBLISH THAT.
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1170 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2023 :  07:32:10  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On Chessenta during 1490

Bhaal — 02/15/2023 8:09 AM

@Ed Greenwood hi.. can you tell us a little about chessenta during 1490, and more important.. how tchazzar did manage to come back to life after that battle in 1479 against the brotherhood of the griffon?

Ed Greenwood — 02/15/2023 9:19 AM

There's an upcoming Chessenta product at the DM's Guild that I'm writing a foreword for, that will cover Chessenta. I'll have to check NDAs to see how much I can say about Txhazzar...
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1170 Posts

Posted - 20 Nov 2023 :  23:37:42  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On human settlement of Aglarond before the late 4th century DR

A Bear of Very Little Brain — 02/15/2023 10:35 AM

@Ed Greenwood So, my question of the day has to do with the writing of an in universe novel so my own curiosity would enjoy the details as we are able to know them out of world and my real need is as they would be known to someone living near the region in the 1480s DR, and that question is about what is now Aglarond in the late 4th century DR. There was a increase in the human population in the mid 8th century DR, with that being when settlements like Veltalar were founded, but what was human settlement of the coasts like before then?

Ed Greenwood — 02/15/2023 10:44 AM

A few fisherfolk and clam-diggers at the eastern end of the southern coast of the peninsula (what later becomes known as the Wizards' Reach) is the only human settlement at that time. Fishing boats get beached for repairs on the north coast, but the elves of the Yuirwood take a very dim view of cutting trees (for masts, planking, etc.) so it takes a LONG time for the northern coast (the future Aglarond) to gain any permanent settlements, and they begin in the best coves (natural harbours) and rivermouths, with the forest down to the water's edge except where exposed bedrock thins the trees. Emmech grows faster than anything on the peninsula's north coast (later "revisionist history" among humans, especially in Teflamm, sees Aglarond as more populous and important in its early days than it really was).
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1170 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2023 :  00:26:32  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On accessibility of epic magic to outsiders

Zeph — 02/13/2023 10:47 AM

Was thinking about a conversation from one of the chats from a few days ago and was curious for what you thought about this.

So, Wish specifies that it's the mightiest spell that a mortal can cast, since Mystra's Ban was enacted, and that apparently " Epic Magic" is still allowed. What type of epic magic is still able to be used as of the current timeline in Forgotten Realms, and how accessible is this magic to non mortal beings like Celestials, Archdevils, Demon Princes, and Divine Beings?

Ed Greenwood — 02/15/2023 10:54 AM

The epic magic still usable are workings that take the form of rituals: long, complex sequences of spellcastings done by multiple casters working together. Ao and Mystra sharply curb the use of these by non-mortals, particularly residents of other planes, and watching for transgressions (any castings of overly powerful spells in a reckless manner) is a major part of Azuth’s job, and THE job of Savras.
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1170 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2023 :  01:53:57  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On Mystra's current domain located within the outer planes

The Entire State of NJ — 02/14/2023 12:16 PM

@Ed Greenwood Thanks for taking the time to answer questions! Since the details are a bit unclear, would you be able to clarify where is Mystra's current domain located within the outer planes and what does it look like at this point/what would someone visiting experience?

Ed Greenwood — 02/15/2023 11:10 AM

No mortal knows, for the very good reason that Mystra is currently dwelling within the Weave (so, on Toril, but hidden, “everyone at once” and spinning her own extra-dimensional spaces out of it when she wants rooms for mortals and servitors to enter), with backup ‘echoes’ of herself in Azuth’s realm (quietly inhabiting a castle of deep royal blue mists, of the same hue as one sees when “falling” (experienced for a moment, when plane shifting).
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1170 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2023 :  03:12:11  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On "the drugs" within the Realms: drinks, herbs, powders, fungi, animals...

DM Corvo he/him (Luís Ricardo) — 02/16/2023 2:51 AM

Hello Mister @Ed Greenwood! I would like to know more about "the drugs" within the Realms: drinks, herbs, powders, fungi, animals... Would the Realms' reality be analogous to ours in that sense?

Also, how do most Realms deal with this? Do they treat some drugs as forbidden and others as allowed?

Ed Greenwood — 02/16/2023 10:16 AM

Both for medicinal (healing) and mood altering, most drugs in the Realms are derived from natural herbs and fungi, mixed in particular (sometimes secret) combinations, and powdered, or distilled in particular saps or animal fluids (for their protein), and these are largely dispensed by clergy, and are "temple secrets" and shrine- and temple-sold products. As such, there's no frowning upon their use, just secular frowning upon their use in particular situations (no warriors going into battle drugged except with permission of their commanders, no driving coaches or wagons while drugged, etc.). As in our real world, stimulants like kaethe (coffee) and depressants like alcohol are consumed "for pleasure," tobacco too, and such uses are socially accepted. Many, many folk make use of painkillers, either purchased or self-administered ("herblore"). I have provided lists of magical drugs in the past, but I'll have to hunt around for them. I think THO posted some in the Questions for me forum at Candlekeep, on my behalf...
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1170 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2023 :  13:30:00  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On Orothdroun

Sheepy — 02/14/2023 8:34 AM

@Ed Greenwood, again, thank you for the lore; it's always a pleasure to get new Realmslore from its primal source. I turn my curiosity now to another dragon, one I hope isn't buried under an NDA... Since I saw him in Wyrms of the Realms - Mythic Encounters, I've been curious about Orothdroun. The book says he's a ghost trying to learn every spell in existence, but it says nothing of his life or how he became a ghost. I'd love to know what more you can add to his tale.

Ed Greenwood — 02/16/2023 1:48 PM

It doesn't? Sigh. Okay, here we go... "A dragon who perished in the time of Ahghairon, yet lived on in undeath because of the wyrm’s own magical preparations. Most bards and even tavern-tongues can figure out that Orothdroun was a breed of dragon that could shapeshift, and had the desire and the acting skills to dwell among humans disguised as one of them, and not be caught, but the tales preserve little beyond his name and what he did after death. And likely still does.

It’s known that Orothdroun dwelt in Waterdeep for decades, as a “human” alchemist of Castle Ward, Droun Havalandur. He concocted and sold medicines, sealants, lubricants, and seasoned cooking oils, work that seemed to content him. Yet in secret, he experimented with necromancy, preparing himself for continued existence beyond death. Perhaps he expected to be murdered, by humans or other non-human lurkers in Waterdeep or even draconic rivals who’d long been seeking him—or perhaps he was simply fascinated with the magical experimentations, the extending of his own mastery. Neither Khelben nor Elminster knew Orothdroun’s motivations or even the cause of his death, though it seems to have been sudden, not noticed by the city at large at the time, and to have done nothing to extinguish Orothdroun’s love of dwelling in Waterdeep, and taking interest in the unfolding daily lives of its human citizens." and... "Elminster believes Orothdroun was an adult silver dragon" in life.

Elminster is right about Orothdroun, and I can add this much: Droun Havalandur died fighting evil mages who wanted to enslave him and make use of his necromantic research and skills. He'd have been helpless against them if he'd just been the human he appeared to be; as it was, he perished as a dragon, taking out almost all of them in the fight...and then, thanks to his preparations, "rose" as a ghost.
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1170 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2023 :  13:32:20  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On two species of spiders that had minor appearances in the Magehound novel

Juniper Churlgo — 02/14/2023 9:33 AM

The daily question for Lord Greenwood @Ed Greenwood : these two species of spiders that had minor appearances in Magehound novel. Do they have proper names? https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Halruaan_scaled_spider and https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Halruaan_glass_spider. And is there any lore like ecology, or what magic are their bits used for and such? Can we eat them? I totally expect a no because it's Elaine Cunningham's novel.

Ed Greenwood — 02/16/2023 2:18 PM

And you expect rightly: there IS an NDA in place. Sorry.
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1170 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2023 :  13:36:43  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On is there any intention to continue the timeline of the Realms over at Abeir after the Second Sundering

Gustavo Tortato — 02/15/2023 10:09 PM

Hey @Ed Greenwood, I know this may be under infinite NDAs or maybe just a subject better left forgotten, but is there any intention from you to continue the timeline of the Realms over at Abeir after the Second Sundering?

Being that in the form of soucebooks or even novels?

Ed Greenwood — 02/16/2023 10:22 AM

Intentions, oh yes. However, there ARE NDAs that must be navigated, and I have less than no time these days (and Abeir lends itself to being "compartmentalized" and set aside for a bit), so it may be a while.
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1170 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2023 :  13:41:21  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On how Waterdeep tends to react to outsiders that live within its walls

The Entire State of NJ — 02/16/2023 1:55 PM

So I was browsing the Forgotten Realms Wiki and Waterdeep in Particular while coming up with some ideas for future games, and found that, according to Waterdeep: Dragon Heist (spoilers for the adventure up ahead) that there is a Rakshasa living within the city. I Was Curious, how does the city tend to react to outsiders that live within its walls? If one is not openly violating city laws or causing issues, would the city react hostility to an outsider like the one mentioned living within?

Ed Greenwood — 02/16/2023 2:21 PM

This is another "it depends" answer. In this case, on the track record/past history of the specific outsider. If they've been trouble in the past, they're not going to be tolerated; the Deep isn't going to wait for them to prepare any trouble. If they're new to the city, and (as you say) not openly violating laws or causing trouble, they will be tolerated. That's what being "THE" crossroads trading center for the Sword Coast has done: made for a tolerant, eclectic city. A raskhasa doesn't look as monstrous as, say, a beholder or an illithid. The public would react with fear and anger to those creatures.
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1170 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2023 :  13:44:57  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On the Many-Starred Cloak in Neverwinter

JacobJ — 02/16/2023 6:04 AM

Hey @Ed Greenwood - What's going on with the Many-Starred Cloak in Neverwinter? Have The Many-Starred Cloak resumed their presence in Neverwinter and taken their tower back? What sort of presence do they have in the city? Last we heard in the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide, the orcs left Neverwinter presumably leaving the Cloak Tower empty.

Ed Greenwood — 02/16/2023 2:25 PM

You know about the Cloaked Ascendancy, yes?
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1170 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2023 :  13:49:24  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On spells that Elminster created that have not made it into any official books

Kamuai — 02/16/2023 4:13 PM

Hey @Ed Greenwood Do you have any spells you can share that Elminster has created that might not have made it into any official books for play?

Ed Greenwood — 02/16/2023 4:38 PM

Yes. You may have to wait some time, though, before we get to those Patreon posts...
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1170 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2023 :  13:51:46  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On noble houses within Waterdeep that associate or deal with orcs

Drewsef4 — 02/17/2023 12:10 PM

@Ed Greenwood Hail! I've a player playing a half orc in Waterdeep wondering, for purposes of crafting his backstory, if there are any noble houses within Waterdeep that associate or deal with orcs, or use any as servants, where such a pairing might originate from, be it star-crossed lovers or otherwise. Would any such house exists, and if so, what nature of business would they have with orcs and how discreet would it be?

Ed Greenwood — 02/17/2023 12:39 PM

House Gralhund, for one, and it would be low-profile but not secret. Most meetings with orcs would be out at the country estates of the Gralhunds, and yes, they could well have orc servants and especially front gate and front door guards.

Augustoc, Femboy Warlock — 02/17/2023 12:39 PM

Like... actual orcs? In Waterdeep? Or just half-orcs?

Ed Greenwood — 02/17/2023 12:49 PM

Actual orcs. Half-orcs are uncommon in the Deep, but getting less so, and are seen here, there, and everywhere, especially as bodyguards.

Sheepy — 02/17/2023 10:42 PM

So are orcs more common in Waterdeep than half-orcs? I know that setting-wide orcs are the more plentiful, but one would think that in human-dominated cities, you'd see more half-orcs and very few, if any, orcs

Ed Greenwood — 02/18/2023 2:25 AM

Correct. Half-orcs are far more common in Waterdeep than orcs. And in the streets (out in public, in daylight) even more so.
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1170 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2023 :  13:56:05  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On fifteen Simbarchs

A Bear of Very Little Brain — 02/16/2023 11:15 AM

@Ed Greenwood More Aglarond questions, since that's where I'm DMing at the moment, it's mentioned that by 1475 DR, with the death of the the Simbul half a century prior then, that the rule had gone to fifteen Simbarch, so I was curious if you had any of them you had thought of in specific? Along with if there's been any change in number or anything by the 1490s DR?

Ed Greenwood — 02/17/2023 3:51 PM

I will reveal more about the current Simbarchs in a future Patreon post, and revealed something vital (but hidden from the wider Realms) about the Council in the first Legends online chat. As far as the reast of the Realms knows, there have been no major changes (including the size of the Council).
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1170 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2023 :  14:03:19  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On "Bodyguard Royal" of Cormyr

Juniper Churlgo — 02/17/2023 9:09 PM

more Q4Ed. "Bodyguard Royal" of cormyr. Can you tell a bit more about them as an organization? are they independent from war wizards and purple ds? Are they loyal to the king, the throne, or Vangie? (Bodyguard Royal appeared in Swords of Eveningstar)

Ed Greenwood — 02/18/2023 2:22 AM

The Bodyguard Royal is an elite group of Purple Dragons, selected by Vangey, and officially loyal to the Crown (= the throne). Unofficially, they're loyal to Vangey second, and Azoun IC first, because Queen Filfaeril, with the assistance of two Highknights and a Harper who is also Fee's senior chambermaid, vet and train them AFTER Vangey makes his selection. So bodyguards whose first loyalty to Vangey get the doorguard and remote envoy duties; Fee makes sure only her trusted picks guard the King's body. After all, hers is with it a lot of the time, in the most unclad/vulnerable moments.
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1170 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2023 :  00:16:12  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On any downsides for Mystra to hide within the Weave

Smokey — 02/18/2023 2:45 AM

@Ed Greenwood , could you tell us if there are any downsides for Mystra to hide within the Weave? Can she be hurt or even killed by other gods still? Is her connection to her Chosen diminished in any way? I'm wondering why this was not done before, for exemple, when she was slain by Cyric. In the Faiths & Avatars (2e) sourcebook it says that gods cannot enter the Prime Material, and since she is dwelling within the weave, and the weave is within the Prime Material, is Mystra exempt from this rule?

Ed Greenwood — 02/18/2023 2:57 AM

Mystra IS the Weave. So hiding within it, for her, is about the same as your friend walking into a room naked, then turning their back on you, and pretending that because they now can't see you, that you can't see them; they're "hidden." ;} Yes, Mystra can still be hurt or slain, but it's harder, because if she's subsumed into the energy flows of the Weave, she's "everywhere and nowhere"...there isn't a concentrated target for a foe to hit. They can easily hit her, but it's a thin, small bit of her. And one thing a god can normally NOT do is harm Mystra purely by spells: she's their power source for spells, and can cut them off instantly. (Note: she can't cut off spell effects, such as an avalanche caused by a blasting spell, but she can cut off the energies of the spell itself.) Gods cannot normally enter the Prime Material as gods (they can only manifest, or create avatars, or work through the minds of mortals), but there are lots of exceptions, Mystra being one, and Eldath being another. As for downsides to hiding: Mystra is magic, and hiding is "not doing your job," which isn't just a matter of work ethic, it's a matter of life: magic happening is what Mystra is, and exists to do. If she isn't involved in magic being cast or created, she isn't living.

The Entire State of NJ — 02/18/2023 3:17 AM

So on the God's not entering the material plane, is their a certain level of power that a being has to obtain to be barred from directly walking the material plane? Would an exarch/demigod/quasi-deity still be able to walk the plane or would they be forced to abide by the same exceptions? I'm a bit confused what the difference between an Aspect and an Avatar is, and if they are the same sentience as the deity that formed them or not

Ed Greenwood — 02/18/2023 3:26 AM

Beware of all absolute statements, regarding the gods. ;} The short answer to your question is that yes, there is a power level "requirement." The Realms is full of place-spirits (think of Old Man Willow in Middle-Earth), and yes, demigods and exarchs can live in the Prime Material. The prohibition is on (most) gods moving their entire divine form from an outer plane to the Prime Material. Which most of them would be loathe to do anyway, because if slain in the Prime Material, they're dead and gone (Mystra was again an exception, because she had bits of her own divine essence wandering around in many mortals, and could be slowly brought back, in lesser form, by combining them). Avatars are created vehicles (either out of "whole cloth" or by taking the living body of a creature who willingly submits or whom the deity mentally "overwhelms") for a god to invest a small portion of their divine power into, to walk the Prime Material for them; the host body starts in the Prime Material and so, doesn't have to be transported into it. Avatars are based on the deity and are USUALLY in direct mental contact with/under control of the deity, but may have more limited awareness, memories, and cognitive abilities. If an avatar is slain, the deity loses that part of their divine power that was invested in it, but (again, usually) that essence will slowly drift through the planes to return to them (often years or decades later, from the timekeeping POV of the Prime Material).
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1170 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2023 :  00:20:08  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On cool/fun/unknown things happening in the Chasm District of Neverwinter

JacobJ — 02/18/2023 2:58 AM

@Ed Greenwood Can you tell us any cool/fun/unknown things happening in the Chasm District of Neverwinter now that the Chasm is sealed and a bunch of scrappy/tenacious people have moved in to start fresh?

Ed Greenwood — 02/18/2023 3:00 AM

Surface or below? ;} (There will be an upcoming Neverwinter-related Patreon post, after I get around to writing it.)
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1170 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2023 :  00:25:47  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On forcing the spirits within the Blackstaff to grant them access to the staffs capabilities

Agneus — 02/18/2023 5:01 AM

@Ed Greenwood I have a question regarding the Blackstaff. If a powerful villain stole the Blackstaff, would there be a way for them to compel it to permit attunement or otherwise force the spirits within to grant them access to the staffs capabilities against their will? If not, is there maybe a way to trick the staff?

Ed Greenwood — 02/18/2023 5:13 AM

I can think of complex ways of preparing spell fields to direct and contain the released (otherwise sheerly chaotic and destructive) energies released by breaking the staff, but I can't think of a way to compel the spirits within, or trick them. Think of who's in there, their life experiences, and the connections some of them have with Mystra. Even if you used a wish spell, Mystra or Azuth would ride it and twist what it did to prevent you–or just outright deny it by withdrawing the Weave from it, so there'd be no energy to power your desired effect. So: nope.
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1170 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2023 :  00:44:27  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On big revelations about Jergal's history and motivations and Manshoon's identity in Eric and George's DMs Guild contributions

Cdawg — 02/18/2023 10:23 AM

Hi Ed. There were some big revelations about Jergal's history and motivations and Manshoon's identity in Eric and George's DMs Guild contributions. Were these secrets that they expanded on, or is this newly conceived lore? I'm being unspecific to avoid spoilers.

Ed Greenwood — 02/18/2023 10:41 AM

George and Eric and I talk Realmslore a lot, and they show me what they're preparing, and what they're about to publish, for my comments. I sometimes add things. So some of what they reveal is lore created from Realmslore secrets I've shared. They are the VERY BEST of Weavers of the Great Tapestry that is the Realms. :}
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1170 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2023 :  00:47:36  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On the word to refer to worshippers of Skerrit

Juniper Churlgo — 02/18/2023 10:40 AM

Oh oh OOOOHHH! Ed. what's the word to refer to worshippers of Skerrit? SKerran? SKerrian? SKerrite?

Ed Greenwood — 02/18/2023 10:42 AM

Skerram.
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1170 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2023 :  00:57:39  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On working with Mike Schley

JacobJ — 02/18/2023 11:09 AM

Hey @Ed Greenwood Can you give us a little peek behind the curtain on how it is to work with Mike Schley? Are you working with him directly or do you use an art director? Do you send him napkin sketches? Do you generally give a lot of specificity on things like city maps?

P.S., Picked up Thay: Land of the Red Wizards after your video/podcast, and it exceeded my expectations in just about every regard!

Ed Greenwood — 02/18/2023 11:39 AM

The secret is that I write stuff, and other folks put the books together (Wizards of the Coast, or in the case of THAY, Alex Kammer helmed the book and wrangled the art). For most of my early TSR work, I sent them finished, publishable maps (see FR Adventures: they replaced my hand-drawn compass roses, redid my numbering so it wasn't "by hand," and put in the color lines to denote major streets).
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1170 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2023 :  01:06:59  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On literacy among nobles in Cormyr in the 4th c. DR

A Bear of Very Little Brain — 02/18/2023 12:15 PM

@Ed Greenwood Another history question, what was literacy like among nobles in Cormyr in the 4th c. DR? Mention is made that Azoun IV made sure the Purple Dragons were literate, but was that work mostly focused on the rank and file soldiers or were the knights and nobles who served themselves also beginning to be taught to read then?

Ed Greenwood — 02/18/2023 12:19 PM

All nobles can write and read, and most of their senior retainers (envoys, messengers, scribes, seneschals, chatelaines, stewards) can, too. All cooks in royal and noble households can read and write. Most knights can read and write, unless they happened to be illiterate and were knighted on the battlefield/for war service. Even farmers in Cormyr can struggle along with written proclamations, getting one word in six or so, and puzzling out the meaning; they go to local priests to make sure they've grasped the nuances (and yes, the priests can read and write. ;} )
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1170 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2023 :  01:11:17  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On Mhzentul's mountain abode

Gareth — 02/18/2023 12:26 PM

@Ed Greenwood Can you reveal the location of Mhzentul's mountain abode, and any treasures it may have contained before it was sacked.

Many regards.

Ed Greenwood — 03/10/2023 11:08 AM

Sure. It was a turret-like round stone house atop natural caverns enlarged by goblins and then enlarged again by Mhzentul, and the small peak it crowned and honeycombed was known as Aldivur’s Fang, after the busy, successful human prospector who first found it, and after its shape. Aldivur’s Fang is one of the most northeastern mountains in the Stormhorns (or as many maps have them, the “Storm Horns”), rising on the eastern side of the northeasternmost tip of that range, overlooking the road linking Arabel and Tilverton. Mhzentul didn’t spend much time there; he was a busy traveller. However, it was the site of his ring-making workshop and his spell library, and held at least one cache of magic items, including a rod of absorption, a robe of stars, a wand of magic detection, a belt of dwarvenkind, a luckstone, and a cloak of the blue dragon (wearer can fly, and can turn into blue dragon form for seven rounds at a time, retaining their own sentience and hit points, but gaining all blue dragon abilities and powers).
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1170 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2023 :  01:13:58  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On Dragon Rage, or a Flight of Dragons, happen due to an event totally unrelated to the Mythal

Gustavo Tortato — 02/19/2023 3:31 AM

Another one dragon related @Ed Greenwood and maybe @ericlboyd could help as well? As I was reading about the Dracorage at Dragons of Faerûn I came to know that a small, localized one is named as a Flight of Dragons.

At Grand History of the Realms it says that the first Flight of Dragons took place at the year -30,000 DR, but it also states that the Dracorage Mythal was created at -25,000 DR.

My question at the end of the day is: can a Dragon Rage, or a Flight of Dragons, hapoen due to an event totally unrelated to the Mythal, allowing one to happen at the 1490s?

Or the event at -30,000 DR is just a bunch of dragons rallying under Nagamat to destroy some Aearee that shares the name Flight of Dragons? Maybe this event was the inspiration for the name later given to the localized Dracorage?

ericlboyd — 02/19/2023 2:36 PM

A Flight is smaller than a Rage. I suspect a Flight can occur, even without the Dracorage Mythal in place. However, the reasons behind such gatherings is beyond the ken of other races.

Ed Greenwood — 02/20/2023 3:00 AM

Echoing Eric: a Flight is smaller than a Rage. Though if you're a non-dragon caught in the path of one, the difference may seem moot. ;}
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1170 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2023 :  13:11:13  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On elves departing for other worlds where elves remain dominant

Cdawg — 02/19/2023 5:12 AM

@Ed Greenwood Elves are familiar with other worlds and likely have access to them (particularly in Faerun of all places). When elven civilization declined and humanity rose, did any elves depart for other worlds where elves remain dominant? Do current elven civilizations in the Realms send support to elven civilizations in other worlds. Are elves generally able to use high magic in other worlds, or is that a capability for worlds with the Weave or Weave equivalent?

Ed Greenwood — 02/20/2023 3:03 AM

Yes, many elves departed to other worlds. No, there's very little support or traffic/communications between elven settlements on various worlds. Everyone has high magic, but it takes different forms; elves are very closely linked to their environments.
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1170 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2023 :  13:15:52  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On anywhere on Toril that would be particularly known for having naturally-occurring tornadoes

JacobJ — 02/20/2023 4:11 AM

@Ed Greenwood Is there anywhere on Toril that would be particularly known for having naturally-occurring tornadoes (akin to the United States’ Tornado Alley), and, if so, what do the residents there do about it?

Ed Greenwood — 02/20/2023 4:22 AM

Yes. The north shore of the Lake of Steam, and just northwest of Ulgarth. In both cases, it discourages settlement and travel (Ulgarth to the Realms west and north is largely by ship, not overland), and has prevented large-scale mining in the mountains north of the Lake of Steam, which as a result (hint, hint) are full of untapped veins of ore, and gems, nigh the surface.
Go to Top of Page

questing gm
Master of Realmslore

Malaysia
1170 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2023 :  13:31:10  Show Profile  Visit questing gm's Homepage Send questing gm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On the blueshine treatment against rust monsters

Sheepy — 02/20/2023 4:37 AM

@Ed Greenwood In Volo's Guide to All Things Magical, the blueshine treatment purges rust and prevents further rust. The everbright treatment is explicitly described as making metal immune to the effects of rust monsters. So does this mean that blueshine will prevent naturally-occurring rusting, but not the rust caused by rust monsters? As always, thank you!

Ed Greenwood — 02/20/2023 4:42 AM

That's right. And everbright keeps blades sharp and supple, too. Blueshine is the treatment for a pitted or flaking blade.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000