Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Welcome to Candlekeep
 Well Met, and Welcome to the Forums
 Oh Realms, how ive missed you
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

DewnMoutain
Acolyte

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2023 :  03:52:15  Show Profile Send DewnMoutain a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Well hello there.
thought id change things up with the subject line. seems everyone is content to say "hi", " hello", or even a "hail!" line. Not me. not Dewn. I love an original opening.

So, who am i?
I am a 42 yr old married guy from up north that stumbled upon his old 3.0 FR map that he had the foresight to have laminated 20+ years ago. I used to spend hours a day reading and rereading the 3.0 book, just basking in all the lore, the rumors, the plots, the epic level characters. I actually had a couple adventures set in FR. One as a character, another as a DM. I had read the drizzt books (to that point), and the cleric quintet. Read a couple other books of the series, but at the time, Dragonlance was my jam. Loved that series like it was a third arm ( im sure there's a joke there). So i didnt give FR the due it deserved. But, try as i might with dragonlance, i just couldnt get players invested with that series. More often than not, they had read FR, beyond the drizzt novels. I had not; so i immediately poo-pooed any inclinations to run such a game in the FR setting.
but now, 20 years later, ive given up on DL setting. Ive read some of the books beyond the big trilogies set by MW and TH, but the campaigns ive attempted in DL are rather lacking. the people who enjoyed DL have since evaporated, gone on to other settings.

i predominately play RPGs on paizo's website. i love PF1, and run it exclusively. (truth be told, id love love love to get into an ADnD FR game. Got a dwarf all set up!). Ive been fairly successful with playing there, to the point where people recognize my DM screenname there. (im not so full of myself to think that they will drop ongoing games to join one of mine).

i sit here now, this oct 25 2023, having just discovered this website, and i see that i am about 20 years too late to get into the nitty gritty of the popularity that this website held. Again, 20 years will do that. only the truly dedicated will remain devoted to a game setting, which explains the long lapses in responses found on this website. I write this not to complain, but just to be honest with myself. Seems once again i am rediscovering something awesome from my mid 20s that i dropped due to enlisting, and now as i look these things up, i learn that they were popular during the 00s and early '10s, but then slowly start to fade.

so what do i hope to get out of this? im not sure. Maybe this post will generate some folks to reply back to me, and a small nugget of activity will return to this website. Perhaps this message will linger out there, unread until another person finds this website on accident, and feels compelled to post a Howdy message for all of us to read at some point. Perhaps something in-between.

anywho, Hi, im adam! and yes, i am a blacksmith!

feel free to say hi to me any time.

Yes, i am a Blacksmith

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2023 :  08:33:00  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met, DwenMoutain

Welcome to Candlekeep, the greatest library in all the Realms. Worry not on your late arrival, for there are many scrolls, tomes and articles of lore to keep ye here for a long time to come. Enjoy thy stay amongst fellow scribes and loreseekers and let me know if I can be of any assistance.

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Giant Snake
Seeker

57 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2024 :  00:21:28  Show Profile Send Giant Snake a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It sounds like you read the books the same time I started them. I’ve read the first two Drizzt novels many times. Always feels like coming home.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2024 :  06:02:49  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For me, Candlekeep remains the superior place to discuss Realmslore in a respectful, comprehensive and coherent fashion. But fashion and 5 second “post-bites” appear to be what engages the fan base these days. That and an inability to Google the simplest of FR topics. Welcome. Post your thoughts, postulations and queries here. They will be answered.

— George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000